PDA

View Full Version : Report: Steelers want to trade up, pair Mike with Maurkice

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2011, 11:45 PM
Report: Steelers want to trade up, pair Mike with Maurkice

Posted by Evan Silva on April 26, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/mike-pouncey-pic.jpg?w=170

AP

Citing a league source, Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the Steelers are willing to “exhaust all realistic possible scenarios” in which they could trade up to draft Florida guard/center Mike Pouncey.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has reportedly given his personnel department an “edict” to move up for Maurkice’s brother in the event Mike “starts to slip” in the draft.

According to La Canfora, Tomlin is “enthralled” with the idea of pairing Mike with Maurkice on the interior of his offensive line. The latter Pouncey twin plays center, and the former would likely move into the starting lineup at right guard.

The Miami Dolphins are believed to be interested in Mike Pouncey at No. 15 overall. If the Fins pass, La Canfora says “the scenario could unfold for the Steelers to move up.”

Say Miami does pass on Pouncey. He could conceivably land with the Jaguars at 16, Patriots at 17, or Giants at 19. All of those teams could use interior offensive line help.

The Steelers currently hold the No. 31 overall pick. Per the NFL Trade Value Chart, Pittsburgh’s first-rounder is worth 600 points. Jacksonville’s is worth 1,000.

La Canfora suggests Pittsburgh might wait for Pouncey to slip to 20, where the Bucs’ first-rounder is worth 850 points. Tomlin has a relationship with Tampa coach Raheem Morris.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -maurkice/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/26/report-steelers-want-to-trade-up-pair-mike-with-maurkice/)

SteelBucks
04-27-2011, 12:01 AM
I'm more interested in what Colbert thinks.

insanesteelersfan
04-27-2011, 12:02 AM
Report: Steelers want to trade up, pair Mike with Maurkice

Posted by Evan Silva on April 26, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/mike-pouncey-pic.jpg?w=170

AP

Citing a league source, Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the Steelers are willing to “exhaust all realistic possible scenarios” in which they could trade up to draft Florida guard/center Mike Pouncey.

Steelers coach Mike Tomlin has reportedly given his personnel department an “edict” to move up for Maurkice’s brother in the event Mike “starts to slip” in the draft.

According to La Canfora, Tomlin is “enthralled” with the idea of pairing Mike with Maurkice on the interior of his offensive line. The latter Pouncey twin plays center, and the former would likely move into the starting lineup at right guard.

The Miami Dolphins are believed to be interested in Mike Pouncey at No. 15 overall. If the Fins pass, La Canfora says “the scenario could unfold for the Steelers to move up.”

Say Miami does pass on Pouncey. He could conceivably land with the Jaguars at 16, Patriots at 17, or Giants at 19. All of those teams could use interior offensive line help.

The Steelers currently hold the No. 31 overall pick. Per the NFL Trade Value Chart, Pittsburgh’s first-rounder is worth 600 points. Jacksonville’s is worth 1,000.

La Canfora suggests Pittsburgh might wait for Pouncey to slip to 20, where the Bucs’ first-rounder is worth 850 points. Tomlin has a relationship with Tampa coach Raheem Morris.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -maurkice/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/26/report-steelers-want-to-trade-up-pair-mike-with-maurkice/)

Well if true, and it's probably not. But if it is then Mike and Colbert are both idiots! Mike Pouncey will be a Guard, and nothing else. He can't play Tackle, and as a Center he was very average, and is a horrible single caller. I can easily name 4 or 5 players who will be every bit as good of a Guard as Mike Pouncey ever will be. And all of those players can be had in the 3rd round or lower. If we had to trade our 1st, 2nd and 3rd to get Pouncey, when we could trade less to move up and get Carimi then that would be stupid.

PSU_dropout43
04-27-2011, 12:02 AM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_TYvlC8IxUPM/TLnnqFtfJVI/AAAAAAAAGIk/a3fdxAzPlpo/s1600/bsmeter.jpg

papillon
04-27-2011, 12:23 AM
I could see the Steelers moving up a handful of places in the draft to take Pouncey, but not 10 or 11. To make a move like that you need to be getting a guy that can change a game in one play, Troy Polamalu or Santonio Holmes. The NFL doesn't value an interior lineman that much to give up what needs to be given up to make that move.

The Steelers have always been patient. Why would they stop this year after a Super Bowl appearance? I'm sure they'd like Pouncey and so would I, but not at the price that would come with moving that far in the draft. Other areas of the football team would be neglected due to lack of draft picks after moving up. I just don't see this happening.

Pappy

WoodleyofTroy
04-27-2011, 12:38 AM
Well if true, and it's probably not. But if it is then Mike and Colbert are both idiots! Mike Pouncey will be a Guard, and nothing else. He can't play Tackle, and as a Center he was very average, and is a horrible single caller. I can easily name 4 or 5 players who will be every bit as good of a Guard as Mike Pouncey ever will be. And all of those players can be had in the 3rd round or lower. If we had to trade our 1st, 2nd and 3rd to get Pouncey, when we could trade less to move up and get Carimi then that would be stupid.

I think you are missing the point. This isn't your average first round Guard talk. Sure any other team, or us for that matter if we didn't have Maurkice, it would make no sense to trade up for a Guard or take one early. But putting these two together is hands down the best thing you could do for the rest of Ben Roethlisberger's career. I don't care if you gave him three Randy Moss'. This would be better. You watch Hockey? Think Henrik and Daniel Sedin (this guy is probably not an All Star by himself, but together they both are).

Ben gets two more rings with this move alone.

insanesteelersfan
04-27-2011, 12:43 AM

I think you are missing the point. This isn't your average first round Guard talk. Sure any other team, or us for that matter if we didn't have Maurkice, it would make no sense to trade up for a Guard or take one early. But putting these two together is hands down the best thing you could do for the rest of Ben Roethlisberger's career. I don't care if you gave him three Randy Moss'. This would be better. You watch Hockey? Think Henrik and Daniel Sedin (this guy is probably not an All Star by himself, but together they both are).

So what you are saying is if you put an AVERAGE Guard with a All-Pro Center, he will make the guard look and play better ?..Ah DUH!! So would players like Hurd, Moffitt, and abunch of others, others we DON'T have to sacrafice our entire draft for.

Gte it now. ?

WoodleyofTroy
04-27-2011, 12:52 AM

So what you are saying is if you put an AVERAGE Guard with a All-Pro Center, he will make the guard look and play better ?..Ah DUH!! So would players like Hurd, Moffitt, and abunch of others, others we DON'T have to sacrafice our entire draft for.

Gte it now. ?
http://t0.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQf83NUaTOz__nVqW28DQE3JuHUix6nW 2jBQ1Wc0N2NAaOPz885&t=1

birtikidis
04-27-2011, 12:53 AM
Please dear baby Jesus let us land Mike. Don't listen to the insane person who knows little about how football actually works.

focosteeler
04-27-2011, 01:20 AM
The Steelers want to trade up and get mike....so do I. I'm just hoping he gets passed miami so we can get to him

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2011, 01:29 AM
Please dear baby Jesus let us land Mike. Don't listen to the insane person who knows little about how football actually works.

"Dear Lord baby Jesus, lyin' there in your ghost manger, just lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors. I would like to thank you for bringin' Mike and Maurkice Pouncey together, and also that my fellow posters at Planet Steelers no longer sound like retarded gang-bangers."

:lol:

http://wordonfire.org/getmedia/ef174717-99ab-4801-bad5-c3b2c57c80cb/TalladegaNights005.aspx

birtikidis
04-27-2011, 01:31 AM

"Dear Lord baby Jesus, lyin' there in your ghost manger, just lookin' at your Baby Einstein developmental videos, learnin' 'bout shapes and colors. I would like to thank you for bringin' Mike and Maurkice Pouncey together, and also that my fellow posters at Planet Steelers no longer sound like retarded gang-bangers."

:lol:

http://wordonfire.org/getmedia/ef174717-99ab-4801-bad5-c3b2c57c80cb/TalladegaNights005.aspx
amen

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2011, 01:42 AM
The Steelers want to trade up and get mike....so do I. I'm just hoping he gets passed miami so we can get to him

According to the trade value chart, Miami's 1.15 is worth 1050 points, our 1.31 is worth 600 points, our 2.63 is worth 276, our 3.95 is worth 120 points, and our 4.128 is worth 44 points (I suppose this is where insanesteeler fan got the idea that some people on here were advocating give up our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks for Pouncey, since they all add up to 1040 points total...when actually no one on here ever advocated such a thing...I wouldn't even go that far for Patrick #&@%ing Peterson...and I love me some Pat Peterson...in the most heterosexual way possible, of course).

Anyway, rumor has it that the Dolphins are enamoured with Ryan Mallett's arm. But taking Mallett at #15 would be overdrafting when you could trade down to acquire more assets and possibly still get him, since he seems to be slipping out of first round consideration in most circles...other teams seem to prefer guys like Andy Dalton and Christian Ponder now, but apparently not the Fins. Miami is also obsessed with getting back a second round pick, since they gave up last year's and this year's 2nd rounders in the Brandon Marshall trade. Consider that the Draft Trade Value chart is not gospel (rumor has it that some teams don't even consult it at all...they feel it is outdated). Would Miami be willing to consider what most might think would be a below-market value trade for just our 1st and 2nd, so that they can get Mallett at a lower price and re-coup a second round pick as well? They would be giving up a pick that is supposedly worth 1050 for 2 picks that are supposedly worth 876 combined, but at least they would be getting what they want without overdrafting (this team may have learned its lesson about the dangers of overdrafting with the Ted Ginn Jr. and Pat White debacle picks).

insanesteelersfan
04-27-2011, 02:08 AM

According to the trade value chart, Miami's 1.15 is worth 1050 points, our 1.31 is worth 600 points, our 2.63 is worth 276, our 3.95 is worth 120 points, and our 4.128 is worth 44 points (I suppose this is where insanesteeler fan got the idea that some people on here were advocating give up our 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th round picks for Pouncey, since they all add up to 1040 points total...when actually no one on here ever advocated such a thing...I wouldn't even go that far for Patrick #&@%ing Peterson...and I love me some Pat Peterson...in the most heterosexual way possible, of course).

Anyway, rumor has it that the Dolphins are enamoured with Ryan Mallett's arm. But taking Mallett at #15 would be overdrafting when you could trade down to acquire more assets and possibly still get him, since he seems to be slipping out of first round consideration in most circles...other teams seem to prefer guys like Andy Dalton and Christian Ponder now, but apparently not the Fins. Miami is also obsessed with getting back a second round pick, since they gave up last year's and this year's 2nd rounders in the Brandon Marshall trade. Consider that the Draft Trade Value chart is not gospel (rumor has it that some teams don't even consult it at all...they feel it is outdated). Would Miami be willing to consider what most might think would be a below-market value trade for just our 1st and 2nd, so that they can get Mallett at a lower price and re-coup a second round pick as well? They would be giving up a pick that is supposedly worth 1050 for 2 picks that are supposedly worth 876 combined, but at least they would be getting what they want without overdrafting (this team may have learned its lesson about the dangers of overdrafting with the Ted Ginn Jr. and Pat White debacle picks).

Actually I was stating that trading up for a Guard, ANY Guard in this draft is silly. Yes Mike is a good player. But, all experts agree Mike is NOT his brother. Last year several scouts who watched Maurkice in workouts said the kid just " Gets it " He has a natural ability that cannot be taught. Kinda like how Darren Perry. He was a late round pick. But I remember Coach Papa Joe said afterwards that the steelers just drafted the best safety in this draft, and the smartest kid I have ever coached. And Perry was not only a starter from day 1,,,,he was our defensive Captain. That's because Darren just " Got it " Now I am not calling Mike a Moron. But he is not anywhere near the talent of his brother. And his draft status this year is mostly due to his brothers success. Okay, maybe IF he fell to 25 to Seattle, I wouldn't care if we sent our 31 and 3rd rounder for him. But anything more for a Guard is just, well...INSANE!!

BradshawsHairdresser
04-27-2011, 02:09 AM
I could see the Steelers moving up a handful of places in the draft to take Pouncey, but not 10 or 11. To make a move like that you need to be getting a guy that can change a game in one play, Troy Polamalu or Santonio Holmes. The NFL doesn't value an interior lineman that much to give up what needs to be given up to make that move.

The Steelers have always been patient. Why would they stop this year after a Super Bowl appearance? I'm sure they'd like Pouncey and so would I, but not at the price that would come with moving that far in the draft. Other areas of the football team would be neglected due to lack of draft picks after moving up. I just don't see this happening.

Pappy
$$$$$$$$$$$

Chadman
04-27-2011, 02:47 AM
In other startling NFL news, Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin has revealed the gameplans for every team they play this season, stating that "the Steelers are so freaking awesome anyway, so why bother disguising anything we do or think?"

This revelation follows on from Mike Tomlin telling THE PRESS exactly how they plan to move up in the draft to get Maurkice's brother Mike (Henceforth known as MBM) because, quoting Mike Tomlin, "The Steelers are so freaking awesome we don't need to disguise anything we think or do in a damn draft".

Amazingly every other team in the NFL has sent an emailed wish list of their draft choices to all the GM's of other NFL teams, hoping that the spirit of goodwill will prompt all teams to simply allow everyone to draft whoever they like.

insanesteelersfan
04-27-2011, 03:01 AM
In other startling NFL news, Pittsburgh coach Mike Tomlin has revealed the gameplans for every team they play this season, stating that "the Steelers are so freaking awesome anyway, so why bother disguising anything we do or think?"

This revelation follows on from Mike Tomlin telling THE PRESS exactly how they plan to move up in the draft to get Maurkice's brother Mike (Henceforth known as MBM) because, quoting Mike Tomlin, "The Steelers are so freaking awesome we don't need to disguise anything we think or do in a damn draft".

Amazingly every other team in the NFL has sent an emailed wish list of their draft choices to all the GM's of other NFL teams, hoping that the spirit of goodwill will prompt all teams to simply allow everyone to draft whoever they like.

Are you being Sarcastic ? :roll:

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2011, 03:03 AM
Well, last time Tomlin opened his yapper pre-draft, it was praise for Darrelle Revis. We may have been legimately interested in him at #15 that year, or perhaps Tomlin and Colbert were so enamoured with Lawrence Timmons that they would have chosen Timmons even if both he and Revis were available when we picked. We'll never know for sure.

Perhaps they were worried that the LB needy Panthers might snatch their preferred Timmons away from us at #14, so we leaked the Revis intel, which caused a chain of events which saw the Jets trade up for Revis, us getting our man in Timmons, and the Panthers getting another LB later in round 1 in Jon Beason. Could have all been gamesmanship, or it could have indeed been some shards of truth there. Just like this could be gamesmanship, or there could be some shards of truth here.

I legitimately think we'll make an effort to trade up if MBM gets within a reasonable range (the tricky part is defining what exactly a reasonable range for a possible trade might be). If not, though, I think that we will possibly trade back with one of the teams in the top half of round 2 to get the 2nd tier QB of their choice in the latter portion of round 1.

papillon
04-27-2011, 06:51 AM
The Steelers moved 12 places (I think) to get Polamalu and 7 places (I think) to get Holmes in their respective drafts. Is Mike Pouncey really worth the same draft capital as these two guys? We all know the game begins and ends in the trenches, the problem is that fans, by and large, don't come to a game to watch a guard kick the snot out of a DT. And, Ben has proven that he can make silk out of a sow's ear if he has to and he doesn't need a pristine pocket to be successful.

The Steelers would be over drafting by moving 11 places to draft Mike simply to put him alongside his brother. During the season Mike was considered a very late 1st round pick and then by all accounts had a so-so senior season and yet his stock has risen? That's the Maurkice effect, not the Mike effect.

If he's there and within 3 or 4 places then by all means try to get him, otherwise, be patient, take BPA and get some players that could have an impact on the team over the next few years.

Pappy

Oviedo
04-27-2011, 07:31 AM

I think you are potentially missing the point. Pouncey II will be no better than a good NFL Guard. Nothing more. he can't "grow" into any other position. If Maurkice did not leave Florida a year early and have the season he did everyone would be talking about Mike as a Mid Round 2 to Round 3 draft pick. He is not as good a player as his brother. Nothing magical is going to happen through ESP if he is teamed with his brother.

No way should then even remotely consider going up more than two or three spots to get him. Even then there will be players who will turn out to be just as good sitting in Round 2.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-27-2011, 08:10 AM
Well guys, Tomlin & Colbert no the value of the interior OL. No matter if it is run blocking or pass blocking argument. If you can't control the A gap, you have to compensate on route running or double teams. If you can't hold the front of the pocket on a pass play or be able to have your G/C come off a combination block & get to a LB, it limits what you can do. I know it isn't the sexy pick you all want or the multiple players we want to see on the roster, but it makes the most sense since there more than likely won't be a sure thing CB at #31 or one in range that is on their board.

I'm not worried about the picks because this draft has a cliff in the mid 20s. There is alot of good football players in the 2-4 rounds that are bunched together. Add in the fact the Steelers are picking at the end of the 1st round puts them over that cliff. The Steelers are getting "left overs" at #31 and #63 is right in the middle of the bunch where a good scouting department can find value. Up or out is the way to go this draft. I would much rather come out of this draft with a lock starter at a position of need in the 1st 2 rounds than 2 guys who have to wait their turn, find a position, or stay on the 53 their rookie contract and go use their degree in a different career. I hear many of you saying Colbert has not been real good in round 2 of the draft. Well, #31 & #63 in this years draft class is 2 2nd rounders. Take it for what it is worth & I will trust in the Steelers FO. They haven't let us down yet when they go get the player they want.

Chadman
04-27-2011, 09:15 AM

No- why do you ask?

:shock:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-27-2011, 09:19 AM
1st or 2nd round talent in one draft may not be a 1st or 2nd round talent in another draft. What if Tomlin & Colbert view BPA as nothing more than 2nd round talent? For example, where does a Williams, Heyward, Harris, Sherrod, etc stack up against 2010 draft? Is a Williams or Harris better than Devin Mccourty, Kyle Wilson, or Patrick Robinson? Look at many drafts. Where do they stack up against Mike Jenkins, Antione Cason, Brandon Flowers. That is something many of us don't see. Just cause they are tagged 1st round talent doen't make them compatible 1st round talent. There is a pool each year and someone has to be first round talent.

It is easy to look back at a draft and look at the what if. But the Steelers could have stayed put instead of moving up for Holmes and landed Chad Jackson or Sinorice Moss. So if they want to go get their guy, I will trust in them.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-27-2011, 09:19 AM
no offense ovi, but your opinion on the pounceys doesn't carry much weight after last year. you bashed maurkice for a month leading up to the draft telling us what a terrible player he was and how he would never succeed at the NFL level.

if mike gets by the giants at #19, i would start making some calls.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-27-2011, 09:36 AM
I think everyone who thinks there are 3rd & 4th round Gs who will be better than Mike Pouncey in this draft should throw those names out here? 2-3 years down the road isn't far off. The Steelers aren't looking for 2-3 years down the road but I would be interested to see how well those evaluations are compared to the league scouts & FOs?

Looking at the true G....I think Watkins, Hudson, & Wiz will be very productive and play at a high level early. I think Watkins will be the closest to immediate impact as Pouncey. I also think Rackley & Hurd could have potential to be very good down the road. Fusco also is a prospect I like as a versitile OL that could turn into soemthing good. Everyone else to me is an OT that had to kick inside or an OL that doesn't have the feet to play anywhere else and could be upgraded at anytime. Our roster is full of those type of players and we are having the G discussion again because of it.

Oviedo
04-27-2011, 09:49 AM
no offense ovi, but your opinion on the pounceys doesn't carry much weight after last year. you bashed maurkice for a month leading up to the draft telling us what a terrible player he was and how he would never succeed at the NFL level.

if mike gets by the giants at #19, i would start making some calls.

Didn't bash him, but thought that he would struggle in the power game. Glad he proved me wrong which is why I know why I'm typing to you and not at the Steelers facility.

I just thought Bulaga and Iupati offered more because of their ability to potentially become good OTs. BTW--both those guys did really well too so I wasn't that wrong. It just became a flavor of ice cream issue...some like chocolate and some like vanilla. I like guys who can be OTs because they are harder to find.

SteelBucks
04-27-2011, 10:01 AM

I think you are potentially missing the point. Pouncey II will be no better than a good NFL Guard. Nothing more. he can't "grow" into any other position. If Maurkice did not leave Florida a year early and have the season he did everyone would be talking about Mike as a Mid Round 2 to Round 3 draft pick. He is not as good a player as his brother. Nothing magical is going to happen through ESP if he is teamed with his brother.

No way should then even remotely consider going up more than two or three spots to get him. Even then there will be players who will turn out to be just as good sitting in Round 2.

:Agree

I can't get my head around moving up potentially 10-12 spots for an offensive guard. Pouncey 2.0 may turn out to be great but trading away picks when other glaring needs have been identified, especially in the secondary, seems short sighted.

Either way, tomorrow night should be fun to watch. This is the first draft in a few years in which I have no idea which way the Steelers are leaning.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2011, 10:04 AM

No- why do you ask?

:shock:

What if he phrased it correctly in the third person and asked "Is Chadman being sarcastic?" instead?

Oviedo
04-27-2011, 10:04 AM

:Agree

I can't get my head around moving up potentially 10-12 spots for an offensive guard. Pouncey 2.0 may turn out to be great but trading away picks when other glaring needs have been identified, especially in the secondary, seems short sighted.

Either way, tomorrow night should be fun to watch. This is the first draft in a few years in which I have no idea which way the Steelers are leaning.

My point all along. We have multiple needs not just at RG.

ikestops85
04-27-2011, 10:19 AM
If we had kept Keith Urbik we wouldn't be having this discussion. :moon :lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-27-2011, 10:22 AM

$$$$$

This rumor just does not pass the smell test.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2011, 10:26 AM
Well guys, Tomlin & Colbert no the value of the interior OL. No matter if it is run blocking or pass blocking argument. If you can't control the A gap, you have to compensate on route running or double teams. If you can't hold the front of the pocket on a pass play or be able to have your G/C come off a combination block & get to a LB, it limits what you can do. I know it isn't the sexy pick you all want or the multiple players we want to see on the roster, but it makes the most sense since there more than likely won't be a sure thing CB at #31 or one in range that is on their board.

I'm not worried about the picks because this draft has a cliff in the mid 20s. There is alot of good football players in the 2-4 rounds that are bunched together. Add in the fact the Steelers are picking at the end of the 1st round puts them over that cliff. The Steelers are getting "left overs" at #31 and #63 is right in the middle of the bunch where a good scouting department can find value. Up or out is the way to go this draft. I would much rather come out of this draft with a lock starter at a position of need in the 1st 2 rounds than 2 guys who have to wait their turn, find a position, or stay on the 53 their rookie contract and go use their degree in a different career. I hear many of you saying Colbert has not been real good in round 2 of the draft. Well, #31 & #63 in this years draft class is 2 2nd rounders. Take it for what it is worth & I will trust in the Steelers FO. They haven't let us down yet when they go get the player they want.

Your point about the importance of controlling the A gap is well taken. We've been a poor team in short yardage and goal line situations in recent years. Meanwhile, down at the University of Florida, Tim #&@%ing Tebow was setting the record for all-time rushing TD's in the history of the SEC conference, breaking Herschel Walker's record when he was at Georgia. Was Saint Tebow able to waltz into the end zone because God himself provided a clear path for the righteous, or was it simply because all he had to do was run it between the Pouncey twins? I would love to be able to see Mendenhall and Redman able to blast the ball into the end zone on a regular basis behind the Pouncey twins.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2011, 10:27 AM

Does Kraig have a twin brother Keith like Maurkice and Mike??? :stirpot

ikestops85
04-27-2011, 10:38 AM

Does Kraig have a twin brother Keith like Maurkice and Mike??? :stirpot

No, that's Kraig Urban ... twin of the country singer. :lol:

steelz09
04-27-2011, 10:58 AM
I would like to move up to get Pouncey and finally solidify our interior line. That way Heath Miller can actually be targeted on passing downs instead of having to block "max protect" so Big Ben doesn't get killed.

That would make a hell of a lot more sense than drafting a "pass catching tightend" like the rumor has it. You already have a "pass catching tight end" but he has to block because the interior line (both guards) have sucked for so long.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-27-2011, 11:14 AM
I think the Bucs are a good candidate based on the relationship. But also remember some teams who need a QB are the same who are missing 2nd or 3rd round picks like the Redskins, Vikings, and Dolphins. Anything can happen & draft day panics will happen if a teams phone doesn't ring when they are on the clock.

Just a scenario, but if the Steelers talk to the Dolphins & know what they want..They watch the board and see if a QB falls to them. Newton & Gabbert are gone. Dolphins are without a 2nd and may want to take a QB early but with the two off the board, #15 is too high. #31 slots nicely and they may have their pick at the next QB to come off. Make the call & see how desperate they are. Offer them #31 & #63. They may not get any offers. Come crunch time call them back and throw in 2012 3rd. That would bring it to a min 992 to 1050 on the chart but we have seen it go both ways. I find it hard to believe that a team with ?'s at QB & RB and with what happened to Marshall that they wouldn't act on getting in a position to draft a QB without reaching & gaining a 2nd when they don't have one. Of course if someone else calls, the price goes up. It will be interesting to watch, to say the least.

WoodleyofTroy
04-27-2011, 11:29 AM

I'm not missing anything. If paired together, these two will play like one. Do you understand that talk when referring to the Offensive Line? These aren't Wide Receivers lined up on opposite sides of the field. Maurkice will be there for Mike when's he down, Mike will be there for Maurkice when he is. Both will always play with extra incentive to not give up a sack, to not commit a penalty, etc. They will go home and talk about what they need to improve on...EVERY DAY. They aren't just Brothers. They're twins. I don't know about you, but if you don't see the upside to that for Ben (on and off the field), then I question anything else you have to say.

feltdizz
04-27-2011, 12:50 PM

Your point about the importance of controlling the A gap is well taken. We've been a poor team in short yardage and goal line situations in recent years. Meanwhile, down at the University of Florida, Tim #&@%ing Tebow was setting the record for all-time rushing TD's in the history of the SEC conference, breaking Herschel Walker's record when he was at Georgia. Was Saint Tebow able to waltz into the end zone because God himself provided a clear path for the righteous, or was it simply because all he had to do was run it between the Pouncey twins? I would love to be able to see Mendenhall and Redman able to blast the ball into the end zone on a regular basis behind the Pouncey twins.

Tebow ran over lineman and LB's at the GL. Tebow NEVER waltzed into the endzone.

Also need to remember Florida never developed a true RB while Tebow was there so I have no idea how good these 2 would be at run blocking.

feltdizz
04-27-2011, 12:54 PM

I'm not missing anything. If paired together, these two will play like one. Do you understand that talk when referring to the Offensive Line? These aren't Wide Receivers lined up on opposite sides of the field. Maurkice will be there for Mike when's he down, Mike will be there for Maurkice when he is. Both will always play with extra incentive to not give up a sack, to not commit a penalty, etc. They will go home and talk about what they need to improve on...EVERY DAY. They aren't just Brothers. They're twins. I don't know about you, but if you don't see the upside to that for Ben (on and off the field), then I question anything else you have to say.

why would a twin have extra incentive to not commit a penalty or give up a sack? LOL.

That is the goal of all lineman.

Oviedo
04-27-2011, 01:06 PM

IMO you are banking a 1st Round pick plus additional picks on mystical and paranormal twin stuff.

If Pouncey is at #31 and not picked (maybe even #28) I'm totally OK with taking him, but I'm not banking on our OL improving because of ESP or a 6th sense between two of five OL.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-27-2011, 01:20 PM

People who never played OL on a high competitive level may never understand the value of chemistry & familiarity that must exist along the OL and what impact it has on the unit that relates to the whole offensive production. If their not putting up points or stats, "They can be found later in the draft." is their understanding. I get the feeling you played.

The Steelers could be blessed with an opportunity to not only get the best G in this draft & one of the better ones to come out over the recent years...But to get one that played next to your ProBowl C for his whole life except for 2010. Pair that with one of the two biggest needs on the Steelers team, and the fact that the current core is "eating at the table" RIGHT NOW...It isn't difficult to see why the Steelers would consider it.

Why would you sit at #31 and take a college CB who may or may not play CB in the NFL or a CB who may never be more than a #3 CB on the slot, or take BPA at a position where he will be a rotation guy at best for the next 2-3 years, if you have a shot at helping this team right now form the moment the kid puts on his Steelers cap? Makes perfect sense to me. If Jimmy Smith wasn't such a risk & he was on their board, I would be all for going up to get him. There is nobody else that helps this team in this window. The next player that might fit the description is Watkins. The talent is there but I get the feeling the Steelers are having a difficult time using a 1st on a 27 year old rookie. I have the same problem with Watkins.

I would bet this story has merrit. Wanting & getting are two different things. However, One word has stuck with me through this whole process..."Identical." Until Mike Pouncey goes off the board tomorrow night and is holding a different hat than a Steelers, I will believe it could happen.

insanesteelersfan
04-27-2011, 01:32 PM

People who never played OL on a high competitive level may never understand the value of chemistry & familiarity that must exist along the OL and what impact it has on the unit that relates to the whole offensive production. If their not putting up points or stats, "They can be found later in the draft." is their understanding. I get the feeling you played.

The Steelers could be blessed with an opportunity to not only get the best G in this draft & one of the better ones to come out over the recent years...But to get one that played next to your ProBowl C for his whole life except for 2010. Pair that with one of the two biggest needs on the Steelers team, and the fact that the current core is "eating at the table" RIGHT NOW...It isn't difficult to see why the Steelers would consider it.

Why would you sit at #31 and take a college CB who may or may not play CB in the NFL or a CB who may never be more than a #3 CB on the slot, or take BPA at a position where he will be a rotation guy at best for the next 2-3 years, if you have a shot at helping this team right now form the moment the kid puts on his Steelers cap? Makes perfect sense to me. If Jimmy Smith wasn't such a risk & he was on their board, I would be all for going up to get him. There is nobody else that helps this team in this window. The next player that might fit the description is Watkins. The talent is there but I get the feeling the Steelers are having a difficult time using a 1st on a 27 year old rookie. I have the same problem with Watkins.

I would bet this story has merrit. Wanting & getting are two different things. However, One word has stuck with me through this whole process..."Identical." Until Mike Pouncey goes off the board tomorrow night and is holding a different hat than a Steelers, I will believe it could happen.

If chemistry means as much as you say it does. Then why did we go to 3 Super Bowl games in 5 years, each year with a completely different, and banged-up O-Line. I mean NONE of those guys played with one another for very long, and yet they did okay. And Pouncey is far from the best Guard in this draft cause technically he didn't play Guard. And he is overhyped solely because of his brother. Best Guard in the draft ? Hell Pouncey wasn't even the best Guard in his own SEC conference.

Truly laughable.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-27-2011, 01:51 PM

IMO you are banking a 1st Round pick plus additional picks on mystical and paranormal twin stuff.

If Pouncey is at #31 and not picked (maybe even #28) I'm totally OK with taking him, but I'm not banking on our OL improving because of ESP or a 6th sense between two of five OL.
Calling it "6th sense & ESP" says all we need to know O.

How much communication & what kind of communication do you think goes on in the 3 seconds after the C snaps the ball & the QB throws it? You must have better ears than me because I never heard a coach yelling from the sideline after the ball is snapped instructions on who each guy blocks after the front changes & a blitz comes. You also have better eyes than I do because I never saw any of the OL pulling out a chalkboard after the C snaps the ball and going over what happens if this guy does this or if he goes here...You do this & I'll get him. Or how about when you engage a double teaming to one side (weak) in pass pro and see a LB firing B gap backside (strong), you come off your double team weakside, engage the defender strong side with your G and he knows enough to fall off and look for the blitz in the B gap. Do you really think that is something you could practice? Do you think you could simulate that in 11 on 11 every week against a different opponent? I mean I listen to everyone in here say how this guy missed that guy and he was late or he got beat or he missed his assignment....The reality is it's not always textbook. The adjustments are made on the fly for OL. If the DC showed them the same they saw on film every play he would be out of a job. It is called "It". Pouncey #1 has it and so does his brother. If you watch them in 2009...You will see it. There is no learning curve on Mike Pouncey to RG for the Steelers once the playbook gets in hand. That right there is worth trading up for.

birtikidis
04-27-2011, 01:56 PM
All I can say is that our qb will never have a LONG career if he keeps getting banged up.

and unless you missed something, the Gators had a bunch of guys who could run the ball.

Harvin was pretty darn good their sophmore year.

Rainey and Demps did a pretty good job the following year

last year Rainey was suspened, Maurkice was gone, and Demps was banged up.

oh and Tebow ran for a butt load of yards too.

I personally don't care so much about the rushing statistics anyway. All you guys keep preaching how it's a passing league. Well, Mike is really good in pass protection. and he would make an awesome LEFT Guard on our team.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2011, 01:58 PM

ESP and mystical paranormal twin stuff? Seriously?

No, it is about the cohension, continuity, and teamwork along the o-line. When two guys have played next to each other for their entire lives, they will work together better right off the bat than if you just introduce some other guy he's never met before. It's a pretty simple concept.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-27-2011, 02:02 PM

If chemistry means as much as you say it does. Then why did we go to 3 Super Bowl games in 5 years, each year with a completely different, and banged-up O-Line. I mean NONE of those guys played with one another for very long, and yet they did okay. And Pouncey is far from the best Guard in this draft cause technically he didn't play Guard. And he is overhyped solely because of his brother. Best Guard in the draft ? Hell Pouncey wasn't even the best Guard in his own SEC conference.

Truly laughable.
Here we go again with your Hudson garbage. Pouncey played G and moved to C after his brother left. Hudson is no better than Pouncey...Isn't even close enough to debate.

Why did we get to the SB 3 games in the last 5 years...His name is Ben Roethlisberger. The coaching staff & OL deserve great credit in what they did keeping that OL functioning as well as they did. But I seem to remember winning two of those SBs with all the starters being together except for Stapleton playing for Simmons but he got 12 games in with the 4 regular starters. As for the last one we LOST, where we had musical chairs OL...I seem to remember 2 turnovers that were a direct result of OL mistake that cost the game.

insanesteelersfan
04-27-2011, 02:12 PM
[quote=WoodleyofTroy] I'm not missing anything. If paired together, these two will play like one. Do you understand that talk when referring to the Offensive Line? These aren't Wide Receivers lined up on opposite sides of the field. Maurkice will be there for Mike when's he down, Mike will be there for Maurkice when he is. Both will always play with extra incentive to not give up a sack, to not commit a penalty, etc. They will go home and talk about what they need to improve on...EVERY DAY. They aren't just Brothers. They're twins. I don't know about you, but if you don't see the upside to that for Ben (on and off the field), then I question anything else you have to say.

Truly laughable.
Here we go again with your Hudson garbage. Pouncey played G and moved to C after his brother left. Hudson is no better than Pouncey...Isn't even close enough to debate.

Why did we get to the SB 3 games in the last 5 years...His name is Ben Roethlisberger. The coaching staff & OL deserve great credit in what they did keeping that OL functioning as well as they did. But I seem to remember winning two of those SBs with all the starters being together except for Stapleton playing for Simmons but he got 12 games in with the 4 regular starters. As for the last one we LOST, where we had musical chairs OL...I seem to remember 2 turnovers that were a direct result of OL mistake that cost the game.[/quote:2khvy736]

Yes the O-line was brutal last year in the SB. But we will have Max back. And there are a ton of OL's in this draft who are better then Essex, Legursky, ect. Why trade our entire draft for a slightly above average Guard ? You can spin it anyway you like but the facts are Mike Pouncey, although good is NOT close to All-World.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-27-2011, 02:27 PM
[quote=WoodleyofTroy] I'm not missing anything. If paired together, these two will play like one. Do you understand that talk when referring to the Offensive Line? These aren't Wide Receivers lined up on opposite sides of the field. Maurkice will be there for Mike when's he down, Mike will be there for Maurkice when he is. Both will always play with extra incentive to not give up a sack, to not commit a penalty, etc. They will go home and talk about what they need to improve on...EVERY DAY. They aren't just Brothers. They're twins. I don't know about you, but if you don't see the upside to that for Ben (on and off the field), then I question anything else you have to say.

Truly laughable.

Why did we get to the SB 3 games in the last 5 years...His name is Ben Roethlisberger. The coaching staff & OL deserve great credit in what they did keeping that OL functioning as well as they did. But I seem to remember winning two of those SBs with all the starters being together except for Stapleton playing for Simmons but he got 12 games in with the 4 regular starters. As for the last one we LOST, where we had musical chairs OL...I seem to remember 2 turnovers that were a direct result of OL mistake that cost the game.

Yes the O-line was brutal last year in the SB. But we will have Max back. And there are a ton of OL's in this draft who are better then Essex, Legursky, ect. Why trade our entire draft for a slightly above average Guard ? You can spin it anyway you like but the facts are Mike Pouncey, although good is NOT close to All-World.[/quote:1hv992bl]
Hey we agree on something! But I didn't spin anything, and never tagged Pouncey as all world. He is the best in this draft at G and compares to anyone you want to throw out as 1st round Gs as of late. Steelers need a RG...now! Steelers need to take then handing out of this offense day 1 and Pouncey fits. If Hampton retired today would anyone flinch at moving up to get a NT? To me...That's about the same need scale. One more piece on that OL will make a difference and I believe he is the guy. What does he cost and will the Steelers spend it??? Only have to wait until tomorrow.

birtikidis
04-27-2011, 02:33 PM
Nasty, I agree with everything you said but one thing... We need a LG not a RG. Kemo would move to RG if we draft pouncey. He's not athletic enough to cover the wider area that is created when the LT has to block an edge rusher. Pouncey is.

insanesteelersfan
04-27-2011, 02:35 PM

Okay well if what you say is true about them having SUPER Chemistry and what not, and they will know one another, and better prtect the QB....then Riddle me this. How come last season at florida, without Maurkice, the Florida QB's...John Brantley and Jordan Reed...threw for a combined 375 pass attempts, and were sacked a combined 23 times ?
While in 2009, with BOTH " Super Telekinesis twins " Maurkice & Mike ", and an EXPERIENCED QB in Tim Tebow, how come they allowed 27 sacks ?...and on 61 LESS pass attempts ?

Got an answer for that one :wft

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-27-2011, 02:40 PM
Nasty, I agree with everything you said but one thing... We need a LG not a RG. Kemo would move to RG if we draft pouncey. He's not athletic enough to cover the wider area that is created when the LT has to block an edge rusher. Pouncey is.
I can't argue with some of Kemo's play last year. However, he would still be the best G we would have next to Pouncey so he will stay. I'm hoping Kemo will have a better year. Even with Kemo at LG & Pouncey at RG, you will see an improvement. Kemo seems to have mental lapses in the games and doesn't recognize blitz pick up quick enough at times but he is the best pulling G on the roster. Having 2 pulling Gs on this OL will keep defenses honest and line stunts to the bunck & TE. If they have the abilty to pull a RG weakside on a counter...The running playbook goes past page 2. :evil:

insanesteelersfan
04-27-2011, 02:42 PM
" Boss boss, Da Plane, Da plane "...Welcome to FANTASY ISLAND!!

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... a-fantasy/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/27/report-tying-pounceys-together-in-pittsburgh-called-a-fantasy/)

So, here endith this BOGUS story!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-27-2011, 02:54 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... a-fantasy/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/27/report-tying-pounceys-together-in-pittsburgh-called-a-fantasy/)

As much as one published report started it, one publish report from PFT should end it? Sounds like good logic. :lol:

insanesteelersfan
04-27-2011, 03:04 PM

As much as one published report started it, one publish report from PFT should end it? Sounds like good logic. :lol:

It wasn't from PFT. It was from Ed Bouchette and his article. And I will take it from a guy who is the main steelers beat writer for the past 20 + years more then Jason La con..whatever! And Ed;s point is right. How does Mike Tomlin tell Colbert who to draft ? If it were Cowher, I might believe it. But not a coach with just a few years into the job.

Oviedo
04-27-2011, 03:57 PM
Ed Bouchette has it exactly right about trading up to get Pouncey...too expensive and too many other needs

Wednesday, 27 April 2011 09:23 Written by Ed Bouchette Good morning,

Nice, fuzzy story on the NFL web site that the Steelers are doing all they can to get higher in the first round and draft Maurkice Pouncey’s twin, Mike. As nice and fuzzy as Snow White and just as much a fantasy.

They would practically have to throw away their entire draft to move high enough to draft him and that’s not going to happen. They would have to go from 31 to at the very least 15 and even then they might not get him because he’s been pegged as high as 12th in the first round. And to move that many spots in the first round would take, at the very least, their draft picks in the first, second and third rounds, or more. In 2006, the Steelers moved seven spots, from No. 32 to No. 25 in order to draft Santonio Holmes. It cost them their second-round draft choice to do so. What would it cost to move, say, 12 spots? 15?

Also, Mike Tomlin does not issue “edicts” to his personnel staff. He and Kevin Colbert both would love to have Mike Pouncey on their roster. It would be a great story, just like Snow White.

Some stuff as we head into the final day before the first round of the three-day NFL draft:

--- If the Steelers are to maintain the kind of dominance on defense they generally have had over the course of 20 years, they need to restock, now, or else they will be in decline in a few years. The cold, hard truths are the ages of those defensive linemen and their thin cornerbacks. No one can assume Aaron Smith, at age 35, will ever play to his level again – or play, period, since he’s missed more than half of the past two seasons with arm injuries. The others have shown no signs of slowing down, but we’re not talking about 2011, we’re talking about 2012 or 13.

Let’s say Ziggy Hood starts at left end. Who plays if Brett Keisel is hurt? Who rotates in with those two starters? And who succeeds Casey Hampton in a few years?

No need to mention the cornerback situation, an all-too familiar topic in Pittsburgh for a few years. Even if Ike Taylor returns, he’s 30. Two more ages of starters: Linebackers James Farrior 36 and James Harrison 33. Those are not opinions, but facts.

That’s why the Steelers cannot be throwing away draft picks in order to move up and take a guard, no matter what they think of him. He’s still a guard. And if you do that, and you don’t have another draft choice until, say, the fourth round because of it, then where do you get your defensive linemen, cornerbacks and offensive tackles? Next year, maybe.

RuthlessBurgher
04-27-2011, 04:01 PM
http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109573-ed-cost-to-high-to-go-after-twin

Ed: Cost Too High to Go After Twin
Wednesday, 27 April 2011 09:23
Written by Ed Bouchette

Good morning,

Nice, fuzzy story on the NFL web site that the Steelers are doing all they can to get higher in the first round and draft Maurkice Pouncey’s twin, Mike. As nice and fuzzy as Snow White and just as much a fantasy.

They would practically have to throw away their entire draft to move high enough to draft him and that’s not going to happen. They would have to go from 31 to at the very least 15 and even then they might not get him because he’s been pegged as high as 12th in the first round. And to move that many spots in the first round would take, at the very least, their draft picks in the first, second and third rounds, or more. In 2006, the Steelers moved seven spots, from No. 32 to No. 25 in order to draft Santonio Holmes. It cost them their second-round draft choice to do so. What would it cost to move, say, 12 spots? 15?

Also, Mike Tomlin does not issue “edicts” to his personnel staff. He and Kevin Colbert both would love to have Mike Pouncey on their roster. It would be a great story, just like Snow White.

Some stuff as we head into the final day before the first round of the three-day NFL draft:

--- If the Steelers are to maintain the kind of dominance on defense they generally have had over the course of 20 years, they need to restock, now, or else they will be in decline in a few years. The cold, hard truths are the ages of those defensive linemen and their thin cornerbacks. No one can assume Aaron Smith, at age 35, will ever play to his level again – or play, period, since he’s missed more than half of the past two seasons with arm injuries. The others have shown no signs of slowing down, but we’re not talking about 2011, we’re talking about 2012 or 13.

Let’s say Ziggy Hood starts at left end. Who plays if Brett Keisel is hurt? Who rotates in with those two starters? And who succeeds Casey Hampton in a few years?

No need to mention the cornerback situation, an all-too familiar topic in Pittsburgh for a few years. Even if Ike Taylor returns, he’s 30. Two more ages of starters: Linebackers James Farrior 36 and James Harrison 33. Those are not opinions, but facts.

That’s why the Steelers cannot be throwing away draft picks in order to move up and take a guard, no matter what they think of him. He’s still a guard. And if you do that, and you don’t have another draft choice until, say, the fourth round because of it, then where do you get your defensive linemen, cornerbacks and offensive tackles? Next year, maybe.

--- Among the more interesting things that came out of Monday’s press conference – and not many interesting things came out of that, believe me – is that Kevin Colbert said there are 100 players in this draft who could “improve” his team. That gives them three in that area. If they move down a little into the top of the second round, it would give them at least four.

--- There’s still hope for undrafted players to be signed Saturday night. If Judge Susan Nelson today does not grant the NFL’s request to stay her ruling that ended the lockout, it might take into next week before the league might get a stay from the court of appeals, just long enough for teams to sign those players not drafted. That would be a good scenario for both the teams and those players.

C'mon, Ed. You are better than your reporting of the Santonio trade. We gave the Giants our 3rd and 4th to move up to get Santonio, not our 2nd. With our second round pick, we traded down with Minnesota in a separate trade to pick up their two third round picks (used to take the wonder twins...Anthony Smith and Willie Reid...of course, the Vikes didn't do much better, because they used our 2nd rounder to take Tarvaris Jackson).

SteelCrazy
04-27-2011, 05:14 PM

Truly laughable.

Why did we get to the SB 3 games in the last 5 years...His name is Ben Roethlisberger. The coaching staff & OL deserve great credit in what they did keeping that OL functioning as well as they did. But I seem to remember winning two of those SBs with all the starters being together except for Stapleton playing for Simmons but he got 12 games in with the 4 regular starters. As for the last one we LOST, where we had musical chairs OL...I seem to remember 2 turnovers that were a direct result of OL mistake that cost the game.[/quote:3nm4s4st]

I believe our 3 SB appearances have more to do with Defense, but everyone see's it differently

feltdizz
04-27-2011, 05:48 PM
All I can say is that our qb will never have a LONG career if he keeps getting banged up.

and unless you missed something, the Gators had a bunch of guys who could run the ball.

Harvin was pretty darn good their sophmore year.

Rainey and Demps did a pretty good job the following year

last year Rainey was suspened, Maurkice was gone, and Demps was banged up.

oh and Tebow ran for a butt load of yards too.

I personally don't care so much about the rushing statistics anyway. All you guys keep preaching how it's a passing league. Well, Mike is really good in pass protection. and he would make an awesome LEFT Guard on our team.

Ben has played 7 years in the NFL. If he wants to play another 7 all he has to do is tweak his game a little. Ben will always take punishment because he only knows how to play one way.

Harvin was great at Florida but he was the exception. Florida wasn't opening huge holes for RB's... It was all misdirection and Tebow running over guys.

I agree on the pass protection being the most important factor... I was just pointing out Tebows rushing TD's were mostly due to his strength not the Pouncey's opening huge holes.

feltdizz
04-27-2011, 05:51 PM
Hey we agree on something! But I didn't spin anything, and never tagged Pouncey as all world. He is the best in this draft at G and compares to anyone you want to throw out as 1st round Gs as of late. Steelers need a RG...now! Steelers need to take then handing out of this offense day 1 and Pouncey fits. If Hampton retired today would anyone flinch at moving up to get a NT? To me...That's about the same need scale. One more piece on that OL will make a difference and I believe he is the guy. What does he cost and will the Steelers spend it??? Only have to wait until tomorrow.

The NT is the most important position in a 3-4. The RG is not on the same scale.

Dee Dub
04-27-2011, 07:15 PM
Well guys, Tomlin & Colbert no the value of the interior OL..............

They do? Then why has it been so horrible the past several years? Knowing and acting on it are two different things.

Dee Dub
04-27-2011, 07:20 PM

The NT is the most important position in a 3-4. The RG is not on the same scale.

Really? I disagree. I think it is the core of the LB's. And the fact of the matter is, the Steelers have had great LB's and not really much more than adequate to good NT's.

Is Casey Hampton really great? Hmmm?? Not so sure I would say he is great. And Joel Steed? Adequate. But our LB's have been the best in the biz.

Dee Dub
04-27-2011, 07:22 PM
I would like to move up to get Pouncey and finally solidify our interior line. That way Heath Miller can actually be targeted on passing downs instead of having to block "max protect" so Big Ben doesn't get killed.

That would make a hell of a lot more sense than drafting a "pass catching tightend" like the rumor has it. You already have a "pass catching tight end" but he has to block because the interior line (both guards) have sucked for so long.

Ben has been getting killed because of Kemo's inability to pass block and whoever they have had at LT and RT the past few years. How is adding Mike Pouncey to RG going to help that?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 08:37 AM

It wasn't from PFT. It was from Ed Bouchette and his article. And I will take it from a guy who is the main steelers beat writer for the past 20 + years more then Jason La con..whatever! And Ed;s point is right. How does Mike Tomlin tell Colbert who to draft ? If it were Cowher, I might believe it. But not a coach with just a few years into the job.
I agree with you on Bouchette. But Bouchette has been wrong before. Bouchette is also the one who says the Steelers don't even have Jimmy Smith on their board and that Curtis Brown is a better fit for the Steelers than Aaron Williams. But you missed the point. Rumor starts by one report & squashed by one report? That was the point. If Tomlin or Colberts come out and say it I will believe it (for what it is worth until after Pouncey is picked). But "somebody" leaked the Steelers interest in Revis years ago...People around the Steelers tried to squash it...But it was 100% true. MOre importantly, if you think Tomlin, regardless of his resume, doesn't have an input on the draft decisions...Then you really are naive. Just when you started to make some posts that made sense. :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 08:58 AM

Truly laughable.

I believe our 3 SB appearances have more to do with Defense, but everyone see's it differently[/quote:3lp2purc]
The secondary needs help no doubt. But that was Aaron Rodgers and the Packers we played. SO I won't discredit the defense by not giving credit to who they were playing as much as everyone else. He did much worse to "better" secondaries. I don't see how anyone could put the 3 turnovers on the defense when 1 went for 6 and the other two looked to be on scoring drives tuned over in the Packers territory. You short rest your defense who is in pass coverage mode all game...You are wearing them out. Credit then goes to the defense for getting BB the ball back with 2 minutes less and a TD wins it. 9 times out of 10 in here everyone wants that scenario over the defense trying to hold the lead. I see turnovers costing the SB. See where the blame goes on two of the TOs...Hmmm.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 09:05 AM

You aren't even in the same discussion. The reference was for immediate need & had nothing to do with the position. If Hampton was gone, we would need a NT NOW to keep the defense right. The Steelers need a RG now to get the offense right. Using Hampton as an example is exactly your first sentence so are you agreeing with me or just needed something to type?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 09:28 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":3sfbpr6t]Well guys, Tomlin & Colbert no the value of the interior OL..............

They do? Then why has it been so horrible the past several years? Knowing and acting on it are two different things.[/quote:3sfbpr6t]

Hartwig to replace Hartings. Letting Faneca walk. Never finding a replacement for Simmons. I think the OL would have been pretty solid even with the young Hartwig surrounded by Faneca & Kemo. As far as "acting" on it????

Spent a first on Faneca and kept him here for 10 years.
Spent big money on another 1st round pick coming over via FA to come play center...Jeff Hartings.
Spent a 1st on Simmons to pair with the two.
Gave Kemo big money to stay after loosing Faneca.
Used the 2010 1st on Pouncey.

Since the '98 draft when Faneca was selected...The Steelers have spent "0" 1st rounders on OT. Faneca was not drafted by Colbert but his extensions/contracts were. Colbert has never drafted an OT. Having 4 1st rounders occupy 3 interior spots over the last 13 years sounds like "knowing value" to me.

Oviedo
04-28-2011, 09:31 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":30jhv0og][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":30jhv0og]Well guys, Tomlin & Colbert no the value of the interior OL..............

They do? Then why has it been so horrible the past several years? Knowing and acting on it are two different things.[/quote:30jhv0og]

Hartwig to replace Hartings. Letting Faneca walk. Never finding a replacement for Simmons. I think the OL would have been pretty solid even with the young Hartwig surrounded by Faneca & Kemo. As far as "acting" on it????

Spent big money on another 1st round pick coming over via FA to come play center...Jeff Hartings.

Since the '98 draft when Faneca was selected...The Steelers have spent "0" 1st rounders on OT. Faneca was not drafted by Colbert but his extensions/contracts were. Colbert has never drafted an OT. Having 4 1st rounders occupy 3 interior spots over the last 13 years sounds like "knowing value" to me.[/quote:30jhv0og]

...and they WILL NOT spend a Round 1 pick on OL this year either. Odds are it will be CB or DL. I still think Kyle Rudolph at TE is the wildcard pick.

feltdizz
04-28-2011, 09:38 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":s71qejip]

You aren't even in the same discussion. The reference was for immediate need & had nothing to do with the position. If Hampton was gone, we would need a NT NOW to keep the defense right. The Steelers need a RG now to get the offense right. Using Hampton as an example is exactly your first sentence so are you agreeing with me or just needed something to type?[/quote:s71qejip]

you said the need scale for RG right now is the same as the NT if Casey retired. I disagree.

You are really sensitive.

feltdizz
04-28-2011, 09:39 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":2wwlvrli]

Really? I disagree. I think it is the core of the LB's. And the fact of the matter is, the Steelers have had great LB's and not really much more than adequate to good NT's.

Is Casey Hampton really great? Hmmm?? Not so sure I would say he is great. And Joel Steed? Adequate. But our LB's have been the best in the biz.[/quote:2wwlvrli]

Casey Hampton is the best in the biz.. the NT isn't a glory position but it's the key to the 3-4.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 09:41 AM

Ben has been getting killed because of Kemo's inability to pass block and whoever they have had at LT and RT the past few years. How is adding Mike Pouncey to RG going to help that?
You follow the ball don't you? Ben gets killed because of Ben too. Kemo is late in recognition and gets beat sometimes. Had a terrible year last year in my opinion in pass pro and I would show him the door if that doesn't improve. But still best G on team. The biggest kink was the Foster getting beat or giving up ground last year. Then BB takes of around the corner of the pocket right into the OTs assignment. Who gets hit with the sack? The OT. Hartwig in decline and the combination of a lesser Simmons, Stapleton, Essex over the past several years had the same impact. When this OL was together and healthy in the beginning with Pouncey, if you were watching them and not the ball....You would have seen a huge improvement.

NJ-STEELER
04-28-2011, 09:59 AM
Wonder twins power

ACTIVATE

form of oir pro bowl center

Shape of a brick wall

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 10:14 AM
[quote="Dee Dub":1ac4h4x8][quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1ac4h4x8]Well guys, Tomlin & Colbert no the value of the interior OL..............

They do? Then why has it been so horrible the past several years? Knowing and acting on it are two different things.

Since the '98 draft when Faneca was selected...The Steelers have spent "0" 1st rounders on OT. Faneca was not drafted by Colbert but his extensions/contracts were. Colbert has never drafted an OT. Having 4 1st rounders occupy 3 interior spots over the last 13 years sounds like "knowing value" to me.[/quote:1ac4h4x8]

...and they WILL NOT spend a Round 1 pick on OL this year either. Odds are it will be CB or DL. I still think Kyle Rudolph at TE is the wildcard pick.[/quote:1ac4h4x8]

If they stay at #31...Chances are they won't take an OL. Not really a BOLD prediction saying that unless Sherrod falls or they are high on Ijalana as suggested.
I will trust in them if they go with Williams because that is what they do. But as a CB, he is 2nd round talent in my opinion and several agree. Harris...2nd round talent because he may never be more than a #3 on the slot out of nickel. Dowling...1st round talent as CB but medically could have a 2nd round grade on some teams boards. Where to the Steelers have him? Smith 1st round talent....Best cover guy in this draft....Suggested he is not even on their board because of character issues. Take away the character issues...I'm trading up for him too because he might be in reach.

Here's what I think the Steelers though process is tonight:

Plan A...I think the Steelers plan is to move up for Pouncey. My heart tells me as far as #15 but my head tells me he has to get by the Giants at #19 for them to really be interested.

Plan B is an OT. Solder will be gone and possibly Sherrod. I hear they like Ijalana but limited post season leaves that in the hands of the scouts and we don't have that info.

Plan C is Taylor & Wilkerson. I believe Taylor past the character issues with them. Both may be gone.

Plan D comes down to Heyward if he is there. I might have put Watkins here but I just have trouble believing a 27 year old rookie has the interest of Tomlin & Colbert in the first. Heyward may be gone & possibly even Watkins because I here the Pats are high on him but I still don't see Watkins fitting.

Plan E I think this is where the take phone calls...If any. I think they look at their board and see the next players they have graded. There will be several of them grouped together that they know one will still be there if they move back. I actually think thei "Plan E" will fluctuate when they are on the clock and very well move up this list if the right team calls them or they get an offer too good to pass up. But the phone has to ring!

Plan F If all the players above are gone & the phone doesn't ring, I believe the pick will come down to Aaron Williams, Ras Dowling, or Harris. I have my favorite in this group which is Dowling but we don't know where the Steelers have him based on his medical. If I was a betting man and this was the scenario...All the evidence points to Williams. Like I said, I will give the FO the benefit of the doubt in my head and believe in the pick. But my gut tells me it will be the grade will be just like the plan...An "F" at CB. but we have a future S....I hope.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 10:19 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":1hk08irw]

You aren't even in the same discussion. The reference was for immediate need & had nothing to do with the position. If Hampton was gone, we would need a NT NOW to keep the defense right. The Steelers need a RG now to get the offense right. Using Hampton as an example is exactly your first sentence so are you agreeing with me or just needed something to type?

you said the need scale for RG right now is the same as the NT if Casey retired. I disagree.

You are really sensitive.[/quote:1hk08irw]
It is! Steelers need right now are RG & CB. Hampton retires...It would be RG, CB, & NT. Not sensitive..Just get annoyed when somebody tells me something I already know. But I apologize if I offended you.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 10:26 AM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":16u8ve47]

Is Casey Hampton really great? Hmmm?? Not so sure I would say he is great. And Joel Steed? Adequate. But our LB's have been the best in the biz.[/quote:16u8ve47]
Dub man...You really need to TIVO games and rewatch after you spend the game watching the ball. You really under value the foundation on both sides of the ball. Everything the LBs do in a 3-4 are a direct result of the guys in front of them. More importantly, the ILBs production is a direct result of the NT. If your NT requires double teams or combination blocks on run plays, you have a ILB running free. Now the OLB sack numbers stand on their own for the most part but the DE contribute to outside runs for the ILB & OLB. If the OT/TE or combination of both needs a WR to crack back to seal the edge on the DE...You have the OLB left to take on the FB on a lead (if there is a FB). Then you have a free running S playside and also a CB if he can get off his block. DL in a 3-4 gets no glory...But the deserve all the credit when the D is successful.

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Wonder twins power

ACTIVATE

form of oir pro bowl center

Shape of a brick wall

After reuniting the twins in this draft to play C & RG, next year we'll have to add Gleek to take over at LG too. We have a notable shortage of blue space monkeys on our roster. :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 12:35 PM
Well...Jim Wexell has changed his mind.

https://twitter.com/#!/jimwexell

RuthlessBurgher
04-28-2011, 01:18 PM
Well...Jim Wexell has changed his mind.

https://twitter.com/#!/jimwexell

Changed his mind to what?

(Twitter is blocked here at work).

Dee Dub
04-28-2011, 01:32 PM
[quote="JUST-PLAIN-NASTY":m7m5fzmi]

Is Casey Hampton really great? Hmmm?? Not so sure I would say he is great. And Joel Steed? Adequate. But our LB's have been the best in the biz.

Casey Hampton is the best in the biz.. the NT isn't a glory position but it's the key to the 3-4.[/quote:m7m5fzmi]

I dont thinks so. He is good but is he really all that much better than what Joel Steed did? And Steed was solid but hardly the best in the biz.

PSU_dropout43
04-28-2011, 01:34 PM
Wexell tweets -

1 hour ago

As a colleague said to me, draft Mike Pouncey and insted of holding up No. 1 PR jersey, have him hold up jersey No. 68 & make 2 statements.

Actually, by draft chart, late 2nd and 3rd still bargain for 15th pick. I'd even throw in 2012 4th ... but also riding helluva coffee buzz.

Yes, I've come around on that report. Tomlin loves SEC, loves Maurkice's brain/mentality. Read Moneyball. He's Dykstra, mentally.

More than a guard. He'll team with brother for cornerstone of most nasty, aggressive line in NFL for next decade. For picks 63, 95?

I'd go so far as trade the 2nd and 3rd for MiPouncey; draft CB Cortez Allen, NT Anthony Gray, ILB Mario Harvey, S Davon Morgan 4th thru 7th.

3 hours ago

Just don't see Dolphins' pressing need for a center/guard, and a questionable center at that. MPouncey's so much more valuable with Pitt.

steelz09
04-28-2011, 01:40 PM
Ngata is the best interior lineman in the league at the current moment.

Big Snack has been solid for a long time but he doesn't have much left in the tank. He typically only plays on 1st and 2nd downs and that's normally in our base 3-4.

Then he can barely make it to the sidelines before the opposing team snaps the ball on 3rd down.

feltdizz
04-28-2011, 01:56 PM

Big Snack has been solid for a long time but he doesn't have much left in the tank. He typically only plays on 1st and 2nd downs and that's normally in our base 3-4.

Then he can barely make it to the sidelines before the opposing team snaps the ball on 3rd down.

LOL.. Hampton's job is to get double teams and let the LB's make plays... he still does that well.

ikestops85
04-28-2011, 02:03 PM

LOL.. Hampton's job is to get double teams and let the LB's make plays... he still does that well.

Exactly ... Hampton is one of the reasons that our linebackers are stars. He eats up blockers and doesn't let them get to the second level so the backers can flow to the ball.

In my mind Casey was one of the biggest surprises last year. I thought for sure after he signed that contract that he would rest on his laurels. Instead he came into camp in the best shape he has been in for years and had a great year on the field. Yes, he is a 2 down player but so are most NTs. I still think he is one of the most dominant nose tackles in the league today.

Dee Dub
04-28-2011, 02:12 PM

I agree but to call him great I dont agree. In fact Vince Wilfork and Kris Jenkins are just as good if not better.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 02:32 PM
I was also impressed how Casey did last year. He isn't the Casey of 4 years ago but he still sets the point of atack for the LBs to make plays. I would not hesitate to say the reason why Farrior is still puttin along has something to do with Casey taking away his blocker for all these years. As someone said, Ngata is da man right now.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-28-2011, 02:49 PM
On a side note, did anyone watch NFL Network last night and see Charley Casserly do a break down of the last 10 years and the success rate of a player by round to start for their team over a 4 year term? I will look at the Steelers and see how they did compared to it but they have been very fortunate in the 1st.

1st-75%
2nd-50%
3rd-30%
4th-25%
5th-20%
6th-9%
7th-5%

A 50 / 50 shot in the 2nd?????? Maybe Colbert really isn't that bad. :shock:

OK...Did the Steelers over the last 10 years. Made 4 starters from last years class to be safe. This is the Steelers success rate by round over the last 10 years.

1st-100%
2nd-50%
3rd-36%
4th-40%
5th-7%
6th-8%
7th-17%

feltdizz
04-28-2011, 03:10 PM

I agree but to call him great I dont agree. In fact Vince Wilfork and Kris Jenkins are just as good if not better.

That is great company to be in.. I didn't say Casey was the best but he isn't far from it.
:shock: WTF felt?

Shoe
04-28-2011, 06:56 PM
One hidden but not inconsequential aspect to this is the idea that two of your presumably best players (assuming Mike becomes a Steeler and can live up to 1st round status), the two will likely be willing to "take less" to remain together. It would be quite unlikely for both to be able to team up at another place.

If they would like to stay together (and given their elite status, primarily Maurkice), they would have to take less than what is deemed market value to make it work, if both become as good as the draft status. Save us some dollars.

birtikidis
04-28-2011, 07:25 PM
More weapons.. guess Ben can make the throws from his back.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-28-2011, 07:58 PM
ask nick mangold how good casey hampton is.

i bet he still has nightmares about being tossed around like a ragdoll in the AFCCG.

NJ-STEELER
04-28-2011, 09:38 PM
ask nick mangold how good casey hampton is.

i bet he still has nightmares about being tossed around like a ragdoll in the AFCCG.

thats why i laugh when i see some mocking phil taylor to us.

KC was throwing around the best center in the league in the AFCC

hawaiiansteel
04-29-2011, 04:00 PM
Dolphins will use Mike Pouncey as a center

Posted by Josh Alper on April 29, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/x6106-e1304104986694.jpg?w=250

It has been a long time since an interior lineman went as high as Mike Pouncey did when the Dolphins took him with the 15th overall pick, but he’s still being thought of as the safest pick the team could have made.

They were in a position to roll the dice on a quarterback or grab Mark Ingram, but went with a player that general manager Jeff Ireland said he felt the most comfortable with at that point in the draft.

“I think it’s a good, safe pick,” Ireland said. “I think I know exactly what I’m getting with Pouncey, and that makes me feel pretty good that we’ve solidified an offensive line here.”

Ireland’s view goes right along with what everyone was saying about Pouncey in the months leading up to the draft. About the only question anyone had about Pouncey was whether he would be playing guard or center at the professional level. Ireland cleared that up late on Thursday by saying that he’s being viewed as a center.

Pouncey had a rough debut at the position in Florida’s first game of the 2010 season when he screwed up 13 snaps. He showed improvement, however, and the Dolphins clearly believe he will continue to do so as he steps up to the NFL.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -a-center/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/29/dolphins-will-use-mike-pouncey-as-a-center/)