PDA

View Full Version : SSS Mock Draft 1.0

StarSpangledSteeler
04-09-2011, 04:59 AM
1.31 - Ras I Dowling CB (Virginia) (6’1” 198) (4.37 forty at pro day) (NFL size and speed) (very physical) (Steeler type) (team leader) (no off field issues) (playmaker) (history of production)

2007: 44 tackles, 2 INT, 9 PBU.
2008: 43 tackles, 3 INT, 11 PBU.
2009: 58 tackles, 3 INT, 8 PBU, 2 FF, 1 sack.
2010: (Injury plagued) 15 tackles, 0 INT.

This whole Ras-I situation reminds me very much of Heath Miller. A top 15 pick before a significant (but not career threatening) injury. We took a moderate risk with Heath and it paid off huge. I think the same thing will happen here. I may be in the minority but I think Ras-I will turn out to be the 3rd best CB in this draft. I don’t think he slips to the mid-2nd like many are suggesting, and I don’t think he is a reach at 1.31.

2.31 - James Carpenter OT/OG (Alabama) (6’4” 321) (34” arms, 9.75” hands) (23 reps) (solid pass blocker with good feet) (SEC competition)

Scouts vary on whether he can play left tackle in the NFL, but most agree on two things... (1) He is a solid pass blocker. (2) He has the skill set and body type to play effectively at OG or RT. We have a need at both. I believe he would be an immediate upgrade over either of our OG’s and could be a serviceable OT.

3.31 - Kenrick Ellis DT (Hampton) (6’4” 346) (35” arms, 10.5” hands) (power to anchor) (strength to bull rush) (long arms to swat down passes)

If Casey goes down at any point this year (which is highly possible) we need a young beast who can rotate in with Hoke. Ellis has raw size and strength that you cannot teach. If he can refine his technique he will be a steal. Character issues are a risk, but I do like linemen who have a little edge.

4.31 - Chris Hairston OT (Clemson) (6’6” 326) (35.2” arms) (33 reps - best of any OT in the draft) (2nd team All-SEC)

I believe this guy is one of the biggest sleepers in the draft. He has elite size and strength. 33 reps on the bench with 35 inch arms is insane. Not only can he ride pass rushers wide, he is very strong against the bull rush. He doesn’t have really quick feet but he plays with good balance. He has the potential to be a very solid RT.

5.31 - Buster Skrine CB (Chattannooga) (5’10” 186) (4.29 forty) (37” vertical)

I don’t want any more slow corners. This kid has got elite speed. We need a nickel CB who can run with Welker types. He can also contribute as a special teams gunner. (allowing us to get rid of both Battle and Madison).

6.31 - Greg Romeus DE (6’5” 264) (35” arms, 11” hands) (26 reps)

There is a huge variance on where the mocks are projecting Romeus, but some have him falling here. There are a lot of questions regarding how well (or if) he will recover from surgery. What we do know is that before his injury he was very good at shedding blockers and holding the point on the college level. He does need to add some weight but so did Aaron Smith. We need more DL with long arms to bat down all these quick crossing route passes.

7.31 - The best available RB between:

Mario Fannin RB (Auburn) (5’10” 231) (4.37 forty) (3rd down back) (good size) (great speed) (great hands)

Jamie Harper RB (Clemson) (5’11” 233) (4.58 forty) (3rd down back) (good blocker) (great hands) (stuck playing behind CJ Spiller)

Darren Evans RB (Va Tech) (6’0” 227) (4.58 forty) (1st & 2nd down back) (N/S power runner) (good blocker) (recovering from ACL) (played behind Ryan Williams)

UDFA possibilities - Mark Legree FS, Greg Lloyd Jr. ILB, Thomas Weber K/P

grotonsteel
04-09-2011, 09:32 AM
One heck of a mock SSS :Clap

I would be very happy if we get these players in the draft.

Steelers are looking for a TE and i think they will draft one in mid-rounds though.

steelerkeylargo
04-09-2011, 10:38 AM
I would be stoked with that draft as well. Don't think Romeus or Ellis will be there in respective rounds though.

Flasteel
04-09-2011, 11:02 AM
I would take that in a heartbeat. Nice draft SSS! :tt2

steelblood
04-09-2011, 12:14 PM
As you can see in my sig, I hate your 2nd and 3rd round selections.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-09-2011, 02:40 PM
For me, our most crucial needs are at CB, OL, DL. (And it's not like we only need one of each.) If the value is there, I believe you have to go with your priorities over depth. Lately we've seen Tomiln/Colbert double dip at positions of need, and I believe they'll do it again this year. CB and DL have a lot of depth this year but many of them don't fit our system. I just hope some of these guys are still there when we pick.

hawaiiansteel
04-09-2011, 09:34 PM
as you can see by my sig, I hate your 1st and 2nd round selections... :Cheers

and I used to have Kenrick Ellis as my 3rd round pick but I changed it when I recently heard Mike Mayock predicting that Kenrick Ellis won't make it out of the 2nd round. but if Ellis is there in the 3rd, it's a no-brainer.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-11-2011, 01:46 PM

Steelers are looking for a TE and i think they will draft one in mid-rounds though.

You are probably right. The problem is what we really need is an all around TE who can inline block on the line of scrimmage, and pass protect in the back field, and flex to a full back lead blocking role on occasion, and slip out into a passing route every once in a while. Those are usually 1st or 2nd round guys. And this year, I just can't bear to not go CB, OL, DL in those first 2 rounds.

hawaiiansteel
04-11-2011, 02:00 PM

You are probably right. The problem is what we really need is an all around TE who can inline block on the line of scrimmage, and pass protect in the back field, and flex to a full back lead blocking role on occasion, and slip out into a passing route every once in a while. Those are usually 1st or 2nd round guys. And this year, I just can't bear to not go CB, OL, DL in those first 2 rounds.

we went to TE Julius Thomas' Pro Day and reportedly were very impressed with him. he's expected to be a 5th rounder...

however, Jim Wexell recently tweeted that the TE that Bruce Arians is totally in love with is Lance Kendricks, who if he's still available when we pick in Round 3 will be very tempting.

StarSpangledSteeler
04-11-2011, 06:38 PM

we went to TE Julius Thomas' Pro Day and reportedly were very impressed with him. he's expected to be a 5th rounder...

however, Jim Wexell recently tweeted that the TE that Bruce Arians is totally in love with is Lance Kendricks, who if he's still available when we pick in Round 3 will be very tempting.

I wouldn't "hate" Hendricks as a back up but I don't want him in the first 4 rounds. I would rather spend that pick on additional CB, DL, or even OL. Plus, I don't know if Arians gets what he wants this year. The F.O. gave him his pick of Spaeth and I think we all know how that turned out. He might not be the best assesor of TE talent. Another issue is, it's possible Arians won't be around that much longer. A new OC wouldn't necessarily go with the same formations. But I digress... To me, 6'3" 240 with 32" arms 9.5" hands and a 4.65 forty is not 3rd round material for a TE.

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2011, 03:44 AM

I wouldn't "hate" Hendricks as a back up but I don't want him in the first 4 rounds. I would rather spend that pick on additional CB, DL, or even OL. Plus, I don't know if Arians gets what he wants this year. The F.O. gave him his pick of Spaeth and I think we all know how that turned out. He might not be the best assesor of TE talent. Another issue is, it's possible Arians won't be around that much longer. A new OC wouldn't necessarily go with the same formations. But I digress... To me, 6'3" 240 with 32" arms 9.5" hands and a 4.65 forty is not 3rd round material for a TE.

Kendricks is actually now projected to go in the 2d round and I agree with you, we have much bigger needs elsewhere than to spend a 2nd round pick on a TE.

by the way, I really like your mock... :Cheers

StarSpangledSteeler
04-12-2011, 04:29 AM

Kendricks is actually now projected to go in the 2d round and I agree with you, we have much bigger needs elsewhere than to spend a 2nd round pick on a TE.

by the way, I really like your mock... :Cheers

Gracias, Hawaiian. I've been thinking a lot lately about the possibility of trading back into the second. Normally I would say no, because Colbert's record is so good in the first round I want him to keep his pick there. For some reason he seems to evaluate elite talent much better than good talent. However, the Steelers just had what appears to be one of their most productive drafts in history last year by using the shot gun approach (use all ten picks) and that tells me their current scouting staff is doing a better than average job of evaluating late round talent. It would be awfully tempting to acquire an additional 3 picks. You basically double your chances of snagging a late round gem. Or you can trade back up from 2.31 into the mid second. I'm on the fence.