PDA

View Full Version : I really want to get this guy so I won't wait 5 round mock

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-17-2011, 03:51 AM
Round 1 - Ras-I Dowling - he is climbing up the boards as nobody knows if Williams is a CB or S. I have not seen anyone take him ahead of 31 though.

Round 2 - Kenrick Ellis - Another draft climber. Heard Mayock say that he might not make it out of the second. I am making sure of that.

Round 3 - Clint Boling - Big school, big size, pushes for starting OG spot.

Round 4 - Julius Thomas - big basketball players know how to get up and take that ball out of the air at it's highest point.

Round 5 - Alex Henery - We need the comfort at Heinz that Reed gave us for many years

StarSpangledSteeler
04-17-2011, 03:55 AM
I think Ras-I is definitely worth the pick at 1.31. But I don't think Boling in the 3rd will solve our OL crisis. We really really really need a tackle, especially if Colon kicks to guard.

steelblood
04-17-2011, 08:21 AM
Dowling and Ellis are big question marks. I like both of them but they have issues with injuries or character. I really like both players though. I especially like Ellis. He is a large guy with fantastic stamina. He is strong late in games and I love that in a future NT. Guys like Taylor are known for wearing out and looking tired on the field. Ellis is that rare mountain man that can see a lot of snaps and still be effective.

Boling isn't really a size guy. He is only of average bulk and strength (and athleticism). His a finesse blocker and a good technician.

Thomas is interesting. Someone may reach for him as early as the third or fourth because of the recent success of guys like Jimmy Graham. But, I don't think he is as good or as ready to play as Graham was. Thomas is also not bulky enough to be an effective blocker yet. He is really a receiving option only at this stage. I would love to add another playmaker to the offense and Thomas is that.

Overall, I'd call that a gambling man's draft. It could really pay off and yield 3-4 future starters. Nice job.

Chadman
04-17-2011, 08:38 AM
Chadman would be surprised if it plays out like that at all.

That said- good effort- well done!!

:D

Chadman
04-17-2011, 08:44 AM
Should probably justify what Chadman said..

Ras-I : Has a pretty extensive injury history. Some will use Heath Miller as an example of the Steelers taking chances on an injured player- but Heath Miller DROPPED leading up to the draft- Ras-I is RISING leading up to the draft. The risk/value doesn't equate & the Steelers don't tend to take 'risks' in Round 1 under Tomlin/Colbert.

Ellis- Character concerns are pretty big with this guy. Low level of competition will balance out his dominance too.

Boling might be a decent pick to be honest.

Same with Thomas- but Chadman feels both Kendricks & DJ Williams are higher on the Steelers list.

Oviedo
04-17-2011, 09:13 AM
I think Ras-I is definitely worth the pick at 1.31. But I don't think Boling in the 3rd will solve our OL crisis. We really really really need a tackle, especially if Colon kicks to guard.

Jah Reid, UCF in Round 4 or 5 would be a great OT pick.

jj28west
04-17-2011, 10:21 AM
"Round 5 - Alex Henery - We need the comfort at Heinz that Reed gave us for many years"
Not that Sushi did bad and was reaching the endzone late in the season but Alex seems to also have some value in handling emergency punting duties which needs to be considered unfortunately with the bad luck Sep has been having.

Even at the round he is being considered I like it.

steelblood
04-17-2011, 10:58 AM
Hey Oviedo,

What is your opinion of Jah Reid? :lol:

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-17-2011, 01:29 PM
Dowling and Ellis are big question marks. I like both of them but they have issues with injuries or character. I really like both players though. I especially like Ellis. He is a large guy with fantastic stamina. He is strong late in games and I love that in a future NT. Guys like Taylor are known for wearing out and looking tired on the field. Ellis is that rare mountain man that can see a lot of snaps and still be effective.

Boling isn't really a size guy. He is only of average bulk and strength (and athleticism). His a finesse blocker and a good technician.

Thomas is interesting. Someone may reach for him as early as the third or fourth because of the recent success of guys like Jimmy Graham. But, I don't think he is as good or as ready to play as Graham was. Thomas is also not bulky enough to be an effective blocker yet. He is really a receiving option only at this stage. I would love to add another playmaker to the offense and Thomas is that.

Overall, I'd call that a gambling man's draft. It could really pay off and yield 3-4 future starters. Nice job.

I really don't have a problem with the Ellis character issues. He changed schools and has not had problems since. It seems that he gave himself a fresh start. Problem children can move geographically but their attitude stays with them.

He apparently addressed his past head on in interviews at the combine and many came away impressed and believing that his character is fine. I also saw an interview with him and he seemed very grounded and down to earth wrt his past problems.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-17-2011, 01:44 PM
Should probably justify what Chadman said..

[quote]Ras-I : Has a pretty extensive injury history. Some will use Heath Miller as an example of the Steelers taking chances on an injured player- but Heath Miller DROPPED leading up to the draft- Ras-I is RISING leading up to the draft. The risk/value doesn't equate & the Steelers don't tend to take 'risks' in Round 1 under Tomlin/Colbert.

Ras-I dropped through the season due to injury. He is rising back up because those in the know are believing that his problems are behind him. The main concern would not be with any lingering injuries, rather it would be whether or not you believe him to be prone to injury. If he is not then his talents put him just behind Peterson and Prince.

Ellis- Character concerns are pretty big with this guy. Low level of competition will balance out his dominance too.

As I said in a previous post, his character is not a concern for me. I believe that he has addressed that.

Boling might be a decent pick to be honest.

Thanks Chadman....one for three so far.

Same with Thomas- but Chadman feels both Kendricks & DJ Williams are higher on the Steelers list.

That was kind of the idea with this mock. Kendricks is considered a second rounder so I eliminated him in the fourth, and Williams is projected somewhere around there so I let him go. It was kind of a worst case scenario if everyone else you want is taken and you can't trade down.
[/quote:3onfjc2f]

hawaiiansteel
04-17-2011, 02:17 PM
I love your draft and would be very happy if things unfolded this way... :Clap

Chadman
04-17-2011, 06:08 PM
I really don't have a problem with the Ellis character issues. He changed schools and has not had problems since. It seems that he gave himself a fresh start. Problem children can move geographically but their attitude stays with them.

Unfortunately for Ellis- this isn't quite true..

In the spring of 2008, however, the Gamecocks first suspended Ellis for the first three games of the following season then dismissed him for repeated violations of team policy (reportedly due to multiple failed drug tests). He transferred to Hampton and stood out as expected, earning second-team All-MEAC honors ....

Ellis did not disappoint as a senior -- 94 tackles, including 34 solo, 15 for loss, two sacks -- repeating first-team All-MEAC honors. However, he tripped another red flag for teams when he was suspended for the first game of the 2010 season

Teams utilizing 3-4 schemes would see him as a first-round talent. But character counts in the NFL, making difficult the prospects of drafting a player with excess baggage before the third round treacherous. Some teams will take him off their board altogether

papillon
04-17-2011, 10:54 PM
"Round 5 - Alex Henery - We need the comfort at Heinz that Reed gave us for many years"
Not that Sushi did bad and was reaching the endzone late in the season but Alex seems to also have some value in handling emergency punting duties which needs to be considered unfortunately with the bad luck Sep has been having.

Henery could provide a 1 for two as in 1 player for two positions and free up a roster spot for a full time offensive player or defensive player. Draft Henery and give him the kicking and punting duties. I liked the Sepulveda pick when the Steelers moved up to get him, but now with a second knee injury in 3 or 4 years he is becoming more and more fragile and prone to injury.

I'm also not certain that he has proven to be worth the pick they traded to go and get him. He's been a good punter, but nothing special, UDFAs and 7th rounders are punting as well or better than Sepulveda.

Pappy

focosteeler
04-18-2011, 12:49 AM

Henery could provide a 1 for two as in 1 player for two positions and free up a roster spot for a full time offensive player or defensive player. Draft Henery and give him the kicking and punting duties. I liked the Sepulveda pick when the Steelers moved up to get him, but now with a second knee injury in 3 or 4 years he is becoming more and more fragile and prone to injury.

I'm also not certain that he has proven to be worth the pick they traded to go and get him. He's been a good punter, but nothing special, UDFAs and 7th rounders are punting as well or better than Sepulveda.

Pappy

I know what you mean but what happens if he gets hurt? Who takes over kicking/punting duties? I have always believed the reason that teams don't have one guy handle both duties is incase an injury happens, with how importanat special teams is you could be screwed unless you have someone who did it in college