PDA

View Full Version : Phil Taylor is visiting the Steelers today

PSU_dropout43
04-12-2011, 01:22 PM
Defensive prospect visits Steelers
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Phil Taylor, a huge defensive tackle from Baylor, is visiting the Steelers today. A possible first-round draft choice, Taylor weighs 330 pounds and stands a little over 6-foot-3.

Also, Marshall linebacker Mario Harvey is scheduled for a visit to the Steelers, according to the National Football Post.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11102/11 ... z1JKYZPu54 (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11102/1138794-100.stm#ixzz1JKYZPu54)

Oviedo
04-12-2011, 01:35 PM
This is a player I would trade up for.

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2011, 01:48 PM
Top character questions

Baylor NT Phil Taylor ó Transferred out of Penn State after being suspended for fighting and developed a reputation as a lazy underachiever with questionable work habits who is chasing a big payday. He has tended to report to camp overweight and out of shape and questions remain about whether he has the mental toughness to play in the NFL's trenches. The need for massive big bodies could allow him to fit into the back of the first round, but evaluators maintain that he is not deserving of more than a third-round grade and will struggle living up to expectations in the NFL.

Shawn
04-12-2011, 02:39 PM
Phil Taylor from a talent perspective is a guy I would trade up to get. But, with all the other questions I just don't see the Steelers doing it. I don't think they will move up in round one unless Pouncey or Sherrod are in striking distance. I highly suspect they may trade back to the high second and up in round two.

If the Steelers landed Hudson and Dowling, I would be a happy man.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-12-2011, 03:09 PM
Top character questions

Baylor NT Phil Taylor ó developed a reputation as a lazy underachiever with questionable work habits who is chasing a big payday. He has tended to report to camp overweight and out of shape.

Hmmmm. Sounds like someone we know...

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2011, 03:51 PM
Top character questions

Baylor NT Phil Taylor ó developed a reputation as a lazy underachiever with questionable work habits who is chasing a big payday. He has tended to report to camp overweight and out of shape.

Hampton may have come to camp overweight and out of shape, but no one has ever accused him of being a lazy overaching with questionable work habits who is chasing a big payday. Come game day, Big Snack always brought it consistently, unlike his former Longhorn partner in crime Shaun Rogers. Taylor reminds me more of Rogers than Hampton (including physically...Taylor is a taller NT like Rogers...a few inches taller than Casey).

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2011, 10:43 PM
View From The Press Box

An intriguing visitor

April 12th, 2011

Iím not sure how much significance to place on the 30 visits from out of town college prospects that teams are allowed to host in advance of the draft.

The Steelers brought in center Maurkice Pouncey last year, he blew them away with his football aptitude and they used the 18th overall pick on the former Florida standout.

Worked out OK for them.

A year earlier the Steelers didnít fly defensive end Ziggy Hood to Pittsburgh for a visit but took him with their first-round pick, No. 32 overall. The reason the Steelers didnít need to meet with Hood again so close to the draft? They were already sold on him as a player and person.

I guess the point Iím trying to make is that it is best not to read too much into what players the Steelers bring to Pittsburgh.

I will, however, say that serious Steelers fans (is that redundant?) had to be perk up when they read or heard that the teamís first visitor of the week was Baylor defensive tackle Phillip Taylor.

Taylor is ticketed to play nose tackle in the NFL, and the position that is a vital one in a 3-4 defense is also one the Steelers need to address sooner rather than later.

Casey Hampton and Chris Hoke, his primary backup at nose tackle, have played a combined 19 seasons in the NFL. Both are on the wrong side of 30, and Hoke will be a free agent when NFL business resumes while Hampton has two years left on his contract.

The Steelers need to find Hamptonís eventual successor, and making that more difficult is the trend in which more teams are playing 3-4 defenses.

That reality has no doubt enhanced Taylorís value, and the Steelers might not get a crack at him since they donít make their first pick in the draft until No. 31. Taylor, who spent Tuesday at the Steelers' practice facility, may be long gone by then.

Even if that is the case the Steelers need to make nose tackle a priority in this draft and consider taking one early.

http://burgh.us/42f

aggiebones
04-12-2011, 11:13 PM
Top character questions

Hampton may have come to camp overweight and out of shape, but no one has ever accused him of being a lazy overaching with questionable work habits who is chasing a big payday. Come game day, Big Snack always brought it consistently, unlike his former Longhorn partner in crime Shaun Rogers. Taylor reminds me more of Rogers than Hampton (including physically...Taylor is a taller NT like Rogers...a few inches taller than Casey).

You nailed it Ruth. He sounds like Rodgers, not Hampton.
All NT tend to have their issues. But Hampton is not lazy. Rodgers has been bouncing between crappy teams cause no real contender wants him poisening the water.

PSU_dropout43
04-13-2011, 12:11 PM
Jim Wexell draft tweets -

I think the NYJ draft Taylor in the 1st. If not, Steelers will pass. Won't take a NT in the first with Casey still playing so well.

To answer a couple of questions, no, Steelers won't draft Phil Taylor in the 1st, not with Casey playing well and taking care of his body.

Not sure if CB like Harris, even Williams, lasts to 31, but this morning at SCI I whittled it down to Heyward or Sherrod.

Dee Dub
04-13-2011, 02:12 PM
Here is how I feel about Phil Taylor....

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16873&p=208082#p208082 (http://www.planetsteelers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=16873&p=208082#p208082)

aggiebones
04-13-2011, 03:24 PM
Hampton's play is irrelevant as to whether they draft Taylor.
Taylor is likely not day 1 ready and Hampton is not long for the league.

So having Hampton AND Taylor on the roster is not outrageous. Long term, yes it would be. But for 1 or 2 years.
Think drafting Hood while having ASmith and Keisel playing well.

They may not have him rated that high. Another option though if they trade back. But I imagine other desperate teams will take him earlier than his play/attitude warrant.

It pays to be 330lbs and able to run 40 yards.

Oviedo
04-13-2011, 03:57 PM

So having Hampton AND Taylor on the roster is not outrageous. Long term, yes it would be. But for 1 or 2 years.

They may not have him rated that high. Another option though if they trade back. But I imagine other desperate teams will take him earlier than his play/attitude warrant.

:Agree The demand on legitimate NTs is getting extreme as more and more teams go to the 3-4 defense. You have to get potential top end ones whenever we can.

Dee Dub
04-13-2011, 04:41 PM
Personally...I do not think the Steelers would use Taylor at NT. They would use him like Baltimore uses Hiloti Ngata.

And a line of Taylor-Hampton-Hood would be the best 3-4 D-line in the league.

steeler_george
04-13-2011, 05:40 PM
Personally...I do not think the Steelers would use Taylor at NT. They would use him like Baltimore uses Hiloti Ngata.

He maybe talented, but you sound as if A. Smith is dead. He played his high standard last year till he got injured. If he comes back healthy 100%

Wouldn't a line up of Smith-Hampton-Hood sound just as good and on passing downs slid in Hood in the middle and Kiesel on the outside.

Dee Dub
04-13-2011, 06:18 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":2n5l2p5j]Personally...I do not think the Steelers would use Taylor at NT. They would use him like Baltimore uses Hiloti Ngata.

He maybe talented, but you sound as if A. Smith is dead. He played his high standard last year till he got injured. If he comes back healthy 100%

Wouldn't a line up of Smith-Hampton-Hood sound just as good and on passing downs slid in Hood in the middle and Kiesel on the outside.[/quote:2n5l2p5j]

Uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...in football terms..Arron Smith might as well be dead. He's missed 21 regular season games and 3 post season games in the last 2 years.

I dont get it. I love Aaron Smith too but he is really not much value to the Steelers anymore.

Chadman
04-13-2011, 08:34 PM
The days of being able to count on Aaron Smith are probably gone.

Phil Taylor is an interesting player- but given apples for apples, Chadman prefers Heyward at #31 as there are less potential 'issues' with him. Upside may not be as high, but there are no guarentees Taylor will reach his true potential, whereas Heyward seems a safer, more committed player & more likely to reach his potential...

RuthlessBurgher
04-14-2011, 09:40 AM

:Agree The demand on legitimate NTs is getting extreme as more and more teams go to the 3-4 defense. You have to get potential top end ones whenever we can.

Don't you typically argue against the traditional fullback because it is a passing league now...the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" ramming-the-ball-down-people's-throats offensive is downright prehistoric? If so, then why is getting a run stuffing nose tackle so vital on your list of priorities? If teams are just going to spread us out all the time with multiple receiver sets, forcing us to use our nickel and dime defenses almost exclusively, how is a big ol' NT any less of a dinosaur than a run blocking FB in this day and age? Just asking...

Oviedo
04-14-2011, 10:03 AM

Don't you typically argue against the traditional fullback because it is a passing league now...the "3 yards and a cloud of dust" ramming-the-ball-down-people's-throats offensive is downright prehistoric? If so, then why is getting a run stuffing nose tackle so vital on your list of priorities? If teams are just going to spread us out all the time with multiple receiver sets, forcing us to use our nickel and dime defenses almost exclusively, how is a big ol' NT any less of a dinosaur than a run blocking FB in this day and age? Just asking...

Simply because our Defensive Coord predicates his defense on that and he won't ever change that or consider other options. If we are stuck with the scheme LeBeau plays you have to fill the needs for the positions. A NT going forward is a need and they are hard to come by. Simply a supply and demand issue.

Arians offense doesn't use a FB so therefore there is no need. Most of the other teams in the NFL are also phasing out the FB position in favor of one back sets with multiple WRs. Therefore there is an anemic demand for FBs across the league and therefore you don't see anyone drafting one in Round 1...or 2, or 3, etc.

I think you know that if it was me, other than wanting to be argumentative, I'd be drafting DL that can all get after the passer.

MaxAMillion
04-14-2011, 11:37 AM
The Jets desperately need a NT. They won't pass on Taylor.

Shawn
04-14-2011, 12:26 PM
The days of being able to count on Aaron Smith are probably gone.

Phil Taylor is an interesting player- but given apples for apples, Chadman prefers Heyward at #31 as there are less potential 'issues' with him. Upside may not be as high, but there are no guarentees Taylor will reach his true potential, whereas Heyward seems a safer, more committed player & more likely to reach his potential...

Agreed. Heyward is also a physical specimen. He can manhandle grown men. He is physical enough to take over a game. Without Heyward, OSU doesn't beat Arkansas. I would say from a pure play stand point, from what I have read Taylor might have Heyward by a hair. But, when you account the fact that Heyward is a hard worker with a good head on his shoulders and you probably wouldn't have to move up for him...he becomes an easy selection.

Heyward is an easy button selection. The only way it becomes a tough decision is if some freak falls to us. Sherrod is less of a sure thing but if he is there he is the only other guy I can see us taking in that spot. I'm not sold on Williams. I don't think we select another first round LBr. Baldwin has too many question marks about play and attitude. Taylor and Pouncey won't be there at 31.

I would be in favor of moving up in the second to grab Dowling. If you landed Heyward and Dowling...that would be enough for me.

PSU_dropout43
04-17-2011, 12:43 PM
http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc ... w/13682485 (http://rob-rang.blogs.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/view/13682485)

Teams are red-flagging DT Phil Taylor's feet

Every year there are players who slip on draft day and leave all of us befuddled. Later, we typically find out that the player had medical concerns pop up, leading to the unfortunate drop.

Injury concerns have led to unstable stock for Clemson defensive end Da'Quan Bowers and Alabama running back Mark Ingram this year. They aren't the only first round talents being downgraded due to medical red-flags, I'm being told.

Baylor defensive tackle Phil Taylor, himself a veteran of 43 games played, is also under scrutiny. Apparently during his Combine check, there were various injuries that caused teams some concern, the most serious of which involves both feet.

Taylor, according to MRIs taken at the Combine, has bones growing together in his feet. The condition, which according to the source is not correctable through surgery, is a pain tolerance issue. Considering that Taylor played much of his senior season at 330-340 pounds -- and has allowed his weight to get into the 380s in the past -- teams are concerned that his weight will only make the injury tougher to handle.

"If he was a 190 pound player, it might be different. Or, if he was an older player and you were only signing him for a few years, it might be different," a source said. "But, it is pretty hard to invest a first round pick in a player who you know coming in is being red-flagged by the doctors."

"This isn't just our team, by the way. Every team gets the MRIs. Every other team is seeing this too."

I tested that theory, as it is important to remember that this is the time of year for NFL sources insinuating the truth (and, in the cases of some, flat-out lying) in an effort to push players down the board. Therefore, I contacted other sources within the league and did confirm with another source that Taylor's injuries were being red-flagged by his team's doctors, as well.

hawaiiansteel
04-17-2011, 03:00 PM
Some teams are red flagging Phil Taylorís feet

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on April 17, 2011

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2011/04/p-taylor.jpg?w=157

Baylor nose tackle Phil Taylorís draft stock is all over the place, depending on who you talk to.

Some believe heís more of a mid-round pick that has been artificially pushed up to possible first round status because of the lack of possible 3-4 nose tackles available. Some believe heís a true talent with top-15 upside and questions about his effort are overblown.

Taylor also has a medical issue that could cause teams to be wary.

Rob Rang of CBSSports.com reports that teams are red-flagging Taylor after a Combine physical revealed bones growing together in his feet. Apparently, this is something that canít be corrected surgically. Itís just about pain tolerance.

ďThis isnít just our team, by the way,Ē Rangís source said. ďEvery team gets the MRIs. Every other team is seeing this too.Ē

Itís tough to tell just how serious this concern is. But it makes Taylorís draft stock all the more unpredictable.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... lors-feet/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/17/some-teams-are-red-flagging-phil-taylors-feet/)