PDA

View Full Version : Ras-I Dowling & others visit Steelers

PSU_dropout43
04-07-2011, 04:29 PM
More draft prospects visit Steelers
Thursday, April 07, 2011
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Four more college draft prospects are visiting the Steelers today, none considered a first-round pick.

They are wide receiver Austin Pettis of Boise State, running back Da'rel Scott of Maryland, cornerback Cortez Allen of The Citadel and cornerback Ras-I Dowling of the University of Virginia.

In addition, at least one more prospect will visit on Friday -- Auburn defensive tackle Zach Clayton.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11097/11 ... z1Is4hxlKV (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11097/1137733-100.stm#ixzz1Is4hxlKV)

PSU_dropout43
04-07-2011, 05:04 PM
Gil Brandt -

Virginia CB Ras-I Dowling needed a big pro day performance Monday to prove that an injury-riddled senior season hasn’t diminished what he can bring to an NFL team, and the kid excelled in front of representatives from 25 teams who came to watch him work out.

Dowling measured in at 6-foot-1 5/8 and 199 pounds, running 4.36 and 4.43 seconds in the 40-yard dash. He also ran a 6.85 3-cone drill and 4.26 short shuttle, but stood on his jumps and bench press from the NFL Scouting Combine.

Dowling did all the DB position drills and looked very good, definitely increasing his position in the draft. He could very well end up being taken in the bottom of the first round, and definitely should be gone by the top of the second.

focosteeler
04-07-2011, 05:12 PM
If he passes all the doctors tests I would have no problem with us taking him at 31. I have seen multiple people say he was considered round 1 talent before the injury.

grotonsteel
04-07-2011, 05:41 PM
If he passes all the doctors tests I would have no problem with us taking him at 31. I have seen multiple people say he was considered round 1 talent before the injury.

+1

I would not mind taking him in Rd1 if he is healthy.

steelblood
04-07-2011, 07:45 PM
knee and hamstring injuries and a broken ankle all in one year. That will make it difficult to take him in the first. But, he does have the talent and size to be an exceptional corner.

RuthlessBurgher
04-07-2011, 08:09 PM
Talent-wise, Ras-I is behind only Peterson and Prince. A healthy Dowling is better than Jimmy Smith, Brandon Harris, or Aaron Williams. If his Senior year wasn't ravaged by injury (he did play in 35 of 37 possible games prior to his injury-riddled Senior campaign), he would likely have been a mid-first round prospect. His individual workout performance this week showed that he is finally healthy. I was actually hoping that he wouldn't put on a show, and therefore would fall down to us at #63 because other teams would be scared off by his injuries not allowing him to work out for them prior to the draft (which was the reason why Heath Miller fell into our laps once upon a time). But now that he has shown his considerable wares, and has vaulted himself up into late-1st, early-2nd consideration, he is now my realistic 1st round target (since my initial wish list of getting Pouncey in the first and Dowling in the second is pure pipe-dream fantasy at this point). I still want us to try to trade up for Pouncey if he happens to fall within range, but if not, I'd be happy with Dowling, either at #31 or after a reasonable trade-down with one of the teams in the early second who want to move up to get their pick of the second tier of QB litter.

Oviedo
04-08-2011, 08:07 AM
Talent-wise, Ras-I is behind only Peterson and Prince. A healthy Dowling is better than Jimmy Smith, Brandon Harris, or Aaron Williams. If his Senior year wasn't ravaged by injury (he did play in 35 of 37 possible games prior to his injury-riddled Senior campaign), he would likely have been a mid-first round prospect. His individual workout performance this week showed that he is finally healthy. I was actually hoping that he wouldn't put on a show, and therefore would fall down to us at #63 because other teams would be scared off by his injuries not allowing him to work out for them prior to the draft (which was the reason why Heath Miller fell into our laps once upon a time). But now that he has shown his considerable wares, and has vaulted himself up into late-1st, early-2nd consideration, he is now my realistic 1st round target (since my initial wish list of getting Pouncey in the first and Dowling in the second is pure pipe-dream fantasy at this point). I still want us to try to trade up for Pouncey if he happens to fall within range, but if not, I'd be happy with Dowling, either at #31 or after a reasonable trade-down with one of the teams in the early second who want to move up to get their pick of the second tier of QB litter.

BTW--replace Barksdale with Jah Reid and I'll take the mock in your signature.

Dee Dub
04-08-2011, 11:09 AM
I think the Steelers should move up into the middle of round two and draft Dowling. I think he will be there because of the injuries this past year. Adding Rahim Moore and Ras-I Dowling will give the Steelers the best secondary in the NFL. And this will trickle down and help the entire Steelers defense.

Ruthless…nice to see you back on the band wagon. :wink:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-08-2011, 11:34 AM
Not all that crazy about his shuttle & cone times but I did here them say he looked good enough in position drills to warrant 1st round consideration. If he clears medically, I'm in at #31.

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2011, 12:29 PM
I think the Steelers should move up into the middle of round two and draft Dowling. I think he will be there because of the injuries this past year. Adding Rahim Moore and Ras-I Dowling will give the Steelers the best secondary in the NFL. And this will trickle down and help the entire Steelers defense.

Ruthless…nice to see you back on the band wagon. :wink:

I never got off the Dowling bandwagon. For the longest time I was hoping for Pouncey at #31 and Dowling at #63. Now since it looks more and more likely that Pouncey is destined for the mid-first (and out our range for a reasonable trade-up) and Dowling is vaulting back up to consideration in the early stages of round 2, I've come to the realization that if we want Ras-I, we have to take him where we can get him (and if we can get him with a reasonable trade back to get something extra to work with...that much the better).

steelblood
04-08-2011, 12:35 PM

I know many on this board believe that a healthy Dowling is better than Jimmy Smith. But, I watched both of them play games when healthy. And, even though I believe Dowling to be a better athlete, Smith was a better corner imho. In press man coverage, Smith can be a beast. In man, Dowling gets turned around too easily for my taste. Now, if zone is your bag, than Dowling is the better player. But, I think (from the playoffs) that the Steelers learned that press man gave them the best chance of success against good teams. Now, I do believe that Dowling can improve his technique and that he is a better citizen than Smith (who may not even be on the the Steeler's draft board). But, there is a reason why people didn't challenge Smith and they did go after Dowling.

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2011, 12:40 PM
Yeah, I think Jimmy Smith slit his own throat when lying about his checkered past during combine interviews. The teams already know the answers to the questions they are asking you, genius...they just want to see if you will level with them or not.

I think Phil Taylor and Kenrick Ellis are in play for the Steelers in spite of their checkered pasts because they manned up about it...Jimmy Smith did not, and he is likely off our draft board altogether because of it.

On the contrary, Ras-I seems like a quality person in addition to being a quality player, and we have had luck with early round picks from UVa in the past (James Farrior...even though we weren't the team that actually drafted him...and Heath Miller).

ramblinjim
04-08-2011, 12:51 PM
I think VA may also play a base 3-4, or did under Al Groh, and even though the secondary's are not necessarily effected by a 3-4 vs. 4-3, there would be some familiarity regarding run support right? Or am I just digging to far here??

Dee Dub
04-08-2011, 01:38 PM
Not all that crazy about his shuttle & cone times but I did here them say he looked good enough in position drills to warrant 1st round consideration. If he clears medically, I'm in at #31.

Sweet!! Nice to have you back to JPN. :wink:

[quote="Dee Dub":3ldhrqyw]When did getting hurt in one season become a red flag? Football is a physical sport. A violent sport. There are years when players will get hurt. I see Ras-I Dowling as having played 4 years at Virginia and having been hurt one out of those 4 years. That too me isn’t a red flag.

Dee...I was in love with the kid before this too. But having a 2nd round grade and playing only 5 games you senior year because of injuries, one of which was this hammy, it isn't good when you come to the combine after months away from the game and you pull up lame on your first act of physical activity. Dowling ended up missing every workout at the combine where questions needed to be answered.

Look at this in comparison to this. A very good starting CB in the last year of a rookie deal ends up playing only 8 games out of the season. His previous years he was relatively injury free. He misses time all year with nagging knee and hamstring injuries. Upon his return at the end of the season, he ends up fracturing his ankle. The next year when he is a free agent, he visits a club to do a workout. On the first run of his workout, he pulls up lame with a hammy. Do you discount his last year and pay him top dollar to join your team? One thing considered in this scenario is the player has a body of work in the NFL to go back on when he was healthy. Dowling doesn't even have that to show, just his collegiate career as his resume. You have to see the risk of burning a 2nd rounder on him.[/quote:3ldhrqyw]

Dee Dub
04-08-2011, 01:43 PM
I never got off the Dowling bandwagon. For the longest time I was hoping for Pouncey at #31 and Dowling at #63. Now since it looks more and more likely that Pouncey is destined for the mid-first (and out our range for a reasonable trade-up) and Dowling is vaulting back up to consideration in the early stages of round 2, I've come to the realization that if we want Ras-I, we have to take him where we can get him (and if we can get him with a reasonable trade back to get something extra to work with...that much the better).

I'm just messin with you Ruthless. I know that you know that Ras_I is the man. As I've said before, had he not gotten hurt this past year he is right behind Patrick Peterson.

hawaiiansteel
04-08-2011, 02:18 PM
Report: Virginia CB Ras-I Dowling & Maryland RB Da’rel Scott Make Pre Draft Visits

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review reports that Virginia cornerback Ras-I Dowling and Maryland running back Da'rel Scott both made pre draft visits today to visit with the Steelers. Dowling ran a 4.40 40-yard dash at the NFL scouting combine, but injured his hamstring on the first run and sat out the rest of the drills. His durability is a concern as he was limited to just five games last season at Virginia due to injuries. Dowling measures in at 6 foot 1 and 3/8 and weighs 198 pounds. He is currently projected as a 2nd round draft pick.

Scott started in all 13 games at running back for Maryland and was second on the team with 708 rushing yards. He measures in at 5 foot 11 and 211 pounds. He ran in the low 4.4 range at the combine back in February and is considered a 5th or 6th round draft pick.

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/re ... ft-visits/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/report-virginia-cb-ras-i-dowling-maryland-rb-darel-scott-make-pre-draft-visits/)

Steel Life
04-08-2011, 02:43 PM
If it's to be a CB in the 2nd, I'd rather stay put & draft Davon House...he's durable & physical.

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2011, 03:06 PM
If it's to be a CB in the 2nd, I'd rather stay put & draft Davon House...he's durable & physical.

I'd like House in the second if we opt to draft someone like Derek Sherrod or Cam Heyward in the first.

Dee Dub
04-08-2011, 05:02 PM

Before his senior year you could have said the same about Dowling. House isnt nearly as physical as Dowling. I will stand by it...I think Dowling is the second best corner in this draft.

hawaiiansteel
04-08-2011, 05:23 PM
I will stand by it...I think Dowling is the second best corner in this draft.

I agree with you...and by the way, you'll need to change Dowling in your mock, he will never last until our 2nd round pick at #63.

Dee Dub
04-08-2011, 05:43 PM
I will stand by it...I think Dowling is the second best corner in this draft.

I agree with you...and by the way, you'll need to change Dowling in your mock, he will never last until our 2nd round pick at #63.

I know...but I have said several times that the Steelers will need to move up to at least mid-second round for him. 48-53 some where in that range.

hawaiiansteel
04-08-2011, 05:54 PM
[quote="Dee Dub":1k2gzi4y]I will stand by it...I think Dowling is the second best corner in this draft.

I know...but I have said several times that the Steelers will need to move up to at least mid-second round for him. 48-53 some where in that range.[/quote:1k2gzi4y]

I definitely think we would have to move up in front of Al Davis and the Raiders at #48...Nmandi Asomugha just became an UFA.

Va Steelr
04-08-2011, 06:02 PM
I have been a UVA fan my whole life and I can tell you.Dowling is the real deal.He is a solid citizen and a smart kid,he is a physical.As far as his man to man skills.I think with
Lake as a coach he will only improve.If we can get him it would be a good choice,and
yas.UVA played a 3-4 until this past season.

Va Steelr
04-08-2011, 06:03 PM
I have been a UVA fan my whole life and I can tell you.Dowling is the real deal.He is a solid citizen and a smart kid,he is a physical.As far as his man to man skills.I think with
Lake as a coach he will only improve.If we can get him it would be a good choice,and
yas.UVA played a 3-4 until this past season.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-09-2011, 08:58 AM
Sweet!! Nice to have you back to JPN. :wink:

Almost didn't after he canceled his first Proday. But I liked him from the start and you know that. Told you to save me a seat on this wagon...I'll be getting back on if he clears medically and I hear no negative reports about his positional workouts or see them for myself and don't like them. Pulling up lame at the combine had me worried about his 2010 injuries and moving his wokout date just about closed the book. This time he did a full work out including shuttle & cone and I heard he looked good in position drills. Would like to have seen the drills myself but if I don't hear anything bad about him I can only go along. If cleared, He's actually the #1 CB on my list we have a shot at followed by Curtis Brown. I'm not a WIlliams or Harris fan at #31 because of the "Plan B" on them.

ikestops85
04-11-2011, 01:45 PM
I'd like House in the second if we opt to draft someone like Derek Sherrod or Cam Heyward in the first.

and if someone gets a mysterious illness he could help out :moon

http://holmes.spontaneousderivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/house-md.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
04-11-2011, 02:07 PM

and if someone gets a mysterious illness he could help out :moon

http://holmes.spontaneousderivation.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/house-md.jpg

He already has a prior relationship with Coach Omar Epps, too, so the transition should be smooth. :wink: