PDA

View Full Version : Should Steelers Train as Gymnasts?

flippy
04-22-2011, 07:06 AM
I've been watching some of the prefight hype for the next UFC ppv with GSP and Jake Shields. I really like GSP and think he is arguably the most complete pound for pound fighter and he's constantly working hard to expand his game.

To prepare for this fight he's started training with a gymnastics instructor and Georges' trainer was commenting that gymnasts are the best all around athletes in all of sports - from strength to agility to flexibility and on and on. He made the comment that if you take athletes from every sport and had them compete in every other sport that gymnasts would come out on top after averaging out how well they did in all of the sports.

So this got me wondering. Do you buy this? Are gymnasts the best athletes? And if so, could football players benefit from training with gymnasts?

I just found it interesting that GSP is one of the world's best all around athletes and his trainers feel using gymnastics will help him improve and become even better.

Flasteel
04-22-2011, 09:21 AM
I think they should all cross-train with dancing. When Hines Ward tops a 1,000 yards receiving this year, you will see a mad dash by many NFL players to sign up for Dancing With the Stars and many more who flock to local dance studios. We need to be on the cutting edge with this. I say we build our own indoor ballroom right next to the practice field and bring in a bunch of hookers to serve as dance partners in the offseason.

flippy
04-22-2011, 11:09 AM
LOL

Seriously though we've heard stories over the years about how cross training has helped like ballet with Lynn Swann, hip hop dancing with Mendy, etc.

I never thought about gymnastics before. And it seems kinda sissy like on the surface. But if it's truly making GSP a better athlete, I'd say it's worth considering.

Not sure if yinz follow the UFC or not. But GSP is arguably the best athlete in that sport. And when you have athletic freaks in any sport GSP in the UFC, Troy in the NFL, etc, it makes me wonder if others could benefit from their sometimes strange/unorthodox training programs.

Granted, if every guy in the league trained like Troy for example, they aren't gonna perform like Troy. And maybe the individual is so athletically gifted it doesn't matter how he trains, he'd be just as good no matter what.

But you do have to consider there is some value in the training programs when these freaks get better as a result. Would it help other guys? Maybe a little? Probably not as much. But it's always worth looking for any edge you can get.

Besides, hookers would just make the guys lazy :)

Oviedo
04-22-2011, 11:13 AM
The problem with gymnastics is that most football players are just too big. Gymnasts, even the men, are just small. It is all about basic physics and arm-moment relationships. All the events a male gymnasts does would be just about impossible for a football players to do because of size.

I think that some of the flexibility excercises and routines would be valuable but body type wise football players are just different.

flippy
04-22-2011, 11:15 AM
The problem with gymnastics is that most football players are just too big. Gymnasts, even the men, are just small. It is all about basic physics and arm-moment relationships. All the events a male gymnasts does would be just about impossible for a football players to do because of size.

I think that some of the flexibility excercises and routines would be valuable but body type wise football players are just different.

I wasn't picturing Casey being all that graceful on the rings :)

Good point.

Maybe it would help the skill guys more than the big uglies.

RuthlessBurgher
04-22-2011, 12:33 PM

I wasn't picturing Casey being all that graceful on the rings :)

Good point.

Maybe it would help the skill guys more than the big uglies.

It would be like the Weensie doing the vault at the end of Old School.

http://www.inpapasbasement.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Weensie_Old_School.jpg

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2011, 11:20 PM
introduce getting tackled by 330 LB guy or getting hit while skating 30 miles an hour and i think gymnasts start to fall down that scale a little bit.

those uneven parrelel bars dont hit back

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2011, 11:21 PM
oh and doesnt troy already incorporate some of that similar type of training

Captain Lemming
04-23-2011, 12:23 AM
I think they should all cross-train with dancing. When Hines Ward tops a 1,000 yards receiving this year, you will see a mad dash by many NFL players to sign up for Dancing With the Stars and many more who flock to local dance studios.

You soooo beat me to it.

http://www.pittsburghurbanmedia.com/clientfiles/image/hines%20dancing%20with%20stars.bmp

hawaiiansteel
04-24-2011, 07:03 PM
no...

http://famewatcher.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/fabian-hambuechen-with-guy.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
04-24-2011, 09:42 PM
no...

http://famewatcher.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/fabian-hambuechen-with-guy.jpg

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OVnps8UzGdM/S9Gmrw8_mWI/AAAAAAAACsE/gTKK8Nq1ElY/s1600/pouncey-kiss.jpg

:wink:

fordfixerskid
04-25-2011, 12:19 AM
"I [Lynn Swann] was always smaller and younger than the other kids," he remembered. "My game had to be a mental one. I had to outsmart and out quick the other kids and take advantage of mistakes." He later realized that it was that attitude combined with many of the skills he learned from dance and later gymnastics that helped develop "Lynn Swann the athlete."

Source: http://www.profootballhof.com/history/release.aspx?release_id=346

It seemed to work out pretty well for him... :tt1

Mister Pittsburgh
04-25-2011, 06:59 AM
I would say no to gymnastics, but yoga would be beneficial. This would aid in their flexibility and core strength. As we have seen with the transition of heavyweight amateur wrestlers transitioning to offensive and defensive linemen in the NFL, wrestling is also very beneficial to learn to use your opponents movements and momentum against them. Wrestling also teaches good hand battling skills.

Notleadpoisoned
04-25-2011, 08:04 AM
I would say no to gymnastics, but yoga would be beneficial. This would aid in their flexibility and core strength. As we have seen with the transition of heavyweight amateur wrestlers transitioning to offensive and defensive linemen in the NFL, wrestling is also very beneficial to learn to use your opponents movements and momentum against them. Wrestling also teaches good hand battling skills.
Carlton Haselrig was a good example of a world class wrestler having the ability to transition to the NFL without the added benefit of playing college football.

Mister Pittsburgh
04-25-2011, 08:30 AM
Carlton Haselrig was a good example of a world class wrestler having the ability to transition to the NFL without the added benefit of playing college football.

If Hasselrig had a good head on his shoulders, he would of been a pro bowler his entire career and who knows, possibly a hall of fame offensive lineman. There are a few examples of guys with wrestling backgrounds doing well in the NFL.