PDA

View Full Version : Trade up in the 2nd--PLEASE!

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
04-29-2011, 07:07 AM
Imagine a scenerio where we trade up in the 2nd and get A. Williams, B. Harris or Ras I-Dowling. Even if it costs our 3 and 4, I think it is worth it! Cameron Heyward and one of these guys would make our draft.

Oviedo
04-29-2011, 07:42 AM
Get a feeling that if we don't trade up we may see Lance Kendrick in Round 2 at #63.

D Rock
04-29-2011, 08:26 AM
Get a feeling that if we don't trade up we may see Lance Kendrick in Round 2 at #63.

I had a dream last night that this happened.

Of course in that same dream Kendricks was from Arkansas and so was our unidentified 1st round pick.

So I wont put much stock into that one.

ramblinjim
04-29-2011, 08:44 AM
I'm still "pimpin" Davon House in the second. He may still be there towards the end of the round.

steelblood
04-29-2011, 08:46 AM
Even if we traded our 2nd and 3rd round picks we'd only be able to move up about 12 spots. That likely won't be enough for Dowling, Williams, or perhaps even Harris. The only way we move up into the first half of the round is if we are willing to deal multiple picks including high 2012 picks.

ramblinjim
04-29-2011, 08:48 AM
if we wanted to do that, what would our 2nd, 3rd and 6th move us up to? Maybe the top 15 in the round? I've no idea.

steelblood
04-29-2011, 08:56 AM
if we wanted to do that, what would our 2nd, 3rd and 6th move us up to? Maybe the top 15 in the round? I've no idea.

Those picks would equal about 410 on the trade value chart.

That would get us to the 17th pick of the second round (if we received equal value).

Chadman
04-29-2011, 09:04 AM
Or.....stat where they are & get to pick from guys like Brandon Burton, Rahim Moore, Sam Acho & Orlando Franklin.

The draft is deep at CB, no need to trade picks away for minimal upgrades like Dowling over Burton or even Curtis Brown.

With guys like Phil Taylor, Ngata, Terrence Cody & the like in the Steelers conference- could a big, massive individual like Orlando Franklin be of benefit? Gotta nullify those big DL from our rivals...how best to do it? Fight fire with fire.

One guy Chadman keeps thinking might fit very nicely is Rashard Carmicheal- good, fast CB with a great attitude & could play nickle right away.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 10:03 AM
Or.....stat where they are & get to pick from guys like Brandon Burton, Rahim Moore, Sam Acho & Orlando Franklin.

The draft is deep at CB, no need to trade picks away for minimal upgrades like Dowling over Burton or even Curtis Brown.

With guys like Phil Taylor, Ngata, Terrence Cody & the like in the Steelers conference- could a big, massive individual like Orlando Franklin be of benefit? Gotta nullify those big DL from our rivals...how best to do it? Fight fire with fire.

One guy Chadman keeps thinking might fit very nicely is Rashard Carmicheal- good, fast CB with a great attitude & could play nickle right away.

Not a fan of Burton or Carmichael at CB. I don't think either of them are any better than McFadden, to tell the truth. I've made my desire to trade up for Dowling clear already (don't want to make it seem like I'm beating a dead horse at this point). If Curtis Brown fell to #63, I'd be happy with that (I have a feeling that our front office like Curtis Brown better than his Longhorn teammate Aaron Williams...just a hunch). Rahim Moore would be excellent value if he fell. At guard, I prefer someone like Will Rackley in the 3rd to Orlando Franklin in the 2nd. Not a big Acho guy either.

insanesteelersfan
04-29-2011, 10:41 AM

Chad is right. Look, I LOVE Aarton Willimas, Ras I Dowling, and even Rahim Moore as a safety. But truth be told, I can also think of about MAYBE 4 to 7 players who we can probably nab LOWER then 63. In fact, I might actually TRADE DOWN from round 2. Okay, if for some Odd reason based on Dowling's Iffy health, he starts to do a round 2 drop like Cameron Jordan and Gabe Carimi did in round 1. And Dowling gets to our pick, of course we take him. But, if he is gone, as well as Aaron Williams and Brandon Harris, then we can't REACH for players I DO NOT feel are Guaranteed players. Players like Davon House, who is not that much better then CB's we can get in round 3 with a trade down. So why trade up ? Only player I might deal up in round 2 are ones who I KNOW can play, and maybe start right away. A player like the Villinova OL Ijalana, who because of a non-serious injury could not attend the senior bowl, or work out for teams, and his stock may drop, and drop because of that. But watch the game film. Kid is very good. Or the FSU C/G Rodney Hudson, also very good, in fact maybe the best technique OL in this draft. Now if either one of those two, for whatever reason fall past the first 25 picks in round 2, THEN if I were Colbert, I might be on the phone to see if I can move up.

Also remember, this morning is when I thought the league owners were going to clarify the judges order of business as usual. In other words, I know there could be no player trades last night. But from what I understand, there very well could be trades of players today and on Saturday. And if that is the case, and if we can trades players, I wonder what a team like the Niners would give us for Dennis Dixon ? I read somewhere where they actually liked him. No, I'm not asking for their pick at 45. But who knows what we could get.

But with that said, I am NOT in favor of trading our 3rd and 4th for anyone left in round 2, when we didn't even offer that to move up in round 1 when we could have targeted guys like Jordan or Carimi. Sorry but they certainly are not gonna do it for Aaron Williams, or Ras I Dowling in round 2 ( And they shouldn't either )

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-29-2011, 10:42 AM
If you really want to make the move, you call the Vikings and offer this years 2nd & 3rd and a 2012 3rd to move up to 43. Thats what it would take. Vikings don't have a 3rd this year I believe. Is it worth it after we took BPA in the 1st? Not completely sold we have to move up. If you look at need, the Steelers board should look like this:

CB
Williams
Harris
Dowling
Brown
Burton

OL
Ijalana
Cannon
Hudson
Franklin
Gilbert

I'm pretty sure guys below (in no order) will be off the board in the 2nd before the Steelers:

Bowers DL
Houston DE
Austin DL
Ayers LB
Dalton QB
Mallet QB
Kaepernick QB
Harris CB
Ijalana OL
Cannon OL
Cobb WR
Pea DL
Moore S
Williams DB
Hudson OL
Smith WR
Rudolph TE
Ballard DE
Reed DL
Franklin OL
Wilson LB
Lesheure RB
Williams RB

That's 23. That leaves 7 slotted before the steelers. Maybe Dowling & Brown will be in that group somewhere. But there is a chance Dowling or Brown may be there. I know they like both Dowling & Brown but if they are gone, go the other direction. Gilbert may still be there or maybe someone looks at OT & goes with Franklin & Hudson falls in our lap. I would sit pretty until Harris & Williams come off the board. When the next CB comes off, if they feel confident in the other, make calls and try to position yourself but give up no more than a 3rd this year. There are some CB prospects in the 3rd that may be able to contribute. I get the feeling if they stay at #63 and no CB grades out they will look to move back. If they can't trade back, I believe they may take Gilbert if Hudson is gone.

Other names they have shown interest in graded in the 2-3 range:
Ellis DT (If determined character not issue and on the Steelers board.)
House CB
Burton CB
Rackley OL
Kendricks TE
Little WR (If determined character not issue and on the Steelers board.)
Patrick CB

papillon
04-29-2011, 11:10 AM
The first round run on quarterbacks early is going to benefit the Steelers in rounds 1 and 2. They will be able to wait out the selections of 30 other teams and then take a player that they have on their board at 2.63. Good players are getting pushed down into the second round because of what happened early in the evening last night.

Pappy

steelblood
04-29-2011, 12:03 PM
The first round run on quarterbacks early is going to benefit the Steelers in rounds 1 and 2. They will be able to wait out the selections of 30 other teams and then take a player that they have on their board at 2.63. Good players are getting pushed down into the second round because of what happened early in the evening last night.

Pappy

I disagree. Locker and Ponder would have gone by pick 40 anyway. I don't think it will necessarily push down any more players to 63.

It did help them in the first though.

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 01:56 PM

we made Saint Lebeau a very happy man with the Heyward pick, now it's time to make Brucie a happy camper... :tt2

papillon
04-29-2011, 02:47 PM

Pappy

I disagree. Locker and Ponder would have gone by pick 40 anyway. I don't think it will necessarily push down any more players to 63.

It did help them in the first though.

Maybe they would have gone by 40 and maybe not. I still think that players some teams believed would be gone are still available and as these teams change their strategy based on these players being available it helps the downstream teams like the Steelers and Packers. There is going to be a good football player available at 2.63 and I believe he'll be better than what the Steelers had originally planned.

Just my opinion...

Pappy

Shawn
04-29-2011, 04:22 PM
If you really want to make the move, you call the Vikings and offer this years 2nd & 3rd and a 2012 3rd to move up to 43. Thats what it would take. Vikings don't have a 3rd this year I believe. Is it worth it after we took BPA in the 1st? Not completely sold we have to move up. If you look at need, the Steelers board should look like this:

CB
Williams
Harris
Dowling
Brown
Burton

OL
Ijalana
Cannon
Hudson
Franklin
Gilbert

I'm pretty sure guys below (in no order) will be off the board in the 2nd before the Steelers:

Bowers DL
Houston DE
Austin DL
Ayers LB
Dalton QB
Mallet QB
Kaepernick QB
Harris CB
Ijalana OL
Cannon OL
Cobb WR
Pea DL
Moore S
Williams DB
Hudson OL
Smith WR
Rudolph TE
Ballard DE
Reed DL
Franklin OL
Wilson LB
Lesheure RB
Williams RB

That's 23. That leaves 7 slotted before the steelers. Maybe Dowling & Brown will be in that group somewhere. But there is a chance Dowling or Brown may be there. I know they like both Dowling & Brown but if they are gone, go the other direction. Gilbert may still be there or maybe someone looks at OT & goes with Franklin & Hudson falls in our lap. I would sit pretty until Harris & Williams come off the board. When the next CB comes off, if they feel confident in the other, make calls and try to position yourself but give up no more than a 3rd this year. There are some CB prospects in the 3rd that may be able to contribute. I get the feeling if they stay at #63 and no CB grades out they will look to move back. If they can't trade back, I believe they may take Gilbert if Hudson is gone.

Other names they have shown interest in graded in the 2-3 range:
Ellis DT (If determined character not issue and on the Steelers board.)
House CB
Burton CB
Rackley OL
Kendricks TE
Little WR (If determined character not issue and on the Steelers board.)
Patrick CB

While I want Dowling in a bad way, if we stay put we should have a great player fall into our laps.

I think the most likely guys are House, Kendricks, Cannon, Hudson