PDA

View Full Version : Who would you draft..........

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-20-2011, 07:10 PM
If you could have any one player of your choice from this draft?

I usually ask this question every year, but this year it seems obvious to me. Our most glaring need has one player who many consider to be a "can't miss" complete prospect.

Patrick Peterson, CB, LSU

What say you guys?

Chadman
04-20-2011, 07:45 PM
Probably Julio Jones if you take away need etc...

RuthlessBurgher
04-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Peterson is my annual draft man crush that we have no chance whatsoever to get, but I would love it anyway (a role held in previous years by guys like Eric Berry, Calvin Johnson, etc.).

hawaiiansteel
04-20-2011, 11:43 PM
my favorite player in college last season was Von Miller, I just hope for his sake he doesn't end up getting banished to Buffalo.

he would make a great eventual replacement for Deebo one day and serve as insurance in case LaMarr Woodley doesn't sign a long-term contract.

insanesteelersfan
04-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Peterson is my annual draft man crush that we have no chance whatsoever to get, but I would love it anyway (a role held in previous years by guys like Eric Berry, Calvin Johnson, etc.).

Sorry guys but I watch a TON of SEC games, and evaluate their players. Peterson is far and away from a can't miss prospect. He has alot of flaws. He was vaulted up above Prince solely due to his size and measurables at Indy. In fact, he could be a huge Bust! Peterson, for all his size has very short arm reach, and very small hands. And he is a below average tackler who does not support the run very well.

Best can't miss talent is Nick Fairley. Yes he has some character issues. But he is a legit 6ft, 4 295 Lb DT who has 4.94 speed. And his stats in a tough SEC were unreal. 24 TFL. Not to mention 11.5 sacks while constantly being doubled. And a host of additional QB pressures.

Fairley is so higher then Peterson it's not even funny.

buckeyehoppy
04-21-2011, 12:09 AM

Sorry guys but I watch a TON of SEC games, and evaluate their players. Peterson is far and away from a can't miss prospect. He has alot of flaws. He was vaulted up above Prince solely due to his size and measurables at Indy. In fact, he could be a huge Bust! Peterson, for all his size has very short arm reach, and very small hands. And he is a below average tackler who does not support the run very well.

Best can't miss talent is Nick Fairley. Yes he has some character issues. But he is a legit 6ft, 4 295 Lb DT who has 4.94 speed. And his stats in a tough SEC were unreal. 24 TFL. Not to mention 11.5 sacks while constantly being doubled. And a host of additional QB pressures.

First off, ISF, welcome to the Steeler Bread and Circus Rendezvous a.k.a. Planet Steelers!

An Auburn player with character issues? No way!

Kidding aside, Fairley is an ace. He just needs to grow up and bear down or he's gonna have a rude awakening wherever he's headed. But, for pure talent, he can't miss.

I think Amukamara prolly has the entire package of skill and smarts, with enough of a head on his shoulders to make him a relatively pain-free pick.

FWIW, it's not a bad year to need DL. Ironically enough, that is one of the areas where we could use fresh blood. Sometimes, it doesn't matter how good your team is, the football gods have their way of giving you the nod!

NJ-STEELER
04-21-2011, 12:27 AM
petersen easily

focosteeler
04-21-2011, 12:41 AM
marcell dareus

BradshawsHairdresser
04-21-2011, 09:02 AM
[/quote]

"Higher" is not always better. Santonio was "higher" than anyone in his draft class, and he isn't even with the Steelers anymore. :lol: :D :wink:

feltdizz
04-21-2011, 09:25 AM
Not sold on Fairley.... now that is a guy with character issues. He played lights out because it was a money year but he was also a dirty player. Real dirty...and plenty of scouts are saying they can't trust him to work hard once he gets paid.

ikestops85
04-21-2011, 10:11 AM
Not sold on Fairley.... now that is a guy with character issues. He played lights out because it was a money year but he was also a dirty player. Real dirty...and plenty of scouts are saying they can't trust him to work hard once he gets paid.

Just from what I've read on Fairley he seems to be an Albert Haynesworth type. He'll be the most dominant tackle in the league in contract years but take the other years off.

This is one of the few years where I think it is hard to pick out a "can't miss" prospect. If forced I guess I'd go with Von Miller.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-21-2011, 10:20 AM
Based on need:
Patrick Petersen or Mike Pouncey

Based on talent & Best Future Pro
Tyron Smith or Julio Jones

steelblood
04-21-2011, 10:26 AM
Marcel Dareus is a perfect 3-4 linemen. He could play NT or DE at an all-pro level. However, I'd be very tempted to take Peterson as we need help at CB and he could be special. I just have a nagging feeling that Peterson is going to only be a decent NFL corner and won't be an all-pro until he switches to safety. So, Dareus would be my pick.

flippy
04-21-2011, 10:41 AM
I like JJ Watt and think he fits the mold of Aaron Smith/Brett Keisel perfectly. He oozes Steelers type of draft pick. I've said a few prayers hoping he falls far enough for us to go up and get him.

There's a lot of other talent that I like, but Watt would fit in our system better than most others and would be the least likely to fail in Pittsburgh. And we need to retool our DLine very soon. That's our biggest need imho.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-21-2011, 11:55 AM
The answer is Pouncey.

He's the best player at his position (OG) since Hutchinson. Name me one interior OL prospect in the last 5 years who has looked significantly better coming out of college? (not counting Maurkice of course) The only one who even comes close is Iupati who I watched all year and the dude cannot pass block for shiz. Going back further is Mankins but I believe Pouncey is a better run blocker and equally as good in pass pro. We're talking about a can't miss who also could be a first year all-pro. The same could not be said (as confidently) about any of the others.

Fairley is good but Suh was better.

Dareus is good but Raji was better.

Peterson is good but Revis was better.

Miller is good but Matthews/Merrimen were better.

And I won't even address OT, WR, QB, TE, RB.

insanesteelersfan
04-21-2011, 12:30 PM
The answer is Pouncey.

He's the best player at his position (OG) since Hutchinson. Name me one interior OL prospect in the last 5 years who has looked significantly better coming out of college? (not counting Maurkice of course) The only one who even comes close is Iupati who I watched all year and the dude cannot pass block for shiz. Going back further is Mankins but I believe Pouncey is a better run blocker and equally as good in pass pro. We're talking about a can't miss who also could be a first year all-pro. The same could not be said (as confidently) about any of the others.

Rodney Hudson is better then Pouncey is. Hudson in fact has graded out the best O-Linemen since Jon Ogden came out. Hudson was a starter since his freshmen season. He is a better Center for sure. But even as a Guard he graded out better then anyone. In 2008, against Boston College, Hudson was credited for 6 " Pancake " blocks on BJ Raji....6 my friend in ONE game! You know how many other times Raji was Pancaked in his college career ?...ZERO! Hudson has had no penalties called on him the past 2 years, and only 1 his entire career at Florida State. Pouncey is credited for having 17 penalties called on him just this past season alone. And Hudson has allowed only 1 1/2 sacks in his entire 4 years at Florida State.

Sorry my friend but that sure sounds like the BEST OG in this draft to me.

PSU_dropout43
04-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Peterson. His size/speed ratio is on par with Rod Woodson's s/s ratio.

Woodson 6'0 202 - 4.29
Peterson 6'0 219 - 4.34

Von Miller is my bust pick.

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2011, 12:40 PM
Peterson. His size/speed ratio is on par with Rod Woodson.

Woodson 6'0 202 - 4.29
Peterson 6'0 219 - 4.34

I wouldn't say that Miller will be a bust, but I am having Aaron Curry flashbacks about him. Everyone said that Curry was the sure-thing can't-miss prospect a couple of years ago, and he's been solid but not spectacular. I could see much the same for Miller. Taking linebackers that early doesn't seem to always lead to great players (A.J. Hawk is another example).

insanesteelersfan
04-21-2011, 12:42 PM

Woodson 6'0 202 - 4.29
Peterson 6'0 219 - 4.34

So, that doesn't mean anything. There have been a TON of DB's who were every bit as big and or as fast as either Peterson or Woodson who were complete Busts! Yeah, size/speed he may be on par with Rod,,but not talent, or on the field production.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-21-2011, 01:56 PM
The answer is Pouncey.

Rodney Hudson is better then Pouncey is. Hudson in fact has graded out the best O-Linemen since Jon Ogden came out. Hudson was a starter since his freshmen season. He is a better Center for sure. But even as a Guard he graded out better then anyone. In 2008, against Boston College, Hudson was credited for 6 " Pancake " blocks on BJ Raji....6 my friend in ONE game! You know how many other times Raji was Pancaked in his college career ?...ZERO! Hudson has had no penalties called on him the past 2 years, and only 1 his entire career at Florida State. Pouncey is credited for having 17 penalties called on him just this past season alone. And Hudson has allowed only 1 1/2 sacks in his entire 4 years at Florida State.

I don't know who said it, but Hudson is the 4th or 5th interior guy in this draft. He is no comparison to Pouncey or Watkins. I could grade out 95% in an FSU offense. You want to see who Hudson is & what he played in, watch the highlight below. I had him graded out at 66%...Not one of his better highlight reels I guess. He's good & has potential but it may be limited with his frame. He struggles to hit his target in space and spends too much time on the ground. Mid 2nd round talent. I would be happy if the Steelers had him fall to their pick in the 2nd but I wouldn't spend #31 on him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOIZbQKOQL8

insanesteelersfan
04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
The answer is Pouncey.

I'm sorry, I fail to see what the hell that video shows. I can show you one where Pouncey gets rolled over several times this season, and has several bad snaps as a Center. So what is your point ? As it goes to size and strength, Hudson is 4 Lbs lighter then Pouncey, and he is already stronger. He clearly has it all over Pouncey when it come to Balance, and quickness and technique. Pouncey could have shown what he could do against the best at the Senior Bowl. But he declined to even attend. As where Hudson was considered by far the best O-linemen during the week of practices. Practices that had him facing the best of the best in D-Linemen in this draft, and he more then held his own. So I'm sure you are TRYING to make a point here....I just can't figure out what it is :wft

I don't know who said it, but Hudson is the 4th or 5th interior guy in this draft. He is no comparison to Pouncey or Watkins. I could grade out 95% in an FSU offense. You want to see who Hudson is & what he played in, watch the highlight below. I had him graded out at 66%...Not one of his better highlight reels I guess. He's good & has potential but it may be limited with his frame. He struggles to hit his target in space and spends too much time on the ground. Mid 2nd round talent. I would be happy if the Steelers had him fall to their pick in the 2nd but I wouldn't spend #31 on him.

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2011, 01:30 AM

Woodson 6'0 202 - 4.29
Peterson 6'0 219 - 4.34

another thing that reminded of him was his returning skills...top notch

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-22-2011, 11:08 AM
I'm sorry, I fail to see what the hell that video shows. I can show you one where Pouncey gets rolled over several times this season, and has several bad snaps as a Center. So what is your point ? As it goes to size and strength, Hudson is 4 Lbs lighter then Pouncey, and he is already stronger. He clearly has it all over Pouncey when it come to Balance, and quickness and technique. Pouncey could have shown what he could do against the best at the Senior Bowl. But he declined to even attend. As where Hudson was considered by far the best O-linemen during the week of practices. Practices that had him facing the best of the best in D-Linemen in this draft, and he more then held his own. So I'm sure you are TRYING to make a point here....I just can't figure out what it is :wft

It is no suprise you can't see anything bad in the video. It crushes everything you say about him. How many times was he on the ground? How many times did he miss his target? How many times does he struggle to change direction? Hudson has n.o.t.h.i.n.g. on Mike Pouncey. Pouncey's best position isn't C. You want to see what a Stud OG looks like??? Watch Pouncey playing RG in 2009. You are way off thinking they are close. I have no problem with Hudson in the 2nd. Now way at #31. But guess what...In less than a week we will see who the fool is. How high does Pouncey go versus Hudson. We will see who was far off.

insanesteelersfan
04-22-2011, 11:19 AM

It is no suprise you can't see anything bad in the video. It crushes everything you say about him. How many times was he on the ground? How many times did he miss his target? How many times does he struggle to change direction? Hudson has n.o.t.h.i.n.g. on Mike Pouncey. Pouncey's best position isn't C. You want to see what a Stud OG looks like??? Watch Pouncey playing RG in 2009. You are way off thinking they are close. I have no problem with Hudson in the 2nd. Now way at #31. But guess what...In less than a week we will see who the fool is. How high does Pouncey go versus Hudson. We will see who was far off.

We'll see how high Pouncey goes vs Hudson...LOL!! Oh, and that makes Pouncey a better player ? Hey MENSA...Do me a favor, here is the OFFICIAL list from the AP All-SEC 1st team in 2010. Please show me where Mike Pouncey is

Share7

ShareEmailPrint

2010 All SEC first team

QB Cam Newton, Auburn*
RB Marcus Lattimore, South Carolina*
RB Knile Davis, Arkansas
Util Randall Cobb, Kentucky
WR Julio Jones, Alabama
WR Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina
TE D.J. Williams, Arkansas*
OL Derrick Sherrod, Mississippi State
OL Barrett Jones, Alabama
OL DeMarcus Love, Arkansas
OL Ryan Pugh, Auburn
OL Lee Ziemba, Auburn

Again my little uneducated BOY........ :owned

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-22-2011, 11:57 AM
We'll see how high Pouncey goes vs Hudson...LOL!! Oh, and that makes Pouncey a better player ? Hey MENSA...Do me a favor, here is the OFFICIAL list from the AP All-SEC 1st team in 2010. Please show me where Mike Pouncey is

2010 All SEC first team

QB Cam Newton, Auburn*
RB Knile Davis, Arkansas
WR Julio Jones, Alabama
OL Ryan Pugh, Auburn
OL Lee Ziemba, Auburn

You never owned anyone in here especially me. Pouncey made a position change in 2010 and still made second team. And yes, it makes him a better player if he goes higher tha Hudson. That's how the draft works McFly...The higher graded players get drafted higher. College accolades don't mean anything going to the next level. If that was the case Heisman's would be going 1st pick. Watch the films. Hudson is a good player but he isn't Pouncey. Hudson has his flaws and may be limited at the next level. I would be pleased with the Steelers using a 2nd to get him. Pouncey has his flaws to but if you are going evaluate him on 2010 at C...Then your are a bigger fool than your post show. Isn't that the 3rd or 4th time you used your fearless internet alter ego to place the "owned" smiley in your post? You make a bigger fool of yourself with every post. God help us all if you make it to 50 posts.

WoodleyofTroy
04-22-2011, 01:06 PM
James Neal.

insanesteelersfan
04-22-2011, 01:15 PM

2010 All SEC first team

QB Cam Newton, Auburn*
RB Knile Davis, Arkansas
WR Julio Jones, Alabama
OL Ryan Pugh, Auburn
OL Lee Ziemba, Auburn

You never owned anyone in here especially me. Pouncey made a position change in 2010 and still made second team. And yes, it makes him a better player if he goes higher tha Hudson. That's how the draft works McFly...The higher graded players get drafted higher.

Really ? In 2006, was Revis the highest rated CB ? ( NO )...but he was drafted first. And in the 200 draft,,,,Chad Pennington, Chris Redman, and our own Tee Martin were considered the HIGHEST rated QB's in that draft. And ALL of them were drafted before Tom Brady....so, are they better ?

Keep on spewing son. And I will keep on :lol: As you will forever be :owned by me!

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-22-2011, 01:51 PM
Keep on spewing son. And I will keep on :lol: As you will forever be :owned by me!

Do you even see where you went? Went from Hudson vs Pouncey, to all ACC, consensus, to talking about Revis, Pennington, Redman. Talk about panic.

This is funny if you think you owned anyone. All I see is everyone disagreeing with everyone of your posts. Everyone of your statements have flaws and exceptions but when you are challenged or corrected..You change your course. You are my B!tch...Deal with it. Called me out and got your face flatened. No where to go to save face. Panic & contempt has set in. The evidence is in every post you write in here to me...Your insecurity has you ending everyone with "owned". Self destruct mode is already engaged. Sad..Sad thing to watch. Nobody knows who you are...Just walk away & think it was a dream. The only one who will ever know what a fool you were is you. You could live with that...Look what you you endure every day of your life...You!