PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Steelers approach draft as if Ike not on team

PSU_dropout43
04-25-2011, 02:21 PM
Some quickies from the noon press conference about the draft with Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin:

--- Colbert said they will consider the roster “as it currently stands” when drafting this weekend. That means, if we can take him at his word, that it does not include any free agents – not Ike Taylor, Mewelde Moore, Willie Colon.

--- Tomlin, asked about the state of his offensive line, stated that there is a “lot of uncertainty there.’’

--- And Colbert called the young cornerbacks on the roster “an unknown.’’

“Will they or will they not produce ocne they get an opportunity? I can’t answer,’’ Colbert said.

--- Colbert said they began with 1,000 names, whittled it down to 400 and then came up with 200 players in their draft pool. Of those, he said 160 “really fit the Pittsburgh Steelers” and that those other 40 were eliminated because of character and medical questions or they do not fit in a 3-4 defense. Of those 160, “probably 100 we think can improve our team” and 20 he called “special players”.

steelblood
04-25-2011, 02:37 PM
"Colbert said they began with 1,000 names, whittled it down to 400 and then came up with 200 players in their draft pool. Of those, he said 160 “really fit the Pittsburgh Steelers” and that those other 40 were eliminated because of character and medical questions or they do not fit in a 3-4 defense. Of those 160, “probably 100 we think can improve our team” and 20 he called “special players”."

40 of their top 200 for medical, character, or scheme issues. I'd love to know the breakdown on that. I wonder if guys like Ellis, Dowling, and Greg Little made the cut.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2011, 03:30 PM
If they are approaching this draft as if both Ike Taylor and William Gay are not on our roster, then I foresee that the team drafts one of the following corners in the round 1-2 range and also one of the following corners in the round 3-5 range:

Rounds 1-2:
Aaron Williams 6'0" 204 lbs.
Ras-I Dowling 6'1" 198 lbs.
Devon House 6'1" 200 lbs.

Rounds 3-5:
Curtis Marsh 6'1" 197 lbs.
Jalil Brown 6'1" 204 lbs.
Cortez Allen 6'1" 197 lbs.

Give me 2 out of those 6 guys, and I'm a happy man (provided, of course, that you sprinkle a few big uglies on both sides of the trenches between these picks).

Oviedo
04-25-2011, 03:57 PM
If they are approaching this draft as if both Ike Taylor and William Gay are not on our roster, then I foresee that the team drafts one of the following corners in the round 1-2 range and also one of the following corners in the round 3-5 range:

Rounds 1-2:
Aaron Williams 6'0" 204 lbs.
Ras-I Dowling 6'1" 198 lbs.
Devon House 6'1" 200 lbs.

Rounds 3-5:
Curtis Marsh 6'1" 197 lbs.
Jalil Brown 6'1" 204 lbs.
Cortez Allen 6'1" 197 lbs.

Give me 2 out of those 6 guys, and I'm a happy man (provided, of course, that you sprinkle a few big uglies on both sides of the trenches between these picks).

I agree. We have to get two CBs out of this draft. Actually letting them play as rookies would be even better.