PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Brown SWEET!!

steelerkeylargo
04-29-2011, 11:08 PM
http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... tis-brown/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/03/07/2011-nfl-draft-profile-curtis-brown/)

Would have been happy with him in the 2nd.

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 11:11 PM
Carnell Lake has already said that Curtis Brown was a steal in the third, I completely agree. :tt2

anger 82&95
04-29-2011, 11:14 PM
Will he be able to contribute in the nickel package next season?

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2011, 02:21 AM
Will he be able to contribute in the nickel package next season?

Pittsburgh Steelers Should Immediately Benefit from Curtis Brown's Proven Special Teams Prowess

by Michael Bean on Apr 30, 2011

http://cdn2.sbnation.com/entry_photo_images/1150846/52956_oklahoma_st_texas_football.jpg

A quick post about the Pittsburgh Steelers' third round pick in the 2011 NFL Draft -- cornerback Curtis Brown out of the University of Texas. We'll have plenty of time this spring and summer to size up Brown and where he might fit into D!ck LeBeau's defense in 2011 and beyond. But provided the soft-spoken Texan avoids a serious injury before the start of the new season, Brown will make this year's roster and have a chance to at least make an impact on special teams.

That's a good thing, because looking at Brown's efforts on special teams while on the 40 acres at UT, he was quite the star. In each of his first three seasons with the Longhorns, Brown either led, or was tied for the team lead in special team tackles. As a freshman in '07, Brown recorded nine ST tackles; he tied for the team lead with nine more as a sophomore in '08; and finally in '09, Brown pulled off the three-peat, leading the team for the third consecutive year with 15 ST tackles, while adding a blocked punt to his resume for good measure.

Yes, please. I like. The Steelers were in the hunt for a seventh Lombardi Trophy last year in large part because they were so much better on ST than the previous year. Drafting Brown gives the Al Everett a very competent, experienced, and willing ST contributor as Pittsburgh tries to again aid its offense and defense with solid ST play in '11 and beyond.

Go Brown! Welcome my man! And Go Steelers!

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... rtis-brown (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/4/30/2144377/2011-nfl-draft-results-steelers-picks-third-round-curtis-brown)

Oviedo
04-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Reminds me of Deshea Townsend.

I don't think we fixed anything in the secondary. Our issue wasn't getting another nickle CB it was keeping Ike and getting a legit #2. Brown is a nice pick but we still have major secondary issues.

phillyesq
04-30-2011, 07:42 AM

I don't think we fixed anything in the secondary. Our issue wasn't getting another nickle CB it was keeping Ike and getting a legit #2. Brown is a nice pick but we still have major secondary issues.

I'm not sure steelers could have fixed cb issues. Williams and Harris were not great values, and Dowling has more risk than you'd like for a first rounder. Anthony Madison played dime last year, so this could be an instant upgrade. I'd consider another corner if available in 4th or 5th, but this is a good start.

aggiebones
04-30-2011, 08:06 AM
I agree that there wasn't a real replacement option for us in this draft. That said Brown is a nothing pick to me. Another soft tu player. We keep trying since casey, but rarely do they pan out. Lifes to easy on the 40 acres with so much talent there. But as we all know talent ia not how you stay in the nfl. Talent just gets you there.

Chadman
04-30-2011, 08:41 AM
Sorry Ovi- going to disagree.

The Steelers biggest issues against the pass were when thet were spread out with multiple recievers. Adding Brown is likely to be an upgrade to the nickle CB spot- the spot where Willie Gay was getting shown up.

It's an upgrade with the potential for a future starter.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-30-2011, 09:52 AM
I'm not sure the Steelers intensions ARE to fix the #2 spot in this draft for 2011?

When FA begins, the list of visits will answer that.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-30-2011, 10:02 AM

:Agree

steelernation77
04-30-2011, 10:05 AM
Wow if Curtis Brown turns into Townsend I'll be very pleased. Townsend was a solid starting CB for several years. We should be so lucky with a 3rd round pick.

steelerkeylargo
04-30-2011, 10:13 AM
Wow if Curtis Brown turns into Townsend I'll be very pleased. Townsend was a solid starting CB for several years. We should be so lucky with a 3rd round pick.

I would have to agree. Plus Curtis is taller and faster than DeShea ever was.

anger 82&95
04-30-2011, 10:49 AM
ESPN quote: "He is fluid enough to hold up in underneath coverage ."

flippy
04-30-2011, 11:25 AM
Sorry Ovi- going to disagree.

The Steelers biggest issues against the pass were when thet were spread out with multiple recievers. Adding Brown is likely to be an upgrade to the nickle CB spot- the spot where Willie Gay was getting shown up.

It's an upgrade with the potential for a future starter.

I'm with Chadman on this one. Curtis "Charlie" Brown is a huge pick.

But even bigger is getting Carnell Lake as a coach. I'm expecting a Koogs like impact on our secondary. Gay and BMac are talented football players. They both have their strengths and I'm hoping Carnell can get them both to the next level.

But Brown in the slot and there's a lot of upside here.

Plus I still think there's 2 Ike Taylors left in this draft in Davon House and Cortez Allen and I'm hoping the Steelers land one of them.

Chadman
04-30-2011, 11:28 AM
Chadman will go one further- Bryant McFadden WAS NOT as bad as we say he was- until he suffered that hip injury that effected his speed & agility.

Before that point he was going ok.

flippy
04-30-2011, 11:33 AM
Chadman will go one further- Bryant McFadden WAS NOT as bad as we say he was- until he suffered that hip injury that effected his speed & agility.

Before that point he was going ok.

I agree. BMac fits our system perfectly.