PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin has the answer...

PSU_dropout43
04-21-2011, 01:48 AM
So, if the Steelers plan to spend their draft dollars wisely, they're unlikely to select a cornerback in the first round.

Speaking with reporters at last month's owners meetings in New Orleans, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin minimized the importance of selecting cornerbacks early in the draft.

"Defensively, it starts up front," Tomlin said. "You look at how players are drafted, and it bears that out. Big people go first.

"If you're applying pressure to the quarterback, you don't have to cover. If you're stopping the run, you don't have to cover."

Read more: Harris: Steelers likely will seek value - Pittsburgh Tribune-Review http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1K8Ml1HPJ (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_733049.html#ixzz1K8Ml1HPJ)

insanesteelersfan
04-21-2011, 02:19 AM
[quote="PSU_dropout43"]So, if the Steelers plan to spend their draft dollars wisely, they're unlikely to select a cornerback in the first round.

Speaking with reporters at last month's owners meetings in New Orleans, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin minimized the importance of selecting cornerbacks early in the draft.

"Defensively, it starts up front," Tomlin said. "You look at how players are drafted, and it bears that out. Big people go first.

"If you're applying pressure to the quarterback, you don't have to cover. If you're stopping the run, you don't have to cover."

Well if that's the case, why don't we just start 11 D-Linemen/pass rush LB's ? :wft

Because you can't always get pressure on the QB. And since we are put into alot of man on man coverages when teams go 4 and 5 WR sets, we need to have some CB who are good at jammin the WR at the line, and who can stick close to them. I think Butler has this talent. However, I think K.Lewis is more of a Zone coverage type of DB. A little too stiff for press coverage. But you know what the real " IRONIC " thing about Tomlin's statement ?
Below is a snip from Tomlin's Wikipedia page.....

Tomlin was hired as the defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2001, where he first learned the Tampa 2 defense that he would use in later coaching jobs.[1]

In 2002 and 2005, the Buccaneers led the NFL in total defense (fewest yards allowed per game)—during Tomlin's tenure, the defense never ranked worse than sixth overall. When the Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII in January 2003, the team recorded five interceptions, three of which were returned for touchdowns.

Gee, funny statement from a guy who got his start as a Defensive backs coach. And if it weren't for that, he would have never been our Head Coach now :Agree

BURGH86STEEL
04-21-2011, 05:46 AM
Like any statements, people gonna take what they want from them. Tomlin knows teams need to cover. I believe his point was that getting pressure is more important. Pressure changes the way offenses attack defenses. Tomlin also realizes there is a shortage of quality cover men around the league. The rules don't aid passing defenses.

IMO, getting pressure on the QB is the most important aspect of pass defense. No team has 4 or 5 CB's that will be able to cover under these rules. WR's are generally better then the DB's assigned to cover them. There are only a handful of good CB's in the league. The Steelers choose to place more emphasis on getting pressure on the QB for those reasons.

Everybody would love for the Steelers to have great cover men. If those CB's are not available, there is nothing the Steelers or any teams can do.

chiken
04-21-2011, 06:25 AM
Just a thought. Why would Tomlin let everyone know exactly what he is thinking knowing we are picking next to last in the first. Imo this smells like a smoke screen.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-21-2011, 08:50 AM
Just a thought. Why would Tomlin let everyone know exactly what he is thinking knowing we are picking next to last in the first. Imo this smells like a smoke screen.
$$$
Remember, Tomlin would have picked Revis but the Jets jumped us in that draft. I'm not saying that he will pick a DB in round 1...but if there's one on the board that he really likes, I don't believe he will pass him up just because "big men go first."

feltdizz
04-21-2011, 09:18 AM
$$$
Remember, Tomlin would have picked Revis but the Jets jumped us in that draft. I'm not saying that he will pick a DB in round 1...but if there's one on the board that he really likes, I don't believe he will pass him up just because "big men go first."

...or maybe Tomlin wanted Timmons all along and knew Revis was the type to hold out.

I trust our FO way more than I trust the armchair GM's... we have been to 2 SB's in the last 3 years with a below average OL and suspect CB play.

Why would we change our philosophy now? We lost a SB because we turned the ball over 3 times and Ben missed a few WR's that he usually hits.

Don't be surprised if we go BPA in the first. It works...

ikestops85
04-21-2011, 11:21 AM
$$$

...or maybe Tomlin wanted Timmons all along and knew Revis was the type to hold out.

I trust our FO way more than I trust the armchair GM's... we have been to 2 SB's in the last 3 years with a below average OL and suspect CB play.

Why would we change our philosophy now? We lost a SB because we turned the ball over 3 times and Ben missed a few WR's that he usually hits.

Don't be surprised if we go BPA in the first. It works...

:Clap :Clap

StarSpangledSteeler
04-21-2011, 11:28 AM
SMOKE SCREEN

D Rock
04-21-2011, 04:38 PM
SMOKE SCREEN

agreed. He's just d!ckin' with us.

jj28west
04-21-2011, 06:12 PM
He may not make the best emotional 4th down gut calls or whatever but dropping nuggets of inside info to the media even if he was obliterated aint gonna happen in my opinion.

I personally feel he has zero interest in this part of the business where he must converse with the media directly and basically tries to answer or comment on any question or issue in a graceful manner but gives you zilch for substance that could be used against the Steeler org in any way.

Just look at the Coakley incident a couple years ago where he was dogging it on a runback by Josh Cribbs I think it was. I am guessing the game was reviewed that night and Coakley was out on the Streets in 24 hours. Tomlin, being sensitive not to embarass both parties basically called it a business decision.

As far as the "unleash hell" thing I think the Steelers played with heart but look back and see how beat up everyone was. Troy was out, Farrior & James were getting outrun to the corner which you never see.

There were no surprises in the SB. Even we knew what was coming and the exploitation of the soft underbelly of the defense if the rush does not get there.

Sorry for going off on a tangent but when you look across the league I am pretty content and even feel lucky with Tomlin & upper management which seem to be a group that you can trrust that they most of the time are making the right personnel decisions.

Chadman
04-21-2011, 07:50 PM
Tomlin doesn't do Smoke Screens...the only player he has really ever openly coveted, he drafted- Lawrence Timmons.

Tomlin's smoke screens are brilliant- he tells you what he wants & waits for you to convince yourself that it's not what he wants... :D

Thing is- Tomlin can't really go wrong, DB is a 'need', he's semi-correct about the DL thing & if he takes an OL he can claim "BPA" a la Mendenhall's selection.

NJ-STEELER
04-21-2011, 10:51 PM
For a team that led the league in sacks. They sure didn't cover all that well when spread out

If you're leaving receivers wide open within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. You can have a defense full of teggie whites Lawrence taylors and Derrick thomas' and they're still going to complete those passes

Oviedo
04-22-2011, 11:09 AM
For a team that led the league in sacks. They sure didn't cover all that well when spread out

If you're leaving receivers wide open within 5 yards of the line of scrimmage. You can have a defense full of teggie whites Lawrence taylors and Derrick thomas' and they're still going to complete those passes

That's why I keep saying our scheme has been figured out and can be exploited by any team with a good to very good QB. The problem is that we did very little in the way of adjustments last year. I'm not sure whether that is a lack of personnel or LeBeau just being so in love with his scheme that he won't change anything.

If you don't figure that everyone who has a hope in hell isn't going to copy exactly what the Packers did then you are kidding yourself. Drafting CBs who are very good as "run stuffers" doesn't mean jack when teams plan on passing on you 70% of the time and not even worrying about running the ball.

Djfan
04-22-2011, 02:25 PM

That's why I keep saying our scheme has been figured out and can be exploited by any team with a good to very good QB. The problem is that we did very little in the way of adjustments last year. I'm not sure whether that is a lack of personnel or LeBeau just being so in love with his scheme that he won't change anything.

If you don't figure that everyone who has a hope in hell isn't going to copy exactly what the Packers did then you are kidding yourself. Drafting CBs who are very good as "run stuffers" doesn't mean jack when teams plan on passing on you 70% of the time and not even worrying about running the ball.

$$

feltdizz
04-22-2011, 06:38 PM
You can't run on us.... of course every team we play wants to use the Patriot model to defeat us but outside of GB, the Saints and maybe the Colts on a hot day who can do that?

We still got to Rodgers and had a chance to seal the fame before the fumble.

Why would we change our philosophy because the 3 best QB's in the league can beat us when we help them by turning the ball over? Besides the Pats we had a chance to win those other 2 games. It's frustrating but given the odds we are in pretty good shape.

D Rock
04-22-2011, 07:24 PM
You can't run on us.... of course every team we play wants to use the Patriot model to defeat us but outside of GB, the Saints and maybe the Colts on a hot day who can do that?

We still got to Rodgers and had a chance to seal the fame before the fumble.

Why would we change our philosophy because the 3 best QB's in the league can beat us when we help them by turning the ball over? Besides the Pats we had a chance to win those other 2 games. It's frustrating but given the odds we are in pretty good shape.

I don't see a need to change the philosophy, but I sure as heck see a need to upgrade players such as Willie Gay and Bryant McFadden being asked to execute that philosophy.

Whether you chalk it up to scheme or personnel, this team needs more CB talent.

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2011, 10:39 PM
The problem is that we did very little in the way of adjustments last year. I'm not sure whether that is a lack of personnel or LeBeau just being so in love with his scheme that he won't change anything.
i think its more suck then scheme. if the corners were able to play closer to the LOS and not get burnt, we'd see them play it a lot more. besides ike and troy, do you trust anyone in tight man?

heck, we see them get beat deep even while giving 10 yard cushions

Captain Lemming
04-23-2011, 12:43 AM
Tomlin was hired as the defensive backs coach for the Tampa Bay Buccaneers in 2001, where he first learned the Tampa 2 defense that he would use in later coaching jobs.[1]

In 2002 and 2005, the Buccaneers led the NFL in total defense (fewest yards allowed per game)—during Tomlin's tenure, the defense never ranked worse than sixth overall. When the Buccaneers won Super Bowl XXXVII in January 2003, the team recorded five interceptions, three of which were returned for touchdowns.
Gee, funny statement from a guy who got his start as a Defensive backs coach. And if it weren't for that, he would have never been our Head Coach now :Agree

And the pass defense was the strength of his Tampa defense.

But where was his talent?
They had a talented line, one of the best LBers of the era, a pretty good safety and FORGETABLE corners.

They had IMO one of the best PASS defenses EVER. In that SB season they had IMO the best pass defense in a season I have ever seen. And he did it without "great" corner talent. Name defenders on that team off the top of your head. Corner is the last unit you will think of on that team.

You need "GOOD" not GREAT corners to have success.

You make HIS case.

Tomlin KNOWS what he is talking about.