PDA

View Full Version : Could Delayed Free Agency Drive Up Ike Taylor's Price Tag?

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2011, 03:23 PM
Could Delayed Free Agency Drive The Price Tag Up On Ike Taylor?

http://steelerstoday.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/iketaylor.jpg

The 2011 NFL Draft will take place just two weeks from today and it looks almost certain that the free agency signing period, if there is one, will take place after the draft. During a normal offseason the signing of the bulk of the higher profile free agent players has already taken place and teams can then fill in their needs and holes on the roster on draft day. This year it looks like the process will be flip-flopped and several teams will be forced to draft blind so to speak, not knowing the status of their own free agents as well as others. The Steelers certainly fall into this area with their highest profile free agent, cornerback Ike Taylor.

Since the end of the 2010 season optimism has been pretty high that Taylor will be re-signed whenever the free agency period begins as the word is that he wants to stay in Pittsburgh and the Steelers indeed want him back. Taylor started the offseason in the bottom top 10 of possible free agent cornerbacks, but since then several ranked ahead of him have been either re-signed or tendered contracts from their 2010 team. The biggest names that have re-signed are Champ Bailey, Ronde Barber and Stanford Routt. The biggest names that have been tendered are Brandon Carr and Brent Grimes. While there still could be some surprises with the tendered players depending on how the new CBA works out, it appears on the surface that these tendered players will back with their current teams. If you were to cross Bailey, Barber, Routt, Carr and Grimes off the available free agent corner list, you are left with Nnamdi Asomugha, Johnathan Joseph, Chris Carr, Antonio Cromartie and Taylor as the top free agents available at the position. Asomugha is easily the number one on the list, but the order of the others is surely debatable.

There are several teams that will likely address the corner position somewhere in the first two rounds of the draft, but what if they fail to get the player they most covet or the player they do draft needs a year or two to develop? Some of those teams that need corner help may decide to sign a veteran free agent regardless as a one or two year fix to fill a need if they think their roster is close to making a run at a championship. Lastly, what if there is no salary cap in 2011 and free spending teams are allowed to spend at will? Could all of this combined drive up the price tag on Taylor and the others? It certainly could.

History has taught us that the higher profile cornerbacks are highly sought after in free agency and the going rate this offseason seems to be around 10 million a season for 3 years with 20 million guaranteed. Could the supply and demand coupled with a few bad drafts drive that number up around 13-14 million for 3 years with 25 million guaranteed? It certainly could in my opinion. The Steelers chief contract negotiator Omar Khan is one of, if not the best, at structuring cap friendly deals, but guaranteed money is guaranteed money and Taylor is certainly looking for his last secure pay-day. He has been great in the past at restructuring his contracts to help the Steelers accommodate other contracts in the past and now will likely expect to be rewarded for it. In addition, Taylor now gets to wait and see how the Steelers draft goes and if they are available to draft a top future corner in the earlier rounds. He indeed could be in position of holding the pen to the Steelers checkbook should the draft not go the Steelers way.

Taylor is not often mentioned in discussions of shutdown cornerbacks, but he has helped the Steelers to two Super Bowl championships and nearly a third one. That counts for something on his resume. Even though Taylor will turn 31 shortly after the draft, he has not shown any signs of slowing down and has not had a checkered injury history in addition. He continues to train with Tom Shaw down in Florida during the offseason and there is no reason to think he can't play at the same level he has played for at least two more years. He also is viewed as a good locker room guy and has not been a trouble maker. All of this combined makes him an acceptable risk as a free agent as teams know what they are getting with him.

This morning Ed Bouchette wrote that the Texans could make a run at Taylor if free agency ever arrives. Bouchette also noted that Houston is very close to his home town of New Orleans. If indeed the interest is true, you have to think a few other teams are interested as well. Let's face it, who would you go after if you were a GM of a team with a corner need once Asomugha is signed? Joseph in my opinion is hugely over-rated and Cromartie is a train wreck waiting to happen. Taylor is the best of the rest available after Asomugha in my opinion and the Steelers indeed might not be able to compete should teams get into a bidding war over him. The Steelers certainly need Taylor back for at least one more season, but if the price tag climbs because of the unique post draft free agency period this offseason and Ike refuses to give a home team discount, he could indeed be in another uniform if the 2011 season takes place. Let's hope not.

POSTED BY DAVE BRYAN ON THURSDAY, APRIL 14, 2011

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/co ... ke-taylor/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/could-delayed-free-agency-drive-the-price-tag-up-on-ike-taylor/)

feltdizz
04-14-2011, 03:28 PM
No.

The Steelers have the best front 7 in football. I think Steeler fans over rate the shut down capabilities of Ike.

Is Ike good? Yes...
Is he one of the best corners in the game? No

Will a team over pay for his services? I doubt it.

hawaiiansteel
04-14-2011, 03:33 PM

problem is, it only takes one team like the CB starved Texans to do it...

Chadman
04-14-2011, 05:51 PM
Is Ike a 'shut down' CB?

Probably not.

Will he get overpaid by someone?

Probably.

Will it be the Steelers?

Most likely.

One thing Chadman can't work out is why Carlos Rogers isn't included in the top FA CB list- he's Ike Taylor without the Steelers front 7...

NJ-STEELER
04-14-2011, 06:11 PM
the more uncertainty about Ike the more we'll look to draft a corner in the 1st round.

i cant imagine how bad we would look back there without him and doubt we would shell out big money for another free agent

BradshawsHairdresser
04-14-2011, 11:53 PM
I know many of you think it's a cinch he will remain in the Black and Gold, but I'm not feeling good about it at all at this point. I don't think the Steelers will want to spend what he will demand once the offers start rolling his way. I'll say it again...the Steelers whiffed on this one. They should have extended Ike a year ago.

Shawn
04-15-2011, 01:29 AM
No.

The Steelers have the best front 7 in football. I think Steeler fans over rate the shut down capabilities of Ike.

Is Ike good? Yes...

I think Ike is highly underrated. We haven't had a DB as good as Ike since the days of Woodson. He has shut down some seriously talented DBs over the years. When does he get burnt? What more can Steelers fans expect from a top DB besides INTs?

flippy
04-15-2011, 09:09 AM
The more this thing drags out, it'll drive down FA price tags imho. Guys won't have time to work with teams/coaches to contribute to new systems, so they'll have the most value to their current teams.

If Ike had ball awareness and could play the ball, he'd be considered the best CB in the league. He can run with and cover anyone from the speed guys to the size guys. And he's a terrific run supporter/tackler in space. He's perfect in our system.

Oviedo
04-15-2011, 09:25 AM
No.

Is Ike good? Yes...

I think Ike is highly underrated. We haven't had a DB as good as Ike since the days of Woodson. He has shut down some seriously talented DBs over the years. When does he get burnt? What more can Steelers fans expect from a top DB besides INTs?

I couldn't agree more. Remove Ike from a our CB group and you have the Keystone Cops.

Ike doesn't have great hands but you don't see QBs challenging his side of the field when you have the bumbling, stumbling fools in Bmac, Gay, Lewis and most of all Madison on the field.

Still amazes me that we have a Def Coord who is a HoF DB and we can't develop DBs.

steelblood
04-15-2011, 09:42 AM
With today's rules, Ike talylor has played very well. If he had good hands, he might be an all pro.

ikestops85
04-15-2011, 10:57 AM
I certainly like Ike but he has had his ups and downs. In 2009 I think Ike was as bad as Gay was. Granted, they threw more towards Gay's side but Ike didn't seem to get the D off the field in third down situations either.

That said Ike was very good last year. I think with Ike it all depends on his confidence. When he has it he is a very good corner ... when he doesn't have it he is pedestrian.

I actually see a lot of Ike in Gay coverage wise. Gay seems to be very good in coverage until his guy gets a couple of short catches. Then he seems to deflate and becomes very hesitant in his decision making. That's when he gets burned. Ike was a lot like that when he was young. However, Ike is a far superior tackler than Gay is.

I think people are too hard on Gay. Ike had a few years mostly sitting on the bench before getting thrown into the fire. Gay still has time to improve and I think he will. While losing Ike would hurt I don't think it is the doom and gloom like other here are predicting.

feltdizz
04-15-2011, 11:02 AM
No.

Is Ike good? Yes...

Ike isn't underrated. Ike is OUR best corner... but look at the rest of our DB's outside of Troy. Not really much to brag about.

Ike can tackle well, he had an awesome 2008 but in 2009 and 2010 I think Ike was burnt pretty good.

Buffalo game.. Ike was toast. Our D is set up to keep all the DB's from getting burnt deep but plenty of games Ike was beat easily for first downs.

I think a team like the Texans may take a chance on Ike but you will see him get burnt more often because they don't get pressure like we do. Any time our defense was abused by QB's the lack of pressure was to blame. If a team is going to pay shut down money Ike will be on a real island without the Lebeau zone blitz to confuse QB's.

I don't dislike Ike... I just think he will get exposed if he leaves Pittsburgh.

feltdizz
04-15-2011, 11:09 AM
I certainly like Ike but he has had his ups and downs. In 2009 I think Ike was as bad as Gay was. Granted, they through more towards Gay's side but Ike didn't seem to get the D off the field in third down situations either.

That said Ike was very good last year. I think with Ike it all depends on his confidence. When he has it he is a very good corner ... when he doesn't have it he is pedestrian.

I actually see a lot of Ike in Gay coverage wise. Gay seems to be very good in coverage until his guy gets a couple of short catches. Then he seems to deflate and becomes very hesitant in his decision making. That's when he gets burned. Ike was a lot like that when he was young. However, Ike is a far superior tackler than Gay is.

I think people are too hard on Gay. Ike had a few years mostly sitting on the bench before getting thrown into the fire. Gay still has time to improve and I think he will. While losing Ike would hurt I don't think it is the doom and gloom like other here are predicting.

Ike is great in our system... but without our scheme I'm hesitant to label Ike as a shut down corner. If he is asked to play bump and run on the outside he may run with the WR but will he see the ball? While it's great to be cover the WR Ike is still blind when it comes to ball recognition.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-15-2011, 11:43 AM
You want to see if he is underrated or overrated? See what happens if he leaves.

Is Ike a shutdown corner? I'd say no but I would also say that there are only about 2 or 3 guys in the league who could legitimately be called "shutdown".

But he is a guy who is given the responsibility of being the primary caretaker of the opposition's top guy. Doesn't matter who we play, he often gets one on one duties and sometimes gets over the top help, but always gets the #1 guy.

He is a guy who can step in and shut down the outside in the run game. Not only does our front 7 do a great job of containing the run game, but when the RB can break that contain we still rarely give up the big 50 yard run. That is because CBs like Ike and BMac are there to take on and take down the RB.

In my opinion we are in very bad shape if we let him go.

pittpete
04-15-2011, 12:36 PM
Let him test the waters, if he goes he goes.
Everyone can be replaced.
We will survive, great franchises always do.
Money isn't everything, playing for the best franchise in sports is.

RuthlessBurgher
04-15-2011, 12:44 PM
Let him test the waters, if he goes he goes.
Everyone can be replaced.
We will survive, great franchises always do.
Money isn't everything, playing for the best franchise in sports is.

http://www.myteespot.com/images/Images_d/DSCF7334.jpg

feltdizz
04-15-2011, 01:05 PM
You want to see if he is underrated or overrated? See what happens if he leaves.

Is Ike a shutdown corner? I'd say no but I would also say that there are only about 2 or 3 guys in the league who could legitimately be called "shutdown".

But he is a guy who is given the responsibility of being the primary caretaker of the opposition's top guy. Doesn't matter who we play, he often gets one on one duties and sometimes gets over the top help, but always gets the #1 guy.

He is a guy who can step in and shut down the outside in the run game. Not only does our front 7 do a great job of containing the run game, but when the RB can break that contain we still rarely give up the big 50 yard run. That is because CBs like Ike and BMac are there to take on and take down the RB.

Ike is our best CB but our other CB's aren't all that great.

If we lost Ike the drop off would not be nearly as bad as you believe.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-15-2011, 04:25 PM

If we lost Ike the drop off would not be nearly as bad as you believe.

Doesn't your argument contradict itself? You say that the rest of our CBs are not good but if we lost Ike that the dropoff is not that bad?

I think that BMac/Gay is much worse than Ike/Bmac. BMac on a team's best WR would require constant double teaming. Gay on anyone requires help as well. Who is our nickel going to be? Madison? Lewis? Butler?

Ike is our best CB but our other CB's aren't all that great.

feltdizz
04-15-2011, 06:07 PM
I think our CB's are the weakest link on our team since we got a new OL coach and Pouncey. Ike is the best of an average bunch.

I don't think the drop off would be huge because I don't think our CB's are the key to our D. Its all about the front 7 getting pressure and the QB being confused. When a QB has time or isn't rattled by Lebeau Ike gets burned just like Gay and Bmac.

They said we would be screwed when Peezy left, they said we would be screwed when Ben was out for 4 games. We thought we would be screwed when Pouncey went down or when Holmes was sent packing. Another guy will step in and it will be business as usual. Its not like Ike has Woodson or Troy talent that can impact the outcome of a game. Ike is a fast defender who can tackle but he has horrible ball hawking skills. IMO that really hurts his stock.

pittpete
04-16-2011, 09:10 PM
Ike is a fast defender who can tackle but he has horrible ball hawking skills. IMO that really hurts his stock.
http://www.worldofstock.com/slides/CON1210.jpg

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-17-2011, 03:34 AM
I think our CB's are the weakest link on our team since we got a new OL coach and Pouncey. Ike is the best of an average bunch.

I don't think the drop off would be huge because I don't think our CB's are the key to our D. Its all about the front 7 getting pressure and the QB being confused. When a QB has time or isn't rattled by Lebeau Ike gets burned just like Gay and Bmac.

They said we would be screwed when Peezy left, they said we would be screwed when Ben was out for 4 games. We thought we would be screwed when Pouncey went down or when Holmes was sent packing. Another guy will step in and it will be business as usual. Its not like Ike has Woodson or Troy talent that can impact the outcome of a game. Ike is a fast defender who can tackle but he has horrible ball hawking skills. IMO that really hurts his stock.

I agree that our CBs are the weakest part of our D. The problem with going BMac/Gay is that you force our front 7 to be perfect on every pass play. There is no margin for error. Sack on first, sack on second, don't get to the QB right away on third down and it is all for naught. No room for error. Maybe it is because either BMac or Gay lets one of the starters get away, or maybe it is because either Butler or Lewis can't stick with the slot guy. You now must keep Troy in coverage which gives the QB one less thing to worry about....added comfort if you will - and the DL 3-4 D is not meant to give the QB added comfort.

feltdizz
04-18-2011, 09:49 AM

I agree that our CBs are the weakest part of our D. The problem with going BMac/Gay is that you force our front 7 to be perfect on every pass play. There is no margin for error. Sack on first, sack on second, don't get to the QB right away on third down and it is all for naught. No room for error. Maybe it is because either BMac or Gay lets one of the starters get away, or maybe it is because either Butler or Lewis can't stick with the slot guy. You now must keep Troy in coverage which gives the QB one less thing to worry about....added comfort if you will - and the DL 3-4 D is not meant to give the QB added comfort.

Our front 7 has to be perfect on every play WITH Ike Taylor in the line up!!!!