PDA

View Full Version : buckeyehoppy's Complete 2011 Steeler Mock w/UDFAs

buckeyehoppy
04-18-2011, 01:41 AM
Welcome to the buckeyehoppy 2011 Steelers Mock Draft.

As always, I am ruling out the notion that the Steelers might trade into or out of picks, so my mock will not assume trades. OTOH, I will speculate and say that the likelihood of a trade is increased for all teams this year. Regardless of speculation, I don’t see the Steelers doing much trading of picks, seeing that depth is the biggest concern on their roster at present.

And, typically, the views expressed here will largely be ignored by Kevin Colbert and the Brain Fart Trust. Nevertheless, they are the expressed views of buckeyehoppy, Steeler sycophant extraordinaire!

To review my 2010 Mock, hit up this link: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11601 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=11601)

1.31 (31): Ras-I Dowling, 6’ 1 3/8”, 200#, CB, Virginia
A lot of people have other CBs here and have discounted Dowling because of a propensity to injuries. You’ll need to sue me for ignoring this fact. His style and his overall experience suggest that he is the heir apparent to Ike Taylor and would give the Steelers a much needed cover corner who could start from game one. In fact, he is a more complete player at this position than any other player they may be looking at. Most will look at Dowling as a reach here. Not for what he’ll offer to the Steelers, he isn’t. Dowling is exactly the player the Steelers need at 1.31.

2.31 (63): James Brewer, 6’ 6 ¼”, 323#, T, Indiana
If you did review my 2010 Mock, this will be déjà vu only in a slightly lower spot. The need for the Steelers might be for a G. But, considering that Adams has limited shelf life remaining in his pro career, a choice for a T here with the relative upside of Brewer makes all the sense in the world. Besides, if the Steelers want a short term fix at G, they could do worse than moving Ramon Foster to the inside and seeing what he might look like full-time at RG. Drafting Brewer here and moving Foster to RG immediately strengthens the right side of the OL and might give the Steelers a future option for LT if Brewer can work as an understudy there.

3.31 (95): Ian Williams, 6’ 1 3/8”, 311#, NT, Notre Dame
A solid player against the run and the pass, he would be groomed to be the heir apparent to Big Snack. He is a prototype 3-4 NT with lots of experience against high levels of competition and under the national microscope. He would also address the Steelers need for youth on the DL. Ian Williams, given a year as Hampton’s protégé and taking some reps off of his well-worn knees, could be a fixture on the Steelers DL for a long time to come.

4.31 (128): Alex Henery, 6’ 1 1/8”, 178#, K, Nebraska
buckeyehoppy is not exactly thrilled to be recommending this pick in this spot. OTOH, if the Steelers want him, they will need to take him here. And why wouldn’t they take him? He would be an immediate upgrade at K and could handle the P duties if need be. I don’t think his selection eliminates the need for Seppy. They’ll still need him for KOs and you just don’t take away a P who is as capable as Seppy when he is a team asset. Besides, drafting a K here is important for the security of having someone who is capable in that role. Henery appears to be just the person who can handle this assignment for the Steelers and would be a valuable selection here if he was still on the board

5.31 (162): Justin Boren, 6’ 3”, 315#, G, Ohio State
Really? No kidding? buckeyehoppy likes another Ohio State player (despite the Steelers sterling record in selecting players from the Big “10”s premiere football school in the last year or two). You’ll have to see Boren for what he is and can be. No, he won’t play T at this level. OTOH, the Steelers won’t need him to be a T. What he will be is the understudy for Kemo in his rookie year and his replacement his second. He is a 3 year Big “10” starter at Michigan and Ohio State (go figure) and is a proven asset in all phases of the game. He can cover any interior line position, with particular strength at LG and would be a bargain if he was still available at this spot.

6.31 (196): Chris Prosinski, 6’ 1”, 201#, FS, Wyoming
This kid would be a welcome add to a not very deep S corps. Surprisingly athletic for a FS, he is a ferocious tackler and saw a very aerial game in the pass happy Mountain West. Has lots of upside and could one day be a consideration to assume the role now filled by Ryan Clark. He would be a heady choice by the FO at this position.

7.29 (232): Eddie Jones, 6’ 3”, 260#, OLB, Texas
He doesn’t come with a true NFL position and isn’t really big enough to play 4-3 on the interior line (where some have projected him). Still, Jones has a fabulous motor and a favorable upside for a player who only cracked the starting lineup at Texas in his senior year. Might be valuable for outside depth or as a ST player, where his high energy would be an asset.

Undrafted Free Agents
Dom DeCicco, 6’ 3”, 230#, ILB, Pittsburgh
Played SS at Pitt, but the skill set calls for him to be an ILB in the NFL. Had lots of tackles as a SS, so bringing him inside, where he has decent size, might be a worthwhile project.

Greg Lloyd, 6’ 1”, 246#, ILB, Connecticut
A no-brainer if he is not drafted. Was expected to red-shirt with an injury last year, but played anyway. You have to like legacies of NFL players, especially if they are the sons of past Steeler greats.

Lazarius “Pep” Levingston, 6’ 3 3/8”, 281#, DE, LSU
Would be a good fit for a 3-4 scheme. He might not be much more than depth for the Steelers. But he could be an asset with an aging and injury prone corps at DE.

Justin Roper, 6’ 6”, 218#, QB, Montana
He would be a worthwhile risk to pick up. He’s from a quality DI-AA program and is a transfer from Oregon. Considering the instability of the QB position behind Big Ben, there would be no downside to bringing him for a look.

Mana Silva, 6’ 1”, 206#, SS, Hawai’i
If he isn’t drafted, the Steelers would be nuts not to bring him in. He might also be worth a look if he’s still on the board when the Steelers come on the clock in the 7th.

Jeremiah Masoli, 5’ 10 1/4”, 223#, RB, Oregon
The former Oregon QB would be a project to convert to RB. But the risk could be worth the reward if he turns into an effective 3rd down back.

Ricky Henry, 6’ 2 7/8”, 310#, G, Nebraska
The Steelers need a couple players in to compete for spots at G. Henry comes from a solid program and has the right demeanor to make it in the NFL.

Josh Gatlin, 6’ 1”, 196#, CB, North Dakota State
This is another player from a DI-AA program who shows a lot of upside. A physical and athletic specimen, he would be a low risk, high reward pick up with plenty of position versatility.

steelblood
04-18-2011, 09:22 AM
um, you don't have to move Ramon Foster to RG. He already is the RG.

focosteeler
04-18-2011, 12:47 PM
I like it and especially the Prosinski pick, I had the pleasure of playing with him here at UW... great guy, one of those guys who will work his a$$ off on every play no matter the situation. His sub 4.4 40 yard dash is legit too, I watched him run 4.37 two years ago.

buckeyehoppy
04-18-2011, 01:32 PM

I didn't think he'd been installed at the position permanently. I just double checked and, sure enough, he's the starter... D'OH! That means that the need for a G is somewhat mitigated but is still a concern, especially if Kemo still is starting at LG.

RuthlessBurgher
04-18-2011, 01:38 PM

That was my first thought too. Dude started there during the second half of the year and the run to the Super Bowl.

I also don't understand the "They’ll still need him for KOs" justification for keeping Sepulveda around. Sep kicked off a couple of times during the pre-season, but that's all. For what it's worth, I'm not willing to kick Sepulveda to the curb either, but his kickoff ability is not a reason why...it's his punting ability.

It will be interesting to see what happens with UDFA's this year. Since teams cannot sign them immediately after the draft like usual (have to wait until the lockout ends to sign anyone), I wonder if the UFL is going to sweep in and snatch all of the prime UDFA candidate to a proven paycheck which the NFL is unable to offer during this labor strife.

buckeyehoppy
04-18-2011, 01:47 PM
I like it and especially the Prosinski pick, I had the pleasure of playing with him here at UW... great guy, one of those guys who will work his a$$ off on every play no matter the situation. His sub 4.4 40 yard dash is legit too, I watched him run 4.37 two years ago.

Prosinski just looks like the kind of player who would work for the Steelers. Same with DeCicco in my UDFA pickups. Champions are built with the entire draft, not just Round 1.

There's a lot of fluidity at the bottom of the draft. Day 3 of the draft is totally nuts. Guys who project to the 4th Round don't get picked at all and dudes you never heard of from D-III schools get selected for a specific skill set.

That's why I'm an advocate for a 4 Round draft. That way, teams can address needs with much greater purpose. I'm also an advocate of a 50 man active roster and an extended roster of 80. No camp cuts, no B$. That way, a team really has a good opportunity to take a look at a player for an extended period and, if teams want to give the players PT, the league can institute a limited schedule of "JV" games that the guys on the extended roster can play. It would be a potential money maker for teams and would allow them to take a longer look at the prospects they scout under real game conditions.

buckeyehoppy
04-18-2011, 01:54 PM

That was my first thought too. Dude started there during the second half of the year and the run to the Super Bowl.

I also don't understand the "They’ll still need him for KOs" justification for keeping Sepulveda around. Sep kicked off a couple of times during the pre-season, but that's all. For what it's worth, I'm not willing to kick Sepulveda to the curb either, but his kickoff ability is not a reason why...it's his punting ability.

[b]It will be interesting to see what happens with UDFA's this year. Since teams cannot sign them immediately after the draft like usual (have to wait until the lockout ends to sign anyone), I wonder if the UFL is going to sweep in and snatch all of the prime UDFA candidate to a proven paycheck which the NFL is unable to offer during this labor strife.[b]

That's a good point, RB. I was wondering what the status was on UDFAs following the draft. I suspected that was the case, but wasn't completely sure.

Sepulveda isn't awful to me. The fact that he can't stay healthy is disconcerting. But I wonder how the whole concept of the kicking game can be changed if you have a guy who can do it all: punts, KOs, XPs and FGs. This is something I'm surprised more kicking coaches aren't stressing before guys even get to college.

MeetJoeGreene
04-19-2011, 07:33 AM
That is truly a well-reasoned and researched mock draft that is worthy of laud and serious consideration

focosteeler
04-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Prosinski just looks like the kind of player who would work for the Steelers. Same with DeCicco in my UDFA pickups. Champions are built with the entire draft, not just Round 1.

There's a lot of fluidity at the bottom of the draft. Day 3 of the draft is totally nuts. Guys who project to the 4th Round don't get picked at all and dudes you never heard of from D-III schools get selected for a specific skill set.

That's why I'm an advocate for a 4 Round draft. That way, teams can address needs with much greater purpose. I'm also an advocate of a 50 man active roster and an extended roster of 80. No camp cuts, no B$. That way, a team really has a good opportunity to take a look at a player for an extended period and, if teams want to give the players PT, the league can institute a limited schedule of "JV" games that the guys on the extended roster can play. It would be a potential money maker for teams and would allow them to take a longer look at the prospects they scout under real game conditions.

i dont mean to shift focus from the whole mock to just the one guy but its not every day i get to pimp a UW guy...highlight tape from his time here, (towards the end he has #12 jersey on instead of his normal #24, this to honor a UW player who died earlier this year just a heads up so you dont get confused)

317 tackles in the last 3 years. 5 interceptions and 4 forced fumbles, 20 pass deflections just ran a 4.39 at his pro day with a 11.2 Broad jump and a 39.5 inch vertical.
[youtube:2k1pkgz2]Fa3Sk2JyETc[/youtube:2k1pkgz2]

buckeyehoppy
04-20-2011, 10:15 PM
That is truly a well-reasoned and researched mock draft that is worthy of laud and serious consideration

Your laud and serious consideration of my well-reasoned and researched mock draft is duly noted!

buckeyehoppy
04-20-2011, 10:31 PM

i dont mean to shift focus from the whole mock to just the one guy but its not every day i get to pimp a UW guy...highlight tape from his time here, (towards the end he has #12 jersey on instead of his normal #24, this to honor a UW player who died earlier this year just a heads up so you dont get confused)

317 tackles in the last 3 years. 5 interceptions and 4 forced fumbles, 20 pass deflections just ran a 4.39 at his pro day with a 11.2 Broad jump and a 39.5 inch vertical.
[youtube:326ezuck]Fa3Sk2JyETc[/youtube:326ezuck]

This kid can flat out play, Foco. Knowing the need we have in the DB corps, Prosinski looks like he could step into the Clarkie role w/o much of a learning curve. Even if the Steelers wanted to look at him as a 5th Rounder (at that point, there's a fine line between positive attributes anyway) they would be justified in doing so. We still could use some quality coming off the bench at FS.