PDA

View Full Version : 2011 draft could topple 1983 first-round QB record

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2011, 07:01 PM
this would be the perfect scenario for the Steelers if there were a run on QBs in the first round... :tt2

2011 draft could topple 1983 first-round quarterback record

Posted by Mike Florio on April 16, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/danmarinopitt.jpg?w=175

Greg Cosell’s observation that teams with needs at quarterback could reach for quarterbacks in round one of the draft has caused us to wonder whether the raw number of quarterbacks taken in round one could eclipse the all-time record for first-round quarterbacks.

The high-water mark came in 1983, when six quarterbacks became first-round picks: John Elway, Todd Blackledge, Jim Kelly, Tony Eason, Ken O’Brien, and Dan Marino (pictured).

In 28 years since then, only one class had as many as five. In 1999, Tim Couch, Donovan McNabb, Akili Smith, Daunte Culpepper, and Cade McNown exited the board in round one. All five were picked in the first 12 selections, with the next quarterback — Shaun King — drafted 38 spots later.

Four quarterbacks were drafted in the first round of three other drafts. In 1987, Vinny Testaverde, Kelly Stouffer, Chris Miller, and Jim Harbaugh were picked in the first round. In 2003, it was Carson Palmer, Byron Leftwich, Kyle Boller, and Rex Grossman. Most recently, Eli Manning, Philip Rivers, Ben Roethlisberger, and J.P. Losman entered the league via round one in 2004.

In 2011, the number of prospects coupled with the teams that have needs at the position could result in up to seven first-round quarterbacks being taken. Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert are regarded as sure-fire top-ten picks. Thereafter, one or more of the next five quarterbacks could be picked in round one: Jake Locker, Ryan Mallett, Christian Ponder, Andy Dalton, and Colin Kaepernick.

The fact that at least eleven teams reasonably need a quarterback could push the total closer to seven than two first-rounders. The Panthers, Bills, Bengals, Cardinals, 49ers, Titans, Redskins, Vikings, Dolphins, Jaguars, and Seahawks all could be poised to draft a quarterback. Though several of those teams pick way too high to justify taking anyone other than Newton or Gabbert, they could trade back into round one — or trade down — to get the guy they want.

That said, several factors counsel against a run on quarterbacks. As Rosenthal pointed out the other day regarding the assessment of Bucs G.M. Mark Dominik that five or six quarterbacks could be taken in round one, there likely aren’t five or six true first-round quarterbacks in the draft pool. And it’s increasingly obvious that teams not in need of a quarterback are trying to create a feeding frenzy, with the Patriots kicking tires on Jake Locker and the Colts supposedly looking at possible long-term replacements for Peyton Manning and the Saints bringing in Andy Dalton, who has generated an uncanny amount of interest in recent weeks.

Put simply, the teams that don’t need quarterbacks want the teams that need quarterbacks to take them early, pushing down the board the players that the teams that don’t need quarterbacks want.

Perhaps the biggest thing keeping teams from taking a chance in round one on a quarterback who may not really be a first-rounder is the lockout. With possibly no meaningful chance to get the rookie ready to play in 2011, how can drafting a quarterback in the first round truly address the need in 2011?

Even if the lockout wipes out the offseason training programs, training camp, and the preseason, coaches will need to be ready to compete and win. No matter how long the lockout lasts, Jerry Glanville’s interpretation of the letters in NFL — “not for long” — will continue to apply to the teams that fail in 2011.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... ck-record/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/16/2011-draft-could-topple-1983-first-round-quarterback-record/)

hawaiiansteel
04-16-2011, 07:16 PM
NFL Draft Rumors and Buzz: April 16, 2011

Below, you can find various tidbits of NFL Draft rumors and information offered by Mel Kiper and Adam Schefter via Twitter. I'll be tweeting other rumors at @walterfootball.

Adam Schefter: There's too much pressure on the Dolphins' coaching staff to win now for them to take a quarterback early.

Adam Schefter: It's not the Steelers' style to trade up (to get Mike Pouncey).

Adam Schefter: Donovan McNabb would like to play for the Vikings.

Adam Schefter: In my opinion, Cam Newton goes to Carolina at No. 1.

Adam Schefter: One GM told me, "Cam Newton won't make it past 3."

Adam Schefter: The Patriots didn't stockpile picks to go quarterback early.

Mel Kiper: Four quarterbacks will go in the first round. Maybe five. Definitely Cam Newton and Blaine Gabbert. The others: Jake Locker, Andy Dalton and Christian Ponder.

Mel Kiper: Ryan Mallett could go in the first round, but I'd say early second - maybe to Tennessee.

http://www.walterfootball.com/pathtothe ... 1_0416.php (http://www.walterfootball.com/pathtothedraft2011_0416.php)

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-17-2011, 12:35 AM
It will not happen that 6 go. The teams in need of a QB are going to realize that the talent is not there for these guys to go so early.

Eventually they will look around and notice that there are far too many question marks to waste a first round pick on some of these guys.

Then they will look around and see players like Kevin Kolb, or a cheaper guy in Shaun Hill or Byron Leftwich, Jon Kitna.....a stop gap until next year's draft.

Notleadpoisoned
04-17-2011, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't draft Ryan "Leaf" Mallett in any round let alone in the first.

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2011, 01:35 PM

Wasn't there someone on this board who was advocating that we trade away Ben last offseason (following all the Milledgeville turmoil) in exchange for 2011 draft pick(s) so that we could draft Ryan Mallett, since he was going be as good as, if not better than, Ben anyway? :lol: I don't remember who it was, though...just the absurdity of it all.

Shoe
04-17-2011, 03:52 PM
Interesting, in that I personally think NONE of them are star material (worthy of a 1st round pick anyway)... and certainly not in the '83 draft classes status. I think it's actually a pretty weak year for QB's coming out.

Notleadpoisoned
04-17-2011, 07:11 PM

Wasn't there someone on this board who was advocating that we trade away Ben last offseason (following all the Milledgeville turmoil) in exchange for 2011 draft pick(s) so that we could draft Ryan Mallett, since he was going be as good as, if not better than, Ben anyway? :lol: I don't remember who it was, though...just the absurdity of it all.
That's nuts. :wft

BTW, I'm not a Brian Billick fan whatsoever but when it comes to Mallett I have to agree with him on this one..

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-0 ... k-arkansas (http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/2011-04-14/sports/sfl-ryan-mallett-leaf-billick-rose-041411_1_ryan-mallett-franchise-quarterback-arkansas)

RuthlessBurgher
04-17-2011, 09:17 PM
Interesting, in that I personally think NONE of them are star material (worthy of a 1st round pick anyway)... and certainly not in the '83 draft classes status. I think it's actually a pretty weak year for QB's coming out.

:Agree

Although if Andrew Luck came out this year, he would have been the unquestioned #1 overall pick, and everyone else would be considered second tier type guys.

Chadman
04-17-2011, 10:18 PM
It'll be good for the 'Trade Down Steelers' types if there is a run on QB's.

The fact that so many QB's are even closely considered as possible 1st round picks out of this group shows that the current stable of NFL QB's are getting close to recycling age- Manning, Brady, McNabb, Hasselback, Favre (gone already) etc. It's not necessarily an indication of the current rookie crop's strength as it is a sign of a changing of the guard coming upon us.

The Steelers could be well placed with Ben at QB for the foreseeable future- he's experienced, knows the system & is surrounded by quality talent. Steelers should be competitive for a few years yet, and with these newbies still having to find their NFL feet, that's a big advantage for the Steelers.