PDA

View Full Version : my draft strategy

steeler_george
04-19-2011, 07:18 PM
The meat of the draft for the Steelers this year is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, IF none of the top 5 OT or top 3-4 DL fall to us at 31. I don't see a clear cut player at 31, who grades that much higher than a player somewhere in early-mid 2nd.

Keep in mind, there is going to be top talent in the areas of need/future starters for us in the middle of round 2, because of the the early run in the 2nd on QBs, WR, and RBs, who slid from the first, due to the run on OT and DL in the 1st.

1. So if there is no top OT or DL available at 31, then trade back to early 2nd round with AZ #38 or TN #39. . Why not get our BPA of value and gain an additional 3rd.

2. at pick 38/39 trade back again, gain another 3rd. So we have now two 2nd rounders and three 3rd rounders.

3. somewhere in the early 40s select BPA OL... Cannon,Watkins, Ijalana or BPA DB...Williams, House, Dowling, Brown, Harris, Moore.

4. select the opposite of what we took in step 3 or BPA

5. select the BPA of value... maybe Carpenter, Gilbert, Franklin, Brewer, or any of the top remaining DBs, add in a RB or TE.

6. BPA WR, RB, DL

something like this:

2a) Williams/Dowling/Cannon/Hudson
2b) Cannon/Watkins/Brown/House
3a) Gilbert/Carpenter/Brewer
3b) Little/kendricks
3c) Ellis
4) BPA
5) BPA
6) BPA
7) BPa

StarSpangledSteeler
04-20-2011, 01:41 AM
The meat of the draft for the Steelers this year is in the 2nd and 3rd rounds, IF none of the top 5 OT or top 3-4 DL fall to us at 31. I don't see a clear cut player at 31, who grades that much higher than a player somewhere in early-mid 2nd.

Keep in mind, there is going to be top talent in the areas of need/future starters for us in the middle of round 2, because of the the early run in the 2nd on QBs, WR, and RBs, who slid from the first, due to the run on OT and DL in the 1st.

1. So if there is no top OT or DL available at 31, then trade back to early 2nd round with AZ #38 or TN #39. . Why not get our BPA of value and gain an additional 3rd.

2. at pick 38/39 trade back again, gain another 3rd. So we have now two 2nd rounders and three 3rd rounders.

3. somewhere in the early 40s select BPA OL... Cannon,Watkins, Ijalana or BPA DB...Williams, House, Dowling, Brown, Harris, Moore.

5. select the BPA of value... maybe Carpenter, Gilbert, Franklin, Brewer, or any of the top remaining DBs, add in a RB or TE.

6. BPA WR, RB, DL

something like this:

3b) Little/kendricks
3c) Ellis
4) BPA
5) BPA
6) BPA
7) BPa

I have to admit, it looks very intriguing on paper. Just remember, Colbert's expertise lies in the first round. He is typically very average at assessing 2-4th round talent.

Oviedo
04-20-2011, 01:07 PM

6. BPA WR, RB, DL

something like this:

3b) Little/kendricks
3c) Ellis
4) BPA
5) BPA
6) BPA
7) BPa

I would like it to work out that way but trading out of Round 1 is very hard because you are asking a team to take on two Round 1 contracts in the same year. There has to be a real motivation to get a player and if that is the case then they would probably want to go higher than #31 to make sure they got their man.

I like your options per pick but I think we would have to get Kendricks late in Round 2 or we won't get him at all.

steeler_george
04-21-2011, 05:04 AM
I would like it to work out that way but trading out of Round 1 is very hard because you are asking a team to take on two Round 1 contracts in the same year. There has to be a real motivation to get a player and if that is the case then they would probably want to go higher than #31 to make sure they got their man.

I like your options per pick but I think we would have to get Kendricks late in Round 2 or we won't get him at all.

That may be true, but if they give up an early 2 and early 3 for our late 1st round, is there that much difference in total contracts?

BradshawsHairdresser
04-21-2011, 08:57 AM

That may be true, but if they give up an early 2 and early 3 for our late 1st round, is there that much difference in total contracts?
Give up an early 2 and an early 3 for a late 1? Much as I would like to see this happen, it seems highly unlikely.

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2011, 10:16 AM

Give up an early 2 and an early 3 for a late 1? Much as I would like to see this happen, it seems highly unlikely.

According to the trade value chart, a mid-2 and mid-3 for a late-1 or an early-2 and early-4 for a late-1 would be a more realistic expectation.

For example, our 1.31 is worth 600 points.

Jacksonville's mid 2nd and mid 3rd are worth a combined 600 points exactly as well (2.49 = 410, 3.80 = 190).

Arizona's early 2nd and early 4th are worth a combined 608 points...close enough (2.38 = 520, 4.103 = 88).

Perhaps one of those teams, after filling pressing needs on defense with their first pick, would want to move back up into the late first in order to get the QB prospect of their chose among as Locker, Mallett, Ponder, Dalton, Kaepernick, etc.