PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Smoke Screens

flippy
04-30-2011, 12:30 AM
So far this draft has been played brilliantly by Tomlin/Colbert.

1st they fooled most everyone with the Mike Pouncey talk. Probably got him overdrafted in the process. But all the while, they were really covering up their look at Marcus Gilbert who makes a lot more sense to me. The Steelers need tackles for the long term. Guards can be found anywhere. And in the end they got one of the DEs to drop who they were targeting in the 1st.

Then they had everyone believing they were looking to take Aaron Williams in the 1st round. That was another cover for Curtis Brown who is a much more talented cover corner. And coverage in the slot is what we desperately need. I had a feeling Brown was the guy we sent everyone to Texas to really look at.

So far, nicely played. Keep it going tomorrow.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 12:37 AM

1st they fooled most everyone with the Mike Pouncey talk. Probably got him overdrafted in the process. But all the while, they were really covering up their look at Marcus Gilbert who makes a lot more sense to me. The Steelers need tackles for the long term. Guards can be found anywhere. And in the end they got one of the DEs to drop who they were targeting in the 1st.

Then they had everyone believing they were looking to take Aaron Williams in the 1st round. That was another cover for Curtis Brown who is a much more talented cover corner. And coverage in the slot is what we desperately need. I had a feeling Brown was the guy we sent everyone to Texas to really look at.

Brandon Harris turns into Ryan Hill.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-30-2011, 12:40 AM

Great post Flippy -

I never realized that. Both of our 2-3 round picks were masked beautifully by realistic decoys. I think Tomlin learned his lesson with the Revis-gate experience. I truly believe there is an art to disguising your pre-draft activity and appears "Mikey" is mastering it.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2011, 12:41 AM

I agree with everything you just said flippy.

I'm worried about how that could have happened... :)

StarSpangledSteeler
04-30-2011, 12:42 AM

Don't you think Hill will be there in the 5th or 6th?

flippy
04-30-2011, 12:44 AM

He's a heck of an athlete. I never even considered this possibility. I can't wait to see tomorrow's picks.

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2011, 01:02 AM

Don't you think Hill will be there in the 5th or 6th?

I was thinking 7th/UDFA range...

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 10:17 AM
I won't blow my source till after he comes off the board but as soon as he does (not saying it will def. be to the Steelers) I will let you guys in on it.

Steelgal
04-30-2011, 10:21 AM
I still think if Pouncey would have fallen into the low-mid 20's, they might have made a play for him. But then again, I was hoping they'd make a play for Prince A. and they didn't so I could be wrong about Pouncey too :lol:

feltdizz
04-30-2011, 10:38 AM
We were never going after Pouncey. Change his last name to Smith and he would be a 2nd rounder or still on the board. Maurkice's performance last year raised Mike's stock.

Did we really have smoke screens? Tomlin said CB's weren't as important as the front 7 and we went with Ironhead II in the first. I think we started the Williams talk but I'm not sure...

I do most of my research on here and on the gazette and it sounded like everyone but colbert and tomlin were throwing out Pouncey and Williams.

Chadman
04-30-2011, 11:26 AM
Tomlin's smoke screens are awesome- tell you EXACTLY what he's thinking & wait for you to convince yourself he's bluffing...

See Timmons, Lawrence...