PDA

View Full Version : No CBA means no UDFA's

steelerkeylargo
04-18-2011, 09:53 AM
Without a new CBA in place there will be no contact with undrafted free agents and none will be signed.

Oviedo
04-18-2011, 10:12 AM
A lot of young men will see their dreams shot down because of this. Being a UDFA is hard enough but when you can't show your stuff in OTAs, etc. it is probably a mountain too high to climb.

I would hope that any agreement allows for a expanded practice squad to compensate.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-18-2011, 11:50 AM
The conspiracy theorist in me wants to believe that somehow these UDFA's will get contacted by "un-official" third parties.

steelblood
04-18-2011, 01:02 PM
As soon as there is a CBA, UDFAs will be signed. It is simply a delay. These fellas will go get a job a Lowe's and wait a few months. No big deal.

birtikidis
04-18-2011, 08:35 PM
As soon as there is a CBA, UDFAs will be signed. It is simply a delay. These fellas will go get a job a Lowe's and wait a few months. No big deal.
No big deal until you show up at camp behind everyone else.

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2011, 10:38 PM

None of the drafted rookies will have received any coaching or had access to a playbook until a new CBA is worked out, so all rookies, whether drafted or not, will be behind the 8 ball. I mentioned in another thread how I think the UFL may jump in and try to sign the top UDFA's shortly after this draft, since they are able to negotiate with these guys and guarantee them a paycheck playing professional football while the NFL is not able to do that at this time.

birtikidis
04-19-2011, 08:34 PM

None of the drafted rookies will have received any coaching or had access to a playbook until a new CBA is worked out, so all rookies, whether drafted or not, will be behind the 8 ball. I mentioned in another thread how I think the UFL may jump in and try to sign the top UDFA's shortly after this draft, since they are able to negotiate with these guys and guarantee them a paycheck playing professional football while the NFL is not able to do that at this time.
Yea, but the UDFA are usually raw guys who are going to have to fight for a spot. every chance they get to show something is crucial for them.