PDA

View Full Version : Chadman's Final Mock Draft..?

Chadman
04-11-2011, 01:34 AM
Well, that's the plan anyway. Can't take potential trades into account as we likely will not know about these until the moment they come up, so Chadman will assume we keep our 7 picks. You might not agree- and that's ok- sometimes you just can't help being wrong, so if you find yourself shaking your head & saying "Oh no..", don't feel too bad- maybe you'll get it right next year instead?

:stirpot

Chadman will give a couple of 'option' names for each round, just to give an indication of how things could play out in alternative timelines..

Chadman
04-11-2011, 01:41 AM
ROUND 1.

AARON WILLIAMS CB TEXAS
6'1" 195lbs

http://ultimatenfldraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/aaron-williams1.jpg

Is he a CB? Is he a FS? Does it matter? Are the Steelers getting a player that could contribute? The answer could easily be yes, yes, no, yes. If Williams is indeed the pick at #31, he could step in as the nickle CB this season, pushing Gay off the roster all together. He's the 'prototype Steeler CB' with his size. He's a junior- something that Tomlin & Colbert seem to value. He played at a good college against good competition. He has position flexibility. Tomlin & co were at his pro day- always a good sign. It is quite possible that Williams could still be targetted with a trade down, but how can anyone rationally predict the needs & desires of 31 other teams? Let's just say Williams is a certain possible target for the Steelers 1st pick.

Scouts like Williams' size and aggressive nature, and have already seen two similar corners from Texas enter the league in recent season. Cedric Griffin was a solid second-round pick (48th overall) for the Vikings in 2006, while Aaron Ross hasn't quite been the player the Giants hoped he would be when they picked him in the first round (20th) of the 2007 draft.

Williams, a Parade High School All-American, played every game as a true freshman and started one game (16 tackles, one for loss, three passes broken up). His four blocked punts in 2008 tied a school record. Williams showed promise as a full-time starter in his sophomore year, making 44 tackles, six for loss, intercepting three passes and breaking up six. Williams was named second-team All-Big 12 by league coaches as a junior in 2010, even though he failed to make an interception in 12 pass deflections. He had 46 tackles, including five for loss, and also forced three fumbles.

Williams received a second-round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee because of his prototypical height, short-area quickness and a strong ability to knock away passes. However, he does not play as physically as you would expect given his size and must refine his technique. Expect Williams to be picked at the bottom of the first round of middle of the second.

Other possible Round 1 targets-
DE Cameron Heyward
OT Nate Solder
ILB Martez Wilson

Chadman
04-11-2011, 01:49 AM
ROUND 2.

ORLANDO FRANKLIN OG/OT MIAMI
6'6" 316lbs

http://www.thenationalfootballreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/orlandofranklin1.jpg

A big, angry hombre. Long frame, long arms & strong- played for a good school against- you guessed it- good competition. Position flexibility is a plus. Most likely an OG, but could be considered at RT if Willie Colon is any kind of indication. Steelers were at Miami's pro day- including Tomlin. A good sign. Played LG at college. Just a massive individual- something the Steelers seem to like in OL guys.

Perhaps fans identify with the program's production of skill-position players, Miami's history of churning out quality offensive linemen doesn't get the attention it deserves. From former first-round picks Bryant McKinnie (2002) and Vernon Carey (2004) to quality lower-rated prospects like Eric Winston (2006) and Jason Fox (2010), the 'Canes have been a consistent producer of NFL-caliber blockers. In Orlando Franklin, the Hurricanes boast another talented big man capable of warranting a high NFL draft selection.

Born in Jamaica, Franklin lived in Canada before moving to Florida for his senior year of high school. He wasn't academically cleared to play his first season with the Hurricanes, but emerged as one of the team's two "rookies of the year" in 2007, sharing the award with running back Graig Cooper, while starting three games and appearing in all 12 contests.

Franklin has since started 22 games, all but one coming at left guard. The one exception came in 2009 against South Florida, when a leg injury to Fox, a second-team All-ACC selection, forced Franklin to move outside.

Franklin had a solid game against former Virginia star and No. 2 overall pick Chris Long in 2007. The huge blocker was also surprisingly successful against South Florida's formidable pass-rush tandem of Jason Pierre-Paul and George Selvie. Despite earning second-team All-ACC honors, Franklin's lack of top-shelf athleticism was exposed this season at left tackle. He looks capable of developing into starter inside at guard or at right tackle.

Other Round 2 Possibilities-
Rahim Moore
Lance Kendricks
Brandon Burton

Chadman
04-11-2011, 01:55 AM
ROUND 3.

D.J. WILLIAMS TE ARKANSAS
6'2" 245lbs

http://ultimatenfldraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/D.J.-Williams-Arkansas-catching-ball-courtesy-of-Arkansas-athletics.jpg

The Steelers have looked at several TE prospects coming into this draft. It would seem there is a desire to upgrade the position- most likely because of the use of 2 TE sets as the 'base' formation. Williams is an excellent reciever & a willing blocker. More of a H-Back than a pure TE- but could easily upgrade Johnson on the roster & push Speath into the 'Blocking TE' role. Williams also is considered to have excellent character- something we all know is valued in the organisation. With Ward slowing/aging- the Steelers will need to find another outlet, or outlets, to cover for the diminishing effectiveness of Hines. Perhaps this could be the way- a dual threat at TE.

D.J. Williams' path in life took a dramatic turn with the tip of his finger 12 years ago.

It was 1999, and his mother was fleeing Texas with Williams and his two sisters to escape her abusive husband who was battling depression and a cocaine addiction. D.J. had grown up feeling helpless while watching his father beat his mother over and over again.

Vicky Williams had been a victim long enough. She spread a map out a table, and when D.J.'s finger landed on Little Rock, Ark., she packed up a few suitcases and headed off to start a new life with her children.

"My background was pretty much like sandpaper. It was really rough," D.J. Williams said at the scouting combine. "But after that sandpaper wore out, my family came out smooth.

"I'm almost thankful for what we went through because now I appreciate pretty much all I get in life. I'm very thankful for what my mother did for me, and almost every time I get to that breaking point, all I have to do is think of her and I keep going."

Williams has always kept going, emerging as a three-year starter playing both ways at Central Arkansas Christian. He was recruited by Oklahoma State, Mississippi and Georgia Tech, among others, but chose to stay close to home and become a fan favorite in Fayetteville.

When he set a school single-season record for tight ends with 61 catches as a sophomore, Williams admitted he let his blocking skills slide, and coach Bobby Petrino "didn't like that one bit." So his reception numbers dipped to just 32 in 2009 while Williams focused on becoming a more complete tight end. The result was a senior season in which Williams "put two and two together," catching a team-high 54 passes and winning the John Mackey Award given to the naiton's top tight end.

Williams is undersized for the traditional tight end role in the NFL. He projects as an H-Back who can be put in motion and take advantage of mismatches downfield. But he's ready to take on whatever role and NFL team asks of him, and says they'll get the same person they see playing with "that attitude" on game film.

"I'm not that player that when they hear that you've got to lead block against Ray Lewis - I'll say this now because I don't see him across

from me - but the attitude is, 'Okay, let's go do it. We're out here playing football. This is what we do,'" Williams said. "So my attitude is right in becoming that blocker. But a lot of (teams) do say that they see me as the route-runner and that H-back position, and that's where they want to play me at. But I'm open to do anything."

Other Round 3 Options-
Jarvis Jenkins
Rashard Carmicheal
John Moffitt

Chadman
04-11-2011, 02:03 AM
ROUND 4.

SEALVER SILIGA NT UTAH
6'2" 314lbs

http://www.dailyutahchronicle.com/polopoly_fs/1.2307440!/image/857958402.jpg_gen/derivatives/landscape_240/857958402.jpg

There is no doubt that the Steelers need to start looking at options on the DL. Both Steelers NT's are over 34 years old- on the downhill side of their careers. Siliga is a squatty type of road grader, with long arms. Another junior, which the Steelers seem to value. Utah has produced some decent 'big bodied DT's' over the last few years. The Steelers were at Utah's pro day- supposedly looking at Brandon Burton- so would have been able to cast an eye over Siliga while they were there.

Siliga surprised many by completing the paperwork to enter the 2011 NFL Draft instead of competing in his fourth season of eligibility with the Utes. His play over the past three seasons and upside as a young player, however, gives him a shot to earn a draftable grade from some teams.

Unlike other prospects from Utah like nose tackle Sione Pouha and linebacker Paul Kruger, Siliga will not be an over-aged rookie. He stepped in as a true freshman to contribute seven tackles, one for loss, as a reserve.

Siliga is not an explosive pass rusher and does not dominate at the point of attack. He could excel in an NFL strength and conditioning program, however, and his agility, length and hustle are intriguing for 4-3 looking for depth on the nose. The success of former Ute defensive tackles Pouha, Ma'ake Kemoeatu and Paul Soliai could also earn him respect from scouts across the league.

Other Round 4 Options-
Austin Pettis
Cortez Allen
Jeremy Beal

Chadman
04-11-2011, 02:07 AM
ROUND 5.

DENARIUS MOORE WR TENNESSEE
6'0" 191lbs

http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Chick+fil+Bowl+Virginia+Tech+v+Tennessee+gxh_ZMOIf 3wl.jpg

The Steelers seem to be looking for Ward's eventual replacement- a sure handed underneath type WR to play that slot role. Moore projects well for that role- good hands & not afraid to put his body on the line. The Steelers have had him in for a visit- a positive sign.

Moore overcame three different head coaches in three years and terribly inconsistent play from the Volunteers' quarterbacks to establish himself as a legitimate NFL prospect during his senior year, averaging a staggering 21 yards on 43 catches to go with nine touchdowns.

Smooth and NFL ready, Moore projects well as a No. 2 WR at the next level, offering sound route-running, consistent hands and proven ability to go deep and make the tough catch.

Other Round 5 Options-
Greg Romeus
Buster Skrine
Taiwan Jones

Chadman
04-11-2011, 02:15 AM
ROUND 6.

STEVEN FRIDAY OLB VIRGINIA TECH
6'3" 230lbs

http://www.footballdiner.com/stevenfriday-i1.jpg

Will the Steelers take another athletic, pass rushing OLB prospect? Have they ever given the indication they won't? Friday is yet another athletic prospect that can be groomed to play in the vaulted Steelers 3-4. The guy he replaced as a starter at Virginia Tech was one Jason Worilds- the current Steeler. So choosing from V-Tech is not outside the realms of possibility here. James Harrison is 33 & coming off back surgery. Woodley has been Franchised. Farrior is nearly in an Old Folks home. Timmons is off contract next season. Yes- the Steelers will look at LB this draft..

Was named the most improved defensive player of the spring … Emerged as a playmaker, while winning a starting job … Got a lot of reps and was productive … Made big plays every scrimmage - sacks, tackles for loss, forced fumbles … Needs to carry that success into preseason practice … Was solid and reliable last season, while serving as the top backup to Jason Worilds … Is strong and athletic … Can pressure the passer … Consistency and focus will be the key in August … Has a chance to play a major role for the Hokies.

Other Round 6 Options-
James Dockery
Noel Devine
David Carter

Chadman
04-11-2011, 02:20 AM
ROUND 7.

FRANK KEARSE DT/DE ALABAMA A&M
6'4" 311lbs

http://cdn2-b.examiner.com/sites/default/files/styles/image_full_width/hash/b8/dd/b8dd48b4a6184efa09f362591e403a6d.jpg

Pretty sure we have all read about Kearse by know & feel he is a good target in the lower rounds. This is quote possibly true- and certainly worth a shot. Kearse however, is being talked about as a NT. Chadman wonders if, standing at 6'4" & not looking like Casey Hampton- body wise- if we perhaps don't give him the credit he might deserve- he could possibly fit as a 3-4 DE, much in the same shape as good old Kimo did for years. Regardless, even if he is strictly a NT- he's worth a shot.

Alabama A&M Pro day: It was difficult for Alabama A&M prospects at the school's pro day held on March 7, but a couple still managed to thrive. The five players who worked out had to do so on a wet grass field outdoors ??? not ideal for trying to impress the 15 teams present at the pro day. There were two standouts, neither of which was invited to the NFL Scouting Combine: DT Frank Kearse (6-foot-4, 315 pounds) ??? He ran 5.30 and 5.44 seconds in the 40-yard dash, had a 30-inch vertical jump, an 8-foot-7 broad jump, and did 22 bench-press repetitions at 225 pounds. He also posted 4.66 and 7.80 in the short shuttle and 3-cone drill, respectively. Scouts were impressed with him, and the Steelers' Mark Gorscak worked out Kearse individually. - Gil Brandt, NFL.com

steeler_george
04-11-2011, 03:22 AM
If Williams is indeed the pick at #31, he could step in as the nickle CB this season, pushing Gay off the roster all together.

I wouldn't mind keeping Gay, but Madsion has to stay off the field on defense.

He would bring good value and contribute from day 1. Hopefully we can get lucky trade back a few spots and grab him. If he, J. Smith, Harrison are all there at 31 he is ours with a trade back. And if he we don,t grab him in the trade back there is still value in beginning of round 2.

DE Cameron Heyward < agree
OT Nate Solder < agree
ILB Martez Wilson < disagree

NJ-STEELER
04-11-2011, 05:34 AM
if pettis is there in rd 4, i'd take him over the NT

anger 82&amp;95
04-11-2011, 08:20 AM
ROUND 1.

AARON WILLIAMS CB TEXAS
6'1" 195lbs

http://ultimatenfldraft.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/aaron-williams1.jpg

Is he a CB? Is he a FS? Does it matter? Are the Steelers getting a player that could contribute? The answer could easily be yes, yes, no, yes. If Williams is indeed the pick at #31, he could step in as the nickle CB this season, pushing Gay off the roster all together. He's the 'prototype Steeler CB' with his size. He's a junior- something that Tomlin & Colbert seem to value. He played at a good college against good competition. He has position flexibility. Tomlin & co were at his pro day- always a good sign. It is quite possible that Williams could still be targetted with a trade down, but how can anyone rationally predict the needs & desires of 31 other teams? Let's just say Williams is a certain possible target for the Steelers 1st pick.

Scouts like Williams' size and aggressive nature, and have already seen two similar corners from Texas enter the league in recent season. Cedric Griffin was a solid second-round pick (48th overall) for the Vikings in 2006, while Aaron Ross hasn't quite been the player the Giants hoped he would be when they picked him in the first round (20th) of the 2007 draft.

Williams, a Parade High School All-American, played every game as a true freshman and started one game (16 tackles, one for loss, three passes broken up). His four blocked punts in 2008 tied a school record. Williams showed promise as a full-time starter in his sophomore year, making 44 tackles, six for loss, intercepting three passes and breaking up six. Williams was named second-team All-Big 12 by league coaches as a junior in 2010, even though he failed to make an interception in 12 pass deflections. He had 46 tackles, including five for loss, and also forced three fumbles.

Williams received a second-round grade from the NFL Advisory Committee because of his prototypical height, short-area quickness and a strong ability to knock away passes. However, he does not play as physically as you would expect given his size and must refine his technique. Expect Williams to be picked at the bottom of the first round of middle of the second. Carnell Lake would certainly help this guy transition to the NFL…

DE Cameron Heyward
OT Nate Solder
ILB Martez Wilson

Chadman
04-11-2011, 09:40 AM
if pettis is there in rd 4, i'd take him over the NT

Can certainly understand that. Chadman was...conflicted...in Round 4..

steelerkeylargo
04-11-2011, 10:26 AM
I really don't like Franklin and Siliga is barely draftable. N

Oviedo
04-11-2011, 10:46 AM
I really don't like Franklin and Siliga is barely draftable. N

I'm not sure Franklin can be a good OT in the NFL.

I agree about Siliga. Could get him as a priority UDFA.

PSU_dropout43
04-11-2011, 11:51 AM
You sold me on Marcus Gilbert, now you're going with Orlando Franklin.

What happened to Marcus Gilbert?

Chadman
04-11-2011, 12:00 PM
You sold me on Marcus Gilbert, now you're going with Orlando Franklin.

What happened to Marcus Gilbert?

Messing with your head now.. :)

Actually, Gilbert would be equally as fine here.

Chadman
04-11-2011, 10:23 PM
Wow...in the cold light of day, looking back on that- this was possibly Chadman's poorest effort.

that's what you get for being bored & just doing something...because you can.

Chadman will post a new, improved, actual final Mock...nowish..