View Full Version : 5 guys went in the 1st that I didn't give 1st round grades

steelerkeylargo
04-29-2011, 02:54 AM
Locker
Ponder
Baldwin
Carpenter
Watkins

I will say I really liked Carpenter a bunch though. Gave both him and Watkins early 2nd round grades. Locker, Ponder and Baldwin were major reaches IMO.

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 03:08 AM
Locker, Ponder and Baldwin were major reaches IMO.

2011 draft will be remembered for quarterback reaches

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 29, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/c-ponder21.jpg?w=232

It’s not Christian Ponder’s fault the Vikings took him too high. It’s not Jake Locker’s fault that Vince Young’s tantrums and lockout uncertainty left the Titans desperate for a quarterback.

But life in the NFL isn’t always fair, and the NFL minted four new “franchise quarterbacks” in the top 13 picks on Thursday night that aren’t likely to be ready for the role.

Cam Newton, Blaine Gabbert, Locker, and Ponder will have to overcome a lot to become successful pros, starting with unfair expectations created because their teams reached too high to take them.

Newton has all the raw talent in the world, but the Panthers will have to be patient and build the team around his unique skills. He’ll have to learn how to overcome adversity, but he’s the one guy in this group that would have gone high in any draft.

Locker is coming off a very disappointing senior season and faces serious questions about his accuracy. The Titans chose him at No. 8 over Blaine Gabbert because Locker is such a good athlete and they love his intangibles. Vince Young was also a better athlete than a passer

Gabbert was hyped by the draftniks as a top-five quarterback because he looked the part despite a college career that didn’t blow anyone away. He has plenty of talent and athleticism, but it’s worth noting the following quarterback needy teams passed on him: Buffalo, Cincinnati, Arizona, San Francisco, Tennessee, and finally Washington, who traded their No. 10 pick to Jacksonville.

(Consider it a red flag when Mike Shanahan has no legitimate quarterback and passes on a mobile one.)

Ponder, taken No. 13 overall by the Vikings, was the night’s biggest surprise. Coming off an injury-plagued senior season without a great arm, Ponder doesn’t fit the profile of a top-15 pick. Vikings fans certainly didn’t think so; they booed the selection at a team-sponsored draft party Thursday night.

“The thing we went back and forth on was, ‘When are you going to get another chance to swing?’ If Ponder was gone, would we get another opportunity to take a quarterback in this draft?” Vikings VP of Personnel Rick Spielman said. “We didn’t want to take that risk.”

Translation: We reached for him.

“Quarterback was a huge need for us,” Spielman said. “Everybody knows that.”

Spielman wasn’t alone, which made a lot of teams go nutty for an unremarkable quarterback class. There were more teams than usual looking for starting quarterbacks, even before the lockout started. The lack of free agency and trades before the draft compounded the problem, making teams anxious to fill their depth charts and sell their fanbases on new hope.

Four quarterbacks were taken in the top 13 this year, but this isn’t like when Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, and Ben Roethlisberger all went in the top 11 in 2004. This fourpack of quarterbacks is a boom or bust group, and they are bound to get some decision makers fired.

We’re actually surprised that teams didn’t trade back into the end of the first round to grab TCU’s Andy Dalton or Arkansas’ Ryan Mallett. That means we could have another quarterback frenzy to start day two of the draft.

At least the cost Friday won’t be as high as it was for Newton, Locker, Gabbert, and Ponder.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... k-reaches/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/29/2011-draft-will-be-remembered-for-quarterback-reaches/)

D Rock
04-29-2011, 08:05 AM
I bet Locker and Ponder end up the 2 best.

They have the best supporting casts right now. Hand off to AP. Hand off to CJ.

Newton? He has to carry a franchise.

Gabbert? Who knows when he will even play. He does have time to sit and learn though, so he could easily be successful.

steelblood
04-29-2011, 08:59 AM

Gabbert? Who knows when he will even play. He does have time to sit and learn though, so he could easily be successful.

I'd bet on Gabbert. Jacksonville has some talent (especially on offense). If (as you point out) he gets a chance to play this year (even later in the season), he could be special.

feltdizz
04-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Carolina still has good running backs...

it's the passing game that sucked.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 09:16 AM
The only franchise QB decided to stay one more year at Stanford. I think the ceiling for all of these guys is average, at best.

Chadman
04-29-2011, 09:28 AM
Every team that took a QB reached.

That's drafting for need- and in the Vikings case, desperation.

Carolina front office staff should feel uneasy. They had a shot at a high quality DT, a high quality OLB & a high quality CB- all with few flaws, if any.

Instead they took a QB with many questions that need answering.

And gave up on a 2nd round pick from last season.

Dumb.

There is no way Newton was the best player in the draft. Guess that's why they are the Panthers & not the Steelers though, huh?

papillon
04-29-2011, 09:29 AM
The only franchise QB decided to stay one more year at Stanford. I think the ceiling for all of these guys is average, at best.

I mentioned in another thread that it is amazing to me that normally high IQ football talent evaluators get persuaded to over draft quarterbacks because you have to have a quarterback to be successful in the NFL. These same evaluators routinely take 2nd, 3rd and 4th round players and groom them into starting NFL talent over 2 or 3 years, but when it comes to a quarterback they feel like they have to take one if he's available, regardless of the grade assigned to the player.

These quarterbacks may all be good or they may be bad picks or somewhere in between. One thing is certain, by drafting them in the first round they will be paid a lot of guaranteed money and that prohibits bringing them along too slowly. At some point in the next two years they will all be playing, good or bad, simply because of the investment.

Personally, I think the teams that selected the quarterbacks in the top 10 made mistakes by taking them and letting players that have a better chance of being successful sliding into the later positions to teams that are already pretty good. Each of those teams could have had a player that is more NFL ready than the quarterback that was chosen.

Newton is going to have the biggest learning curve:

Never really played out of an NFL style huddle (he's going to have to learn how to command the huddle with veterans and rooks)

Was a one read and then use your feet to make a play quarterback

Will be learning a foreign language when he's learning the playbook and the terminology that he didn't have to know in college,because the plays weren't as complex.

His supporting cast with the Panthers is not very good.

I wish him luck and success, but, IMO the cards are stacked against him.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 09:32 AM
Every team that took a QB reached.

That's drafting for need- and in the Vikings case, desperation.

Carolina front office staff should feel uneasy. They had a shot at a high quality DT, a high quality OLB & a high quality CB- all with few flaws, if any.

Instead they took a QB with many questions that need answering.

And gave up on a 2nd round pick from last season.

Dumb.

There is no way Newton was the best player in the draft. Guess that's why they are the Panthers & not the Steelers though, huh?

Not to mention the next pick in the draft (33rd overall) would have been theirs if they hadn't stupidly traded it to New England for a late 3rd round pick last year in order to take the Appalachian State QB in order to try to convert him to a WR. Dumb@$$es.

WoodleyofTroy
04-29-2011, 11:09 AM
Baldwin is the third best WR in this draft, just like original 2011 mocks had him along before the season started. It's not his fault he had the worst starting QB and offensive playcalling in NCAA.

papillon
04-29-2011, 11:15 AM
Baldwin is the third best WR in this draft, just like original 2011 mocks had him along before the season started. It's not his fault he had the worst starting QB and offensive playcalling in NCAA.

I think he's going to be a good WR in the NFL. He high points the ball when it's thrown his way and he'll fight for it. His situation was untenable as WR in division I football. He was on a team without a legitimate divisions III quarterback (let alone Division I) and the offense was a train wreck; it's difficult to blame him for complaining,although, the better option would have been to stay quiet.

He'll be successful.

Pappy

PSU_dropout43
04-29-2011, 11:34 AM
Wexell twitter -

Kevin Colbert assured me two months ago that Baldwin was a first-rounder. He was right. Again. Pinkston said JB had best work ethic on team.