PDA

View Full Version : Join me, creating a real-time "what I would have done" draft

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2011, 07:32 PM
This will be the third time I have tried this (one of these years, someone is going to join me...c'mon, you know you want to). Rather than waiting until after the entire draft is complete to see where all of the chips have fallen to determine "what you would have done" after the fact with the benefit of hindsight, I try to do this every year, announcing my preference for our pick when the Steelers are actually on the clock. I'll have to determine at some point after the Jets pick but before the Packers pick, who I feel is the best value for our team at that point (although I am at the mercy of whatever trades Colbert works out, the order of things remains fluid). At the end, I can compare my 7 guys with Colbert's 7 guys (or however many picks we end up with after any trades).

In the past, here are real-time drafts that I have come up with, compared to the Steelers actual drafts for those years:

2009 RuthlessBurgher

1.32 Eben Britton OT
3.79 D.J. Moore CB
3.84 Duke Robinson OG
3.96 Sammie Lee Hill NT
5.168 Rashard Jennings RB
5.169 A.Q. Shipley C
6.205 Quan Cosby WR
7.226 Zach Potter DE
7.241 Everette Pendescleaux DE

2009 Colbert

1.32 Ziggy Hood DT
3.79 Kraig Urbik T
3.84 Mike Wallace WR
3.96 Keenan Lewis DB
5.168 Joe Burnett DB
5.169 Frank Summers RB
6.205 Ra'Shon Harris DT
7.226 A.Q. Shipley C
7.241 David Johnson TE

2010 RuthlessBurgher

OT Bryan Bulaga, Iowa
NT Terrence Cody, Alabama
CB Brandon Ghee, Wake Forest
RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
DE Austen Lane, DE, Murray State
WR Carlton Mitchell, South Florida
S Myron Rolle, Florida State
TE Dorin Dickerson, Pittsburgh
ILB Jamar Chaney, Mississippi State
OT/OG Ciron Black, LSU

2010 Colbert

C Maurkice Pouncey, Florida
OLB Jason Worilds, Virginia Tech
WR Emmanuel Sanders, Southern Methodist
OLB Thaddeus Gibson, Ohio State
G Chris Scott, Tennessee
CB Crezdon Butler, Clemson
OLB Stevenson Sylvester, Utah
RB Jonathan Dwyer, Georgia Tech
WR Antonio Brown, Central Michigan
DE Doug Worthington, Ohio State

The lesson, as always, is that I suck at this as compared to the professionals. But it's fun to do anyway, so I will keep doing it. Neener neener ha ha.

Anyone else wanna play? T minus a half hour (actually, it will probably be closer to midnight by the time I get to post something on this thread, but still...)

D Rock
04-28-2011, 07:36 PM
As much as I can I'm in. Hopefully I wont be too engulfed with preparing for finals next week, cuz that will mean I'm having a crappy weekend.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2011, 07:46 PM
As much as I can I'm in. Hopefully I wont be too engulfed with preparing for finals next week, cuz that will mean I'm having a crappy weekend.

Every year, one of the online courses I teach ends at this time (they go every 8 weeks...twice in the spring, twice in the summer, twice in the fall). At the end of each course, my students have to submit a 10-15 page final paper (due on a Wednesday night, and my final grades must be submitted one week later). Inevitably, it always seems like this particular session always has final papers due the Wednesday prior to the draft, which really sucks, because I should be spending time reading and grading all of those papers, but I get distracted by the draft of course, and it really screws things up. For the first time this year, final papers were due last Wednesday, so I graded all last weekend (and a few nights earlier this week), and submitted my final grades yesterday. This is the first draft in a while where I can just sit back and enjoy the proceedings without having all of those papers looming over my head. It's refreshing.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-28-2011, 08:02 PM
i always enjoy this thread.

keep it up ruthless.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2011, 08:18 PM
i always enjoy this thread.

keep it up ruthless.

Glad you like my own little draft diary each year. Join in, my pasta-loving friend! All comers welcome. Bring it on!!!

Discipline of Steel
04-28-2011, 09:39 PM
So much for any ideas about trading up for Pouncey.

Discipline of Steel
04-28-2011, 09:58 PM
Goodell looks unnaturally red on TV.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 10:40 PM
Well, looking at who's left and what teams are still ahead of the Steelers...I see three things. We will se how high the Steelers actually are on Jordan & Ayers and if the rumors were true that Jimmy Smith wasn't even on their board. Stay tuned folks...Things are about to get interesting.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 10:42 PM
Jordan gone.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 10:48 PM
6 picks before us and Bowers, Carimi, Smith, Wilkerson, Heyward, Ayers, Williams, Houston, & Ingram left. Hmmmmm.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 10:52 PM
Wow! Carpenter before Carimi. Somebody should have told them he was still on the board. lol

D Rock
04-28-2011, 11:24 PM
My pick: Dowling. Prefer a trade though. But Dowling.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2011, 11:27 PM
Got Ironhead Jr.

I would have taken Derek Sherrod instead. Reminds me of Marvel Smith.

Chadman
04-29-2011, 12:52 AM
Well, those that were in the chat room know that Chadman would have had Da'Quan Bowers at #31.

So, at this stage..

1. Da'Quan Bowers DE

flippy
04-29-2011, 01:00 AM
I'd have gone with Dowling. My board said Sherrod, with Dowling and Paea right there. I'd have gone with Dowling just based on need and the feeling Sherrod could be hit or miss. Heyward was probably my 4th choice and I think he's hit or miss too. But what do I know?

SteelerOfDeVille
04-29-2011, 01:19 AM
Well, those that were in the chat room know that Chadman would have had Da'Quan Bowers at #31.

So, at this stage..

1. Da'Quan Bowers DE
ditto, chadman... as a potential #1, that knee must be pretty f'd up...

Especially on a team like the Steelers where you have 3 solid DE's and can afford to wait a year... seems like it woulda been hard to pass on a player of that quality...

Chadman
04-29-2011, 01:24 AM

So, at this stage..

1. Da'Quan Bowers DE
ditto, chadman... as a potential #1, that knee must be pretty f'd up...

Especially on a team like the Steelers where you have 3 solid DE's and can afford to wait a year... seems like it woulda been hard to pass on a player of that quality...

Pretty much Chadman's thinking. Too often injuries are used as excuses for avoiding players. At #31, so long as his knee is functional, he's worth a risk.

That said, Heyward was a great pick & Chadman simply can't complain.

D Rock
04-29-2011, 01:31 AM
Are picking each round based on what the Steelers have already done, or based on what we would have done and who is left.

Example:

I said Dowling round 1, they took Heyward. Come round 2 if it is between Davon House and 'insert DE here', do I base my pick off of having selected Dowling or Heyward?

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 01:53 AM
That said, Heyward was a great pick & Chadman simply can't complain.

Kevin Colbert has earned the benefit of the doubt on his Round 1 selections and if he thinks Heyward was the BPA then I'm on the bandwagon. Did you see how fast we took the card to the Commissioner?

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 01:57 AM
Are picking each round based on what the Steelers have already done, or based on what we would have done and who is left.

Example:

I said Dowling round 1, they took Heyward. Come round 2 if it is between Davon House and 'insert DE here', do I base my pick off of having selected Dowling or Heyward?

Stay true to your board. Who would you pick if you already had Dowling in the fold. Create your best 7 man draft possible.

That being said, I occassionally will suggest what I would do based on Colbert's picks so far. For example, if both Rodney Hudson and Kenrick Ellis were available where we pick at 63, I might say something like:

After addressing the OL in round 1 with OT Derek Sherrod, I have the opportunity to add another big ugly on the other side of the trenches by choosing Casey Hampton's heir apparent in NT Kenrick Ellis.

If I was Colbert, though, having already bolstered our aging DL in round 1 with Cam Heyward, I would suggest improving our OL with a potential starter at RG from day one in Rodney Hudson.

Chadman
04-29-2011, 02:00 AM
Rodney Hudson would be very far from the worst selection of all time.

Value might be at CB though, with only 3 CB's off the board in a deep CB class.

SteelerOfDeVille
04-29-2011, 02:00 AM

Example:

I think either is acceptable... I've had post-draft mocks where I've filled all needs, but, in a different order...

For example in 2009...

1. Steelers took Ziggy... I would have taken Rey Maaluga
2. Steelers traded all over and ended up with 3 thirds and no 4th. They got Ubrik, Wallace, and Keenan Lewis. I usually play the "stay put" game and would have taken players accordingly (likely a WR, a o-line and a D-lineman)

D Rock
04-29-2011, 08:27 PM
I think I've got to say House on this one. Need a CB badly.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 08:44 PM
Ugh...Brandon Harris almost fell to us...Curtis Brown is a consideration, but there are several other CB's that I like in rounds 3-5, so I'll hold off on that for now, even though it is a big need, in favor of a better value pick at this point.

I took OT Derek Sherrod at #31.
Gonna follow that up with NT Kenrick Ellis at #63 in my draft. Casey's heir apparent.
A big ugly on each side of the trenches.

Colbert took DE Cameron Heyward at #31.
Although I like Ellis, I don't know about taking back-to-back d-lineman in Heyward and Ellis (although that would be impressive).
He went with OT Marcus Gilbert at #63, but I don't see huge OL value at this point.
I think I would have gone with a curveball and taken a chance with Martez Wilson there instead. Farrior and Foote are both getting old, and although I like what Stevenson Sylvester brings to the table, you can never have too many run-and-hit linebackers.

RuthlessBurgher
04-29-2011, 10:15 PM
Going corner here. Curtis Brown...Davon House...Davon House...Curtis Brown...

Tough choice...gimme House because he is slightly bigger and faster as well.

1.31 Derek Sherrod OT
2.63 Kenrick Ellis NT
3.95 Davon House CB

Not a bad first two days...

Chadman
04-30-2011, 01:16 AM
Well, to go with Da'Quan Bowers Chadman would have had:

Martez Wilson in Round 2
&
Quinton Carter in Round 3.

Looks like Colbert might win again..

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2011, 01:55 PM
I've already taken:

1.31 Derek Sherrod, OT
2.63 Kenrick Ellis, NT
3.95 Davon House, CB

I addressed me three top needs (DB, OL, DL) in the first three rounds, which was a strategy that I had coming in here. I planned to use my 4th rounds as a wildcard pick that was not necessarily a need at one of those positions, but could be considered just a best player available overall (as opposed to best player available at a position of need). Many of the guys I was intrigued with came off earlier in the 4th round (Greg Salas, Luke Stocker, Owen Marecic, Alex Henery, Quinton Carter, Casey Matthews, Clint Boling, Colin McCarthy, etc.). Marcus Cannon is obviously still available as a possible RG of the future for us, but we remember what kind of an impact DIABETES had on one of our top rated guards a few years ago. CANCER is a bit more serious than DIABETES, hence the fall. I may be willing to take a chance later, but not yet in round 4. I'm actually going to go chalk here, and take the guy that Colbert took in round 4...Cortez Allen from Citadel. Of course, I like Davon House better, so if I were Colbert, I would have taken House in round 4 instead of Allen, but since I have obviously already drafted House in my draft, I can't exactly draft him again, now can I?

4.128 Cortez Allen, CB, Citadel (good pick Colbert...and RuthlessBurgher!!!)

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2011, 03:41 PM
Colbert went with a good value LB in Chris Carter from Fresno St. in round 5. Like the pick. Makes sense, too, since we have more ILB depth (Timmons, Farrior, Foote, Sylvester, Fox) than OLB depth (Harrison, Woodley, Worilds), so the Carter pick essentially replaces Thad Gibson, who we took in the 4th round last year and lost on a waiver claim by the Niners when we needed to add Steve McLendon from our practice squad when multiple injuries hit our d-line last season.

Although I do really like that pick and think it is good value here, I think I see even better value at ILB in Quan Sturdivant. Farrior is old and won't be around much longer, Foote isn't what he once was, and Fox is a potential free agent who had multiple uncharacteristic personal foul penalties at inopertune times last season, so he may not be back. I like Timmons and Sly for the future, but it never hurts to add depth at linebacker if you are the Pittsburgh Steelers.

1.31 Derek Sherrod, OT
2.63 Kenrick Ellis, NT
3.95 Davon House, CB
4.128 Cortez Allen, CB
5.162 Quan Sturdivant, ILB

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2011, 04:48 PM
In Colbert's draft, he got a 5-technique DE right off the bat, but in my draft here, I didn't take a 5-technique (I address the DL in round 2, but it was a NT instead). Lawrence is my Guy here.

1.31 Derek Sherrod, OT
2.63 Kenrick Ellis, NT
3.95 Davon House, CB
4.128 Cortez Allen, CB
6.196 Lawrence Guy, DE

If I was drafting for Colbert now, though, I would likely take a wildcard in speed TE Virgil Green from Nevada instead of a guard from Nebraska (I think we already have enough guards on our roster now that have 6th round talent).

flippy
04-30-2011, 09:18 PM
I would have the following if I remember correctly.

1. Ras Dowling or Sherrod - I couldn't decide who I wanted more.
2. Wasn't watching the live draft
3. Wasn't watching the live draft
4. House or Allen - It was a toss up for me - I had Allen here in both of my mocks
5. Quan Sturdivant
6. Duenta Williams
7. Ricardo Lockette

RuthlessBurgher
04-30-2011, 10:00 PM
I was out at dinner and missed pretty much all of the 7th round. With my last 5 picks being on defense (and only my first pick on offense), I probably should throw Bruce Arians a bone here (although there are still some intriguing defensive prospects left, such as safeties DeAndre McDaniel and Deunta Williams, and of course, Greg Lloyd's kid). Let's look at some offensive skill players, though. Derrick Locke would be an intriguing 3rd down back. Henry Hynoski would be a solid fullback (if only we used one). I like Ricardo Lockette as a small school wideout with potential (who went to Greg Lloyd's alma mater...a lot of Greg Lloyd connections here). There isn't a pass-catching TE that intrigues me (Weslye Saunders would, if not for the off-field issues), but Schuylar Oordt is a strong blocking TE (with an awesome name, I might add). Also, having missed out on board favorite kicker Alex Henery earlier, UCLA's Kai Forbath is still available, so I could go that route. I like he accuracy on FG's, but he doesn't have a strong leg on kickoffs and doesn't have experience kicking in crappy conditions like he would see at Heinz. Hmmm...gimme the wideout.

1.31 Derek Sherrod, OT
2.63 Kenrick Ellis, NT
3.95 Davon House, CB
4.128 Cortez Allen, CB
6.196 Lawrence Guy, DE
7.232 Ricardo Lockette, WR