PDA

View Full Version : Ive got it narrowed down to 3...

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
04-20-2011, 08:39 PM
With the 31st pick of the 2011 NFL Draft the Pittsburgh Steelers select:

A. Williams S/CB TEXAS

C. Heyward DE OSU

M. Pouncey G Florida

These are the top guys I will be looking at us drafting in rnd 1.
Hopefully 1 or all fall to our choosin!!

Chadman
04-20-2011, 08:45 PM
Looks about right...you might find Pouncey the hardest to capture at #31- perhaps Solder/Sherrod or Phil Taylor might slide there instead?

Chadman is thinking Williams or Heyward at this point...or trade down. Williams just kind of...fits..

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
04-20-2011, 08:55 PM
Looks about right...you might find Pouncey the hardest to capture at #31- perhaps Solder/Sherrod or Phil Taylor might slide there instead?

Chadman is thinking Williams or Heyward at this point...or trade down. Williams just kind of...fits..

I think Taylor could fall to middle of 2nd rnd because of his character concerns and I also heard he can get lazy. He is intriguing though.
I'd hate waste a 1st rnd pick on an o-linemen other than Pouncey who is a sure thing.

Chadman
04-20-2011, 09:10 PM

I think Taylor could fall to middle of 2nd rnd because of his character concerns and I also heard he can get lazy. He is intriguing though.
I'd hate waste a 1st rnd pick on an o-linemen other than Pouncey who is a sure thing.

Chadman would be happy with Taylor if the Steelers FO are happy with him. He has the ability to be dominant. Not sure how much better Sherrod/Solder are compared to say, Marcus Gilbert who could be had easily as the steelers 2nd choice. If the value of the draft ends up being Solder/ Sherrod at #31 because the DL & DB's have come off the board- so be it- but all things being equal- Chadman has Williams & Heyward higher than the OT's as far as #31 goes.

insanesteelersfan
04-20-2011, 09:43 PM

Chadman would be happy with Taylor if the Steelers FO are happy with him. He has the ability to be dominant. Not sure how much better Sherrod/Solder are compared to say, Marcus Gilbert who could be had easily as the steelers 2nd choice. If the value of the draft ends up being Solder/ Sherrod at #31 because the DL & DB's have come off the board- so be it- but all things being equal- Chadman has Williams & Heyward higher than the OT's as far as #31 goes.

It was recently discovered that Phil Taylor has some serious issues with his foot. Something I can't remember, but I know it is something that cannot be operated on, or corrected. And it was also said that this type of medical condition is even more problematic for someone his size. This very well could remove Taylor off alot of teams boards, including ours.

Chadman
04-20-2011, 09:49 PM

It was recently discovered that Phil Taylor has some serious issues with his foot. Something I can't remember, but I know it is something that cannot be operated on, or corrected. And it was also said that this type of medical condition is even more problematic for someone his size. This very well could remove Taylor off alot of teams boards, including ours.

That's probably true- but it obviously hasn't affected his play up to this point & he's a big guy already. Pain is something all players have to endure- it'd be more important to find out what level of pain & discomfort Taylor can absorb before he becomes ineffectual. So far, the facts show he can play at a level good enough to get him drafted early while dealing with this problem.

Hines Ward isn't supposed to be able to run well enough to be a WR due to his knee issues coming out of college.

So what's the truth of it? Who knows?

To quote Jack Nicholson, "You want the truth? Roll the dice & take your chances.."

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2011, 11:00 PM
To quote Jack Nicholson, "You want the truth? Roll the dice & take your chances.."

"You can't handle the truth! Son, we live in a world that has walls. And those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you can possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know: that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, saves lives...You don't want the truth. Because deep down, in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall.

We use words like honor, code, loyalty...we use these words as the backbone to a life spent defending something. You use 'em as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it! I'd rather you just said thank you and went on your way. Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a damn what you think you're entitled to!"

http://www.coloradopowderforecast.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Front_Thumb_2010-11-04.png

NJ-STEELER
04-21-2011, 12:00 AM
i have a buddy who's a cowboy fan that wants them to trade down from 9 to 17-19 and take pouncey.

he's never gonna get to #31 unless there's a big red flag we dont know about

insanesteelersfan
04-21-2011, 12:06 AM
i have a buddy who's a cowboy fan that wants them to trade down from 9 to 17-19 and take pouncey.

he's never gonna get to #31 unless there's a big red flag we dont know about

Although I do expect Mike Pouncey to get selected before him. In reality, Fla State G/C Rodney Hudson is a much better O-Linemen then Mike is. And he might be a Steeler possibility at 31.

steeler_george
04-21-2011, 04:32 AM
Although I do expect Mike Pouncey to get selected before him. In reality, Fla State G/C Rodney Hudson is a much better O-Linemen then Mike is. And he might be a Steeler possibility at 31.

Hmm, now that would be a sort of a shocker if we took him at 31. Would I be upset? Sort of thinking that there has to be a higher grade prospect there at 31, and with the 2nd round having at least 5 players that can play G and have the potential to swing out to T. (Ijalana, Cannon, Carpenter, Gilbert, Franklin)

But then again, he is a player that should be able to start at RG from day one.

My top 3 if we select at 31:

Sherrod
Heyword
A. Williams

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-21-2011, 09:54 AM
If we want Pouncey, we will have to trade up. Smoke screens or not, the lowest I think he falls is to #25.

One thing is for certain, no matter how I feel about Williams or anyone else feels about him, if the Steelers take him at #31...They believe he could play CB. Given the succes the Steelers have in the first, I will tip my hat to them and trust in the pick.

No to Hudson at #31. Round 2 if he falls ok. The only OL I want at #31 who might be there are Sherrod or Ijalana. If Pouncey, Carimi, or Solder are there they would obviously be the pick but I think all will be gone. Trade back for Watkins, not at #31.

My favorite "true" Gs in this draft through the first four rounds are Pouncey, Watkins, Wisniewski, Hudson, Rackley, Hurd,& Fusco. Give me one off that list, I would be happy.

My favorite Ts in this draft (With Smith, Castonzo, Carimi, & Solder off the board) through the first 4 rounds are SHerrod, Ijalana, Cannon, Franklin, Gilbert, Carpenter, & Barksdale. Before it is all said and done, Ziemba, Hariston, & Reid could sneak into the bottom of 4.

With no free agency, this has to be one of the hardest drafts to project. 1 week and the wait is over.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-21-2011, 10:10 AM

Hmm, now that would be a sort of a shocker if we took him at 31. Would I be upset? Sort of thinking that there has to be a higher grade prospect there at 31, and with the 2nd round having at least 5 players that can play G and have the potential to swing out to T. (Ijalana, Cannon, Carpenter, Gilbert, Franklin)

But then again, he is a player that should be able to start at RG from day one.

My top 3 if we select at 31:

Sherrod
Heyword
A. Williams

Hudson isn't close to Pouncey. I don't think Hudson fits this system coming out of college to be a pick at #31. Can it change? Absolutely. Do I think he is a plug & play year one? Not on the Steelers OL. He misses his targets down field and spends too much time on the ground. I think he will struggle early with reaching NTs and cutting off DTs in this division. I think he actually fits best in a Colts / Patriots style of offense but unless he gets coached up on hitting targets in space, he will struggle. It can be corrected with coaching as long as he has enough agility to break down in space and hit his target. Sometimes it is as easy of just telling the kid where to focus on his target. I always tell kids when you are pulling or out in front on a lead or screen, find your targets belly button & try to stick you helmet in it. Keep you eyes off his eyes and head. Let him dance and fake you all he wants...You will just run through him.

steelblood
04-24-2011, 10:23 AM
I think Pouncey and Heyward will be gone. Williams could be there.