PDA

View Full Version : What would you like to see in rounds 2-7?

D Rock
04-29-2011, 01:22 AM
The DL just got younger. In my mind that leaves the needs at OL and CB. I want 2 of each still. And I would like to trade a 2nd for two 3rds (like they did a couple years ago) if there is a willing dance partner. I'll take the stance of it happening for now, because I want it to.

1. Cam Heyward (DE)
3a. Marcus Cannon (OT/OG)
3b. Curtis Marsh (CB)
3c. Austin Pettis (WR)
4. Cortez Allen (CB)
5. Alex Henery, (K/P)
6. Da'rel Scott (RB)
7. Jarriel King (OT)

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 01:43 AM
I'll co-sign that. Like all those players you listed. However, because Marcus Cannon requires chemotherapy for his non-Hodgkins lymphoma, I may not wait until round 7 to take another o-lineman. I'd probably swap WR and OL here, replacing Pettis with a guy like Joseph Barksdale or Jah Reid. Then use the 7th rounder that you used on King to take a flyer on a small school wideout like Ricardo Lockette from Fort Valley State or Cecil Shorts III from Mount Union.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-29-2011, 01:47 AM
2. Ras-I Dowling, CB, Virginia
3. Orlando Franklin, OG, The U
4. Bilal Powell, RB, The Ville

Wouldn't mind a solid WR (Greg Little, for example). While Mewelde is "solid", I'd like to see someone who could carry the load if Mendy went down... as well as a solid change of pace... Dion Lewis wouldn't be a horrible pick...

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 01:48 AM
let's start with Round 2:

I would prefer we draft one of the following CBs:

Ras-I Dowling, Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris, Curtis Brown or Davon House.

if it means that we have to trade up for a CB we really like, then let's do it.

Chadman
04-29-2011, 01:56 AM
Only going to give you the 2nd & 3rd round- we can see from there later..

But CB, OT/OG seem obvious. There was a mini-run on OT's toward the end of Round 1, so we are now looking at the 2nd tier guys. Marcus Gilbert & Marcus Cannon are the obvious ones. Chadman likes Gilbert better at this stage. Only 3 CB's have been chosen, which might mean better value towards the end of Round 2 at CB just through numbers. Chances are Williams, Harris, Dowling & House will be gone- but Curtis Brown, Johnny Patrick & Brandon Burton might be thereabouts come the end of Round 2. Would be happy with either of them- possibly happier than with Gilbert at this point. Don't think there is a NT worth a 2nd round pick. Rahim Moore, if available, might be a good choice. Although it won't fill a 'need', Sam Acho is certainly an interesting prospect that the Steelers showed interest in. Lance Kendricks is an option.

3rd Round could be a good spot to look for WR's, TE's, OG's or another DB even. Chadman likes Colin McCarthy about the 3rd, same with Quinton Carter the FS from Oklahoma. Need might have to be abandoned for value.

insanesteelersfan
04-29-2011, 01:58 AM
I don't think we have to trade up in round 2 for a CB. Yes, alot of us like Ras I Dowling. But he also has some issues as well. And if a guy like D.House falls to us, he would be just as good. Or a replacement for Hampton like Ellis. My dream of course would be a Tackle who has starting potential at RT from Day 1. But the Tackles I actually like are ones who will be available in the later rounds, Like Hairston from Clemson or David Mims. If we can come away with say two good young CB's like House and maybe Cortex Allen later on down the draft. A NT and a WR, 2 OL, one T and one pure G, and maybe either a FS or TE, then I will be content.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-29-2011, 02:05 AM
Only going to give you the 2nd & 3rd round- we can see from there later..

But CB, OT/OG seem obvious. There was a mini-run on OT's toward the end of Round 1, so we are now looking at the 2nd tier guys. Marcus Gilbert & Marcus Cannon are the obvious ones. Chadman likes Gilbert better at this stage. Only 3 CB's have been chosen, which might mean better value towards the end of Round 2 at CB just through numbers. Chances are Williams, Harris, Dowling & House will be gone- but Curtis Brown, Johnny Patrick & Brandon Burton might be thereabouts come the end of Round 2. Would be happy with either of them- possibly happier than with Gilbert at this point. Don't think there is a NT worth a 2nd round pick. Rahim Moore, if available, might be a good choice. Although it won't fill a 'need', Sam Acho is certainly an interesting prospect that the Steelers showed interest in. Lance Kendricks is an option.

3rd Round could be a good spot to look for WR's, TE's, OG's or another DB even. Chadman likes Colin McCarthy about the 3rd, same with Quinton Carter the FS from Oklahoma. Need might have to be abandoned for value.
as a homer opinion, i'm only lukewarm on patrick... IMO, Gay was a better college CB. Patrick has a better skillset, but, didn't maximize it as well. In his defense, Patrick was a JUCO all american... i think that's followed him along the way...

D Rock
04-29-2011, 02:11 AM
I'll co-sign that. Like all those players you listed. However, because Marcus Cannon requires chemotherapy for his non-Hodgkins lymphoma, I may not wait until round 7 to take another o-lineman. I'd probably swap WR and OL here, replacing Pettis with a guy like Joseph Barksdale or Jah Reid. Then use the 7th rounder that you used on King to take a flyer on a small school wideout like Ricardo Lockette from Fort Valley State or Cecil Shorts III from Mount Union.

I really like what I've seen of Pettis. He is my personal must have player. I want him to replace Ward as our 'slow' but 'deceptively fast' WR with really solid hands who is tough as nails and goes into crappy areas of the defense to make catches.

Wallace- Pure Speed
Pettis- Possession
Sanders- Slot
Brown- Exciting 4th WR, able to step in for the others when needed

That's solid, and I really want it. I think to make sure it happens, we need to draft Pettis late third, or acquire an early 4th. It will depend on what happens with the other WRs in this draft. If people like Young, Hankerson, dude from Maryland, and Jernigan are all gone come our 3rd round pick, I'd take Pettis immediately.

At the same time, Cannon is a scary situation. It might be worth passing on him and taking more of a sure-fire guy, although I'd love his upside in the 3rd. It's a tough choice made even tougher by my lack of knowledge of the situation and its prognosis.

focosteeler
04-29-2011, 02:16 AM
Im gonna go with this...

2 Ras I Dowling-CB/Kenrick Ellis-NT
3 Marcus Gilbert -OT
4 Curtis Marsh-CB/Austin Pettis WR
5 Chris Prosinski-S/Cortez Allen CB
6 Bruce Miller/Mario Harvey-LB
7 Frank Kearse-DT/David Mims OT

I want Dowling or Ellis im just hoping one of them is there. Marcus Gilbert in the 3rd Curtis Marsh or Pettis 4th. From then on its whoever is available

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 02:31 AM

I really like what I've seen of Pettis. He is my personal must have player. I want him to replace Ward as our 'slow' but 'deceptively fast' WR with really solid hands who is tough as nails and goes into crappy areas of the defense to make catches.

Wallace- Pure Speed
Pettis- Possession
Sanders- Slot
Brown- Exciting 4th WR, able to step in for the others when needed

That's solid, and I really want it. I think to make sure it happens, we need to draft Pettis late third, or acquire an early 4th. It will depend on what happens with the other WRs in this draft. If people like Young, Hankerson, dude from Maryland, and Jernigan are all gone come our 3rd round pick, I'd take Pettis immediately.

At the same time, Cannon is a scary situation. It might be worth passing on him and taking more of a sure-fire guy, although I'd love his upside in the 3rd. It's a tough choice made even tougher by my lack of knowledge of the situation and its prognosis.

I like Pettis as an option to potentially take over that "Hines role" going forward, but I think I actually like Hawaii's Greg Salas for that role a little bit better (and I believe that they are both being projecting in roughly the same area of the draft).

Oviedo
04-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Im gonna go with this...

2 Ras I Dowling-CB/Kenrick Ellis-NT
3 Marcus Gilbert -OT
4 Curtis Marsh-CB/Austin Pettis WR
5 Chris Prosinski-S/Cortez Allen CB
6 Bruce Miller/Mario Harvey-LB
7 Frank Kearse-DT/David Mims OT

I want Dowling or Ellis im just hoping one of them is there. Marcus Gilbert in the 3rd Curtis Marsh or Pettis 4th. From then on its whoever is available

I like your list...ALOT!!!!!!!!

I would throw Jah Reid in with Gilbert. IMO Reid will be better.

MeetJoeGreene
04-29-2011, 08:12 AM
I am thinking a TE in Round 2 and another WR in Round 3.

:Boobs

I like DeVille and D Rock's and Foco's lists

ramblinjim
04-29-2011, 08:47 AM
I'll stick with House in the second, Best OL in the third, Best DL in the 4th.

Does anyone know about that Howe kid from Mississippi? Could he be a sleeper NT for us?

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 09:13 AM

Good God, no. Secondary and o-line, baby...in whatever order the board dictates the most value when we pick.

Chadman
04-29-2011, 09:36 AM
Hmmm.....what if Martez Wilson falls to the late 2nd round?

Chadman
04-29-2011, 09:40 AM
QB's & CB's should dominate the early part of Round 2 as the more QB needy teams are all found before the middle of the round, and with guys like Williams & Harris falling out of the 1st & with good depth of talent like House, Dowling, Brown, Patrick & Burton - these guys 'should' get early looks. Not much in the way of OT talent available, but some OG/OC options come into play- Weisnewski, Hudson, Cannon, Ijalana- and the WR's are pretty strong from here. Kyle Rudolph should get some interest by mid round. Some DE/OLB types are going to be found here too.

Martez Wilson & Rahim Moore might be available late 2nd....

steelblood
04-29-2011, 09:43 AM
2nd round. I believe that Dowling, Williams, Rahim Moore, Kenrick Ellis, Greg Little, Akeem Ayers and Curtis Brown will all go in the first 15-20 picks of the second. I'd take one of those guys if they fell. The players I think we'll have a shot at and should consider are Davon House, Mikel Leshoure, and Leonard Hankerson.

3rd round. This gets tougher to predict. Brandon Burton would be a great 3rd round corner. He has the stuff to start and could help right away in nickel or dime situations. I also like CB Curtis Marsh, S Quinton Carter, and OT Marcus Gilbert.

4th-Tawain Jones RB, please.

5th-Cortez Allen CB

ramblinjim
04-29-2011, 09:44 AM
Wilson at 63 would be one of those "how in the h3ll did that happen" situations. My preference is still secondary, OL, DL heavy the rest of the way but you never know who could fall........

insanesteelersfan
04-29-2011, 11:37 AM

Good God, no. Secondary and o-line, baby...in whatever order the board dictates the most value when we pick.

Absolutely right sir. My HOPE is that league GM's are scared to draft Nova OL Ben Ijalana because of his hernia surgery........

04/07/2011 - Medical cases pros watching closely: OT Benjamin Ijalana, Villanova, Selection Range: 31st overall (Pittsburgh) to late second round...Because of hernia surgery, the top FCS offensive lineman in this draft missed the Senior Bowl and on-field work at the combine, the tools 2010 second-round pick and Colonial Athletic Association all-star Vlad Ducasse (UMass) used to land with the Jets. If unable to work out for teams before the draft, general managers throughout the league will have to make assumptions on his athleticism to set his grade. Naturally, teams don't like making assumptions on late first-rounders or early second-round picks. - Chad Reuter, NFLDraftScout.com .....

This is part of Ijalana's profile from CBS Sports. The rest of it can be read here....

http://www.cbssports.com/#!/nfl/draft/players/1277439

This dude is the only player EVER to be a finalist for the Outland award in the FCS level.
And this is a guy who CAN start for us at Guard, and fill in as a Tackle if needed right from day 1. And as a Guard,,,I'm not sure anyone can convince me that Mike Pouncey is better then he is. PLEASE Lord....let him fall to 63!!

WoodleyofTroy
04-29-2011, 12:00 PM
Keep in the mind, the 2nd round is usually off beat in that, that's where you start to see names you don't really here about, being called before the bigger names (1st round talents who slipped). This is where teams overdraft to get their guys. More need based.

You can do this for every draft, but I'll only use last year as a reference.

33 St. Louis Rams Rodger Saffold T Indiana
34 Minnesota Vikings Chris Cook CB Virginia
35 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Brian Price DT UCLA
36 Kansas City Chiefs Dexter McCluster WR Mississippi
37 Philadelphia Eagles Nate Allen FS South Florida
38 Cleveland Browns T.J. Ward SS Oregon
39 Tampa Bay Buccaneers Arrelious Benn WR Illinois
40 Miami Dolphins Koa Misi OLB Utah
41 Buffalo Bills Torell Troup DT Central Florida
42 New England Patriots Rob Gronkowski TE Arizona
43 Baltimore Ravens Sergio Kindle LB Texas
44 Oakland Raiders Lamarr Houston DE Texas
45 Denver Broncos Zane Beadles G Utah
46 New York Giants Linval Joseph DT East Carolina
47 Arizona Cardinals Daryl Washington ILB Texas Christian
48 Carolina Panthers Jimmy Clausen QB Notre Dame
49 San Francisco 49ers Taylor Mays SS USC
50 Kansas City Chiefs Javier Arenas DB Alabama
51 Minnesota Vikings Toby Gerhart RB Stanford
52 Pittsburgh Steelers Jason Worilds LB Virginia Tech
53 New England Patriots Jermaine Cunningham OLB Florida
54 Cincinnati Bengals Carlos Dunlap DE Florida
55 Dallas Cowboys Sean Lee LB Penn State
56 Green Bay Packers Mike Neal DE Purdue
57 Baltimore Ravens Terrence Cody DE Alabama
58 Houston Texans Ben Tate RB Auburn
59 Cleveland Browns Montario Hardesty RB Tennessee
60 Seattle Seahawks Golden Tate WR Notre Dame
61 New York Jets Vladimir Ducasse T Massachusetts
62 New England Patriots Brandon Spikes ILB Florida
63 Indianapolis Colts Pat Angerer OLB Iowa
64 New Orleans Saints Charles Brown T USC

I remember everyone predicting Kindle, Cody, Dunlap, Taylor Mays, and Charles Brown being the first off the board the next day, and look where they went.

grotonsteel
04-29-2011, 03:41 PM
I'll stick with House in the second, Best OL in the third, Best DL in the 4th.

Does anyone know about that Howe kid from Mississippi? Could he be a sleeper NT for us?

Powe was supposed to be one of the top NT for a 3-4 D before the college season started but his stock plummeted in 2010.

"Powe's stock is on the decline this season. He's trying to prove he is a gap-shooting 3-technique. Instead, his coaching staff should let him be an immoveable object at the line of scrimmage. Powe needs to play with more power and be an anchor on the line. "

Pass rush: Provides only a minimal pass rush. Has at least moderate initial quickness off the snap, but relies on size and power, not agility or technique to rush the passer. Good bull rush to push the blocker into the pocket. Provides good effort in lateral pursuit, but tires and is outrun easily.

Run defense: Short, squatty build conducive to stuffing the run. Comes off the snap low and hard, giving blockers a small target. Anchors well, even against double-teams, due to his girth and excellent lower-body strength. Creates a pile, opening up opportunities for easy tackles for teammates. Good power and vision to locate the football to stack and shed. Limited agility to chase down ballcarriers, but is surprisingly balanced working down the line to push them toward the sideline.

Explosion: Flashes an explosive initial burst, but is very inconsistent. Possesses explosive upper-body strength to rock offensive linemen back with his initial punch. Can walk the blocker deep into the pocket on his bull rush.

Strength: Good strength and use of leverage to hold his ground. Good upper-body strength to stack and shed blocks and has a good bull rush capable of collapsing the pocket. Strong enough to drag down some ballcarriers while engaged with blockers.

Tackling: A typical collision-style and drag-down hitter inside. Stacks and sheds at the point of attack and is able to catch and drag down ballcarriers quickly. Flashes some explosiveness as a hitter when he's given room to build momentum. Relies on his mass and strength to knock down the ballcarrier. Allows slippery and/or strong runners to escape because he doesn't wrap securely.

Intangibles: Older prospect; will be a 24-year-old rookie. Signed with Ole Miss out of high school in 2005, but struggled to gain academic clearance and was denied academic eligibility by the NCAA on three separate occasions. Wasn't able to fully participate until the 2008 season. Diagnosed with dyslexia and has gained help through a tutoring program.

feltdizz
04-29-2011, 05:15 PM

As crazy as it sounds I wouldn't be surprised if we ignored the "glaring weaknesses" for another year.

Fans tend to over react when it comes to team needs of the Steelers. If it takes 3 years for a CB to gel in our D why would we select one now when we have Butler and Lewis? I know we hate their progress but the FO is very patient when it comes to replacing players. Tomlin said pressure is more important than a lockdown CB and we did exactly like he said and drafted Heyward.

The Pouncey reunion was never going to happen and people spent all year fantasizing about it. Flozell should be back and while some hate to admit it Scott improved dramatically. We draft impact players and skill positions early and it works. I wouldn't be surprised one bit if we went LB, TE or) in the second round.

We do things different in the Burgh and it works.