PDA

View Full Version : 49ers Could Be Interested In Steelers QB Dennis Dixon?

hawaiiansteel
04-13-2011, 03:11 PM
49ers Could Be Interested In Steelers QB Dennis Dixon?

http://img3.yardbarker.com/media/e/1/e1d1ba4bce560e732c136bf436a95581ff1b6a9c/related/Oakland_Raiders_v_d33c.jpg?stamp=1302714013

Pro Football Weekly hears that another potential free-agent quarterback who might appeal to the 49ers is the Steelers' Dennis Dixon. If the free agency rules are retained from the last CBA, Dixon would be a restricted free agent, meaning the Steelers get the right of first refusal and in Dixon's case, a fifth-round choice if he signs with another team. Dixon, the former Oregon star, is fully recovered from a severe knee injury he incurred in college. However, if Dixon was really impressive, the Steelers would have protected him more.

Source: Pro Football Weekly

Oviedo
04-13-2011, 03:53 PM
If true, trade him 1 second after the lock out ends!!!!!!!!! Take whatever we can get. Maybe some crab or salmon...anything!!!!

steeler_george
04-13-2011, 04:52 PM
I would be up to trade him too.

But this author is just bsing. There is no mention of his injury last year that placed him on IR.

NJ-STEELER
04-13-2011, 05:52 PM
does he want him to start and then tank the season, so they can finish last and draft his boy Luck

Discipline of Steel
04-13-2011, 06:28 PM
If its a 2nd or 3rd then maybe but the likely 6th rounder wouldnt get me to do it. He has shown promise and we used all 4 QBs last year.

steelblood
04-13-2011, 06:36 PM
we can't trade him when the lockout ends because he is not under contract with us. We could only trade him if he signed an RFA tender with us after the lockout ends.

Djfan
04-13-2011, 06:39 PM
I suggested that he is just trade fodder last season. Pull that trigger.

steelz09
04-13-2011, 08:24 PM
Trade him for a 5th.

Then use one of their 5th round picks and a 3rd or 4th to move up and get Mike Pouncey :)

Chadman
04-13-2011, 08:38 PM
No need to fight to keep Dixon with Ben, Lefty & Batch being one of, if not the best QB depth charts in the NFL.

Dixon to the 49ers might not be a bad match. Harbaugh has a history pf making use of mobile QB's....

NJ-STEELER
04-13-2011, 08:57 PM
players cant be traded anyway with the current lockout

just picks

fordfixer
04-13-2011, 11:44 PM
players cant be traded anyway with the current lockout

just picks

So trade a 5th round pick for a player to be named later :D

proudpittsburgher
04-14-2011, 12:35 PM
I don't know Byron Leftwich personally, but I think this time around he seems content as the backup to Ben, and likely one for many years, collecting a paycheck for holding a clipboard. Batch may not be playing much longer, but unless we use Dennis Dixon more regularily in our offense alongside Ben, there just isn't any future in it, for us or for him. If you can get a fifth or a sixth, take it and run. I don't think anyone on this board fears letting him walk and watching him lightup the league after he goes.

Discipline of Steel
04-18-2011, 06:17 PM
Im dubious of discarding him already. He has had a few years to learn, a couple starts and wasnt terrible. Led us to a win vs Atlanta and started another win vs Tennessee. I think Dixon still has a higher ceiling than Batch or Lefty, who are similar, steady veterans with no mobility. Dixon brings something else to the table thats not common and id prefer to see him on the roster rather than two older dudes. What if Batch is planning to retire, then do you want him? We used 4 QBs last year.

Oviedo
04-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Im dubious of discarding him already. He has had a few years to learn, a couple starts and wasnt terrible. Led us to a win vs Atlanta and started another win vs Tennessee. I think Dixon still has a higher ceiling than Batch or Lefty, who are similar, steady veterans with no mobility. Dixon brings something else to the table thats not common and id prefer to see him on the roster rather than two older dudes. What if Batch is planning to retire, then do you want him? We used 4 QBs last year.

Can Batch afford to retire with his financial issues?

I don't see what you see in Dixon. I see a good athlete who can't read an NFL defense after 3+ years in the system. He had his development time and I doubt he gets better. I'd bring in someone else and if someone was going to give up a Round 5-7 pick for Dixon I'd jump on that.

ikestops85
04-19-2011, 10:12 AM

Can Batch afford to retire with his financial issues?

I don't see what you see in Dixon. I see a good athlete who can't read an NFL defense after 3+ years in the system. He had his development time and I doubt he gets better. I'd bring in someone else and if someone was going to give up a Round 5-7 pick for Dixon I'd jump on that.

I don't see why you would say that O. How many starts has the guy had? There is no way that you can do a decent evaluation of Dixon given what we have seen so far. Given your criteria we would have gotten rid of Bradshaw before he started helping us win Super Bowls. Drew Brees never set the world on fire either in his first few years.

I think the success Ben had when he came into the league has spoiled Steeler fans. It is rare that a QB comes into the league and makes an impact. The old adage was to give the QB 3 to 5 years on the bench before playing them. Now we want them successful immediately and if they aren't they are considered failures.

I don't know if Dixon is going to be good or not. I just know we have a lot of time and energy invested in him and I think it would be stupid to just throw it away. If someone offers you a decent draft pick for the guy then you have to consider it but I wouldn't be in such a hurry to jetison Dixon. He just might come into his own.

Chadman
04-19-2011, 06:03 PM
If it's true that there is potential interest from the 49ers, then for Dixon's sake, Chadman hopes he takes the opportunity.

Really- what are the options here? Dennis- you have 2 choices...you can be the back-up to the back-up to Ben Roethlisberger for...the next 5 to 6 years...OR...you get a chance at starting & starters money over in San Fran..... what'll it be Son?

Pretty sure Chadman knows what choice he'd make...

Discipline of Steel
04-19-2011, 07:36 PM
True, he could just bolt...not certain what all the recent CBA mess means in this negotiation. It has yet to play out and the key will be in the yet to be determined details i believe. Again, I hope the stars align to where he can stay.