PDA

View Full Version : Curtis Brown CB, Texas Rd 3 pick

MadSteel
04-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Good looking player, but needs to tackle better? Not the typical CB selected by us, but oh well.

MeetJoeGreene
04-29-2011, 10:23 PM
we wont have to worry about him getting fined/suspended for laying out defenseless receivers....

SteelBucks
04-29-2011, 10:24 PM
He listed at only 185 lbs. He needs to get a little stronger.

WoodleyofTroy
04-29-2011, 10:25 PM
Good looking player, but needs to tackle better? Not the typical CB selected by us, but oh well.

Pretty sure that's a positive.

NJ-STEELER
04-29-2011, 10:26 PM
imo tackling can be thought a lot easier then what to do when trailing a receiver by 3 yards like some of our corners.

looks like he can play the ball well (what we're really in need of) from the highlight package they showed

sentinel33
04-29-2011, 10:27 PM
you can say bye to Anthony Madison.

Brown was an ACE gunner for Texas.

That's what is great about this pick. He helps on ST and on Def.

I read that he played alot on the outside cause A. Williams couldnt handle it.

Really nice selection by the steelers here.

papillon
04-29-2011, 10:27 PM
Has anyone seen him play or are we assuming he's not that good because he lasted until the third round? Just askin...

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 10:29 PM
I said before the draft that I wanted to get an o-lineman, a d-lineman, and a defensive back after the first three rounds. Didn't matter what order they took them in, as long as they took the best value at that time. Heyward, Gilbert, Brown...DE, OT, CB. Works for me.

PSU_dropout43
04-29-2011, 10:31 PM
wexell tweet -

I've liked Curtis Brown all long but the scouts worried about his slight build. Lake just said basically he's a steal at bottom 3.

CLake says Curtis Brown was Texas' best cover corner, that they thought Aaron Williams was a safety, that low ints due to teams avoidg him.

NJ-STEELER
04-29-2011, 10:38 PM

Brown was an ACE gunner for the Texans.

nice

assures he gets a hat on gameday

MeetJoeGreene
04-29-2011, 10:47 PM

Brown was an ACE gunner for the Texans.

nice

assures he gets a hat on gameday

Very good point.

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 10:49 PM
Steelers pick Texas CB in third round

By Scott Brown, PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, April 29, 2011

http://randyweber.com/images/Curtis_Brown.gif

The Steelers addressed their most glaring need in the third round of the draft when they took Texas cornerback Curtis Brown.

The 6-foot, 185-pounder started 10 games last season for the Longhorns, registering 26 tackles and an interception.

Brown is the second Texas cornerback to go in the draft. Aaron Williams, a player at whom the Steelers had looked closely, was picked by the Buffalo Bills early in the second round.

"Curtis Brown is a quick cornerback," Steelers defensive backs coach Carnell Lake said. "He was probably (Texas`) best cover corner."

The Steelers will make four picks Saturday when rounds four through seven are held.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1KxmRJWkF (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_734764.html#ixzz1KxmRJWkF)

insanesteelersfan
04-29-2011, 10:49 PM
I don't have a problem with Brown as a 3rd rounder. But lets be clear, Brown is not a great run defender. Not because of his size, but because of his Insticnts, which are very poor. But he can turn his hips and run with any WR..( Plays faster then he times )..
but when he thinks he can make a play on the ball, he doesn't trust himself, and does not react. This needs to be Improved. And no matter what, Brown's size, and very weak bodt will never make him a Big Hitter. He is a good tackler though, just not a big hitter. I mean he makes Prime Time Sanders look like Ronnie Lott :mrgreen:

But there is skills there to work with. But no way will he unseat either of Maddison, Lewis or Butler this year. He will likely be a non active guy each game this season.

MaxAMillion
04-29-2011, 10:51 PM
I wanted Brown over Williams and I am glad we got him. He is a better coverage DB than Williams. I do think Williams will become a heck of a safety however.

I really like how the Steelers have gone about fillthing their big weaknesses. Tomorrow will interesting to see if they continue to fill needs or go with BPA.

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 10:52 PM
I don't have a problem with Brown as a 3rd rounder.

But no way will he unseat either of Maddison, Lewis or Butler this year. He will likely be a non active guy each game this season.

Curtis Brown was an ace gunner for the Longhorns, Anthony Madison's services will no longer be needed.

papillon
04-29-2011, 11:00 PM
Nothing horrible here that I can see...it will take him some time I'm sure, but he should be able to help STs immediately.

Run Support: Not the most physical cornerback, but is aggressive to the ball against the run and bubble screens. Very effective cut tackler to knock down backs coming in his area. Gets to the ballcarrier's outside shoulder to force plays to the linebackers and safeties inside. His slight frame allows larger, aggressive receivers to push him around on the edge despite his willingness mix it up. Works to get through those blocks, sometimes getting to the ballcarrier despite being held up initially.

Tackling: Likes to throw his body into the play but lacks strength and is very inconsistent in his fundamentals. Makes open-field tackles against receivers and as a gunner on special teams units. Closes quickly, mirroring lateral movement, and breaking down to get a hand on elusive ballcarriers. Capable of planting receivers when staying square and moving his feet through the ball. Will chase plays on his side of the field. Throws a shoulder into running backs when supporting the run near the line, but fails to consistently keep his head up and wrap, allowing them to bounce off to extend the play. Larger receivers and quarterbacks can shed his tackle attempts when he does not stay square and low.

Pappy

sentinel33
04-29-2011, 11:14 PM
I don't need my cornerbacks to be heavy hitters. I need them to be solid tacklers.

Sounds like he has this area covered.

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 11:38 PM
There’s Your Cornerback: Curtis Brown to the Steelers

Posted on April 29, 2011 by adam

Breathe easy, Pittsburgh, your thirst for a cornerback in the 2011 draft has been satisfied (I’m guessing) with the selection of Curtis Brown from the University of Texas in the third round.

Brown had been talked about as a possibility in the second round, and perhaps in the first round in some cases, but was still on the board for the Steelers to grab at No. 95. This tells me one of two things: Either some of these guys like Brown and Brandon Harris would have been considerable overdrafts in the first round (and in the case of Brown, the first two rounds) or they simply weren’t valued as highly around the league as some of experts valued them.

Here’s what Mike Mayock had to say about Brown shortly after the Steelers selected him: “Solid 3rd-round guy. Can play off coverage, he’s got to get a little bit stronger. He’s a long corner, he’s got press ability … he’s got to tackle a little bit better.”

Before the draft Mike Tomlin talked about how “big people go first” and the Steelers stayed true to that in the first three rounds, adding linemen on both sides of the ball in Rounds 1 and 2 before snatching up Brown at the end of the third. Obviously, Ike Taylor’s future is still anybody’s guess, and Brown will be fighting for playing time with Bryant McFadden, William Gay, Crezdon Butler and Keenan Lewis.

According to new defensive backs coach Carnell Lake, via Ken Laird on Twitter, teams threw away from Brown at Texas because he was a better cover man and that he can help the Steelers on third downs this year. Jim Wexell tweets this from Lake: “CLake says Curtis Brown was Texas’ best cover corner, that they thought Aaron Williams was a safety, that low ints due to teams avoiding him.” And this: “Carnell doesn’t think the Steelers will look at Brown as a return man, but of course expects him to play gunner/jammer.”

And that wraps up Day 2; the Steelers come back on Saturday with four more picks, one in each of the remaining rounds.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/c ... #more-5118 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/cornerback-curtis-brown-steelers/#more-5118)

insanesteelersfan
04-30-2011, 12:00 AM
Hawaiian: All due respect, Brown has never been considered a 1st rounder. And no respected site had him in round 2. A couple of Yo-Yo sites did, but none of the good ones. Look I like him as a late 3rd rounder. But he is not All-world. He does have alot of experience facing 4 and 5 WR sets, so that's good. But he is not a Ball-Hawk CB. And his instincts need work.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-30-2011, 12:41 AM
[yawn]

I like the fact that he can play STs, too, but as a corner, explain how this is much of an upgrade over Willie Gay?

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2011, 12:54 AM
Hawaiian: All due respect, Brown has never been considered a 1st rounder. And no respected site had him in round 2. A couple of Yo-Yo sites did, but none of the good ones. Look I like him as a late 3rd rounder. But he is not All-world. He does have alot of experience facing 4 and 5 WR sets, so that's good. But he is not a Ball-Hawk CB. And his instincts need work.

Insane: All due respect, but I consider Walter Football a good site and they had us taking CB Curtis Brown at 2(63) and we ended up getting even greater value for Brown when we actually selected him at 3(95).

Carnell Lake has already stated that Curtis Brown was a steal at the end of the third round. Do you consider it possible that Lake knows more about DBs than you do?

Walter Football 2011 NFL Mock Re-Draft: Round Two

2(63) http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/steelersb_logo.gifPittsburgh Steelers: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas http://www.walterfootball.com/college/Texas_logo.gif

The Steelers passed on Aaron Williams at No. 31. That's fine, because they can use this selection on a cornerback. They've shown interest in Curtis Brown.

http://www.walterfootball.com/draft2011redraft_2.php

insanesteelersfan
04-30-2011, 01:00 AM

Insane: All due respect, but I consider Walter Football a good site and they had us taking CB Curtis Brown at 2(63) and we ended up getting even greater value for Brown when we actually selected him at 3(95).

Carnell Lake has already stated that Curtis Brown was a steal at the end of the third round. Do you consider it possible that Lake knows more about DBs than you do?

2(63) http://www.walterfootball.com/images/fball/steelersb_logo.gifPittsburgh Steelers: Curtis Brown, CB, Texas http://www.walterfootball.com/college/Texas_logo.gif

The Steelers passed on Aaron Williams at No. 31. That's fine, because they can use this selection on a cornerback. They've shown interest in Curtis Brown.

Walter football is NOT a credible site...( LOL )..and yes I did see their Mock that had us taking him in round 2...I didn't agree with it, but I do agree with him in the 3rd round. And C.Lake is hardly the end all be all of talent evaluators. He is a young guy as it goes to the coaching game. Yes I'm sure he knows alot about safties. But Brown is not a safety.

Chadman
04-30-2011, 01:04 AM
Curtis Brown was pretty much the 5th or 6th best CB on all of the horrible, disreputable draft sites Chadman visited- and they nearly all had him going in the 2nd Round.

Chadman's guessing that the Steelers coaches must only have access to the reputable sites.

Or maybe the depth & strength of the CB class wasn't factored in (along with the over drafting of QB's) and CB's are the guys feeling the pinch due to a glut of quality players?

SteelCrazy
04-30-2011, 01:17 AM

Walter football is NOT a credible site...( LOL )..and yes I did see their Mock that had us taking him in round 2...I didn't agree with it, but I do agree with him in the 3rd round. And C.Lake is hardly the end all be all of talent evaluators. He is a young guy as it goes to the coaching game. Yes I'm sure he knows alot about safties. But Brown is not a safety.

Carnell Lake knows a lot about safeties, but Brown is not a safety? So what! I remember Lake playing CB just as well or better than he did playing safety. Guy was awesome....Walter Football is a credible site, one of my favorites. Not trying to pick on you, but you sound like you are just trying to argue.

WoodleyofTroy
04-30-2011, 01:19 AM

Then what sites are credible?

hawaiiansteel
04-30-2011, 02:16 AM
CB Curtis Brown: Why Steelers Fans Should Be Excited

by Peter Bean on Apr 30, 2011

Howdy, fellow Steelers diehards. My name is Peter Bean, and I am, in no particular order: (1) a diehard Pittsburgh Steelers fan, (2) the older brother of our fearless leader here at BTSC, and (3) a Texas Longhorns diehard. If you love college football and follow the Longhorns, you may know of my sister SB Nation site, Burnt Orange Nation.

In other words: I might be the most qualified individual in the universe to write on a Steelers blog about a draft pick who played his college ball at the University of Texas. Mike asked me to say a few words on Curtis Brown, Pittsburgh's third-round draft pick, and I'm more than happy to oblige.

To begin with, let's start with what my brother notes as "the one knock on Brown: his diminutive size." I don't necessarily take issue with Michael's characterization of Brown's size, generally speaking, but the follow-up question I'd insist needs to be asked is: "Relative to what?"

Curtis Brown certainly may look diminutive, but first of all, that's in part a reflection of his body type, and second and more importantly, at 6-0, 185 lbs, Brown's size isn't a limiting factor. Don't just take my word for it, though. Take a gander at the six cornerbacks who made the 2011 Pro Bowl: Darrelle Revis (5-11, 198), Devin McCourty (5-10, 193), Champ Bailey (6-0, 192), DeAngelo Hall (5-10, 192), Brent Grimes (5-10, 181) and Antoine Winfield (5-9, 180). Their average height: 5-11. Their average weight: 190 pounds. Which is to say: If Curtis Brown doesn't make it as a corner in this league, it won't be because he's too small.

The second thing that needs to be said about Curtis Brown -- and Mike nailed this in his overview -- is that Brown has been a work-in-progress at defensive back. Brown was an insanely gifted athlete in high school who played wide receiver, receiving a five-star rating from recruiting services on his otherworldly athletic gifts alone. No, he wasn't going to play wideout going forward, but yes, he was so jawdroppingly gifted athletically that there was no question that he was a five-star recruit.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/601582/Curtis_Brown_Combine

Curtis Brown at the NFL Combine

What have we established so far? First, Curtis Brown is not too small to play cornerback in the National Football League. Second, as of Friday evening the most athletic player on the Steelers roster might just be Curtis Brown. Seriously, I'd love to see Brown and Mike Wallace go at it in a jock-athalon, just to see what those two could push each other to do athletically.

Back to the topic at hand, the issue with Curtis Brown is not whether he's big enough or whether he's athletic enough -- he passes both perfectly well -- but whether he can be an NFL-caliber cover corner. Obviously, Brown wouldn't have been a third-round draft pick if that question was definitively settled, so I won't call out anyone who wants to argue that he won't/can't. But if the question is whether Curtis Brown was a good third round draft pick for the Steelers, there's a lot less room for debate. Curtis Brown has all the physical tools to develop into a quality starter, and maybe even a great one.

To be fair, in returning to the six corners who made the 2011 Pro Bowl, it's worth noting that all six were first-round picks. Which is to say that while Curtis Brown's size may be overblown as an issue, that he was a third-round pick does tell us something meaningful. What I am suggesting, then, is that the question with Curtis Brown is whether he is going to prove to be a run-of-the-mill third round pick (solid talent, with potential to play and perhaps play at a starter level) or whether he has the potential to be something more than that.

In conclusion, what makes Curtis Brown a highly attractive draft pick are his supreme physical gifts, which are second to none. What makes him a third-round pick is his inexperience and work left to do to be an NFL-caliber cover corner. And what makes him a great selection by Kevin Colbert and Co. is the combination of those two facts. As a first-round selection, the development Brown still has in front of him would make him a questionable reach. But as a third-round selection, the upside he has as an athlete make him a fantastic bet. It's certainly possible he won't pan out, but he's athletic enough and underdeveloped enough that he has the kind of upside you're just not likely to find in a third-round pick. I'm glad that Kevin Colbert doesn't reach in the first round. But I love how he's eager to look for high upside players in the second and third rounds. See, Woodley, Lammar (2nd Round). Wallace, Mike (3rd Round).

Speaking of which, Mike Wallace is an appropriate comp for this pick. The odds of Curtis Brown being as spectacularly successful as Wallace are not good, but the odds of Wallace panning out as well as he did were far from a sure thing when he was drafted, as well. Wallace lacked polish, but had freakish athleticism that gave him a special amount of upside.

That's Curtis Brown. Steelers fans shouldn't expect a polished shutdown corner who's ready to play every down from his rookie season on. But they should see in his profile the kind of potential that gives Pittsburgh a shot at grabbing a first-round talent before he's been able to put it all together.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -longhorns (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/4/30/2144387/cb-curtis-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-draft-texas-longhorns)

phillyesq
04-30-2011, 07:59 AM
Curtis Brown was pretty much the 5th or 6th best CB on all of the horrible, disreputable draft sites Chadman visited- and they nearly all had him going in the 2nd Round.

Chadman's guessing that the Steelers coaches must only have access to the reputable sites.

Or maybe the depth & strength of the CB class wasn't factored in (along with the over drafting of QB's) and CB's are the guys feeling the pinch due to a glut of quality players?

Chadman, shame on you for hanging around those shoddy, disreputable sights. :D

Colbert should know better than to use any evaluation tools other than the big board.

papillon
04-30-2011, 08:35 AM
CB Curtis Brown: Why Steelers Fans Should Be Excited

by Peter Bean on Apr 30, 2011

Howdy, fellow Steelers diehards. My name is Peter Bean, and I am, in no particular order: (1) a diehard Pittsburgh Steelers fan, (2) the older brother of our fearless leader here at BTSC, and (3) a Texas Longhorns diehard. If you love college football and follow the Longhorns, you may know of my sister SB Nation site, Burnt Orange Nation.

In other words: I might be the most qualified individual in the universe to write on a Steelers blog about a draft pick who played his college ball at the University of Texas. Mike asked me to say a few words on Curtis Brown, Pittsburgh's third-round draft pick, and I'm more than happy to oblige.

To begin with, let's start with what my brother notes as "the one knock on Brown: his diminutive size." I don't necessarily take issue with Michael's characterization of Brown's size, generally speaking, but the follow-up question I'd insist needs to be asked is: "Relative to what?"

Curtis Brown certainly may look diminutive, but first of all, that's in part a reflection of his body type, and second and more importantly, at 6-0, 185 lbs, Brown's size isn't a limiting factor. Don't just take my word for it, though. Take a gander at the six cornerbacks who made the 2011 Pro Bowl: Darrelle Revis (5-11, 198), Devin McCourty (5-10, 193), Champ Bailey (6-0, 192), DeAngelo Hall (5-10, 192), Brent Grimes (5-10, 181) and Antoine Winfield (5-9, 180). Their average height: 5-11. Their average weight: 190 pounds. Which is to say: If Curtis Brown doesn't make it as a corner in this league, it won't be because he's too small.

The second thing that needs to be said about Curtis Brown -- and Mike nailed this in his overview -- is that Brown has been a work-in-progress at defensive back. Brown was an insanely gifted athlete in high school who played wide receiver, receiving a five-star rating from recruiting services on his otherworldly athletic gifts alone. No, he wasn't going to play wideout going forward, but yes, he was so jawdroppingly gifted athletically that there was no question that he was a five-star recruit.

http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/601582/Curtis_Brown_Combine

Curtis Brown at the NFL Combine

What have we established so far? First, Curtis Brown is not too small to play cornerback in the National Football League. Second, as of Friday evening the most athletic player on the Steelers roster might just be Curtis Brown. Seriously, I'd love to see Brown and Mike Wallace go at it in a jock-athalon, just to see what those two could push each other to do athletically.

Back to the topic at hand, the issue with Curtis Brown is not whether he's big enough or whether he's athletic enough -- he passes both perfectly well -- but whether he can be an NFL-caliber cover corner. Obviously, Brown wouldn't have been a third-round draft pick if that question was definitively settled, so I won't call out anyone who wants to argue that he won't/can't. But if the question is whether Curtis Brown was a good third round draft pick for the Steelers, there's a lot less room for debate. Curtis Brown has all the physical tools to develop into a quality starter, and maybe even a great one.

To be fair, in returning to the six corners who made the 2011 Pro Bowl, it's worth noting that all six were first-round picks. Which is to say that while Curtis Brown's size may be overblown as an issue, that he was a third-round pick does tell us something meaningful. What I am suggesting, then, is that the question with Curtis Brown is whether he is going to prove to be a run-of-the-mill third round pick (solid talent, with potential to play and perhaps play at a starter level) or whether he has the potential to be something more than that.

In conclusion, what makes Curtis Brown a highly attractive draft pick are his supreme physical gifts, which are second to none. What makes him a third-round pick is his inexperience and work left to do to be an NFL-caliber cover corner. And what makes him a great selection by Kevin Colbert and Co. is the combination of those two facts. As a first-round selection, the development Brown still has in front of him would make him a questionable reach. But as a third-round selection, the upside he has as an athlete make him a fantastic bet. It's certainly possible he won't pan out, but he's athletic enough and underdeveloped enough that he has the kind of upside you're just not likely to find in a third-round pick. I'm glad that Kevin Colbert doesn't reach in the first round. But I love how he's eager to look for high upside players in the second and third rounds. See, Woodley, Lammar (2nd Round). Wallace, Mike (3rd Round).

Speaking of which, Mike Wallace is an appropriate comp for this pick. The odds of Curtis Brown being as spectacularly successful as Wallace are not good, but the odds of Wallace panning out as well as he did were far from a sure thing when he was drafted, as well. Wallace lacked polish, but had freakish athleticism that gave him a special amount of upside.

That's Curtis Brown. Steelers fans shouldn't expect a polished shutdown corner who's ready to play every down from his rookie season on. But they should see in his profile the kind of potential that gives Pittsburgh a shot at grabbing a first-round talent before he's been able to put it all together.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... -longhorns (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/4/30/2144387/cb-curtis-brown-pittsburgh-steelers-draft-texas-longhorns)

This is a good starting point for a third round pick who should help STs, IMO.

Pappy

Chadman
04-30-2011, 08:52 AM

Chadman, shame on you for hanging around those shoddy, disreputable sights. :D

Colbert should know better than to use any evaluation tools other than the big board.

A thousand apologies Good Sir...Chadman will only use the highest quality Guess Sites...oh, umm...Mock Draft Sites...for future reference..

Shoe
04-30-2011, 11:41 AM
I don't need my cornerbacks to be heavy hitters. I need them to be solid tacklers.

Sounds like he has this area covered.

Doesn't matter what you need; you do realize our defense "needs" it's corners to come up to support the run. It's not a scheme where we ask them to turn their backs to the QB and just run with receivers. They have to come up and support.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-30-2011, 01:05 PM
well here is my question. If Burton or Cannon are still on the board when the select in the 4th, you have to take one wouldn't you? I would say most definately yes. Select Cannon, then you let Colon walk and put the money somewhere else. If you take Burton, you have to feel alot better about the CB spot.

hawaiiansteel
05-16-2011, 01:53 AM
Getting to know: Curtis Brown

May, 13, 2011
By James Walker

http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2011/0509/nfl_u_cbrown_jh_200.jpg

Third-round pick Curtis Brown could see playing time early in Pittsburgh.

Friday we take a look at former Texas cornerback Curtis Brown, who was taken in the third round by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Depending on what happens in free agency, Brown could be asked to play a large role in Pittsburgh's secondary as a rookie.

Here is the full scouting report on Brown via the draft guide of Sporting News:

Strengths: Is a tall, quick-footed and athletic cornerback. Shows quick feet, good agility and balance, which enables him to change directions quickly. Has the speed to stay on the receiver's hip. Willing to put his hands on the receiver at the line of scrimmage to slow his release. Is aggressive closing on the receiver and going for the pass. Can come up the field and make good tackles in run support.

Weaknesses: Must improve his footwork and backpedal. Sometimes gets caught with his eyes in the backfield, loses contact with the receiver and does not recover to make a play on the ball. Isn't as physical as he needs to be against receivers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... rtis-brown (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/27530/getting-to-know-curtis-brown)