PDA

View Full Version : Greg Little visited the Steelers

PSU_dropout43
04-19-2011, 10:04 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... les_others (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=ApabCgHc458G4HAEEqF5eql9t7l_?slug=nfp-20110419_greg_little_visited_the_redskins_steelers _browns_eagles_others)

University of North Carolina wide receiver Greg Little has visited the Washington Redskins, Pittsburgh Steelers, Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Cleveland Browns, Philadelphia Eagles and the Baltimore Ravens, according to a league source with knowledge of the situation.

He also conducted two private workouts.

Little impressed at his Pro Day workout with a 4.53 in the 40-yard dash, a 38-inch vertical leap and a 10-10 broad jump. He registered a 4.19 in the short shuttle.

Little is known for having a strong work ethic and dedication to his exercise regimen.

He's regarded as a player that some teams are willing to manuever through trades in order to acquire.

Recruited as a wide receiver, Little also played some running back and quarterback in Chapel Hill.

The 6-foot-2, 225-pounder was suspended for the entire season due to NCAA violations involving his dealings with an agent.

As a junior, he caught 62 passes for 724 yards and five touchdowns.

Little is a big, strong downfield target with good body control and hands and is tough to bring down in the open field after the catch.

As a sophomore, he rushed for 339 yards and three touchdowns and caught 11 passes for 146 yards.

During his freshman year, Little ran for 300 yards and two touchdowns and caught 13 passes for 99 yards and one touchdown.

He was a Super Prep All-American in high school who lined up at quarterback, running back, wide receiver, linebacker, safety and cornerback, also playing basketball and running track.

Oviedo
04-19-2011, 10:08 AM
Hines II?????

Sounds like the type of player who could excel opposite Wallace and keep other teams honest.

Likely would have to move up in Round 2 to get him.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2011, 10:15 AM
Dude is an absolute physical speciman...no question about that. But you hate to read things like this:

4. Greg Little, North Carolina (6-2, 231)

Letís get this out of the way now: Greg Little is a risky pick because he has demonstrated a high level of immaturity, which will probably drop his draft stock. Little wonít be given a lot of slack, and if he doesnít mature quickly, his opportunities to play in the N.F.L. could go south quicker than he can impress an observer with his tremendous skills.

However, if an organization (or fantasy owner) is in a position to take a chance on greatness because it has a strong group of core players, Little is the kind of player that can put a team over the top. His ball skills in single coverage; his athleticism; and his running-back mind-set after the catch are special. These talents alone can draw comparisons to Anquan Boldin and Dez Bryant.

Little possesses a basketball playerís knack (which he was at U.N.C.) for adjusting to the ball in the air. After the catch, Little has the vision, balance, power and cutting ability of a feature back (which he also was at U.N.C). Little also plays with a great deal of intensity and desire to dominate.

But Littleís intensity all too frequently crossed the line with outbursts that are both a distraction and a source of penalties. I have watched him remove his helmet on the field, shout at teammates over mistakes, punt the football into the stands after scoring, and taunt a defender he put on the ground with a great block. In the last example, Little didnít know that he had hurt the defender severely. He stood over him running his mouth. The lack of control over his emotions will become a problem if he doesnít learn to harness it.

Little didnít do his draft status any favors by lying to N.C.A.A. investigators last summer, costing him his remaining eligibility. He has first-round talent, but the childish displays of a journeyman free agent. If he puts it all together, he has a shot to be as productive as any receiver in this draft, and only A.J. Green and Julio Jones match or exceed his physical potential.

http://fifthdown.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/04/09/n-f-l-draft-greg-little-fourth-ranked-receiver/

I don't think the team necessarily brings in the players that they are most interested in to the South Side. I think more often than not, they bring in players with intriguing talent who have question marks (whether it be medical or maturity-wise). If it is a medical issue, bringing them to HQ means our doctors get another chance to examine them. If it's a maturity issue, it gives the coaches an opportunity to get to know them a little better as people to see if they have outgrown some of those issues or if it appears that they will continue to be prima donnas. Usually, there are some current Steeler players at the facility working out during these visits, so you get to see how the prospective rookie interacts when meeting established NFL vets (unfortunately, that is not the case this year since players are barred from contact with the team during the lockout). Little has a tremendous skill set...a visit like this could determine whether or not they feel that his past transgressions aren't a huge deal (like it appears that they did with Kenrick Ellis) or if it someone they should take off their board entirely (like it appears that they did with Jimmy Smith).

steelblood
04-19-2011, 10:41 AM
After shipping out Holmes and Reed, it will be tough to bring in a guy like this. I love the talent though.

focosteeler
04-19-2011, 11:52 AM
Yes please! :tt2

Oviedo
04-19-2011, 11:54 AM
After shipping out Holmes and Reed, it will be tough to bring in a guy like this. I love the talent though.

Holmes and Reed were shipped out because they were problem children as Steelers, more than once each, not as college students.

If they get a read that Little has matured and moved past history than he would be a great add.

Shawn
04-19-2011, 11:58 AM
If he is sitting there when we pick in the second round, I suspect the Steelers will give him a hard look. But, unless they are convinced that Little has put the immaturity behind him, it won't happen.

steelblood
04-19-2011, 12:16 PM

Holmes and Reed were shipped out because they were problem children as Steelers, more than once each, not as college students.

If they get a read that Little has matured and moved past history than he would be a great add.

The allegations are that he lied to NCAA investigators in 2010 and then lied to NFL coaches and front office folks multiple times at the combine just 50 days ago. I'm not sure how anyone can conclude that his troubles are behind him.

At some point, he is worth taking a risk on (maybe even in the second round). But, this appears to be a guy who is still making problems for himself.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2011, 12:31 PM

The allegations are that he lied to NCAA investigators in 2010 and then lied to NFL coaches and front office folks multiple times at the combine just 50 days ago. I'm not sure how anyone can conclude that his troubles are behind him.

At some point, he is worth taking a risk on (maybe even in the second round). But, this appears to be a guy who is still making problems for himself.

His lying to NCAA investigators has been well documented. But I hadn't heard about him lying to NFL coaches and scouts at the combine, though (I heard that about Jimmy Smith, not Greg Little). In fact, I had seen the opposite reported:

03/02/11 - NFL COMBINE RISER: Greg Little, WR, North Carolina: With Little having been suspended for the 2010 season for accepting improper benefits from an agent, few players had more riding on their combine performance. A spectacular, but raw, athlete who saw time at running back for the Tar Heels before switching to receiver, Little measured in like a tight end at 6-3, 220 pounds and led the position with 27 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press, more than several of the top offensive tackles. Little also finished among the positional leaders in the vertical jump (40Ĺ inches) and broad jump (10 feet, 9 inches). Most important, he was honest and contrite in his interviews with news reporters and teams. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70683&draftyear=2011&genpos=WR

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-19-2011, 01:08 PM

I have a question them. How high would you pick a kid who was arrested twice for underage drinking and tested possitive for drugs as many as 4 times in college? He has a posse of hangers-on, an inflated opinion of himself and thinks he already has arrived. When asked about the drugs at the combine, his response was, "I was young and dumb, like any other college student at the time." When asked about his arrest, his respose was, "There were small things that happened when I was younger. It wasn't like, 'Oh, my God, he's fighting or he's drunk.' I'm not worried about it." When asked to describe himself he said, ""I'm a shutdown corner. I have better ball skills than Nnamdi Asomugha."

I'm just wondering because you are saying don't take a liar in the 2nd, but take a kid who broke the law several times and has a pi$$ poor attitude in the first. In my opinion, I wouldn't even put Jimmy Smith on my board because by the time I would pick him...It would be just a waste of ink writing his name because he would be long gone. But Mr. Little would be on my board if he interviewed well by taking responsibilty for his actions and showed maturity. Can't cure stupid like Jimmy Smith. The "risk-reward" on Greg Little & Kendrick Ellis in the 2nd or 3rd is well worth the risk with the organizational structure the Steelers have.

focosteeler
04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
[youtube:2gpw1v79]VRKB-KIQMg4[/youtube:2gpw1v79]

sentinel33
04-19-2011, 02:02 PM
little is intriguing, but not for a 2nd. Or a 3rd.

His antics will cost teams with penalties, and the penalties quota gets handled quite nicely by Kemoeatu. He doesnt need help.

And neither does our wr corps. The 3 youngbloods(wallace,brown,sanders) show much promise and potential. Ward remains an effective part of the offense both on the field and the sidelines. While there is room for another WR, it is not such a need as to fire off a 2nd rounder for one. Defensive back, offensive line and defensive line need to be addressed before we go fishing for value picks.(and picking little in Rnd 2 would not be a value selection, it would be a gamble)

There are some good WR's to be had in rounds 4-6. That's when the Steelers should grab one(pettis,toliver,binns,gurley).

And definately little if he is there in rnd. 4+. I mean if we can take a punter in round 4, surely we can take a shot at little. if he's there.

'Cause I admit. Dude plays like Boldin 2.0

steelblood
04-19-2011, 04:53 PM

I have a question them. How high would you pick a kid who was arrested twice for underage drinking and tested possitive for drugs as many as 4 times in college? He has a posse of hangers-on, an inflated opinion of himself and thinks he already has arrived. When asked about the drugs at the combine, his response was, "I was young and dumb, like any other college student at the time." When asked about his arrest, his respose was, "There were small things that happened when I was younger. It wasn't like, 'Oh, my God, he's fighting or he's drunk.' I'm not worried about it." When asked to describe himself he said, ""I'm a shutdown corner. I have better ball skills than Nnamdi Asomugha."

I'm just wondering because you are saying don't take a liar in the 2nd, but take a kid who broke the law several times and has a pi$$ poor attitude in the first. In my opinion, I wouldn't even put Jimmy Smith on my board because by the time I would pick him...It would be just a waste of ink writing his name because he would be long gone. But Mr. Little would be on my board if he interviewed well by taking responsibilty for his actions and showed maturity. Can't cure stupid like Jimmy Smith. The "risk-reward" on Greg Little & Kendrick Ellis in the 2nd or 3rd is well worth the risk with the organizational structure the Steelers have.

Actually, I'm all for drafting both Smith and Little. I would like them as our first two choices. I just don't think the Steelers would consider either one. I don't see how they draft these guys after they shipped off Holmes and Reed. I think the franchise has painted themselves into a corner with the Holmes release. Personally, I wish we never released Holmes. He was one of my favorite players.

steelblood
04-19-2011, 05:11 PM

His lying to NCAA investigators has been well documented. But I hadn't heard about him lying to NFL coaches and scouts at the combine, though (I heard that about Jimmy Smith, not Greg Little). In fact, I had seen the opposite reported:

03/02/11 - NFL COMBINE RISER: Greg Little, WR, North Carolina: With Little having been suspended for the 2010 season for accepting improper benefits from an agent, few players had more riding on their combine performance. A spectacular, but raw, athlete who saw time at running back for the Tar Heels before switching to receiver, Little measured in like a tight end at 6-3, 220 pounds and led the position with 27 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press, more than several of the top offensive tackles. Little also finished among the positional leaders in the vertical jump (40Ĺ inches) and broad jump (10 feet, 9 inches). Most important, he was honest and contrite in his interviews with news reporters and teams. - Rob Rang, NFLDraftScout.com

http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=70683&draftyear=2011&genpos=WR

Here is what I read.

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/6575/greg-little
According to SI's Tony Pauline, North Carolina WR Greg Little has hurt his draft stock at the Combine by being "less than honest" in team interviews.
"And that's putting it nicely," writes Pauline. Another report suggested Little could fall out of the draft altogether. A former running back, Little is considered one of the draft's better run-after-catch wideouts. If he can get his head on straight, it might not be crazy to make Bucs WR Mike Williams comparisons. Williams dealt with similar character concerns last April. Feb 27, 12:46 PM

http://www.csnphilly.com/03/02/11/NFL-C ... eedID=8870 (http://www.csnphilly.com/03/02/11/NFL-Combine-risers-and-fallers/news_nfl_draft_2011.html?blockID=431195&feedID=8870)

Little exhibited impressive athleticism .... Unfortunately, NFL teams are much more concerned that Little was "less than truthful" during Combine Q&As after an NCAA suspension cost him his entire senior season. As Lance Zierlein of the Houston Chronicle pointed out, "Scouts already know the answers, Little." Which makes it all the more unwise for Little to lie to them.

Captain Lemming
04-19-2011, 07:08 PM

OF COURSE WE ALL KNOW THAT.
The point is that the Steelers who are less tolerant than most on these issues are not likely to take a guy with such a history BECAUSE they got bit once by Holmes when they took a chance on him.
Teams like the Jets or Bengals who tend to ignore character flaws are far more likely to take a guy like him.