PDA

View Full Version : Flippy Mock 2.0 - The Final Edition

flippy
04-24-2011, 12:03 AM
I'm finally done with looking at tons of college games and youtube highlights of prospects in this year's draft and am finally ready for my final picks.

Here goes:

1. Ras-I Dowling - CB - Virginia - 6"1' - 198lbs

We've got to assume at this point Ike is gone and CB is our biggest need. And here's a guy that's a sure fire 1st rounder if not for an injury plagued season. He's big, physical, can blanket WRs, and plays the ball like a WR. He ran a 4.4 and some have noted he pulled up lame on the run. He's blazing fast. And he looks on film to play even faster. We'll all look back on this pick and realize how blessed he was injured last year and fell into our laps. The other available CBs do not compare to his talent and potential.

2. Davon House - CB - New Mexico St - 6'1" - 200lbs

Back to back CBs is right up Mike Tomlin's ally. Just like drafting Timmons and Woodley. We've got problems in the defensive backfield. And nothing would help our defensive pressure more than having 2 big, physical corners who can press, cover, and tackle. Dowling and House could potentially lock down the whole field and make our blitzing LBs even more dynamic.

3. Joseph Barksdale - LT - LSU - 6'5" - 315lbs

This guy has the size, athleticism, and strength to play LT and the upside to be nearly as good as any linemen in this draft when his game fully develops. He was a defensive tackle recruit at LSU that they turned into a OLineman. So he really is less experienced in the position than many others and the right coaching could turn him into a great prospect. He'll have the luxury of time to develop in Pittsburgh behind Max, Hotel, and Scott and could even potentially compete for a guard spot in the short term.

4. Cortez Allen - CB - Citadel - 6'1" - 197lbs

The trifecta of CBs is in the draft cards. Let's face it, we need 2 potential starters out of this draft. So picking 3 guys makes a lot of sense to me. And we tend to like the big physical corners in our system. Dowling, House, and Allen have a lot of similarities. Losing Ike may not hurt all that bad if it happens.

5. Dion Lewis - RB - Pitt - 5'8" - 195lbs

Gotta keep a homer pick in every mock just because. But with Dion, it's a solid pickup in the 5th round. He's a gamer. I could care less that his combine 40 was slow or that he's small. He's a big little man and a tough and elusive runner. This kid is gonna be a steal and he'll keep Mendy's wheels from falling off any time soon.

6. Alex Henery - K/P - Nebraska - Kicker size

Big, strong, accurate leg that kills 2 birds with one stone. And you just can't afford to overlook the kicking accuracy this team needs. Our defense and a good kicker will keep us in every contest. And Ben will get us over the hump at the end. This is a no brainer to me. We need Alex.

7. David Carter - DE - UCLA - 6'5" - 300lbs

Can't end the mock without grabbing a DE. Carter didn't put together the best season, but he's improving and played/practiced well in the East West shrine game according to many. He's got the build/size and athleticism to fit the Smith/Keisel prototype. No DE's gonna see the field in their first year in our system anyway, so why not take a gamble here instead of using a top pick? I have a feeling Carter's game is going to get better in time and we've got a great DLine coach and vets to help get him there.

insanesteelersfan
04-24-2011, 01:20 AM
I'm finally done with looking at tons of college games and youtube highlights of prospects in this year's draft and am finally ready for my final picks.

Here goes:

We've got to assume at this point Ike is gone and CB is our biggest need. And here's a guy that's a sure fire 1st rounder if not for an injury plagued season. He's big, physical, can blanket WRs, and plays the ball like a WR. He ran a 4.4 and some have noted he pulled up lame on the run. He's blazing fast. And he looks on film to play even faster. We'll all look back on this pick and realize how blessed he was injured last year and fell into our laps. The other available CBs do not compare to his talent and potential.

Back to back CBs is right up Mike Tomlin's ally. Just like drafting Timmons and Woodley. We've got problems in the defensive backfield. And nothing would help our defensive pressure more than having 2 big, physical corners who can press, cover, and tackle. Dowling and House could potentially lock down the whole field and make our blitzing LBs even more dynamic.

This guy has the size, athleticism, and strength to play LT and the upside to be nearly as good as any linemen in this draft when his game fully develops. He was a defensive tackle recruit at LSU that they turned into a OLineman. So he really is less experienced in the position than many others and the right coaching could turn him into a great prospect. He'll have the luxury of time to develop in Pittsburgh behind Max, Hotel, and Scott and could even potentially compete for a guard spot in the short term.

The trifecta of CBs is in the draft cards. Let's face it, we need 2 potential starters out of this draft. So picking 3 guys makes a lot of sense to me. And we tend to like the big physical corners in our system. Dowling, House, and Allen have a lot of similarities. Losing Ike may not hurt all that bad if it happens.

Gotta keep a homer pick in every mock just because. But with Dion, it's a solid pickup in the 5th round. He's a gamer. I could care less that his combine 40 was slow or that he's small. He's a big little man and a tough and elusive runner. This kid is gonna be a steal and he'll keep Mendy's wheels from falling off any time soon.

Big, strong, accurate leg that kills 2 birds with one stone. And you just can't afford to overlook the kicking accuracy this team needs. Our defense and a good kicker will keep us in every contest. And Ben will get us over the hump at the end. This is a no brainer to me. We need Alex.

Can't end the mock without grabbing a DE. Carter didn't put together the best season, but he's improving and played/practiced well in the East West shrine game according to many. He's got the build/size and athleticism to fit the Smith/Keisel prototype. No DE's gonna see the field in their first year in our system anyway, so why not take a gamble here instead of using a top pick? I have a feeling Carter's game is going to get better in time and we've got a great DLine coach and vets to help get him there.

Flippy, your mock is as Crazy as you look :lol: .....Just kidding. But seriously. You have some serious CB issues. To say we'll take 3 CB's in this draft is to say that young guys K.Lewis and Butler are crap. Dowling is a possibility. But not likely at 31. More like Pittsburgh would deal down into round 2, get a couple of more picks and select him there.
Also, no way the Steelers don't draft D-Line help early on in this draft. Aaron Smith is older, and breaks down alot. And Brent the Beard also is questionable health wise sometimes. The steelers I think are targeting Kenrick Ellis at 63. And depending on who's there at 31, they might also take a DE like Hayward, or Wilkerson. But I doubt he falls that far. They also must have a Tackle, and D.Sherrod is a possibility. Even though I have my doubts about how physical he plays. Barksdale is a good selection. But I feel he will be available in round 4. C.Allen is also a good developmental selection. But he is a 5th, and more likely a 6th round pick. Also with El probably not returning, no way the Steelers don't take a WR this draft. And it might come in round 3, or 4. A.Pettis, and Vincent Brown are two realistic targets.

I think it will be more like.....

31: trade down with SF, who will want to get a QB late in round 1. We will get picks 45, 108, 141, 174. Then at 45 target either Ras I Dowling, or a OL like Ben Ijalana, who is rising. Or M.Cannon

63: K.Ellis ( Gotta have a Big Ugly, and this guy is a killer )

95: If they take a OL, then they might target Johnny Patrick the CB. If they take Dowling, then a OL like Carpenter, who could last here.

108: From SF,,,,,This is where they could grab an additional OL like Barksdale. A guy who could play T or G and make Essex expendable.

128: WR Austin Pettis would be a nice grab here.

141: from SF,,,,This could be where the steelers look to grab a situational 3rd down RB...Derrick Locke. A small, but super quick 3rd down RB who is the best at catching the ball out of the backfield.

162: K Alex Henery. Best time to grab the best Kicker in the nation.

174: from SF,,,,Here would be the place to put Cortez Allen. And I agree.

196: We need to groom a FS to replace Ryan Clark. And Mark Legree, the Div-1 active Interception leader I think will appeal to the Steelers.

232: Weslye Saunders, TE. The Steelers need another TE for when Matt Spaeth...HOPEFULLY is released. Saunders had some Character concerns. But in 2009 he was regarded a top TE prospect. He is great at catching the ball in short areas, and has the size and strength to be a asset in Blocking.

But Flippy, my mock is no less INSANE then yours, or anyone elses. This was just my own :2c

NJ-STEELER
04-24-2011, 01:21 AM
i like it.

maybe a bit more if you went FS instead of 3rd corner, but they could always kick one of them to FS

flippy
04-24-2011, 01:49 AM
I was thinking DLine early and often was the way to go. I think ILB and FS are other areas we could target. I'd even look at a pass catching TE and a big WR. And I'd like to add another G/T.

But I'd need at least double the picks to get everything I want. There's only so much you can do in a draft, so we're eventually gonna have to consider what we can get in FA. This year is especially hard to predict because we have no ideas which FAs will leave and which we'll sign.

Overall there just weren't enough picks. And whichever way we go, we'll have to backfill through FA. And with CB being such a big need and so many there in rounds 2-4 to consider, I got in my head that Tomlin/Colbert may go DB heavy like they did picking 2 LBs back to back several years back and shortly after picking 3 LBs in a draft.

And with Dowling, I know many are projecting him to the 2nd round, but when you look at his college career, he's just too talented to pass up imho. I considered a couple of DLineman and DBs at 31, but in the end, see Dowling as having significantly more talent than any of them. I feel like this would be similar to us drafting Heath Miller.

But I'd be totally ok if we could trade back and get some more picks in rounds 2-4 where I see a ton of talent that could really help us. If we could get an extra 2 picks, I'd try to add a NT and DE.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-24-2011, 04:29 AM
it's a very interesting mock. i don't think i've seen anybody predict back to back CB's in rounds 1 and 2, and yet i believe it is highly possible. just as possible as the year we selected timmons and woodley. i personally believe dowling and house are the top two "steeler type" corners in our range of the draft. why not grab them both? i actually would not mind those first two picks. rounds 3-7 i disagree with. lol.

buckeyehoppy
04-24-2011, 02:02 PM

Here goes:

Your first pick notwithstanding (excellent choice), we are NOT drafting 3 CBs with our first four picks. That's throwing the baby out with the bath water. Lewis and Butler need to be looked at with Lake being the new DB coach. He might get something out of them that Horton couldn't (not difficult to imagine that).

We will also need to take Henery with our 4th if we are going to get him at all. That is also assuming that he isn't already gone when we come up in the 4th. That also assumes that K is a high enough priority to go with Henery in the 4th. That might not be a stretch. After all, Seppy was a 4th... and he can't kick FGs as far as we know.

Oviedo
04-24-2011, 05:27 PM
But seriously. You have some serious CB issues. To say we'll take 3 CB's in this draft is to say that young guys K.Lewis and Butler are crap.

Given that they had a bum like Anthony Madison playing in front of them, I think you may well have to say Lewis and Butler are crap. Madison can't cover a bed with a blanket.

Getting two DBs early would not be a bad choice given we have no idea what will happen with Ike or Gay in free agency. Also, can we really count on Bmac for more than one more year?

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2011, 06:04 PM
Given that they had a bum like Anthony Madison playing in front of them, I think you may well have to say Lewis and Butler are crap. Madison can't cover a bed with a blanket.

I'm willing to give Crezdon Butler the benefit of the doubt for next season, but Keenan Lewis regressed badly last year. what does that say about you when the Steelers coaches think Anthony Madison is the better option?

StarSpangledSteeler
04-24-2011, 06:19 PM
Two solid CB's is no longer adequate in today's NFL. Against the premiere offenses, you need 3 "cover guys" and 2 "slot/dime" guys. We could draft 2 CB's in rounds 1 and 2 and still be under-manned. It's not a matter of overhauling or giving up on lesser talent. It's a matter of adding talent. Bringing in guys who can run with Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Jones, and McMichael. Or Welker, Tate, Branch, Gronkowski, and Hernandez. (plus whoever they add this year). Good QB's don't attack Ike Taylor. They go after Gay and Madison. We could very well draft 3 CB's this year. Just like 3 LB's last year.

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2011, 06:38 PM
Two solid CB's is no longer adequate in today's NFL. Against the premiere offenses, you need 3 "cover guys" and 2 "slot/dime" guys. We could draft 2 CB's in rounds 1 and 2 and still be under-manned. It's not a matter of overhauling or giving up on lesser talent. It's a matter of adding talent. Bringing in guys who can run with Jennings, Nelson, Driver, Jones, and McMichael. Or Welker, Tate, Branch, Gronkowski, and Hernandez. (plus whoever they add this year). Good QB's don't attack Ike Taylor. They go after Gay and Madison. We could very well draft 3 CB's this year. Just like 3 LB's last year.

great post! :Cheers

MeetJoeGreene
04-24-2011, 07:56 PM
Truly a well reasoned mock that merits laud and serious consideration

NJ-STEELER
04-25-2011, 12:11 AM
But seriously. You have some serious CB issues. To say we'll take 3 CB's in this draft is to say that young guys K.Lewis and Butler are crap.

Getting two DBs early would not be a bad choice given we have no idea what will happen with Ike or Gay in free agency. Also, can we really count on Bmac for more than one more year?

it is disheartening that either couldnt make it onto the field in front of madison.

but dont forget that special teams plays a factor too. i'm more concerned with lewis cause he's been here lonmger. if crezdon deosn't see the field in his 2nd year, then we can group them together

NJ-STEELER
04-25-2011, 12:18 AM

good post

if we drafted 3 LBs in last years draft with the likes of harrison woodley and timmons on the roster, i could certainly see 3 being drafted this year (or a saftey as well) to help the seconday. the 2 units aren't close in need and talent levels

ramblinjim
04-25-2011, 11:26 AM
Flippy, of all the mocks that I've seen yours is my favorite. Dowling and House 1-2 would go a long way towards shoring up or secondary. Plus another corner in the 4th or 5th that can learn helps as well. Dowling, House or the kid from Citadel could get kicked to free safety with their size in a couple of years if necessary as well.

ikestops85
04-25-2011, 04:06 PM
Flippy, of all the mocks that I've seen yours is my favorite. Dowling and House 1-2 would go a long way towards shoring up or secondary. Plus another corner in the 4th or 5th that can learn helps as well. Dowling, House or the kid from Citadel could get kicked to free safety with their size in a couple of years if necessary as well.

At first I thought it would be ludicrous taking 3 corners in this draft but the more I think about it the more sense it makes to me. The 3 guys you have selected all have the reputation of being able to go for the ball which is what is missing from our secondary right now (Troy excluded).

Good mock Flippy :Clap

Oviedo
04-25-2011, 04:16 PM

I agree. The problem is our def coord has been and is more intersted in CBs with LB skills who can tackle runners and has not emphasized getting guys who have legit cover skills to shutdown RBs. We have a serious deficit in players with the type of skills to match up against the best teams in this league. Sure we pad our defensive stats by being exceptional against the run but all that means is that playoff caliber teams beat us through the air.

Dom Capers seemed to figure it out pretty quick because he converted a complete defense to a 3-4, brought in good young players (who he actually played) and won a Super Bowl in just two years. It's obviously possible if you don't close your mind to change.

NJ-STEELER
04-25-2011, 04:46 PM
after seeing that article bouchete put out, this could very well be the way we go.

CB was already a weakness and now they're going into the draft thinking ike isnt coming back