PDA

View Full Version : It's Cameron Heyward!!!

Dee Dub
04-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Nice pick. I'm happy.

:Cheers

Shawn
04-28-2011, 11:29 PM
Oh me too. You all are going to love this guy. He is going to be very special.

Dee Dub
04-28-2011, 11:32 PM

Yes...he is a very disruptive force who is very athletic for his size. Could probably put on a few more pounds and play at 310 and not lose anything but gain more power.

Heyward-Hampton-Hood!! Wow!! That could be very impressive. I know the LB's are happy.

aggiebones
04-28-2011, 11:39 PM
Yep I like it. I kinda wanted wheels. was hoping he would linger and we could trade up to 35. Alas...

StarSpangledSteeler
04-28-2011, 11:41 PM

I know the LB's are happy.

That is a very good point Dee Dub. We are built to funnel plays to our LB's. How can we do that unless our DL is drawing double teams? Heyward will draw double teams.

Also, most of the good teams force us OUT of our base package. We can't even run a 3-4 against the Pats, Colts, Saints, or Packers.

Now, in Hood and Heyward we've got two guys who can beat their man one-on-one and flat get after the QB, which draws the double team, makes our blitzes more effective, and helps our sorry a$$ secondary.

I don't love the pick but it is solid.

SteelBucks
04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
Love the pick (and not because I'm a Buckeye). Watch the Sugar Bowl and you'll see the type of player we're getting.

D Rock
04-28-2011, 11:42 PM
I'm indifferent at this point. I don't really know much about him, and I don't think DE was as pressing a need for a 1st round pick as some other positions (OT?...unless they 'somehow know' that Colon will be a Steeler again).

I will say tho....I'm encouraged by how fast they got the pick in. It showed confidence from the FO and that excites me a bit.

NJ-STEELER
04-28-2011, 11:44 PM
I'm indifferent at this point. I don't really know much about him, and I don't think DE was as pressing a need for a 1st round pick as some other positions (OT?...unless they 'somehow know' that Colon will be a Steeler again).

I will say tho....I'm encouraged by how fast they got the pick in. It showed confidence from the FO and that excites me a bit.

i'm with ya

focosteeler
04-28-2011, 11:49 PM
Now the question is what to do tomorrow....stay at 2.31 and take Ellis or Gilbert or trade up for Dowling??

hawaiiansteel
04-28-2011, 11:50 PM

agreed, the Steelers wasted no time getting their pick in...we must have really liked Heyward! :tt2

birtikidis
04-28-2011, 11:50 PM
Now the question is what to do tomorrow....stay at 2.31 and take Ellis or Gilbert or trade up for Dowling??
Would it be a reach for Burton?

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2011, 11:51 PM

Yes...he is a very disruptive force who is very athletic for his size. Could probably put on a few more pounds and play at 310 and not lose anything but gain more power.

Heyward-Hampton-Hood!! Wow!! That could be very impressive. I know the LB's are happy.

If only HHH were still around. :wink:

MaxAMillion
04-28-2011, 11:54 PM
I think Heyward will be another solid pick for us. My guess is the Steelers will draft a corner in round 2.

fordfixer
04-28-2011, 11:59 PM
His dad was Ironhead Heyward So will this make him Steelhead Heyward?

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2011, 11:59 PM
In today's NFL, teams are in nickel and dime packages half the time. We can ease the load on the old farts Smith-Hampton-Keisel by playing theim in a 3 man front half the time, and when we need to rush the passer in nickel and dime sets, put the young, hungry beasts Hood and Heyward inside at DT to provide a heck of a push from up the middle. Being able to collapse the pocket like that on a regular basis in multi-receiver sets (with Woodley and Worilds bringing the heat from the outside...I'd put Harrison next to Timmons on the inside in the nickel...Lloyd and Porter both used to move inside like that on occasion) actually will do more for our pass D than adding someone like Aaron Williams.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-29-2011, 12:00 AM
I guess Aaron Smith won't be back.

Shoe
04-29-2011, 12:00 AM
All you Buckeye guys touting Cam Heyward... you make me feel better. I didn't dislike the pick at all, but how would you respond to PFW's Draft write-up on him, where they make it seem like he's just a big bumbling oaf who's been overrated based on his name. Which is not to say they have him as a total bum... they say he has good character and work ethic... but they certainly don't share your guys enthusiasm!

Lebsteel
04-29-2011, 12:01 AM

Yes, they could be very impressive and if both Heyward and Hood are double teamed, who is going to block Harrison and Woodley? If they don't double team Heyward and Hood, they both have the ability to wreak havoc in the backfield. Now, I can dream that we sign a top notch FA CB (named Asomugha), draft another good CB like Chekwa, Burton, or House, pick up a NT and our defense will be awesome! :tt1 :tt1

papillon
04-29-2011, 12:02 AM
And just like the majority of Steeler 1st round picks he doesn't have to step in and be a game changer immediately. He gets a chance to learn behind two of the best 3-4 DEs in the game and get some game reps to learn and to give the veterans a breather until he's completely ready to play and their careers are completely done. It's the way the Steelers operate. They don't like to have to draft a player and expect him to be a starter and immediately.

Pappy

WoodleyofTroy
04-29-2011, 12:04 AM
To me, this is a Heath Miller, Maurkice Pouncey, Ben Roethlisberger value. That instant fan favorite Steeler type. Couldn't have happened any better at 31.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 12:07 AM

Ironhead is in the Pitt mural in the Great Hall at Heinz Field. Perhaps one day his son joins his father on those walls in a Steeler mural.

http://rpmedia.ask.com/ts?u=/wikipedia/commons/thumb/0/0c/GreatHallPittmuralsCrop.jpg/1000px-GreatHallPittmuralsCrop.jpg

focosteeler
04-29-2011, 12:12 AM
I guess Aaron Smith won't be back.
I think Smith comes back, Heyward will take Easons spot for now. Depending on if Ziggy is starting infront of smith they may ask him to take a pay cut

insanesteelersfan
04-29-2011, 12:12 AM
Fans, this was a very fine pick. Didn't reach, and was considered a higher prospect then 31 by most everyone. But truth be told, this was NOT a pick for this season. This was a pick for the 2012 season. Don't expect much from him. Remember, it took Ziggy over a year to learn what our DE's do in our complicated system. So I will give Heyward equal time. All we need is a good, strong Guard to push for the starting RG spot, and we will be alot better this year. I mean with a healthy Max back.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 12:14 AM

I'd trade up for Dowling. Think he's a first round pick when healthy, and he was impressive at his private workout...finally healthy for the first time in a year or so...could be a tremendous value pick when all is said and done.

But they could theoretically turn an old DL into a young DL overnight by taking Kenrick Ellis as Hampton's eventual successor at NT at 2.63 to go with DE Cam Heyward at 1.31, then go with the best available CB at 3.95 (someone like Curtis Marsh of Utah State...he reminds me a lot of Ivan Taylor coming out of Louisiana-Lafayette), then add to our OL in round 4 (someone like Jah Reid), then double dip at CB with our typical corner pick in the late 5th (someone like the Citadel's Cortez Allen). That would be a heck of a haul.

feltdizz
04-29-2011, 12:15 AM
I like Heyward and we needed to get younger on the DL. My only knock on him is his consistency.

WoodleyofTroy
04-29-2011, 12:24 AM
Fans, this was a very fine pick. Didn't reach, and was considered a higher prospect then 31 by most everyone. But truth be told, this was NOT a pick for this season. This was a pick for the 2012 season. Don't expect much from him. Remember, it took Ziggy over a year to learn what our DE's do in our complicated system. So I will give Heyward equal time. All we need is a good, strong Guard to push for the starting RG spot, and we will be alot better this year. I mean with a healthy Max back.

To me Heyward is the Woodley, and Hood is the Timmons.

Heyward will pick this up quick.

skyhawk
04-29-2011, 12:39 AM
Luckily at 31 the BPA was someone the Steelers needed for an aging defensive line.

I like the pick. Watching his highlights impresses me. He runs well. Could almost play OLB.

Plus I like that he started as a true freshman. Experience counts.

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 12:44 AM
Luckily at 31 the BPA was someone the Steelers needed for an aging defensive line.

I like the pick. Watching his highlights impresses me. He runs well. Could almost play OLB.

Plus I like that he started as a true freshman. Experience counts.

I saw Heyward in the Sugar Bowl against Arkansas and even playing with an injured arm he absolutely dominated the game...this was a great selection by the Steelers picking at 1(31)! :tt2

D Rock
04-29-2011, 12:47 AM
I do like that he grew up a Steelers fan living in Monroeville and has a lot of family in the Burgh.

Maybe not wanting to let them down takes away the inconsistencies and makes him an animal week in and week out??!?!?

WoodleyofTroy
04-29-2011, 12:54 AM
I do like that he grew up a Steelers fan living in Monroeville and has a lot of family in the Burgh.

Maybe not wanting to let them down takes away the inconsistencies and makes him an animal week in and week out??!?!?

Woodley was bashed by scouting reports for being inconsistent.

WoodleyofTroy
04-29-2011, 12:57 AM
And we don't need Heyward to get to the Quarterback, which is basically the sum of his listed negatives in reports.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-29-2011, 01:12 AM
I said that over on SN.... i'm gonna have to check the timestamp... i claimed "first" on it - 10:28 pm... I win - lol

skyhawk
04-29-2011, 01:15 AM

What's inconsistent mean? Not making a tackle on EVERY play? Against the top players in the US? Please.

Are these people calling him inconsistent also the ones obsessed with fantasy football stats?

Chadman
04-29-2011, 01:21 AM
Too often terms like 'inconsistant' are used in reference to statistics. Heyward won't be asked to accumulate many statistics, so long as he ties up blockers & colapses pockets, he'll be very good value.

D Rock
04-29-2011, 01:27 AM
I used it in reference to the thread I starter with videos. The one against Wisconsin, he got pushed around be Gabe Carimi every play. Against Illinois, he was ok, but nothing special. Against Oregon in the Rose Bowl he was a pretty good player. The Sugar Bowl against Arkansas he was awesome.

These videos weren't highlights. They were compilations of his playing during those games. And he was inconsistent game to game with the fire and ability to holdup against various levels of competition from the offensive line.

fordfixer
04-29-2011, 01:29 AM
I said that over on SN.... i'm gonna have to check the timestamp... i claimed "first" on it - 10:28 pm... I win - lol
I posted at 9:59 Sorry............. :loser :lol: :lol:

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 04:27 AM
from Walter Football:

Pittsburgh Steelers (Last Year: 12-4)

2011 NFL Draft Individual Grades:

31. Cameron Heyward, DE/DT, Ohio State

This is a typical Steelers pick. They're bolstering their defense with one of the top players available. He doesn't fill an immediate need, but will definitely be starting for the team in a year or two. (Pick Grade: B)

http://www.walterfootball.com/offseason2011pit.php

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-29-2011, 07:46 AM
They stayed true to their board. That is something that has given the success under Colbert not to miss on 1st. now when you get into 2nd & 3rd you sometimes are forced to need rather than your board and you have the hits & misses.

ramblinjim
04-29-2011, 08:01 AM
I agree, Heyward and Hood solidify our DE's for years to come. We'll see how the rest of the draft goes. Do we trade up for Dowling or hope that House is there at the end of the round?

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 09:11 AM
I agree, Heyward and Hood solidify our DE's for years to come. We'll see how the rest of the draft goes. Do we trade up for Dowling or hope that House is there at the end of the round?

I think House could be solid, and would be happy if we got him at 63, but I think Dowling could be special, so my preference would be to trade up for him.

feltdizz
04-29-2011, 09:25 AM

What's inconsistent mean? Not making a tackle on EVERY play? Against the top players in the US? Please.

Are these people calling him inconsistent also the ones obsessed with fantasy football stats?

I watched some Buckeye games and didn't even know he was playing.. didn't hear his name at all. Other games he was a monster. Now maybe teams avoided him but the Badger game he was a non factor.

I have no problem with the pick but I'm a true Steeler fan... I have to knock some aspect of his game. :wink:

steelcurtain44
04-29-2011, 09:29 AM
I used it in reference to the thread I starter with videos. The one against Wisconsin, he got pushed around be Gabe Carimi every play. Against Illinois, he was ok, but nothing special. Against Oregon in the Rose Bowl he was a pretty good player. The Sugar Bowl against Arkansas he was awesome.

These videos weren't highlights. They were compilations of his playing during those games. And he was inconsistent game to game with the fire and ability to holdup against various levels of competition from the offensive line.

There in, lies the problem with saying someone is inconsistent. You look at a 12 game season, then pick out 2 or 3 games where a player didn't have great games and say he is inconsistent. Isn't that true for almost every player at every position? There is no player that has a great game every time they take the field. I've watch Heyward all 4 yeas, and the young man is a beast. He is very disruptive, and plays a very physical game. The Steelers got one of the steals of the draft.