PDA

View Full Version : I really do like our QB

StarSpangledSteeler
04-18-2011, 02:47 AM
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d8 ... _headlines (http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d81f4d5f0/article/roethlisberger-still-feels-pain-from-steelers-super-bowl-loss?module=HP_headlines)

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion on Ben, but as for me...

I'm glad he's is our QB.

Sugar
04-18-2011, 01:09 PM
I like him too. I posted this article to my FB. He's a guy who doesn't take well to losing and I like that. He might not be the best pure passer or the most analytical mind in the league, but he is a winner.

skyhawk
04-20-2011, 02:45 AM
Wait a minute. He's not blaming the refs or something else?

I like our QB, too. :Beer

MaxAMillion
04-20-2011, 09:39 AM
Good, it should hurt. If the Steelers had swithced QB with the Packers we would have won by double digits. Rodgers was hitting guys that was covered while Ben was missing guys who were wide open. I still can't get past that NFLN clip that showed a blown coverage where Miller is open 20 yards down field by himself while Ben is throwing an interception in the middle of the field to a covered Wallace. I won't even mention all the inaccurate throws that Ben made throughout the game.

We wouldn't have even made the Super Bowl if not for the defense (a lot of people seem to forget that). The defense clearly won the last two Raven games because the offense was inept and they basically had to win the Jets game as well.

We don't have a championship offense unless a lot of people improve their games (starting with Roethlisberger).

sentinel33
04-20-2011, 10:57 AM
Let's see...

Off-Season DRAMA!
4 game suspension.
A make shift O-line for much of the season.
More rookies gettin time than I can remember.
A busted up foot.
A busted up nose.
Most people hate you.

Yeah. I like our QB, too.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Let's see...

Off-Season DRAMA!
4 game suspension.
A busted up foot.
A busted up nose.
Most people hate you.

it must suck for you to be a Steeler fan.

Oviedo
04-20-2011, 01:15 PM
Good, it should hurt. If the Steelers had swithced QB with the Packers we would have won by double digits. Rodgers was hitting guys that was covered while Ben was missing guys who were wide open. I still can't get past that NFLN clip that showed a blown coverage where Miller is open 20 yards down field by himself while Ben is throwing an interception in the middle of the field to a covered Wallace. I won't even mention all the inaccurate throws that Ben made throughout the game.

We wouldn't have even made the Super Bowl if not for the defense (a lot of people seem to forget that). The defense clearly won the last two Raven games because the offense was inept and they basically had to win the Jets game as well.

We don't have a championship offense unless a lot of people improve their games (starting with Roethlisberger).

You desribed Ben's biggest issue here:

I still can't get past that NFLN clip that showed a blown coverage where Miller is open 20 yards down field by himself while Ben is throwing an interception in the middle of the field to a covered Wallace

We totally underutilize our TEs and RBs in the passing game. Ben could dink and dunk a team to death but he, or Arians...probably both, insist of looking for the WRs first and trying to force plays that aren't there.

I'd love to see 40-50% of our pass attempts to RBs and TEs. Our offense would be better.

skyhawk
04-20-2011, 01:18 PM
Let's see...

Off-Season DRAMA!
4 game suspension.
A busted up foot.
A busted up nose.
Most people hate you.

it must suck for you to be a Steeler fan.

Ben did not play well. But jeez that guy took some major abuse in 2010. I think it was too much for him in the big game. I don't get your point?

Djfan
04-21-2011, 09:36 AM
I'd love to see 40-50% of our pass attempts to RBs and TEs. Our offense would be better.

This.

Ben is amazing, but stuck in a rut at times. I would love to hear him say "I only play one way, coach, but want to learn more to get better, more versitile." Not that other quote we heard.

Still, love the guy. Glad he's in black & gold!!

feltdizz
04-21-2011, 11:46 AM

This.

Ben is amazing, but stuck in a rut at times. I would love to hear him say "I only play one way, coach, but want to learn more to get better, more versitile." Not that other quote we heard.

:Agree

RuthlessBurgher
04-21-2011, 12:33 PM

This.

I think that "I only play one way, coach" is misinterpreted nearly as often as those who swear that ARII said that he wanted us to run more often (as opposed to what he actually said, that we need to be able to run the ball more consistently). Ben was saying that he only plays one way...full speed, all in, balls out...he's not a guy who is going to pussyfoot around in an effort not to get himself hurt...he a guy that is going to do everything in his power to make a play. What's not to love about that attitude?

feltdizz
04-21-2011, 12:50 PM

This.

I think that "I only play one way, coach" is misinterpreted nearly as often as those who swear that ARII said that he wanted us to run more often (as opposed to what he actually said, that we need to be able to run the ball more consistently). Ben was saying that he only plays one way...full speed, all in, balls out...he's not a guy who is going to pussyfoot around in an effort not to get himself hurt...he a guy that is going to do everything in his power to make a play. What's not to love about that attitude?

When its the last game of the season or the last 2 minutes of a game that is out of reach I don't want Ben going balls out...

The last Cleveland game in 2008 was a prime example of Ben only playing one way and it could have knocked him out for the season.

I love Ben's attitude in close games but when the game is out of reach or we are trying to get a few reps before pulling him it's foolish to take some of the shots he takes.

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2011, 12:55 AM

I still can't get past that NFLN clip that showed a blown coverage where Miller is open 20 yards down field by himself while Ben is throwing an interception in the middle of the field to a covered Wallace

We totally underutilize our TEs and RBs in the passing game. Ben could dink and dunk a team to death but he, or Arians...probably both, insist of looking for the WRs first and trying to force plays that aren't there.

that play was a designed dink and dunk type pass to go to wallace right away

of course if he does that, and has to run around to avoid a rush to find heath we get the "he holds the ball too long crowd" or "why does he play sand lot ball all the time" crowd

Djfan
04-22-2011, 09:30 AM

This.

Nothing to not love there brother. But, it still seems to me that he had that pass in his head before the hike, and didn't look at the field. Had he done so, Miller scores the winning SB TD.

grotonsteel
04-22-2011, 10:25 AM

that play was a designed dink and dunk type pass to go to wallace right away

of course if he does that, and has to run around to avoid a rush to find heath we get the "he holds the ball too long crowd" or "why does he play sand lot ball all the time" crowd

40-50% passes to our Rbs and TE is a recipe for a failure. YPA decides a winner and not completion %.

As far as dink and dunk, Steelers tried to do that against Packers and failed. All the passes to Wallace were quick release. If Ben would have tried his old way of holding the ball, scrambling around he would have completed the pass to heath Miller.

People can't have both ways. Either go for West Coast offense or have a Vertical offense peppered with run plays.

Djfan
04-22-2011, 02:27 PM
YPA decides a winner and not completion %.

Hey! MSM is back!!

feltdizz
04-22-2011, 06:09 PM
Wait? Ben stared down a WR and threw into double coverage because some fans say he holds the ball too long? Are people really acting this dense to defend a horrible decision? If Ben hits Miller I don't think the "hold the ball" crowd would boo that play...

People complain about Ben holding the ball too long when he is triple pumping and trying to go verticle when Mend or Heath are wide open underneath on 2nd and 3.

It's ignorant to suggest Ben was throwing a quick pass when he pumped and stared down Wallace in double coverage.

grotonsteel
04-22-2011, 06:31 PM

Hey! MSM is back!!

Well i am not MSM but i definitely agreed with him on YPA being the most important factor.

NJ-STEELER
04-22-2011, 10:47 PM
Wait? Ben stared down a WR and threw into double coverage because some fans say he holds the ball too long? Are people really acting this dense to defend a horrible decision? If Ben hits Miller I don't think the "hold the ball" crowd would boo that play...

People complain about Ben holding the ball too long when he is triple pumping and trying to go verticle when Mend or Heath are wide open underneath on 2nd and 3.

It's ignorant to suggest Ben was throwing a quick pass when he pumped and stared down Wallace in double coverage.

the play we're talking about is the 2nd INT. short slant in to wallace

Djfan
04-22-2011, 11:30 PM

Hey! MSM is back!!

Well i am not MSM but i definitely agreed with him on YPA being the most important factor.

Just pulling your chain, brother! :tt1

feltdizz
04-24-2011, 06:35 PM

the play we're talking about is the 2nd INT. short slant in to wallace

I thought Ben pumped on that play because they had Wallace locked up pretty good. I haven't watched the SB replay so I'm just going on memory. Still hurts to watch.

NJ-STEELER
04-25-2011, 12:37 AM
no pump on the 2nd Int.

bushmade a great play to snuff it out.

just like clark did with the jennings TD a few plays later. replays showed he diagnosed the play early. only thing was he hesitated for a second (why, i dont know) and it cost him an INT or at least knocking the ball away. the packer DB didnt hesitate and out fought wallace for the ball.

thats the difference of having players in the secondary that can make plays on the ball and one that allows them to catch it and try to tackle them before reaching the 1st down marker

feltdizz
04-25-2011, 11:41 AM
no pump on the 2nd Int.

bushmade a great play to snuff it out.

just like clark did with the jennings TD a few plays later. replays showed he diagnosed the play early. only thing was he hesitated for a second (why, i dont know) and it cost him an INT or at least knocking the ball away. the packer DB didnt hesitate and out fought wallace for the ball.

thats the difference of having players in the secondary that can make plays on the ball and one that allows them to catch it and try to tackle them before reaching the 1st down marker

hopefully the new DB coach can get these guys in line because all of our DB's outside of a healthy Troy have a hard time getting their hands on the football.

grotonsteel
04-25-2011, 02:57 PM

Hey! MSM is back!!

Just pulling your chain, brother! :tt1

No problemo... :) :tt2