PDA

View Full Version : The perfect storm for a CB run

steelblood
04-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Several teams like the Texans, Lions, and Eagles passed on cornerbacks in the first round. They will likely take one in the second. Aaron Williams and Ras-I-Dowling present great value early in the second. Curtis Brown and Brandon Harris present good value in the middle of the round. Teams who don't really need a corner could select one of these players because they are BPA on their board. The combination of need and good value should lead to a feeding frenzy and perhaps teams trading up to get the guy they want.

But, the Steelers and their fans will likely only be spectators in the feeding frenzy. The Steelers unfortunately probably don't have the ammunition to move up into the first half of the 2nd round unless they are will to part with their 2nd round pick next season.

Who do you think will be left in the 2nd half of the round and worthy of the pick?

Davon House? Brandon Burton?

ramblinjim
04-29-2011, 08:43 AM
I'd be totally happy with Davon House and either Skrine or Allen in the 5th.

MeetJoeGreene
04-29-2011, 08:48 AM
Yeah. I am kind of worried that we are going to miss out on a some of the good CB now.

We will probably take the best TE at the end of the 2nd.

ramblinjim
04-29-2011, 08:49 AM
I don't know college football like some of the guys on the board, is there a TE that will be there towards the end of the second who projects to be any better than Spaeth?

steelblood
04-29-2011, 08:51 AM
I'd be totally happy with Davon House and either Skrine or Allen in the 5th.

House could be a good pro. But, he is likely not ready to start for 1-2 years minimum. Still, I'd be okay with that pick.

steelblood
04-29-2011, 08:53 AM
I don't know college football like some of the guys on the board, is there a TE that will be there towards the end of the second who projects to be any better than Spaeth?

It has been rumored that the Steelers like Kendricks form Wisconsin. He is the anti-Speath. He is a little undersized at 6-3 and 240. But, he is a good blocker for his size and is very mobile and athletic. He has good hands and speed. But, he is probably more of an H-back (David Johnson's position) than an inline blocker (Spaeth's position).

Chadman
04-29-2011, 09:45 AM
Rashard Carmicheal might fit as a late 2nd CB.

What if Rahim Moore falls? Could he play nickle?

Quinton Carter from Oklahoma is a good player too.

But maybe 'quality' might be found in other positions- OG/LB or as mentioned- TE?

ramblinjim
04-29-2011, 09:47 AM
If Moore falls and we picked him at the end of the second, that would be a secondary upgrade. Not a CB but still a secondary upgrade.

steelblood
04-29-2011, 09:51 AM
If Moore falls and we picked him at the end of the second, that would be a secondary upgrade. Not a CB but still a secondary upgrade.

Moore at the end of the second would be a big surprise. But, it would be a huge pick. Moore is a ballhawk capable of playing nickel and dime corner. He would play as a rookie in passing situations and would be good. Plus, Carnell Lake already knows him and his strengths and weaknesses.

Chadman
04-29-2011, 09:53 AM
Not sure Davon House will make it past mid-way throught the 2nd.

What if the Steelers decided to upgrade CB through speed guys? Carmichael ran quick- Van Dyke from Miami & Buster Skrine could be had around the 4th round...that's some serious speed upgrades..

papillon
04-29-2011, 10:34 AM
Rahim Moore or Kenrick Ellis for me at 2.63

Rudolph or Kendrick at TE wouldn't be bad either and there are plenty of cornerbacks left, I have to think one of good quality will fall to 2.63

The Steelers should be able to hit a homerun in the second and third round today with the depth in this draft at positions the Steelers would like to upgrade.

I wouldn't mind Leonard Hankerson if he's there at 2.63 (I have no idea where he's graded). He's a big target with some size to him (6' 2" and 209#, 4.40).

Ziemba, Rackley and Cannon are still there as well from an O-line perspective.

I hope the Steelers stand pat and make their selections when it's their turn on the clock and don't try to move up or down. They should get a quality player at 2.63.

Pappy

sentinel33
04-29-2011, 11:08 AM
I can see Pittsburgh trading up with minnesota. they need a 3rd rounder.

The Steelers have had a good trading relationship with minnesota since before tomlin got there. With him there i bet he could get them to take a 3rd this yeart and our 2nd next year to get there #2 this year. We could get that Upper echelon cb we need to stay in contention.

I'm down. We still have 4-7 rounds to address depth etc.

insanesteelersfan
04-29-2011, 11:16 AM
Rashard Carmicheal might fit as a late 2nd CB.

What if Rahim Moore falls? Could he play nickle?

Quinton Carter from Oklahoma is a good player too.

But maybe 'quality' might be found in other positions- OG/LB or as mentioned- TE?

Chad: Carmichael is at best, for us a 4th round talent. No way in round 2. We'd be smarter to take the Nebraska Kicker at 63 :lol:

steelblood
04-29-2011, 11:39 AM
Not sure Davon House will make it past mid-way throught the 2nd.

What if the Steelers decided to upgrade CB through speed guys? Carmichael ran quick- Van Dyke from Miami & Buster Skrine could be had around the 4th round...that's some serious speed upgrades..

Carmichael has great instincts and plays tough. He could help as a nickel corner - eventually a #2 corner. Not a high ceiling on him though which is why I'd prefer Curtis Brown or House if they last.

Skrine is a nickel only and a small school guy. I wouldn't consider him until the 4th.

Van Dyke lost the starting job at Miami and is very slight, not really a steeler type. He has speed and movement skills, but he is a later round project pick, imo (round 4-6).

birtikidis
04-29-2011, 01:31 PM
I'm hoping for either Hudson or Moore to somehow fall that far. I still think that Guard is the biggest need for us. If we could get Hudson, I'd be pretty happy with it.

MeetJoeGreene
04-29-2011, 06:21 PM
Looks like it is panning out that way.. first 2 picks were CB