PDA

View Full Version : My Final Mock

Shawn
04-23-2011, 10:58 AM
Looking at this draft...I'm stuck picking between three guys for our "first round" pick.

Staying put and landing Aaron Williams, or Cameron Heyward. Or sliding back a few slots and landing Dowling. But, unless someone slides I believe our first pick will be amongst these three. I'm not sure my mock will be the most likely, but it's the one I would be most comfortable seeing come to fruition. I believe Heyward will be gone by 31, probably in the late 20's. I believe both Williams and Dowling will be there. I believe the Steelers will see Dowling as more of a starting premiere DB in the NFL. Therefore the Steelers trade back and grab. I won't go into the details of how the trades will occur as I am much too lazy for that sort of thing but this is how I would like to see it play out.

2) Ras I-Dowling-DB-Virginia
2) Rodney Hudson-OG-FSU-after moving up
3) Chimdi Chekwa-DB OSU
4) Austin Pettis-WR Boise St.
5) Alex Green-RB-Hawaii
6) Alex Henery-K/P-Nebraska
7) Chris Neild-NT WVU
Alternate in round 7 Devon Torrence. I really like Devon...got picked on alot because Chekwa really was a very solid DB for the Buckeyes. But, Devon is underrated and could be a very good nickle back in the NFL.

So there it is...my final mock. Pick apart if you must. :)

Captain Lemming
04-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Here is my "mock"

That is the most moronic prediction I've ever seen!!!!!!

Actually being a Hawaii guy now in Boise......my biased opinion LOVES your picks.

My take however is that you have guys going to us within their projected round. Truth be told, I think these guys go in those same rounds before we can get them.

If we want these guys we have to draft them in the previous round.

Shawn
04-23-2011, 07:19 PM
Here is my "mock"

Actually being a Hawaii guy now in Boise......my biased opinion LOVES your picks.

My take however is that you have guys going to us within their projected round. Truth be told, I think these guys go in those same rounds before we can get them.

You could be right but let me say that

I-Dowling is a high second rounder and Hudson is a mid second rounder by most accounts. I have seen Chekwa anywhere from 3-5 but I suspect his 40 time will push him into the mid-bottom of the third. Walters would agree with you on him. So, you might have a point with Chekwa. But, I'm a Buckeye gotta represent! :) Pettis I believe is a round 4-5 guy...but in Walters was drafted one before us in round 4. I think the most recent I seen of Green was late 5th a few picks before the Steelers...just never know come draft day I suppose. Walters has Henery falling to us in the 6th and the NT from WVU falling to us in the 7th.

buckeyehoppy
04-23-2011, 07:44 PM
Looking at this draft...I'm stuck picking between three guys for our "first round" pick.

Staying put and landing Aaron Williams, or Cameron Heyward. Or sliding back a few slots and landing Dowling. But, unless someone slides I believe our first pick will be amongst these three. I'm not sure my mock will be the most likely, but it's the one I would be most comfortable seeing come to fruition. I believe Heyward will be gone by 31, probably in the late 20's. I believe both Williams and Dowling will be there. I believe the Steelers will see Dowling as more of a starting premiere DB in the NFL. Therefore the Steelers trade back and grab. I won't go into the details of how the trades will occur as I am much too lazy for that sort of thing but this is how I would like to see it play out.

2) Ras I-Dowling-DB-VT
3) Chimdi Chekwa-DB OSU
5) Alex Green-RB-Hawaii
7) Chris Neild-NT WVU
Alternate in round 7 Devon Torrence. I really like Devon...got picked on alot because Chekwa really was a very solid DB for the Buckeyes. But, Devon is underrated and could be a very good nickle back in the NFL.

You've got a lot of love for my Buckeyes here, Shawn. If Heyward was still on the board when we got on the clock, I'd be pleasantly surprised. Needless to say, I like your first pick (see my mock in the NFL Draft forum) altho we'll have to be close to the top of the 2nd Round to get him.

I'm not as enamored with Chekwa as a lot of others. It's not as if he couldn't learn to be a serviceable cover corner in the NFL. But, after watching him at tOSU and watching him get burned by a few too many WRs with equal ability, I'm understandably leery of a pick of him that high. He seems more like Willie Gay in the long run than Rod Woodson.

We won't get Henery in the 6th. Too many teams need kicking help and when you are also capable of punting, he won't be there long on the third day.

If we haven't drafted a NT by the 7th, Neild definitely warrants a look. WVU players always seem to have a requisite nastiness that helps a guy in an NFL career.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2011, 07:46 PM
Here is my "mock"

I-Dowling is a high second rounder and Hudson is a mid second rounder by most accounts. I have seen Chekwa anywhere from 3-5 but I suspect his 40 time will push him into the mid-bottom of the third. Walters would agree with you on him. So, you might have a point with Chekwa. But, I'm a Buckeye gotta represent! :) Pettis I believe is a round 4-5 guy...but in Walters was drafted one before us in round 4. I think the most recent I seen of Green was late 5th a few picks before the Steelers...just never know come draft day I suppose. Walters has Henery falling to us in the 6th and the NT from WVU falling to us in the 7th.

I love your mock but Walter's is wrong about Alex Henery and Chris Neild falling to us in the 6th and 7th...neither one will make it out of the 5th round.

insanesteelersfan
04-23-2011, 08:04 PM
Here is my "mock"

I love your mock but Walter's is wrong about Alex Henery and Chris Neild falling to us in the 6th and 7th...neither one will make it out of the 5th round.

Henery I agree has a chance, a decent chance. Not a great for sure chance, but a decent one of getting drafted in round 5. But Neild, he is purely a late 8th, or early 7th pick. He is a good college overachiever. But too many times against good OL's he was overmatched.
He works hard, and with teaching he might be good. But there are better DL prospects
available in round 5.

Shawn
04-23-2011, 09:16 PM

2) Ras I-Dowling-DB-VT
3) Chimdi Chekwa-DB OSU
5) Alex Green-RB-Hawaii
7) Chris Neild-NT WVU

You've got a lot of love for my Buckeyes here, Shawn. If Heyward was still on the board when we got on the clock, I'd be pleasantly surprised. Needless to say, I like your first pick (see my mock in the NFL Draft forum) altho we'll have to be close to the top of the 2nd Round to get him.

I'm not as enamored with Chekwa as a lot of others. It's not as if he couldn't learn to be a serviceable cover corner in the NFL. But, after watching him at tOSU and watching him get burned by a few too many WRs with equal ability, I'm understandably leery of a pick of him that high. He seems more like Willie Gay in the long run than Rod Woodson.

We won't get Henery in the 6th. Too many teams need kicking help and when you are also capable of punting, he won't be there long on the third day.

If we haven't drafted a NT by the 7th, Neild definitely warrants a look. WVU players always seem to have a requisite nastiness that helps a guy in an NFL career.

Being a Buckeye fan myself, I have seen much of Chekwa. Chekwa is interesting, because he has all the tools to be a great DB in the NFL. He is track fast, moves well in space, is an adequate tackler and is aggressive. The thing is this, I don't think Chekwa getting burnt on occasion was a problem with his tools, it was more a problem with his mental game. That can be coached. He is a project of sorts but I think with some good coaching he could be special.

Va Steelr
04-23-2011, 09:17 PM
I could live with that.I don't think it will shake out that way though,I don't know much about most of these guys except Hudson,Pettis and Dowling.Dowling WILL be a very good player but please.He is from UVA not VT.That is about the worst thing you can say about a UVA player.

Va Steelr
04-23-2011, 09:18 PM
I could live with that.I don't think it will shake out that way though,I don't know much about most of these guys except Hudson,Pettis and Dowling.Dowling WILL be a very good player but please.He is from UVA not VT.That is about the worst thing you can say about a UVA player.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2011, 09:31 PM
But Neild, he is purely a late 8th, or early 7th pick.

a late 8th, huh? I'll bet you there's no way Neild goes as late as the 8th... :D

the last guy we drafted in the 8th round was QB Alex Van Pelt from the University of Pittsburgh...

http://www.sportsmemorabilia.com/image_php_447291.jpg

and Ernie Holmes was a DT we took in the 8th round...

http://bittenandbound.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/01/ernie-holmes-dies-in-car-crash-age-59.jpg

Shawn
04-23-2011, 09:44 PM

lol...my bad.

flippy
04-24-2011, 01:56 AM
good job. the only thing that i'd question is after trading down in the 1st, it seems like we should somehow have an extra pick in there.

steelblood
04-24-2011, 10:15 AM
I would be happy with that haul. Thanks for posting.

buckeyehoppy
04-24-2011, 01:40 PM

2) Ras I-Dowling-DB-VT
3) Chimdi Chekwa-DB OSU
5) Alex Green-RB-Hawaii
7) Chris Neild-NT WVU

Being a Buckeye fan myself, I have seen much of Chekwa. Chekwa is interesting, because he has all the tools to be a great DB in the NFL. He is track fast, moves well in space, is an adequate tackler and is aggressive. The thing is this, I don't think Chekwa getting burnt on occasion was a problem with his tools, it was more a problem with his mental game. That can be coached. He is a project of sorts but I think with some good coaching he could be special.

I can see what you're saying, Shawn. I just don't think we take a player like him with the question marks he has on that second day. Now, that said, if he slides to us in the 4th, hellz yeah we look at him. He at least provides depth and the athletic ability is a definite bonus. I'm pretty sure that we can't afford him to be our first CB of the draft with the uncertainty he brings to the table. If we take Dowling first (as you've advocated), it's at least justifiable. I'd just hope that it would be a 4th Round and not a 3rd Round pick. We'll have to see.

And I didn't mention Torrence, but he'd be a good add as a UDFA (I don't think he'll be drafted). He would be a project. But at his high end, he'd be invaluable in the nickel package.

SteelCrazy
04-24-2011, 01:45 PM
what did you get for trading out of the 1st? You need to make another pick in rd 6 or 7....we got to get something.

Shawn
04-24-2011, 04:50 PM
what did you get for trading out of the 1st? You need to make another pick in rd 6 or 7....we got to get something.

Trading up in the second.

SteelCrazy
04-24-2011, 05:16 PM
oh.....i was too lazy to read

NJ-STEELER
04-25-2011, 04:36 PM
wrong thread