PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Should Do Their Best To Trade Out Of 1st Round

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2011, 01:55 AM
Monday, April 25, 2011

Steelers Should Do Their Best To Trade Out Of The 1st Round On Thursday

It has been 43 years since the Steelers have not made a 1st round selection and this Thursday would be the perfect draft to break that streak. The Steelers pick 31st overall in the 2011 NFL draft and the talent that will likely be left on the board at that time might be best regarded as second round talent. The value seems to drop fast after about the 26th pick in my opinion and the Steelers would be better off trading down a handful of spots to attain an early second round pick and perhaps another 4th round selection in addition.

Last night I identified six teams that might be potential trading partners that all could be looking to jump back into the bottom of the first round to grab a quarterback. If this indeed does happen, I feel the Steelers would be doing themselves a huge favor as it would perhaps then allow them to properly address the cornerback position along with the offensive and defensive line properly with multiple picks.

The draft is pretty rich with second round cornerback and tackle talent and coming out of the draft with 8 or 9 draft picks would not be a bad thing considering that the Steelers are often not a big player in the free agent market. This assumes of course that there even will be a free agent signing period. The extra picks would also enhance the competition at training camp between the 2010 draft picks and those that do not make the 53 man roster would be prime candidates for the practice squad.

If the draft goes like many of the mocks are predicting the bottom of the first round might only present the Steelers with the likes of Aaron Williams, Cameron Heyward, Phil Taylor, Akeem Ayers and Brandon Harris. None of which really get you overly excited as first round selections if you have watched them in action. Most have Williams, Harris or Heyward as the pick should they stay put, but it is hard to believe that comparative talent could not be had just a handful of picks later as the top of the second round group of players offer much more upside. Cornerbacks Ras-I Dowling, Curtis Brown and Brandon Burton all come to mind as possible early second round prospects as do tackles Marcus Cannon, James Carpenter and Marcus Gilbert. The extra 3rd or 4th round selection they would likely receive in the deal would allow perhaps another corner to be drafted like Curtis Marsh, Cortez Allen or Buster Skrine. Many of these players I have listed have made pre draft visits to Pittsburgh, so the interest in them is real.

Director of Operations Kevin Colbert has a pretty good eye at identifying value and one has to think that that there is not much left this year at the bottom of round one, like there was when the Steelers drafted Ziggy Hood with their 32nd overall selection just 2 short years ago. Hood was easily one of the top 3 or 4 five technique defensive ends in the draft at it fit an obvious need as well. While Williams, Heyward and Taylor are certainly talented players, they all have red flags on them that severely lower their first round value.

The Steelers very well could end up staying put with their pick Thursday night, but it would not hurt my feelings at all to see them trade out of the first round altogether.

Streaks and tendencies are made to be broken and this year is as good as any to do it in my honest opinion. The question now becomes if they have a trading partner willing to dance and if they are willing to pull the trigger to get the deal done. We will know in just a few more days the answer to that question.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/st ... -thursday/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/steelers-should-do-their-best-to-trade-out-of-the-1st-round-on-thursday/)

hawaiiansteel
04-26-2011, 02:01 AM
Monday, April 25, 2011

Likeliest Trade Partners Should The Steelers Trade Out Of 1st Round

The Steelers are more than likely to stand pat with their 31st overall selection on Thursday night, but trading is always an option.

Should the Steelers do any trading on Thursday night, the consensus guess would be that they trade down and not up. There are quite a few teams that pick early in round 1 that might be clamoring to get back into the bottom of round 1 should they not grab a quarterback with their 1st overall pick.

There are 6 teams that this could apply to that the Steelers might consider dealing with. These 6 teams are the Cardinals, Titans, 49ers, Bills, Vikings and Redskins.

The question becomes, do these teams have the ammunition to get the Steelers 31st overall pick according to the 2011 NFL draft-pick value chart. I have saved everyone the time by also adding these six teams below along with their draft pick value for each round along with the Steelers picks and values. Remember that teams can not trade their compensatory draft picks awarded to them and can not trade players with no labor deal in place.

Next we will have a look at each of the 6 teams that might be possible trade partners and the ammunition they have to trade with the Steelers.

Arizona Cardinals - The Steelers traded with the Cardinals last year during the draft and they are one of the most likely teams to do so this year as well. Should they decide not to draft a quarterback with their 5th overall selection, they might be looking to get back into the bottom of round 1 to get one. Their 2nd round pick (38th overall) is valued at 520 points and their 4th round pick (103rd overall) is valued at 88 points. These two picks total 608 and would likely be enough for the Steelers to make a move. This would mean the Steelers would move down just 6 spots and would then have two 2nd round picks as well as two 4th round picks. They do play Arizona this year, so that would be the only small draw back, but a very minor one at that.

Tennessee Titans - The Titans could also be in the picture as a possible trading partner and they too could be a candidate to get back into the bottom of round 1 should they not draft a quarterback with their 8th overall selection. It is a little tougher though for the Titans to come up with 600 points though. Their 2nd round pick (39th overall) is worth 510 points and their first 4th round pick (109th overall is worth 76 points. This totals 586 and leaves them 14 points short in trade value. Should a 2012 pick not be in play, it might cost the Titans their 6th round pick (175th overall) in addition to the 2nd and the 4th. If this trade were to happen, the Steelers would be moving down 8 spots and would then have two 2nd, 4th and 6th round picks. The Steelers also play the Titans in 2011 as well, but like Arizona, not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

San Francisco 49ers - The 49ers are also a possible trading partner and another team that might be looking to get trade back into the bottom of round 1. Their 2nd round pick (45th overall) is worth 450 points and their two 4th round picks (108th & 115th overall) are worth another 142 points. This totals 592 points and might cost the 49ers their first 7th round pick (211th overall) as well. The biggest draw back to this deal though is that the Steelers would be moving back 14 whole spots and it certainly might be too far to move back, but they would pick up 3 additional picks and then have three 4th round picks total.

Buffalo Bills Ė The Bills also are a possible trading partner as their 2nd round pick (34th overall) is worth 560 points and their second 4th round pick (122nd overall) is worth 50 points. That totals up to 610 points and would mean the Steelers move back just 3 spots and pick up an early 4th rounder in the process. The only way this deal happens though is if Buffalo is convinced a team below them is also trying to trade with the Steelers to get a quarterback they may be targeting in the 2nd round should they bypass one in round 1.

Minnesota Vikings - The Vikings could very well be another team looking to get back into the bottom of round 1 for a quarterback, but they likely would not have enough ammunition to trade with the Steelers unless 2012 picks were used. Their 2nd round pick (43rd overall) is worth just 470 points and their 4th round pick (106th overall) has a value of 82 points. This leaves them 48 points short and would likely cost the Vikings a 4th or 5th from 2012. Another draw back with this deal is that the Steelers would be moving back 12 spots. That is perhaps a little too far for the Steelers liking to get a player they might be targeting should they trade out of round 1.

Washington Redskins - The Redskins are another team in need of a future quarterback, but like the Vikings, might not have enough ammunition as the Redskins do not have a 3rd or 4th round pick in this draft. Their 2nd round pick (41st overall) has a value of 490 and their two 5th round picks along with their one 6th round pick only total up to another 86 points. 24 points shy of the 600 needed. Once again this would mean 2012 picks might need to be in the deal and with the labor uncertainty, one has to wonder if teams will even mess with trading those. The Redskins just do not seem like they have enough to get a deal done, especially being as players can not be traded during the lockout as part of deals during the draft.

In closing I think if any team trades up to the Steelers spot it will be because they wanting a quarterback. I think if it does happen, it will be either the Cardinals, Titans or 49ers to make the deal as they have the most ammunition to do so with their 2011 picks they have. In the end, if I had to place a bet, I would bet the Steelers stay put where they are at in round 1.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/li ... 1st-round/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/likeliest-trade-partners-should-the-steelers-trade-out-of-1st-round/)

RuthlessBurgher
04-26-2011, 02:03 AM
I agree with the thought here. If Pouncey 2.0 does not fall within reasonable striking distance for a trade-up, then it would make sense to trade down to accumulate assets in the 2nd and 3rd round range, where there are a number of prospects that we like.

The only problem would be that, even though I would understand that it would be in the best interest of the Steelers, this scenario would likely drive me nuts because then I would have to go to bed on Thursday night without knowing our first pick and would have to wait all the way until Friday evening for our first actual draft pick. I liked the old way of having rounds 1-3 on Saturday afternoon and rounds 4-7 on Sunday afternoon better than this 3 day prime time mumbo jumbo.

steelblood
04-26-2011, 07:49 AM
I agree with the thought here. If Pouncey 2.0 does not fall within reasonable striking distance for a trade-up, then it would make sense to trade down to accumulate assets in the 2nd and 3rd round range, where there are a number of prospects that we like.

The only problem would be that, even though I would understand that it would be in the best interest of the Steelers, this scenario would likely drive me nuts because then I would have to go to bed on Thursday night without knowing our first pick and would have to wait all the way until Friday evening for our first actual draft pick. I liked the old way of having rounds 1-3 on Saturday afternoon and rounds 4-7 on Sunday afternoon better than this 3 day prime time mumbo jumbo.

I despise the new format. My kids can only watch the beginning and I'm asleep before 25th pick or so on Thursday. Friday night is a terrible time for rounds 2-3 as I invariably have plans (made for me by the wife).

It is funny. It seems that they have made the draft an event for non-football fans at the expense of some of the football junkies. Even the coverage is skewed that way now. Too many human interest and draft history pieces, not enough coverage of who is being selected.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-26-2011, 09:11 AM
I find it funny that people continually use the draft value chart as the only basis for player value.

Trading is a negotiation. If the Steelers are on the clock and get a call from the Titans, do you think that the conversation goes..."well, if you add up the value of our two fourth rounders then you will also get our seventh rounder. Then it is equal."?

More than likely it goes "we want your pick now and we will give you our second and two fourths"......."Sorry, you want this pick then we will take your third and fifth, how badly do you want the QB who is sitting here? If you don't jump and GB doesn't want to move then any of the next teams could jump on him"

I'm guessing that this conversation takes place without one mention of "Your 31st overall pick is worth 600 points"

StarSpangledSteeler
04-26-2011, 12:24 PM
Colbert was recently quoted as saying "There are 20 special players in this draft". That is what he considers to be the cut off. I expect a trade down. Hopefully with Buffalo (because I think Dowling will still be there) but I would take Arizona.

One thing people need to keep in mind is that we don't really have room for nine unproven rookies on our roster. What good does it do to pick up extra prospects if we're going to lose them like what happened with Thad Gibson? That was not a talent issue that was a roster issue. With our current roster, I would rather draft five quality prospects than nine gambles. If we trade down in the first it better involve trading back up in the 3rd and/or 4th.

feltdizz
04-26-2011, 05:50 PM
I love football but I find the draft to be a snore fest.

ikestops85
04-26-2011, 06:00 PM
I love football but I find the draft to be a snore fest.

The draft is a lot like heinz ketchup ... it's the anticipation

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_pR0PXDQ8NcM/TVG7ReTo8RI/AAAAAAAAAaI/zhC5GzCio-c/s1600/anticipation.jpg

phillyesq
04-26-2011, 09:20 PM
For a variety of reasons, I haven't followed the lead up to the draft as closely this year as I did in the past. But I haven't seen anybody that I'm really clamoring for with #31. Hopefully one of Colbert's targets falls, but if not, I'd rather see a trade, be it up or back.

hawaiiansteel
04-27-2011, 02:44 AM
Ed: Should Steelers Trade Down?

MONDAY, 25 APRIL 2011 08:21 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Three days before the draft and outside opinions about who the Steelers will take in the first round are all over the map. That is to be expected when a teamís drafting at No. 31.

But what if they go lower?

Itís the perfect draft to pick up some extra picks, especially for the Steelers. It is deep in cornerbacks, offensive tackles and defensive linemen. Those happen to be the top three needs for the Steelers. If they could drop down and out of the first round, they should be able to get a decent third-round pick from someone in addition to their second-rounder.

As Iíve pointed out, they have made selections in the first round since Chuck Noll arrived in 1969 and actually since 1968. Before that, they made a habit of trading away first-round picks, usually for veteran players. Four times in the 1960s they traded away their opportunity to draft in the first round (1961, 1963, 1965 and 1967).

This, however, would be different. They would be gaining draft picks, not giving them up.

No. 31 may be technically in the first round, but is it all that different from, say, No. 38 (Arizona) or No. 41 (Washington) in the second round? Not if you believe the quality does not drop off that much over the course of the next 10 picks itís not.

San Francisco has the No. 45 overall pick, the 13th in the second round. That may be a tad too far to drop, but itís a risk-reward thing. If you believe you can still get a good player there, plus a mid-third rounder to do it, it would at least be worth considering. I still prefer a higher second-round pick, though, and the Arizona Cardinals, if they donít draft a quarterback with their fifth pick, will be looking for one with their second and maybe concerned that Buffalo (34), Cincinnati (35) or Cleveland (No. 37) will draft the one they want.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... trade-down (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109516-ed-should-steelers-trade-down)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-27-2011, 09:26 AM
I like the idea of moving down, but the team rarely operates that way. I think that Colbert usually identifies his target as opposed to the philosophy of "I'd be happy with any of these three or four guys".

Think of '07. I think that many Steelers fans would have been happy with trading back at 15 after Revis went at 14. After all, we still had several players available who the fans identified as potential picks of somewhat equal value. Timmons, Beason, Anthony Spencer, Jarvis Moss, Staley, Poz were all still on the board. Could we have slid down to around 20 and still gotten one of our guys? Probably.

But I believe that Colbert identifies his target and has focused in on him. I think that his rankings are more absolute.

So, if we get to 31 and Heyward, Williams, Dowling, Sherrod, Taylor are available, most of us would be happy dropping back 5-10 spots and gaining the ammunition to jump back up in the second or third. However, I believe that Colbert would have already zeroed in and has one of these prospects on a much higher level than the others......and he is usually right!

The one thing that I will say about Colbert is that he has earned the respect of making any first round move that he sees fit and it should be unquestioned by Steeler Nation.

NJ-STEELER
04-27-2011, 10:02 PM
But I believe that Colbert identifies his target and has focused in on him. I think that his rankings are more absolute.

i feel the same way