PDA

View Full Version : A Possible Steeler Sleeper Pick?

StarSpangledSteeler
04-12-2011, 06:45 PM
There's a very interesting linebacker in this year's draft that a lot of people are not talking about. He's 6'-1 1/2", 250 pounds, 33" arms, and runs a 4.43 forty (fastest for any LB at the combine in a decade). He was the WAC defensive player of the year in 2009, and all-WAC 2010. His stats are... 2008: 50 tackles, 17.5 TFL, 11.5 sacks. 2009: 61 tackles, 20 TFL, 6.5 sacks. 2010: 61 tackles, 22 TFL, 8.5 sacks, 2 FF. He plays every game and has high production on the field. He's a very high character kid, upbeat personality, hard worker, team leader.

His name is Dontay Moch (Nevada).

He's projected to go in the 3rd or 4th round, mainly because he's a tweener type without a real position. He started out playing safety at Nevada, but then they moved him to DE. Scouts don't really know where to put him. Some are calling him a 3-4 OLB because of his burst, others are saying he's a 4-3 OLB because of his range. After seeing the Timmons experiment, I actually think we could draft this guy to play ILB. (Just hear me out...)

I've watched this guy play and I can tell you, while he's still a bit raw, that kind of speed can overcome so many flaws. He makes splash plays, where others cannot. He has experience playing DE, so he knows how to get to the QB, but he is also a very good run tackler. He's a decent block-shedder, and fills the gap very quickly, and can chase down ANYBODY on the edge. Over the years, the big thing the Steelers miss with their ILB's is the ability to run with these fast TE's, and crossing route WR's. Having experience at safety should help the adjustment tremendously. This is just the type of guy Tomlin and Colbert "surprise" us with.

Thoughts?

Chadman
04-12-2011, 06:50 PM
Sold.

If you get the opportunity to get a player who has that 'splash play' ability in say, round 4- why not grab him- regardless of position or need?

StarSpangledSteeler
04-12-2011, 07:27 PM
This is one of those times when I embrace the Chadman montra of "Go BPA or Go home". From a talent, character, and production standpoint, Moch is not a risk. The question is... Can he transition effectively to ILB?... It's actually very similar to the Timmons situation (except this is nowhere near a mid 1st round pick). If it worked once, let's do it again.

This is also one of those times when it would pay off to trade back (our 1.31) into the 2nd round to acquire an extra pick or two, as many have suggested.

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2011, 08:19 PM
Dontay Moch would be a great pick!

The Sodfather
04-13-2011, 06:39 AM
He's got Al Davis written all over him. :lol:

steelerkeylargo
04-13-2011, 10:03 AM
http://thenationalfootballreport.com/20 ... ntay-moch/ (http://thenationalfootballreport.com/2011/03/23/2011-nfl-draft-profile-dontay-moch/)

RuthlessBurgher
04-13-2011, 10:13 AM
The only problem is that I don't think Moch will be available anywhere near our 4th round pick (128th overall). I think he could come off the board in the late 2nd or early 3rd.

Dee Dub
04-13-2011, 04:50 PM
There's a very interesting linebacker in this year's draft that a lot of people are not talking about....

Not so. After he blew the doors off his 40 time at the combine there were a lot of people talking about him. He is no longer a sleeper or secret.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-13-2011, 06:26 PM
There's a very interesting linebacker in this year's draft that a lot of people are not talking about....

Not so. After he blew the doors off his 40 time at the combine there were a lot of people talking about him. He is no longer a sleeper or secret.

Well, no one on this board is. Some people here are sold on Colin McCarthy. :)

steelblood
04-13-2011, 06:42 PM

I don't even think he was a surprise at the combine. Everyone knew he'd run fast. In fact, I saw him much higher in mock drafts before the college season.