PDA

View Full Version : Post Round 1 Nose Tackle Rankings

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 03:02 PM
we got younger at DE with Cameron Heyward yesterday, but Big Snack and Hoke aren't getting any younger either...

Post Round 1 Nose Tackle Rankings

by Parks Smith on Apr 29, 2011

There are still a lot of viable options at Nose Tackle for the Steelers for the rest of the draft. Phil Taylor was target number one for a lot of fans, but that ship has sailed.

1. Stephen Paea, Oklahoma State, 6'1, 303: A lot of people are going to feel like the Skins will have to take Paea tonight to be the NT of the future. Paea is a nice prospect but I don't think he's the best fit for the 3-4. He's a bit undersized and I think better value can be found a little later in the draft.

2. Kenrick Ellis, Hampton, 6'5, 346: Ellis is my guy, he's the one I want the most at NT at this point. The biggest knock on Ellis is he has had past work ethic and character issues, he started his career at South Carolina but was forced to leave.

3. Jerrell Powe, Ole Miss, 6'2, 330: Early on Powe was the highest ranked NT in this draft but he has dropped quickly. He's another 3rd or 4th round guy. It seemed like he tried to spend more time this year working the gaps, but he needs to learn to be more of an anchor on a 3-4 line.

4. Sione Fua, Stanford, 6'2, 310: Fua will most likely go in the 5th, but he could move up to the 4th. He did have a very solid season and was excellent at taking up multiple blockers. He's a little undersized, but presents good value later in the draft.

5. Ian Williams, Notre Dame, 6'1, 310: I'm not a big fan of Williams, he's a bit undersized. But he had a solid season and is another value guy in the 5th or 6th round.

Last Resort? Diesel's boy the "Vanilla Gorilla" Blaine Sumner out of the Colorado School of Mines.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2011/4/29/2142 ... e-rankings (http://www.hogshaven.com/2011/4/29/2142860/post-round-1-nose-tackle-rankings)

insanesteelersfan
04-29-2011, 03:23 PM
Sir, I like Ellis as well. But there are Major Character Issues. But I still like him

Paea is very very strong ( 49 Reps at 225 )...but that's because he has very short arms, and is Bull chested. Also, Paea looks like someone stuck an Air Hose up his Butt and hit the High Button :lol: In other words, he's not getting bigger or stronger.

I think the one name you forgot, and he led a GREAT West Virgina Defense, and that's Chris Nield. The guy is the EXACT same height and weight as Casey Hampton when he was drafted. And unlike Hampton, who at Texas never played in a 3-4 set, Nield has. He LOVES to do the dirty work, and let his teammates clean up. He is the leader of that great defense. Why so many sites have him as a late 6th or even a 7th rounder is a Mystery to me. Don't sell this guy short...he could truly be the DIAMOND in the rough.

PSU_dropout43
04-29-2011, 03:29 PM
wexell -

Big positive in drafting Steelhead Heyward: 3-4 DE board is depleted. They liked Kenrick Ellis as a DE, but he had weed issues as SCarolina.

NJ-STEELER
04-29-2011, 05:08 PM
Would we even have room for another DL on the roster?

Kiesel. Smith. Hamp. Hoke. Evander. Hayward.

THats 6 on the roster. Take another chance to overdraft at another position and get picked off the practice squad

sentinel33
04-29-2011, 05:33 PM
I agree with njsteeler.

Those 6 linemen can absolutely get the job done this year. definately look for a DT we might be able to hide away and develop. 6-7 round slider/prospect.

But hopefully we can fill both of our last 2 remaining needs in these two rounds without having to move up and use picks.

Yesterday was nice and the organization is pretty frickin pumped about gettin steelhead.
Especially without having to give up picks to get him.

Here's to a duplicate for Rounds 2 and 3. :Cheers

focosteeler
04-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Would we even have room for another DL on the roster?

Kiesel. Smith. Hamp. Hoke. Evander. Hayward.

THats 6 on the roster. Take another chance to overdraft at another position and get picked off the practice squad

Hoke is a FA though isnt he?

NJ-STEELER
04-29-2011, 08:11 PM
i dont see either party not wanting to re sign

good back up, even better in the locker room

steelers love those kind of guys