PDA

View Full Version : Sacrifice our 3rd Round Pick to move up in Round One or Two?

RuthlessBurgher
04-11-2011, 02:02 PM
If Mike Pouncey somehow lasts to the mid-20's, we may be able to trade up with Seattle (ahead of Baltimore, Atlanta, New England, Chicago, and the Jets) to get him, but it would cost our 3rd round pick to do so. Seattle may be interested because they may be looking for one of the second tier QB's like Locker or Mallett (and none of the teams listed above have a QB need) so they could still potentially still get their guy and net an extra third rounder.

Ideally, I would like to address the o-line, d-line, and secondary in some order with my first three picks, so if we traded our 3rd to move up for Pouncey, we might still be able to get something like this with our first 3 selections:

1.25 Mike Pouncey OG
2.63 Davon House CB
4.128 Lawrence Guy DE

If Pouncey does not fall within a reasonable trade-up, then we could take the best available athlete at #31, and since this is an unusually deep draft for d-linemen in round 1, let's say a top DE prospect is available, such as Cameron Heyward. Then, in round 2, perhaps we could use our 3rd round pick to trade up to the middle of the round to fill what is likely our biggest need with whom I consider to be the best CB in this draft not named Peterson or Prince, Ras-I Dowling, who many thought would be available in the late 2nd because of an injured plagued senior campaign, but whose stock is now rising again after impressive individual workouts.

We'd likely have to leapfrog the Raiders to get him, but perhaps a team like the Rams would be interested in turning their mid second rounder into a late second and late third. Then perhaps we could end up with something like:

1.31 Cameron Heyward DE
2.47 Ras-I Dowling CB
4.128 Joseph Barksdale OT

Is it worth giving up 3.95 (which might be used to take someone like NT Sione Fua or TE Lance Kendricks) to move up a few spots in the first, or half a round in the second in order to get the guy that we really want? Just think, if we didn't sacrifice prime picks to trade up for guys we really wanted like Troy Polamalu and Santonio Holmes once upon a time, we may have ended up with Mike Doss and Chad Jackson in those drafts instead.

Oviedo
04-11-2011, 02:05 PM
"Give me my 3rd Round pick, or give me death!"

No one worth losing that pick for that we could reasonably reach.

hawaiiansteel
04-11-2011, 02:10 PM
that 3rd round pick could be a Hines Ward or a Mike Wallace or also could be Bruce Davis or Kraig Urbik.

if Mike Pouncey is within a range where we can find a trading partner who is willing to accept a 3rd round draft pick I would be in favor of moving up for Pouncey2.

Oviedo
04-11-2011, 02:21 PM
that 3rd round pick could be a Hines Ward or a Mike Wallace or also could be Bruce Davis or Kraig Urbik.

if Mike Pouncey is within a range where we can find a trading partner who is willing to accept a 3rd round draft pick I would be in favor of moving up for Pouncey2.

I'd rather jump in front of the Jets to get Phil Taylor for less.

hawaiiansteel
04-11-2011, 02:26 PM

there's a good chance that Phil Taylor never makes it past the KC Chiefs at #21.

Oviedo
04-11-2011, 02:31 PM

there's a good chance that Phil Taylor never makes it past the KC Chiefs at #21.

I saw where the Chiefs might take Pouncey since they need to replace their aging Center.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-11-2011, 04:47 PM
If Mike Pouncey somehow lasts to the mid-20's, we may be able to trade up with Seattle (ahead of Baltimore, Atlanta, New England, Chicago, and the Jets) to get him, but it would cost our 3rd round pick to do so. Seattle may be interested because they may be looking for one of the second tier QB's like Locker or Mallett (and none of the teams listed above have a QB need) so they could still potentially still get their guy and net an extra third rounder.

Ideally, I would like to address the o-line, d-line, and secondary in some order with my first three picks, so if we traded our 3rd to move up for Pouncey, we might still be able to get something like this with our first 3 selections:

1.25 Mike Pouncey OG
2.63 Davon House CB
4.128 Lawrence Guy DE

If Pouncey does not fall within a reasonable trade-up, then we could take the best available athlete at #31, and since this is an unusually deep draft for d-linemen in round 1, let's say a top DE prospect is available, such as Cameron Heyward. Then, in round 2, perhaps we could use our 3rd round pick to trade up to the middle of the round to fill what is likely our biggest need with whom I consider to be the best CB in this draft not named Peterson or Prince, Ras-I Dowling, who many thought would be available in the late 2nd because of an injured plagued senior campaign, but whose stock is now rising again after impressive individual workouts.

We'd likely have to leapfrog the Raiders to get him, but perhaps a team like the Rams would be interested in turning their mid second rounder into a late second and late third. Then perhaps we could end up with something like:

1.31 Cameron Heyward DE
2.47 Ras-I Dowling CB

Is it worth giving up 3.95 (which might be used to take someone like NT Sione Fua or TE Lance Kendricks) to move up a few spots in the first, or half a round in the second in order to get the guy that we really want? Just think, if we didn't sacrifice prime picks to trade up for guys we really wanted like Troy Polamalu and Santonio Holmes once upon a time, we may have ended up with Mike Doss and Chad Jackson in those drafts instead.
I like both scenarios Ruthless. Pouncey is my first choice in this draft but I don't see him falling outside the Top 25. I would give up a 3rd in a heartbeat.

Flasteel
04-11-2011, 05:46 PM

1.25 Mike Pouncey OG
2.63 Davon House CB
4.128 Lawrence Guy DE

1.31 Cameron Heyward DE
2.47 Ras-I Dowling CB

I like both scenarios Ruthless. Pouncey is my first choice in this draft but I don't see him falling outside the Top 25. I would give up a 3rd in a heartbeat.

I agree 100%. Although I would still look at bolstering the offensive line over the defensive one, as long as the grades on the available players were close.

Get the most bang you can out of the first 2 draft choices while targeting the offensive line and defensive backfield.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-11-2011, 07:28 PM
You have to remember "who" is doing the picking? Colbert has a tremendous record in round 1. Not so much in round 2. Let him go get his guy in the first.

Mick'sTeam
04-11-2011, 08:58 PM
How would this work out on the draft value chart? If giving up our 3rd is what it would take to move up in the first, wouldn't it require less to move up in the second? (ie, a 4th or later pick?)

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2011, 09:04 AM
How would this work out on the draft value chart? If giving up our 3rd is what it would take to move up in the first, wouldn't it require less to move up in the second? (ie, a 4th or later pick?)

Using our 3rd round pick allows us to leapfrog 5 teams in round 1.

If we only wanted to leapfrog 5 teams in round 2, then using our 4th rounder would suffice for that purpose.

But using our 3rd rounder to move up in round 2 allows us to move up to the middle of the round.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-12-2011, 09:41 AM
I would love to have Pouncey but I would max out at our 1st, 3rd, & 5th. That would get you to to #24 the Saints who only have 6 picks. That would mean that Pouncey clears the Colts and Eagles. That is a longshot in itself but hopefully some OTs drop. Also a possibilty then that Saints can move down to end of 1st for Marvin Austin who fits well. I think that is the highest without giving up more than a 1st, 3rd, & 5th.

That all being said, I think it is highly unlikely he makes it to #24. Need some surprising picks with some of these "late runners" on the 1st round to sneak up ahead of the Saints and possibly a player to fall that catches a teams eye. If we can't get Pouncey and Taylor is off the board, which I believe he will be, I'm hoping the phone rings for a team who wants to move back up in the 1st for a QB to trade out.

I'm feeling 5 OTs are off the board, Taylor & Wilkerson are gone, and Heyward could be gone too. I personally not crazy about Williams (CB) and he may be gone. I don't want Harris (CB), Rudolph(TE), or Smith (WR). But if they can't trade out of #31 and have to pick, I'm feeling Ijalana or Dowling if they are all gone. Just not sure who I am liking more just yet. I know many of you don't like the picks but they are risers and have first round talent. If I had to give a realistic Top 5 at #31, the list would be Sherrod, Williams, Heyward, Dowling, & Ijalana. I think our first is on this list. Watkins looks to be falling and may be close but I just can't consider a 26 year old 1st rounder who will be 27 before years end. Watkins might be the 1st pick of round two by the Pats. What sucks is if they could find a partner, the could trade back a few and get possibly one of these or a player of equal value at the same position and gain a pick. Just can't wait for this draft to get here because this has been one of the more difficult to get a grasp on because of the way the talent base is grading out versus the Steelers needs. If I not picking in the top 20, I would rather have two #2's.

Chadman
04-12-2011, 09:58 AM
JPN- if you are right, and Austin goes to the Saints- could this mean that Corey Luiget would fall to #31?

Because if he's there, at #31- he's the guy Chadman wants.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2011, 10:07 AM
JPN- if you are right, and Austin goes to the Saints- could this mean that Corey Luiget would fall to #31?

I still don't see Liuget for us. I think he's a legit prospect, but he's a 4-3 DT. At 6'2", he's too short to be a 3-4 DE. At 298 lbs., he's not stout enough to be a 3-4 NT.

If Liuget was there for the 4-3 Saints, they could stay put and take him for themselves. Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see the Rams take him as high as #14 (unless Julio Jones somehow falls into their laps, of course).

Chadman
04-12-2011, 10:11 AM
At 6'2", he's too short to be a 3-4 DE. At 298 lbs., he's not stout enough to be a 3-4 NT.

Ziggy's 6'3" 300lbs...not a lot of difference there...now, unless you're a woman, you going to argue 1 inch making much difference?

:D

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2011, 10:30 AM
At 6'2", he's too short to be a 3-4 DE. At 298 lbs., he's not stout enough to be a 3-4 NT.

Ziggy's 6'3" 300lbs...not a lot of difference there...now, unless you're a woman, you going to argue 1 inch making much difference?

:D

Ziggy is on the low end of the 3-4 DE spectrum as it is. Ideally, they should be 6'4" or 6'5" (Aaron Smith and Brett Keisel are both 6'5"). Chris Hoke (6'2") has filled in at DE on occassion, but he is better suited inside.

aggiebones
04-12-2011, 11:11 AM

Yes, but mike Pouncey could end up like many other 1st round flops. Better to have 2 shots at getting Hampton AND Mike Wallace. Yes, there's a chance of getting 2 bums with our picks, but the chances are lower. Keep as many top round picks as you can, UNLESS you really love someone.
Not sure the Steelers (outside of the fanbase) love Mike P.

How many of you have brothers? How many are twins? There is alot of sibling rivalry that comes into play when getting brothers on the same team. Will it suppress Maurkice ability to lead other men having his brother looking over his shoulder. I guarantee one thing, no twin will bow to his counterpart regardless of who is better.
I'm not in love with getting the Danny Devito Pouncey anyway. He's a good player, but he's just good from what I've seen.
We'll see, but I imagine the Steelers will avoid him like the plague for MANY psychological reasons. They certainly won't trade up to get him.

RuthlessBurgher
04-12-2011, 12:20 PM

Yes, but mike Pouncey could end up like many other 1st round flops. Better to have 2 shots at getting Hampton AND Mike Wallace. Yes, there's a chance of getting 2 bums with our picks, but the chances are lower. Keep as many top round picks as you can, UNLESS you really love someone.

How many of you have brothers? How many are twins? There is alot of sibling rivalry that comes into play when getting brothers on the same team. Will it suppress Maurkice ability to lead other men having his brother looking over his shoulder. I guarantee one thing, no twin will bow to his counterpart regardless of who is better.
I'm not in love with getting the Danny Devito Pouncey anyway. He's a good player, but he's just good from what I've seen.
We'll see, but I imagine the Steelers will avoid him like the plague for MANY psychological reasons. They certainly won't trade up to get him.

http://blackhawkup.com/files/2009/08/sedins1.jpg

The Sedin twins are the primary reason why the Canucks have the best record in hockey this year. Playing on the same line in hockey, you need to work together as a unit, and know what the other guys will be doing. Daniel and Henrik and have played together forever since they were young kids, and that continuity shines through in their play together. Similarly, on the o-line, you need to work together as a unit, and know what the other guys will be doing. Maurkice and Mike have played together forever since they were young kids, and that continuity shined through in their play together at Florida, and would continue to do so in the pros, if we happen to be lucky enough to trade up to reunite the twins.

The Pouncey twins don't have a sibling rivalry. They love each other. They had never been apart until this year. They kissed each other on the d@mn lips when we drafted Maurkice at #18 last year. There is no DeVito Pouncey in this situation. They are genetically identical. Getting Mike would also virtually guarantee that we would be able to re-sign Maurkice when his contract is up (as it stands, since Maurkice's rookie contract will be up before Mike's, there is a chance that he could opt to leave to join whatever team drafts his brother when that time comes).

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_OVnps8UzGdM/S9Gmrw8_mWI/AAAAAAAACsE/gTKK8Nq1ElY/s400/pouncey-kiss.jpg

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-12-2011, 12:55 PM

Actually need Luiget, Taylor, & Wilkerson off the board when the Saints are on the clock for them to consider trading out. I don't think any of those names make it to #31. Didn't explain the whole though process but that was one of the reasons I believe they would be looking for a partner. Could be too high for Austin and might be able to pick up some picks and move down to take him. I expect some maneuvering with teams 20-26 targeting DL. Possibly a team like the Eagles looking to jump ahead of KC to take Taylor or Luiget, whomever they like more. KC takes the other and Ravens possibly jump ahead of the Saints to take WIlkerson because they don't want Jimmy Smith. All kinda good for the Steelers to have someone possibly fall but I would not be surprised in the least if there is a run on DTs in that area with alot of movement. That's the mumblings I'm hearing about a heavy 1st round talent of DT and the well could dry up right in that range quickly.

And I'll be the first to say "No" to Jimmy Smith falling. No meaning I don't even think he is on their board...At all. I would love to have the talent of a Jimmy Smith but I don't see them gambling on him if he falls all the way to #31.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-12-2011, 01:47 PM

Take you finger and cover the name Pouncey on the back of Mikes jersey when you watch him play and maybe things will be easier to understand. This has nothing to do with Pouncey love for the educated evaluator. His name could be Skippy. When you watch this kid play, especially in 2009 at G, he is special. I would be all for trading up for any G within reach that is a certain "Plug & Play". I would do the same for a CB. It is based on need for the Steelers. It just so happens that the kid that fits this description plays G & has the name Pouncey on his jersey.

Remember this when looking at team needs and where a team sits in the 1st round. ALWAYS look to reach up if there is a guy you like and the price is right if it fills an immediate need. A 3rd is the right price picking from #31 to get the highest rate player at his position and a starter day 1. If I wasn't sure of it, I wouldn't consider trading up.

As far as you saying the chances are lower, look at the 3rd rounders since 2000. I would say chances are better we don't find a Wallace / Sanders with that 3rd.

Kraig Urbik
Kennan Lewis
Bruce Davis
Matt Spaeth
Anthony Smith
Willie Reid
Trai Essex
Kendrick Clancy
Hank Poteat
Amos Zeroue

Wouldn't trade these guys in:
Chris Hope
Max Starks
Mike Wallace
Manny Sanders

Shawn
04-12-2011, 02:44 PM
So basically the question is...Pouncey>Heyward and Kendricks?

IMO, Pouncey is a sure thing barring injury. Heyward has the ability to be very special at the next level. Kendricks does as well.

Lets just put it this way, if the Steelers move up to grab Pouncey I will be happy. If they stay put and grab Heyward I will also be happy. But, I would prefer to move back so we can move up in the second to grab Hudson and Dowling.

2) Hudson-G
2) Dowling-DB
3) Kendricks-TE
4) Ellis-NT

If our draft started like the one above I would be elated because I think all 4 of those guys would eventually be quality starters.

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2011, 05:34 PM
I just hope we don't draft an OL in the 3rd round, our success rate doing that hasn't been too good for the last 15 years. except for Max Starks in 2004 we could have used our 3rd round pick every time to move up:

Kraig Urbik-2009
Trai Essex-2005
Max Starks-2004
Kris Farris-1999
Chris Conrad-1998
Paul Wiggins-1997
Brenden Stai-1995

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-13-2011, 07:20 AM

IMO, Pouncey is a sure thing barring injury. Heyward has the ability to be very special at the next level. Kendricks does as well.

Lets just put it this way, if the Steelers move up to grab Pouncey I will be happy. If they stay put and grab Heyward I will also be happy. But, I would prefer to move back so we can move up in the second to grab Hudson and Dowling.

2) Hudson-G
2) Dowling-DB
3) Kendricks-TE
4) Ellis-NT

If our draft started like the one above I would be elated because I think all 4 of those guys would eventually be quality starters.

I would be very pleased with that draft, especially since you have 2-3 possible 2nd rounders & a possible 1st through 4 rounds. Not way off but you would have to take Dowling at you trade down 2 and he may not last to that pick depending how far down you go. Don't be surprised if the Steelers take him at #31. Hudson may be to high take him at the end of the 2nd or early 3rd. Kendricks could be gone by end of 2nd early 3rd. Ellis would have to be taken at the end of the 2nd to get him because he won't last in the first 10 picks of the 3rd if he makes it out of the 2nd at all. He dominated at NFLPA all star game. I think it is only character questions that push him late in round 2 but the talent is there.

Oviedo
04-13-2011, 10:30 AM

2) Hudson-G
2) Dowling-DB
3) Kendricks-TE
4) Ellis-NT

Replace Hudson with Cannon and that would be a tremendous draft.

I love the trade back idea but I think any team jumping up into the 1st is going to want an earlier pick than ours. The damn Ravens could well be in the perfect position to work a deal with one of the teams wanting to jump up.

Shawn
04-13-2011, 10:32 AM
As we all know mock drafts don't determine where someone will be selected. Ellis was considered a 5th rounder before all the hooplah, now he is a second? He is still a DT from Hampton with a past. Will he make it to our pick in the 4th? Who knows but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he will be a 4th rounder. Walter has him selected at 94.

Dowling could go anywhere from early second to late second because of the injury history. Hudson seems to be in the same boat.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-13-2011, 11:54 AM
As we all know mock drafts don't determine where someone will be selected. Ellis was considered a 5th rounder before all the hooplah, now he is a second? He is still a DT from Hampton with a past. Will he make it to our pick in the 4th? Who knows but I don't think it's unreasonable to think he will be a 4th rounder. Walter has him selected at 94.

Dowling could go anywhere from early second to late second because of the injury history. Hudson seems to be in the same boat.

I'm not talking about mocks like your reference to "Walter" at #94. I'm talking about the talent evaluators like Mayock & Brandt. Ellis has no "hooplah" anymore. He went on the field and proved it. He dominated against the college All stars and just cleaned them up. He had to be doubled team because he was so disruptive. Any time he went one-on-one he was driving his guy back and making plays. This isn't my opinion. Mayock said he would be surprised if he makes it out of the 2nd round. He has a past but just the fact the Steelers brought him in after talking to him at the combine means something. He won't make it to the Steelers 3rd.

Dowling could sneak into the bottom of round 1 and more than likely will come off the board in the Top 10 picks of round 2 now. He put his stock back to his 2009 grade where they had him as a 1st round prospect.

I am not a Hudson fan & Hudson's stock has been falling. It even looks like he may drop to our 2nd. If he does, I hope the Steelers pass on him. I would rather have Rackley out of Lehigh and you might be able to trade back into early 3rd and still get him.

birtikidis
04-13-2011, 06:49 PM
I'm not interested in Heyward. I'm not interested in ANYONE labeled as lazy. I'm not interested in a guy who is lazy AND tends to show up out of shape.
I hope Mike is there, and I think it's a great idea to trade for him, but if we can't get him.. Then I trade back and take Dowling in the second along with Wisnewski. Then take the NT from Stanford in the 3rd. I wouldn't be happy with that draft, but I'd take it.

BradshawsHairdresser
04-13-2011, 07:22 PM
You have to remember "who" is doing the picking? Colbert has a tremendous record in round 1. Not so much in round 2. Let him go get his guy in the first.
:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap