View Full Version : Teams lining up to ink Ike?

PSU_dropout43
04-23-2011, 12:28 AM
Harris: Lining up to ink Ike

He can't catch a cold, much less an interception. His questionable hands are the object of ridicule, but free agent cornerback Ike Taylor could have the last laugh.

New York. Philadelphia. Denver. St. Louis. Arizona. Houston. Those are some of the teams targeting Taylor, whose combination of pass coverage skills and run-forcing ability are difficult to come by.

Other teams such as Baltimore — Baltimore! — Carolina, Washington, Chicago, Cleveland, Detroit and Dallas could also be in play for Taylor, who turns 31 on May 5.

When it comes to the soap opera involving Taylor's NFL future — will he stay or will he go? — it isn't about for whom he'll play in 2011 as much as where he won't play.

"I still say the Giants, but I'm hearing Denver and Houston. St. Louis loves him a lot,'' said Dave-Te' Thomas, who operates Scouting Services Inc. and produces the NFL Draft Report for 27 of the 32 teams. "The Giants have always been high on Taylor. And with his agent's relationship with the Giants, I could see them getting involved."

Taylor is represented by New York-based attorney Joel Segal.

"I see him ending up anywhere but Pittsburgh," Thomas said. "He's in a great situation because it's a bad draft for cornerbacks.''

That's bad news for the Steelers, who because of the lockout will be forced to approach the draft next week assuming Taylor won't be back.

"Teams have to go into this draft with a whole new mindset,'' Thomas said. "If you have a player who's a free agent, you have to consider him (gone).''

The most surprising element about Taylor's foray into free agency isn't that he may not finish his career with the Steelers. Rather, it's why the Steelers permitted Taylor to become an unrestricted free agent.

The Steelers' lack of talent at cornerback behind Taylor — headlined by Bryant McFadden, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Anthony Madison and Crezdon Butler — is well documented. ESPN draft analyst Mel Kiper Jr. this week said the Steelers will have "monumental issues if Taylor isn't there.''

Kiper made no mention of Taylor's 11 career interceptions in eight seasons — with a high of three in 2007. Thomas believes that lack of interceptions is why the Steelers have been reluctant to re-sign Taylor.

"If Taylor had those interceptions, the Steelers would have known they had to sign him, so they're using that as an excuse,'' Thomas said. "I just don't think that Pittsburgh thinks he's worth the money. If he was worth the money, they should have gotten a deal done a long time ago.

"He's made sacrifices. He re-did his contract to help them (Taylor restructured his contract twice so the Steelers could sign linebacker James Harrison and running back Rashard Mendenhall). Ike is a great stepchild for the Steelers. He will do everything the stepfather wants him to do, but the stepfather still feels he's not one of their own. They've seen how many times he's conceded at the contract table and that Ike will concede this time.

"This time, Ike is saying, 'I need my money.' ''

Taylor has been off-limits to the media since February. He told the Tribune-Review during the week of the NFL Scouting Combine he was excited about his pending free agency.

"This is a good time for me to be a free agent," Taylor said. "Teams (have seen) my tape. People are finally paying attention."

Thomas considers Taylor among his greatest success stories. He advised teams prior to the 2003 draft to select Taylor over Louisiana-Lafayette teammate Charles Tillman, who was more highly regarded coming out of college. Tillman was drafted in the second round, two rounds before Taylor. But Taylor has had a better NFL career.

Still, Thomas didn't hesitate to criticize Taylor's hands, which are the weakest part of his game.

"Even though I discovered Ike, I'm not going to play favorites,'' Thomas said. "I've got to call it like it is. He knows what his weaknesses are, so he concentrates on his strengths.''

Those strengths have teams lining up to sign Taylor, who has never missed a game because of injury.

In Baltimore, owner Steve Bisciotti told reporters during his end-of-the-season news conference that the Ravens pattern themselves after the Steelers. What better way to emulate Baltimore's top rival in the AFC North than to sign Taylor, who would fill a need at cornerback while also weakening the Steelers?

"They have those two Super Bowl trophies in the last five years, so they have the confidence,'' Bisciotti said of the Steelers. "We're trying to be there, and we're close. When we get there, we're going to be more confident.''

If the thought of Taylor signing with the hated Ravens raises the hair on the back of your neck, so should the Steelers' unexplained willingness to allow Taylor to become an unrestricted free agent.

Read more: Harris: Lining up to ink Ike - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1KJjVZmXC (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_733649.html#ixzz1KJjVZmXC)

D Rock
04-23-2011, 02:34 AM
Taylor wont leave, he's Rooney's favorite child.

He's a Steeler for life, unless he tries to outplay his career like so many do.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-23-2011, 08:15 AM
If Ike leaves, and the Steelers head into the season with BMac, Gay, Butler, and some draft picks rounds 2 to 7.....they are gonna get thrown all over. None of the aforementioned CB's can lock down half the field like Ike does, which allows the S to cheat a little to the other side to help the lesser CB's.

Shawn
04-23-2011, 10:14 AM
Personally, I think the odds of Taylor leaving via FA are at about 60-70%. Are the Steelers willing to pay him 10 million/yr over 4-5 seasons? At 31 yo? They should, but I'm not sure that they will. And that will be his market value.

If the Steelers truly wanted to sign Ike, they would have protected him. They would have tried to sign him before now. I believe the Steelers are allowing him to smell the market so they are not the "bad guys" when he leaves on his own. They will make an offer no doubt...probably in the tune of 6-7 million/yr for 4 seasons. Will Ike take it? Doubt it. When you are talking about making 15 million+ more, most people will walk.

Ultimately, if the Steelers allow Ike to walk, it will be a Woodson like mistake. While Woodson was the better player, there is no doubt in my mind that Ike is just as valuable to our team.

steelblood
04-23-2011, 10:26 AM
ike isn't the only FA corner. it will be an interesting truncated offseason - whenever it begins.

Chadman
04-23-2011, 10:56 AM
Ike is good- but he's not outstanding as some might want you to believe.

Shawn is going the overly dramatic route by calling it up there with a Rod Woodson-like mistake to lose Ike.. :D

Taylor is the best CB the Steelers have, but he still has a lot of holes in his game for someone we want to consider close to 'elite' in his position.

If Ike goes, the Steelers will likely add a FA to fill the void- Carlos Rogers anyone? Rogers is Ike- but with the Redskins front 7 instead of the Steelers. Imagine what he'd do with the Steelers front 7 to help him out?

Shawn
04-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Ike is good- but he's not outstanding as some might want you to believe.

Shawn is going the overly dramatic route by calling it up there with a Rod Woodson-like mistake to lose Ike.. :D

Taylor is the best CB the Steelers have, but he still has a lot of holes in his game for someone we want to consider close to 'elite' in his position.

If Ike goes, the Steelers will likely add a FA to fill the void- Carlos Rogers anyone? Rogers is Ike- but with the Redskins front 7 instead of the Steelers. Imagine what he'd do with the Steelers front 7 to help him out?

:lol:

You know me and my drama. :)

Seriously though I'm not saying Ike's skill set is anything like Woodson's. But, I am saying Ike might be even more valuable to this teams ability to win a SB next season (if there is a season). While Ike may not be elite in hands, everything else about his game is shut down and elite. He is not going to change a game for you with his playmaking ability. He will just quietly shut down a teams best WR all game long. How much is that worth to a team not in Pittsburgh? If he signs for less than 8-9 million per season I would be shocked. He could get in the ball park of 10 million per. Will the Steelers pay that? I doubt it.

Chadman
04-23-2011, 11:08 AM
:D

You all do realise Ike is a part of that DB backfield that gets passed on without trouble by teams like the Patriots?

Remember Ike against Seattle in the SB? Sure- he got that INT, but he was picked apart by Hasselback to Jackson on those dreaded underneath routes.

And Chadman guesses, he still could be, if the Steelers didn't struggle so bad on the other side of the field.

Shawn
04-23-2011, 11:12 AM
:D

You all do realise Ike is a part of that DB backfield that gets passed on without trouble by teams like the Patriots?

Remember Ike against Seattle in the SB? Sure- he got that INT, but he was picked apart by Hasselback to Jackson on those dreaded underneath routes.

And Chadman guesses, he still could be, if the Steelers didn't struggle so bad on the other side of the field.

I try not to take one game to analyze a players ability. The bulk of Taylors work states he is about as shut down as shut down gets. He is certainly part of a poor secondary but so is Troy. I think what that tells us is Gay and McFadden really are inadequate. We can probably use another FS as well.

Chadman
04-23-2011, 11:17 AM
Ike is good. He's not $10 million a year good- but he's good.

But, in Chadman's opinion, he's also replaceable. Not easily replaceable- but it's in the realms of possibility.

Sign Carlos Rogers. Draft Aaron Williams (and maybe Buster Skrine or Cortez Allen too). In Chadman's opinion- the DB's are upgraded by those moves.

Shawn
04-23-2011, 12:05 PM
Ike is good. He's not $10 million a year good- but he's good.

But, in Chadman's opinion, he's also replaceable. Not easily replaceable- but it's in the realms of possibility.

Sign Carlos Rogers. Draft Aaron Williams (and maybe Buster Skrine or Cortez Allen too). In Chadman's opinion- the DB's are upgraded by those moves.

If we sign Roders and let Ike go, I will be ok with that. I agree Ike isn't a 10 mil per DB. He would need hands to get that value in my mind. I just think the market is going to outprice the Steelers. Hopefully, we can find a solid to good DB in FA.

NJ-STEELER
04-23-2011, 12:16 PM
How much is Rodgers goig to sign for?

He'll probably get just as much as Ike. No?

And he'll also be in demand which means we would have to out bid some team

We really better hope the hometown discount comes into play. If we lose Ike, we're gonna be in trouble

feltdizz
04-23-2011, 01:31 PM
Our pass D will look just like it did last year when we didn't get pressure. Remember 3rd and 12 in the SB? Who got beat? Ike is good but its like Aaron Smith... Really good player for us and when he went down everyone said there was no way we could survive. Hood stepped up and we haven't missed Aaron. We always bounce back and this would be no different. Ike is not a game changer.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-23-2011, 01:53 PM
Taylor wont leave, he's Rooney's favorite child.

He's a Steeler for life, unless he tries to outplay his career like so many do.
You're in denial. The Steelers should have re-upped him a year ago. Now he's going to test the market, and I think it's doubtful the Steelers will come away with his services afterward.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-23-2011, 02:01 PM
How much is Rodgers goig to sign for?

He'll probably get just as much as Ike. No?

And he'll also be in deans which means we would have to out bid some team

We really better hope the hometown discount comes into play. If we lose Ike, we're gonna be in trouble

$$$$
Steelers muffed this one. They could have gotten a decent deal done a year ago.
Now it's going to be very difficult to retain Mr. Taylor. I don't see them getting someone like Rogers either.

You thought the defensive collapses of 2009 were hard to stomach? You'd best brace yourselves for even more intense aerial onslaught by our opponents this season.

NJ-STEELER
04-23-2011, 02:09 PM
Our pass D will look just like it did last year when we didn't get pressure. Remember 3rd and 12 in the SB? Who got beat? Ike is good but its like Aaron Smith... Really good player for us and when he went down everyone said there was no way we could survive. Hood stepped up and we haven't missed Aaron. We always bounce back and this would be no different. Ike is not a game changer.

can you tell me a corner that doesn't get beat? he was right on him on that play anyway, it took a perfect throw from rodgers. its not like he was 3 yards behind him after giving him a 10 yard cushion @ the LOS like we saw with Gay/Nelson..

before we drafted hood, the D did suffer a great deal when aaron got hurt.

do you see any 1st round draft picks backing up Ike? well, hopefully at the draft we try to address that issue, but right now the depth at that position isnt really something to brag about... so ya, "we're pretty phucking far from alright"

pittpete
04-23-2011, 03:18 PM
Some of yas are just a bunch of drama queens. :wink:
Overpaying for an above-average CB, possibly on the decline(notice I said possibly) would be $$$$ well saved.
A big $$$$ CB in a zone based defense scheme is not top priority IMHO.
Bye Ike, you can thank the Steelers for your 3 Superbowl appearances take the $$$ and enjoy the rest of your comfortable life playing for another team

feltdizz
04-23-2011, 03:51 PM
Pete is spot on. We will be alright without Ike. 11 INT's in 8 seasons... That isn't worth $10 mill in our scheme. I'm so glad our FO isn't as dramatic as our fans tend to be. I think our FO is the best in the biz at letting talent go when the money is funny.

Shawn
04-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Overpaying for an above-average CB, possibly on the decline(notice I said possibly) would be $$$$ well saved.
Bye Ike, you can thank the Steelers for your 3 Superbowl appearances take the $$$ and enjoy the rest of your comfortable life playing for another team

With this mentality, we will be forced to always take second place to teams like the Packers, Pats, Saints and Colts.

MaxAMillion
04-23-2011, 05:19 PM

With this mentality, we will be forced to always take second place to teams like the Packers, Pats, Saints and Colts.

No we won't, the Steelers are the team with three Super Bowl appearances in the last 6 seasons. None of the other teams have that record over the same time period. It has been the Steeler defense that has led them each time. Yes, they struggled against Rodgers and Brady. Well Brady threw 36 TD passes which means he threw on everyone. Rodgers went 31-35 against the Falcons (a top ten defense themselves).

We would have won another title last year if the offense were better. Upgrading the offense in a passing league is every bit as important as upgrading the corner position. We won't win another Super Bowl if the offense plays every season like they did in last year's playoffs.

feltdizz
04-23-2011, 05:51 PM

We had 3 TO's against the Pack and still had a chance to win. We had the Saints on the ropes until Heath fumbled. Pats have our D figurerd out so I will give you that one.

The Colts??? LOL Suspect as hell and Peyton looks to be a shell of his former self.

Now I know its frustrating watching us lose those games to the best QB's in the game right now but that is 3 or 4 out of 31. I like our chances.

R 3 SB appearances in 6 years and Ike is the glue to it all? Hardly. The reason we our so good is because our FO doesn't overpay and they know what runs this team. Ben, the LB's and a healthy Troy.

insanesteelersfan
04-23-2011, 07:07 PM
Ike will at best get 6, Yrs for maybe 40-43 million, with a 10 million bonus at best. Anyone thinking he will get anymore is just looney. It's twice what he got last time. And he;s not anywhere close to being a top-10 DB in this league.

Shawn
04-23-2011, 07:22 PM

We had 3 TO's against the Pack and still had a chance to win. We had the Saints on the ropes until Heath fumbled. Pats have our D figurerd out so I will give you that one.

The Colts??? LOL Suspect as hell and Peyton looks to be a shell of his former self.

Now I know its frustrating watching us lose those games to the best QB's in the game right now but that is 3 or 4 out of 31. I like our chances.

R 3 SB appearances in 6 years and Ike is the glue to it all? Hardly. The reason we our so good is because our FO doesn't overpay and they know what runs this team. Ben, the LB's and a healthy Troy.

The point is we lost to the Saints, Pats and the Packers...and they all passed on us at will. Say what you wish about how that happened but I can't imagine Taylor leaving is going to make that any better for us. We lose Ike and we are a lesser team no matter how you slice it.

hawaiiansteel
04-23-2011, 07:42 PM
Ike will at best get 6, Yrs for maybe 40-43 million, with a 10 million bonus at best. Anyone thinking he will get anymore is just looney. It's twice what he got last time. And he;s not anywhere close to being a top-10 DB in this league.

the Oakland Raiders recently signed CB Stanford Routt to a three year contract worth $31.5 million. unfortunately, it only takes one looney owner like Al Davis or Daniel Snyder to offer Ike a huge contract and he will be as good as gone because the Steelers won't match a ridiculous offer like what Stanford Routt got.

feltdizz
04-23-2011, 11:47 PM

The point is we lost to the Saints, Pats and the Packers...and they all passed on us at will. Say what you wish about how that happened but I can't imagine Taylor leaving is going to make that any better for us. We lose Ike and we are a lesser team no matter how you slice it.

If they passed on us at will with Ike why would we pay top dollar to keep Ike?

I don't think losing Ike will make us better... but it won't make us the laughing stock of the league.

Shawn
04-24-2011, 01:47 AM
Losing Ike certainly won't make us a laughing stock. It just won't improve our odds of winning a SB. Losing Ike only comes second to losing Ben or Troy.

Teams passed at will not because of Ike but because we lack anyone besides him who can cover.

Are you ok with Gay and McFadden as our starters next season?

NJ-STEELER
04-24-2011, 01:49 AM

you can change those 3 turnovers to zero and if the pack wide receivers caught half the balls they dropped with our secondary leaving them wide open, we would have lost by 20

Steelgal
04-24-2011, 10:54 AM
Losing Ike certainly won't make us a laughing stock. It just won't improve our odds of winning a SB. Losing Ike only comes second to losing Ben or Troy.

Teams passed at will not because of Ike but because we lack anyone besides him who can cover.

Definately not okay with those starters.

Agreed on everything you said about Ike. Just because he doesn't have alot of interceptions, doesn't mean he hasn't been a great corner for us. This will be a huge loss IMO if he goes elsewhere.....

feltdizz
04-24-2011, 01:33 PM

Ike is right behind Ben and Troy? Talk about being dramatic! Lay off the drugs!

If Ike was 3rd on our list he would be locked up. Our

Am I OK with McFadden and Gay if it saves a ton of money? Yes. Will our pass D improve? I seriously doubt it in the short term but then again... How many people predicted 3-1 without Ben?

DL will turn up the pressure and we will find ways to mask Ike's loss.

feltdizz
04-24-2011, 01:46 PM

you can change those 3 turnovers to zero and if the pack wide receivers caught half the balls they dropped with our secondary leaving them wide open, we would have lost by 20

I will admit, I haven't been able to rewatch the SB but knowing Rodgers I'm pretty sure he didn't avoid Ike when dismantling our secondary. Our D is all about pressure and when we don't get it all of our DB's get beat including Ike.

Ike has great speed but his ball skills are the reason he isn't worth 10 mill a year. I don't see anything special about a CB who is there but can't locate the ball.

We can win 10 to 11 games without Ike this year and hopefully draft a guy who will be ready next year or go with a youngster.

We are the best in the biz at replacing expensive talent. Every 2 years fans say "if we lose so and so its over" yet time and time again the FO proves them wrong.

We will be fine.

birtikidis
04-24-2011, 07:20 PM

wouldn't that make Ike third not second? lol
i see the level of importance like this
Ben
Troy
Jimmy
Casey
Lamarr
Pouncey
Max
Ike

Shawn
04-24-2011, 08:20 PM

Ben
Troy
Jimmy
Casey
Lamarr
Pouncey
Max
Ike

Birt is a hoot hoot funny guy :)

We can agree to disagree but we have lost Casey and played Hoke without missing a beat. We went to the SB without Max. Pouncey's importance is certainly right up there with Ike's. I have no idea who Jimmy is but if you are referring to James Farrior, I would have to ask you if you are joking. Farrior retiring would be a much welcome event in my mind.

Shawn
04-24-2011, 08:25 PM

Am I OK with McFadden and Gay if it saves a ton of money? Yes. Will our pass D improve? I seriously doubt it in the short term but then again... How many people predicted 3-1 without Ben?

No need to be insulting. We are just discussing football.

I would love to know who you believe is more important than Ike.

The only two guys who even have a remote chance of entering into this debate are Harrison and Pouncey.

No one can adequately replace Ike.

And I'm glad 10-11 games and no SB are ok by you...and that constitutes "fine". It's not fine by me to just get to the playoffs. And if you believe this team can win a SB with McFadden and Gay as our starting corners...it's not me who we need to be concerned about.

Chadman
04-24-2011, 08:41 PM
Steelers rarely lose a player they want to keep.

If Ike is 'allowed' to leave, chances are the Steelers have a plan hatched somewhere to keep the machine rolling.

Bill Cowher has a saying that Chadman loved- and one we constantly forget- "You are never as good as you think you are, and never as bad as they say you are".

Is Ike good? Sure- absolutely.

Are McFadden & Gay the worst CB's in the NFL? No- no they are not.

Passing stats against the Steelers will be exaggerated simply because teams CAN'T run on them.

As for a list of players above Ike-
Ben
Troy
Harrison
Hampton (don't be fooled Shawn- the Steelers will be run on if Casey's out for an extended period)
Ward/Wallace

Then Ike.

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2011, 09:28 PM
I have no idea who Jimmy is but if you are referring to James Farrior, I would have to ask you if you are joking.

I'm pretty sure he was referring to Jimmy Hate...

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_dAd_RHGzUx0/TGH3PJjZbyI/AAAAAAAABnw/9LYg7cZwV0I/s1600/James_Harrison.jpg

NJ-STEELER
04-24-2011, 11:58 PM

I will admit, I haven't been able to rewatch the SB but knowing Rodgers I'm pretty sure he didn't avoid Ike when dismantling our secondary. Our D is all about pressure and when we don't get it all of our DB's get beat including Ike.

Ike has great speed but his ball skills are the reason he isn't worth 10 mill a year. I don't see anything special about a CB who is there but can't locate the ball.

We can win 10 to 11 games without Ike this year and hopefully draft a guy who will be ready next year or go with a youngster.

We are the best in the biz at replacing expensive talent. Every 2 years fans say "if we lose so and so its over" yet time and time again the FO proves them wrong.

We will be fine.

i havent rewatched it yet either, but just going by memory (no alcohol was consumed wathing the game) ike was on their best receiver mostly... G jennings.

jennings caught 4 passes. at least 1 was against a zone where he caught the ball between clark, troy and the LB underneath for a TD.

jordy nelson (usually their 3rd receiver) had IIRC 10 catches,along with at least 2 drops. so when driver went out, a sub of theirs got the most looks against either our other starting QB or our 1st guy to replace him (faddy/gay).

he was targeted close to 3 times as much as their best receiver....if thats not mostly avoiding Ike....what is??
they chose to go away from their best WR option to exploit a match up

feltdizz
04-25-2011, 08:49 AM

No need to be insulting. We are just discussing football.

I would love to know who you believe is more important than Ike.

The only two guys who even have a remote chance of entering into this debate are Harrison and Pouncey.

No one can adequately replace Ike.

And I'm glad 10-11 games and no SB are ok by you...and that constitutes "fine". It's not fine by me to just get to the playoffs. And if you believe this team can win a SB with McFadden and Gay as our starting corners...it's not me who we need to be concerned about.

I was joking...

Ben
Troy
Harrison
Woodley
Timmons
Casey
Wallace
Pouncey
Mendenhall

are all above Ike. IMO.

I like Ike.... but I don't think he is a cornerstone of our D.
The majority of those players are younger than Ike and Casey is the most important piece to our 3-4. Given Aaron Smith's injuries I would put Hood above Ike as well.

One other thing... when did I say 10 or 11 wins and no SB?

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-25-2011, 09:14 AM
I think Ike has a special bond with DL and I also think the Steelers will reward Ike for working with them through the years to re-do his deal. Remember, Ike & Cowher had an "issue" and DL was the one who set Ike right and made him the man that Cowher put all him faith back in. I think there has been a handshake/nod deal that went on and the Steelers are waiting for the new CBA. I think that says it all when they left IKE unprotected given what the Steelers secondary looks like. He might take a small discount to stay but unless the Steelers offer is an insult, I don't expect Ike to look to hard in FA if at all. Ike and his agent talking about will only help Ike and it really is "good business" for Ike to ride the ride. They know what they have and Ike hasn't shown any signs of regression. The interest in Ike is not a surprise, we have seen him play. The surprise would be if he didn't sign another deal to remain a Steeler. That's my take.

Chadman
04-25-2011, 09:49 AM
I think Ike has a special bond with DL and I also think the Steelers will reward Ike for working with them through the years to re-do his deal. Remember, Ike & Cowher had an "issue" and DL was the one who set Ike right and made him the man that Cowher put all him faith back in. I think there has been a handshake/nod deal that went on and the Steelers are waiting for the new CBA. I think that says it all when they left IKE unprotected given what the Steelers secondary looks like. He might take a small discount to stay but unless the Steelers offer is an insult, I don't expect Ike to look to hard in FA if at all. Ike and his agent talking about will only help Ike and it really is "good business" for Ike to ride the ride. They know what they have and Ike hasn't shown any signs of regression. The interest in Ike is not a surprise, we have seen him play. The surprise would be if he didn't sign another deal to remain a Steeler. That's my take.
This is most likely the $ post.

steelz09
04-25-2011, 10:39 AM
I don't know but if Ike is one of the top corners in the league then perhaps we can trade swap our 1st rounder with another team and give them Ike for Peterson from LSU? :)

Oviedo
04-25-2011, 10:49 AM
No Ike = 8-8 record in 2011.

Our other CBs are garbage who were drafted more for their tackling abilities than their cover abilities. Not sure that makes alot of sense in a league that every year emphasizes the passing game more and more.

It is compunded by the fact that our defensive staff has developed one decent CB in the past 5-6 years.

IMO we have serious issues that I hope can be addressed this draft and we actually let this young talent develop on the field.

feltdizz
04-25-2011, 11:14 AM
No Ike = 8-8 record in 2011.

Our other CBs are garbage who were drafted more for their tackling abilities than their cover abilities. Not sure that makes alot of sense in a league that every year emphasizes the passing game more and more.

It is compunded by the fact that our defensive staff has developed one decent CB in the past 5-6 years.

IMO we have serious issues that I hope can be addressed this draft and we actually let this young talent develop on the field.

8- :wink: ?

Are we playing Rodgers, Brady, Peyton and Brees 8 times next year?

Now way we lose 8 games due to mediocre corners with our schedule next year. Now if we turn the ball over 3 times every game and look like clowns on offense for 5 games then maybe... but if our O actually does what it should there is no way we lose 8 games due to McFadden and Gay.

We lost 7 games with Ike in 2009 so anything is possible but we were coming off a SB win and looked like we had no fight left.

feltdizz
04-25-2011, 11:16 AM
This is most likely the $ post.

Probably, but like you said... we don't let people go when we need them. If Ike leaves I'm sure the FO knows something we don't. That something is probably knowing Ike is not worth $10 mill a year in our scheme.

ikestops85
04-25-2011, 12:01 PM
While Ike is generally a good CB some of you seem to have forgotten that he was horrible in 2006 and 2009. He is by far the best CB we have on our team but he is not irreplaceable. It will hurt to lose Ike if we don't find someone like Rogers to replace him but the Steelers always seem to have someone step up.

Once again the key to our defense is pressure, pressure, pressure. When we don't get that our secondary gets picked apart ... with or without Ike. If you think losing Ike will be a traumatic experience just focus on Steve Johnson wide open in the end zone with Ike trailing ten yards behind.

feltdizz
04-25-2011, 12:25 PM
While Ike is generally a good CB some of you seem to have forgotten that he was horrible in 2006 and 2009. He is by far the best CB we have on our team but he is not irreplaceable. It will hurt to lose Ike if we don't find someone like Rogers to replace him but the Steelers always seem to have someone step up.

Once again the key to our defense is pressure, pressure, pressure. When we don't get that our secondary gets picked apart ... with or without Ike. If you think losing Ike will be a traumatic experience just focus on Steve Johnson wide open in the end zone with Ike trailing ten yards behind.

fans are terrified of the unknown... we were supposed to go 0-4 without Ben and be unstoppable on offense once he returned. Neither were true.

birtikidis
04-25-2011, 12:52 PM

Ben
Troy
Jimmy
Casey
Lamarr
Pouncey
Max
Ike

Birt is a hoot hoot funny guy :)

We can agree to disagree but we have lost Casey and played Hoke without missing a beat. We went to the SB without Max. Pouncey's importance is certainly right up there with Ike's. I have no idea who Jimmy is but if you are referring to James Farrior, I would have to ask you if you are joking. Farrior retiring would be a much welcome event in my mind.
How many years ago was it when we lost casey? 6? yea.. it was ben's rookie season i believe.. big difference now! Jimmy hate bud Jimmy hate. as in Harrison. And Pouncey is up there for a reason.. remember how bad we were before him? and guess what.. the guys that replaced Max were all terrible. Don't try and tell me you were happy at all with Scott playing there.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-25-2011, 01:22 PM
Whatever the order of Ike's importance is to the Steelers, one thing I will guarantee........

If Ike walks, there will be a list of teams lining up to sign him. Which brings us back to our original idea on this thread.

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2011, 01:27 PM
Whatever the order of Ike's importance is to the Steelers, one thing I will guarantee........

If Ike walks, there will be a list of teams lining up to sign him. Which brings us back to our original idea on this thread.

Way to circle us back to the original intent, t.o.

"It's like a carousel. You put the quarter in, you get on the horse, it goes up and down, and around. Circular, circle. Feel it. Go with the flow."

"Harness in the good energy, block out the bad. Harness. Energy. Block. Bad."

"Doin' the Bull Dance. Feelin' the flow. Workin' it. Workin' it."

http://static.reelmovienews.com/images/gallery/happy-gilmore-and-gary-potter_138x130.jpg

Oviedo
04-25-2011, 01:52 PM

As bad as he was in 2006 and 2009 any other CB on our roster who you would replace him with would be much worse. We will not sign any FA that approaches his ability even at 2006 and 2009 levels.

We will never always get pressure bacuse when teams put 3-4 WRs out we just can't get to the QB often enough because our CBs will lose coverage.

feltdizz
04-25-2011, 02:14 PM

hmm... I don't really follow reporters but it sure sounds like Harris is Ike's agent. I can see AZ and Houston lining up to sign Ike but I would be shocked if a team like the Giants offers 10 mill for Ike's services.

feltdizz
04-25-2011, 02:22 PM

As bad as he was in 2006 and 2009 any other CB on our roster who you would replace him with would be much worse. We will not sign any FA that approaches his ability even at 2006 and 2009 levels.

We will never always get pressure bacuse when teams put 3-4 WRs out we just can't get to the QB often enough because our CBs will lose coverage.

look at our schedule.

Baltimore, 1 p.m.
Seattle, 1 p.m.
Indianapolis, 8:20 p.m. - Peyton
Houston, 1 p.m.
Tennessee, 1 p.m.
Jacksonville, 1 p.m.
Arizona, 4:05 p.m.
New England, 4:15 p.m. - Brady
Baltimore, 8:20 p.m.
Cincinnati, 1 p.m.
Bye
Kansas City, 8:20 p.m.
Cincinnati , 1 p.m.
Cleveland, 8:20 p.m.
San Francisco, 8:30 p.m.
St. Louis, 1 p.m.
Cleveland, 1 p.m

It will take some creativity for us to have a bad season next year without Ike. There aren't any QB's who can chuck it against us with 4WR's besides Brady and Manning. I wouldn't be surprised if our FO is using our schedule next year as a stepping stone for grooming Ike's replacement. I wouldn't pay Ike 10 Mill to play against those 14 teams...

papillon
04-25-2011, 02:49 PM
You need both, good pressure and good secondary play to limit today's passing offenses with any type of consistency; or you have to have a bad quarterback playing for the opponent. Fortunately, the NFL is littered with teams that have bad quarterbacks or quarterbacks that aren't consistently competent. Unfortunately, come playoff time, you run out of bad quarterbacks and you are playing against the best quarterbacks in the game and it's at that point you need to be able to defend the pass and limit the opponent in the passing game.

The Steelers' defense was one of the best at rushing the quarterback last year (statistically speaking), but how often did we lament the lack of consistent pressure by the front 7 last year? Even against teams in which you would think the front 7 would dominate. The other team lines up and plays and doesn't care if you're James Harrison, Troy Polamalu, etc.

I also believe the Steelers have a plan for CB (based on track record and winning percentage over the past 40 years), so, if Ike walks, he walks and we get to see the plan. If he stays, great, and the plan plays out differently.

We'll see starting Thursday evening...

Pappy

ikestops85
04-25-2011, 03:26 PM

There is a reason our defense usually finishes in the top 5 and it doesn't hinge on Ike. I'm not trying to put Ike down but he was BENCHED in 2006 so Cowher obviously felt we had better CBs on our roster. In 2009 I don't think Ike was any better than Gay was. The only difference was they threw more in Gays direction but if I recall correctly the rate of completions against both were about the same.

I guess what I am saying is while I'd prefer not to have to replace Ike we will remain a good team even if he leaves.

Oviedo
04-25-2011, 04:01 PM
You need both, good pressure and good secondary play to limit today's passing offenses with any type of consistency; or you have to have a bad quarterback playing for the opponent. Fortunately, the NFL is littered with teams that have bad quarterbacks or quarterbacks that aren't consistently competent. Unfortunately, come playoff time, you run out of bad quarterbacks and you are playing against the best quarterbacks in the game and it's at that point you need to be able to defend the pass and limit the opponent in the passing game.

The Steelers' defense was one of the best at rushing the quarterback last year (statistically speaking), but how often did we lament the lack of consistent pressure by the front 7 last year? Even against teams in which you would think the front 7 would dominate. The other team lines up and plays and doesn't care if you're James Harrison, Troy Polamalu, etc.

I also believe the Steelers have a plan for CB (based on track record and winning percentage over the past 40 years), so, if Ike walks, he walks and we get to see the plan. If he stays, great, and the plan plays out differently.

Pappy

My fear is THE PLAN involves two players, Lewis and Butler, who could not get on the field ahead of an absolutley horrible Anthony Madison. If that is THE PLAN, then we have real problems!!!!

feltdizz
04-25-2011, 04:17 PM

Pappy

My fear is THE PLAN involves two players, Lewis and Butler, who could not get on the field ahead of an absolutley horrible Anthony Madison. If that is THE PLAN, then we have real problems!!!!

The plan isn't one we like but it works... Lebeau has a D that takes a few years to master. We kept Tryone Carter just because he knew the D... it damn sure wasn't because he had speed and athleticism.

While we talk and talk about teams spreading us out and carving us up we ended up facing 2 teams who couldn't do that in the playoffs.

As long as we don't have to play the Pats in the playoffs we are fine. That is the one team that Lebeau can't beat. Even though Brees carved us up pretty good we got to him on a blitz and forced a TO. We also were fortunate GB had a few drops but we were able to stop GB and get the ball back with a chance to go ahead before Mendy was drilled.

Shawn
04-25-2011, 07:02 PM

look at our schedule.

Baltimore, 1 p.m.
Seattle, 1 p.m.
Houston, 1 p.m.
Tennessee, 1 p.m.
Jacksonville, 1 p.m.
Cincinnati, 1 p.m.
Bye
Cincinnati , 1 p.m.
St. Louis, 1 p.m.
Cleveland, 1 p.m

It will take some creativity for us to have a bad season next year without Ike. There aren't any QB's who can chuck it against us with 4WR's besides Brady and Manning. I wouldn't be surprised if our FO is using our schedule next year as a stepping stone for grooming Ike's replacement. I wouldn't pay Ike 10 Mill to play against those 14 teams...

No one said bad season. I said no SB. We don't beat the Pats, Saints, Packers, or the Colts without Ike.

MaxAMillion
04-25-2011, 07:21 PM

look at our schedule.

Baltimore, 1 p.m.
Seattle, 1 p.m.
Houston, 1 p.m.
Tennessee, 1 p.m.
Jacksonville, 1 p.m.
Cincinnati, 1 p.m.
Bye
Cincinnati , 1 p.m.
St. Louis, 1 p.m.
Cleveland, 1 p.m

No one said bad season. I said no SB. We don't beat the Pats, Saints, Packers, or the Colts without Ike.a

Part of the problem is that we don't score like those teams. Steeler fans are used to winning 21-17 type games. Well sometimes you need your offense to score and help put pressure on the opposing team. Our offense is not consistent like those other teams. The Steeler defense won't hold those teams to 17 points...but who will? The offense needs to be better as much if not more than the defense. The defense won more games for the Steelers than the offense.

Slapstick
04-25-2011, 07:30 PM
If the Steelers lose Ike, it will suck...

But, if the Steelers pay Ike $10 million per year, it will suck harder...

Ike is a good CB...he isn't a $10 million per year CB...especially at age 31...

I'm curious to see if guys like Lewis and Butler can improve under Carnell Lake...I was never a big Ray Horton fan...

RuthlessBurgher
04-25-2011, 08:13 PM

look at our schedule.

Baltimore, 1 p.m.
Seattle, 1 p.m.
Houston, 1 p.m.
Tennessee, 1 p.m.
Jacksonville, 1 p.m.
Cincinnati, 1 p.m.
Bye
Cincinnati , 1 p.m.
St. Louis, 1 p.m.
Cleveland, 1 p.m

No one said bad season. I said no SB. We don't beat the Pats, Saints, Packers, or the Colts without Ike.a

Part of the problem is that we don't score like those teams. Steeler fans are used to winning 21-17 type games. Well sometimes you need your offense to score and help put pressure on the opposing team. Our offense is not consistent like those other teams. The Steeler defense won't hold those teams to 17 points...but who will? The offense needs to be better as much if not more than the defense. The defense won more games for the Steelers than the offense.

The last time the Steelers scored less than 20 points in the playoffs was in the 2001 AFC Championship game which we lost to New England 24-17 (Kordell Stewart was our QB then). That's 15 straight playoff games in which the Steelers scored at least 20 points.

Meanwhile, the mighty offensive juggernaut Colts failed to score 20 points in their only playoff game this year (one and done). In fact, with Peyton Manning at the helm, the Colts have scored less than 20 points in 10 out of his 19 total playoff games.

NJ-STEELER
04-25-2011, 09:57 PM

look at our schedule.

Baltimore, 1 p.m.
Seattle, 1 p.m.
Houston, 1 p.m.
Tennessee, 1 p.m.
Jacksonville, 1 p.m.
Cincinnati, 1 p.m.
Bye
Cincinnati , 1 p.m.
St. Louis, 1 p.m.
Cleveland, 1 p.m

thats how our team is structured...evidenced by the salary cap structure of the team...... the bigger money is on the defensive side of the ball

and you can say the defense is what holds those teams from ringing up 40 points when we face them (except the pats of course)... and losing Ike will weaken an already weak spot along the defense.

do you want this offense in a shootout ?

birtikidis
04-25-2011, 10:34 PM
guys y'all make it sound like our defense was the only thing that lost us play off games in the past. Don't take into consideration the pick sixes we threw against GB and NE. Take the air out of the offense, get in an early hole and make our offense one dimensional. put on top of that the fact that our O-line isn't built for pass protection you would find that we'd lose a lot of those types of games regardless of who the other teams qb is.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-25-2011, 10:36 PM
While Ike is generally a good CB some of you seem to have forgotten that he was horrible in 2006 and 2009.
???
Those weren't his best seasons, but he was far from "horrible." If you think Ike was "horrible," wait until you see a backfield with McFadden and Gay as the starters.

He is by far the best CB we have on our team but he is not irreplaceable. It will hurt to lose Ike if we don't find someone like Rogers to replace him but the Steelers always seem to have someone step up.
Of course he's not irreplaceable. But unless the Steelers spend big $$$$ (not likely) in free agency, or trade up to get a premier CB in the draft (again, not likely), their backfield this coming season won't be as good as it was this past season. It's that simple.

Sure, bring up the Steve Johnson play...but even the top CB's get beat once in awhile.
How many times was Ike beaten that badly this past season? Not many. I agree that pressure is the key to our defense. But I also know that our D can't get any worse at CB and continue to be as effective as it has been.

Otherwise, we could save some money by bringing DeWayne Washington and Chad Scott out of retirement, and just max blitz all the time.