PDA

View Full Version : Heyward videos and thoughts

D Rock
04-28-2011, 11:52 PM
First up...against Gabe Carimi and Wisconsin

[youtube:15vk0i0a]XjPsgcj2ufI[/youtube:15vk0i0a]

This is a good indicator of what he will face in the NFL...and he didn't do very well.

Pushed around, turned around, throw down....no where near the QB and only in on the tackle once early in the video.

So far....not impressed.

D Rock
04-29-2011, 12:03 AM
[youtube:3b1v96bk]kepXDCXe3IE[/youtube:3b1v96bk]

game against Illinois

more involved this game for sure. A couple big hits. Still disappointed how he seems to be easily stood up and pushed around too often though.

SteelBucks
04-29-2011, 12:07 AM
Watch the Sugar Bowl. He played hurt and still took over the game. I will admit though he had a better year as a Junior than as a Senior.

I'll be happy with the draft if they get Dowling in the 2nd.

D Rock
04-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Rose Bowl agaisnt Oregon

Like the motor in this one. He was a force. If this guys shows up on Sundays I"ll be plenty happy.

[youtube:2zpnooa0]inKtdfodCak[/youtube:2zpnooa0]

grotonsteel
04-29-2011, 12:14 AM
Not at all happy with this pick. Way too inconsistent.

How can you not draft Sherrod when he is on the board???

Lebsteel
04-29-2011, 12:21 AM
The Sporting News likes him:
http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-04-11/ohio-states-cameron-heyward-the-best-of-drafts-hybrid-ends

"Among all the defensive end prospects in the 2011 draft, Cameron Heyward is the most impressive hybrid model. Stamping his fine college career at Ohio State with a dominant performance against Arkansas at the Sugar Bowl in January, his fully loaded skill set is about to make a 3-4 NFL team very happy at the end of April."

That would be us!!!

Read more: http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2 ... z1KsmjMEYD (http://aol.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2011-04-11/ohio-states-cameron-heyward-the-best-of-drafts-hybrid-ends#ixzz1KsmjMEYD)

D Rock
04-29-2011, 12:27 AM
[youtube:25oitg0w]-eJHAOFNzKo[/youtube:25oitg0w]

This guy. The guy wearing #97. If he is the guys the Steelers just drafted, then I'm very happy.

If it's not this guy, and if it is more like the guy against Gabe Carimi (another potential legit NFL player) then I'm upset.

I can see where the title of 'inconsistent' comes from now. But when he's on, he's great.

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 12:35 AM
Steelers select Ohio State's Heyward in first round of NFL Draft

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-04-28/cheyward-a.jpg

Cameron Heyward

Position: Defensive end

Height: 6 feet 5

Weight: 294 pounds

College: Ohio State

Year: Senior

Notables: Versatile defensive end who can play in a 4-3 or 3-4 ... Similar size to Steelers defensive end Aaron Smith and has same skill set in which he uses his hands well, can control blockers and be effective in a two-gap scheme ... Doesn`t necessarily rush the passer well ... Benched 335 pounds and squatted 510 pounds in high school. ... Four-year starter ... Started 45 collegiate games and collected 157 tackles and 14.5 sacks ... Had Tommy John surgery on his elbow Jan. 11 ... Ran a 4.95-second 40-yard dash at Ohio State's Pro Day.

By Scott Brown
PITTSBURGH TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Friday, April 29, 2011

Addressing defensive line and not cornerback with their first-round pick Thursday night, the Steelers took Ohio State`s Cameron Heyward with the 31st overall selection of the 2011 NFL draft.

The 6-5, 294-pound defensive end is the son of the late Craig "Ironhead" Heyward, who starred as a running back at Pitt before playing 11 seasons in the NFL. Like his father, Heyward relishes physical play.

That attribute, along with his relentless style and ability to use his hands and shed blocks, prompted the Steelers to make Heyward the second defensive end they have taken with their first-round pick in the last three years.

"To be somewhere where you want to be is an unbelievable feeling," said Heyward, a Pittsburgh native who still has family in the area. "I always had a Terrible Towel."

Director of operations Kevin Colbert said Heyward was among the 20 players the Steelers had designated as having the potential to be special in the NFL. Heyward was the last of the 12 defensive linemen taken in the first round of the draft, which is a record.

"This is a special moment for this organization," Colbert said. "We got a guy we really wanted and still have all of our other picks."

The Steelers will make two picks Friday night, one each in the second and third rounds.

The Steelers have more of an immediate need at cornerback, especially since Ike Taylor is an unrestricted free agent who could hit the open market as early as next week. Despite that, the Steelers passed on Texas' Aaron Williams to take Heyward and get younger along their defensive line.

Starters Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are 35 and 32, respectively, and the former has suffered season-ending injuries three of the last four years.

Heyward, who played four seasons at Ohio State, recorded 94 tackles and 10 sacks in his 2009-10 seasons.

He had six tackles and a sack in Ohio State`s 31-26 win over Arkansas in the Sugar Bowl last January. Heyward excelled despite playing much of the game with a serious arm injury.

"I think he`s capable of doing it all," Steelers coach Mike Tomlin. "This is an impeccable young man."

Heyward tore ligaments in his elbow in the second quarter against the Razorbacks, and he underwent reconstructive surgery on Jan. 12. Limited at the NFL Scouting Combine in February, Heyward worked out for teams at Ohio State`s Pro Day on April 6, and he checked out medically with the Steelers.

"If minicamp started (Friday) I`d be there," Heyward said of his elbow.

Heyward lived in Monroeville for a couple of years growing up, and both of his parents went to Pitt. His grandparents live in Highland Park, and he has several aunts and uncles living in the area as well.

Heyward has already completed the requirements for the degree in education that he will officially receive in June. When asked what kind of player the Steelers are getting, he said, "A team-first kind of player that`s very accountable."

The Steelers are flying Heyward up from Atlanta Friday so they can officially introduce him to the Pittsburgh media.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1KsLlUNeL (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_734608.html#ixzz1KsLlUNeL)

flippy
04-29-2011, 12:53 AM
when he's on, he's great.

that about sums it up for me. reminds me of his dad in that respect.

bottom line, he's the perfect size and great athlete. i think it's gonna come down to his mental make up and effort. i'm sure the steelers have confidence in him as a person, so we'll probably be ok with this pick.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 01:18 AM
Heyward has already completed the requirements for the degree in education that he will officially receive in June.

Does this mean that the bullcrap quarter system rule that prevents OSU players from participating in OTA's until his class graduates won't apply to Steelhead since he already has completed the requirements to graduate?

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 01:24 AM

bottom line, he's the perfect size and great athlete. i think it's gonna come down to his mental make up and effort. i'm sure the steelers have confidence in him as a person, so we'll probably be ok with this pick.

Good size, good strength, good athleticism, good smarts, good leadership, good work ethic, good lineage. He won't participate much as a rookie except for as an inside pass rushing in nickel and dime situations, but he could be special when he puts it all together. Colbert's quote about getting one of his 20 designated "special" players without having to give up any other of our other picks makes me feel great. And watching that Sugar Bowl, in which he looked like a man amongst boys while dealing with a serious elbow injury goes to show what a high ceiling this guy has. The fact that he still has family in Pittsburgh (both parents went to Pitt) puts a neat, happy little bow on everything.

focosteeler
04-29-2011, 01:59 AM
The more i think about it the more i like it. I remember last year thinking if he came out that Heyward was who i wanted. He may not of put up numbers like he did last year but that usually happens after a breakout year.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 02:04 AM
The more i think about it the more i like it. I remember last year thinking if he came out that Heyward was who i wanted. He may not of put up numbers like he did last year but that usually happens after a breakout year.

Imagine if we are able to land Ras-I Dowling in round 2. If Cam Heyward and Ras-I Dowling came out last year, both of those guys would have gotten serious consideration (along with Maurkice Pouncey of course) with our 18th overall pick in 2010. Now, potentially, we could end up with all three of them. That would be downright awesome.

focosteeler
04-29-2011, 02:21 AM

Imagine if we are able to land Ras-I Dowling in round 2. If Cam Heyward and Ras-I Dowling came out last year, both of those guys would have gotten serious consideration (along with Maurkice Pouncey of course) with our 18th overall pick in 2010. Now, potentially, we could end up with all three of them. That would be downright awesome.

If that happened i probably would turn off the tv and not worry about the draft for the rest of the weekend

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 03:26 AM

Ohio State's Heyward a mirror image of his father

Thursday, July 29, 2010
By Colin Dunlap, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/201007/20100729osu_500.jpg

Gregory Shamus/Getty Images

Ohio State defensive lineman Cameron Heyward is projected to be a first-round pick in next year's NFL draft.

COLUMBUS, Ohio -- What could a defender do when powerful running back Craig "Ironhead" Heyward -- who weighed anywhere from 250-325 pounds during his playing days at Pitt and in the NFL -- ran the football directly at him?

"I would go straight-up with him, see how tough he really was, make him bring it," 6-foot-6, 287-pound defensive lineman Cameron Heyward of Ohio State said of his father, the late Ironhead.

A wide smile crossed Cameron's face.

"That's my mentality; I'd take it head-on, see who had the stronger head. I mean, they called him Ironhead, but I'd make him bring it."

Ironhead Heyward (who died in May 2006 at 39 from a brain tumor) would have been proud of the noggin-knocking response from his son. Cameron Heyward will be a senior for the Buckeyes this season and is one of the finest college defensive linemen in the country, projected to be a first-round NFL draft selection at season's end.

Cameron Heyward isn't one to back down from much.

That's the way you learn how to function when, as a kid you get the news that your stout, strapping, NFL-tough father might not have long to live. The man everyone called Ironhead for his impenetrable cranium had Chordoma, malignant growths that wrapped around his brain. He died after a seven-year fight.

"The doctor told him, 'This could be fatal,' and I was in there, I heard that when they told him," Cameron Heyward said. "That's not something easy to hear about your father, about someone who was my best friend. When I heard that, I didn't know what to think."

Cameron Heyward did not know what to think when the tumors forced a stroke, paralysis, blindness in his father before they killed him.

He did not know what to think when his father set off for hospice care, a destination with a presumed ending.

All he could do back then, while he was busy becoming a high school football star in Suwanee, Ga., was take it all in with his two younger brothers, watch and learn how his father dealt with his affliction.

Ironhead did not make it to Cameron's high school football senior night, dying in May between Cameron's junior and senior seasons.

It is not the very end Cameron remembers most, though. He recalls the selfless nature with which his father went about things, even when he knew his own time was dwindling.

"He was still writing to the others who were sick, encouraging them," Cameron Heyward said. "It was like, there's this big thing facing him, and he wasn't worried about himself, he was more worried about encouraging others he had met who were facing tough times. That says a lot about the type of man he was. He was just someone who was so willing to help others."

And those who know Cameron best say that is how he is, willing to help others, provide them with a smile any way he can -- the same way his father was and the same as his mother, Pittsburgh native Charlotte Heyward-Blackwell.

Cameron Heyward lived in Pittsburgh until he was about 7 and spent some teenage summers with his maternal grandparents in Highland Park. In February he returned to attend the wedding of his aunt, Shannon Jordan, to former Pitt football player Vernon Botts.

The young man who usually is noticed most when driving his burly shoulders into a quarterback made his impact this time with some strokes of a pen, and it left an indelible mark on his family.

"He took the time to sit and write a letter for the wedding," said Judy Jordan, his grandmother and retired Pittsburgh Public Schools fifth-grade teacher.

"When our daughter read it, she could barely hold it together from that point on. Cameron explained in that letter how happy he was for her and Vernon. Cameron wrote how our daughter's relationship inspired him to achieve that kind of happiness and how seeing them happy inspired him to want to be a great man every day.

"That was something very special. But that is just the kind of young man he is."

Heyward's grandfather, Rufus Jordan, a retired vice president of the city's teacher's union, added, "So humble. Cam is just so humble."

Cameron remembers that, as a boy, he was scooped up by his father and taken into the Atlanta Falcons' locker room after each home game.

"He was the big kid, the big joker," Cameron Heyward said. "He was just fun to be around."

So much so, it seems not much time passes between stories of his dad.

When someone -- particularly from one generation back -- bumps into Cameron, the talk always turns to his father.

"When you hear about my dad, it is almost like he's immortal," Heyward said. "You can definitely say, when he encountered a person, he inspired them, or he made them laugh, or after that meeting they at least remembered they had met him. He left an imprint.

"I guess that's what I carry with me most about him. He left an imprint, and it would be nice to think I could do the same."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/10210/1076103-142.stm

Djfan
04-29-2011, 10:53 AM
In one of those vids he looked like he waited to see what the play was before he would pressure in or just block up the line. He did nothing that play.

On the whole he seems to have too much of an upright (read: not under the pads of the O-lineman) posture too often. That can be coached.

He seems able to mess up the middle of the line well. Like his motor and playing injured.

I'm happy. Not too much was there to impress at 1.31 IMO, so I'm glad he shows so much upside and game.

Glad we got him.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-29-2011, 11:45 AM
First up...against Gabe Carimi and Wisconsin

[youtube:xirrqxda]XjPsgcj2ufI[/youtube:xirrqxda]

This is a good indicator of what he will face in the NFL...and he didn't do very well.

Pushed around, turned around, throw down....no where near the QB and only in on the tackle once early in the video.

So far....not impressed.
They showed 10 plays I believe. He had tackles in the first 2 & had an assist on another after he came down the line and he hustled back from behind to help. On one pass play he was chipped & on another he was doubled teamed.. On the 3rd, your right Carimi tried to throw him down, looked like a wrestling match, what a mugging. Carimi got the better of him on two plays. When he kicked inside (3 tech), Carimi got beat across his face on 3 plays and the RB made a cutback on 2. If Carimi is NFL OT and that is the outcome of 10 plays against him, That is a good body of work.

Remember when you watch, you see him playing 5 tech & 3 tech. So when he kicks inside and becomes a 1 gap penetrator, he did that well & he gave Carimi problems. You can see Carimi tackling him from behind. 5 & 3 have different responsibilities so make sure you know what Heyward's discipline is on each play. Also, look at the whole game. The link below if the OSU D against Wisconsin's O. For some reason, some plays aren't all there. You can watch this one and say you just saw two NFL players earn their paycheck. That's what they mean when the say you better bring you lunchbox because they went back & forth all day. I also watched this game and it was a battle. I remember thinking that Heyward gave Moffit & Carimi problems on many plays because of the holding. It was mentioned in the replays sometimes. There was one play where Heyward complaned to the official and it was caught on camera so they showed the replay. It was a running play where Heyward was at the 3 tech and beat Carimi's reach block inside and Carimi tackled Heyward. I believe that play is in the link below. Heyward was working hard on every play because he wasn't winning as easily as he was used to. He was up against another NFL prospect. Carimi is a force but it was a battle for both. I don't see any reason why you should be down on him because of his play against Wisconsin. If anything, you should see what kind of problems and how hard a good OT has to work to keep him in check. Any you know what, that is exactly what a 5 tech DE in a 3-4 is supposed to do. Keep the OL busy and off the LBs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HVlVLb3O1oc

Djfan
04-29-2011, 12:25 PM
Remember when you watch, you see him playing 5 tech & 3 tech. So when he kicks inside and becomes a 1 gap penetrator, he did that well & he gave Carimi problems.

I agree.

grotonsteel
04-29-2011, 01:31 PM
I am not excited with this pick but i will support him since he is a Steeler. How is he going to help Steelers immediately is unknown. He may be a starter 2-3 years down the line.

I still believe Sherrod was a better player and a pick at 31. Green Bay Packers did get great job drafting an OT. Sherrod and Bulaga will be their OT for next 10 years.