PDA

View Full Version : Latest ESPN Mocks from McShay and Kiper

Oviedo
04-07-2011, 10:24 AM
http://espn.go.com/nfl/draft

McShay and Kiper have posted their latest three round mock drafts. Here is how they have us going:

McShay
Rd1: Watkins, OG--don't like
Rd2: Patrick, CB--hate that. He is another Gay from U of L
Rd3: Stocker, TE--I like!!!!!

Kiper
Rd1: Williams, CB/S--I like
Rd2: Ijalana, OT--I like
Rd3: Pettis, WR--I'm OK with. Round 3 seems to be our WR round.

IMO McShay wins the "I want to bring the Steelers down award"

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-07-2011, 11:19 AM
I don't like either 1st round picks. Could live with Watkins but I don't like Williams at all. If he can't play CB we will get zero effort at S. Not a big fan of Patrick. Big fan of Ijalana and would die if he lasts until 2nd. However, actually think he could be on the Steelers radar in the 1st. Mayock now has him is the 5th rated OT with Sherrod. OK with both 3rds.

Chadman
04-07-2011, 11:28 AM
Kiper has switched- he had Watkins to the Steelers last Chadman saw him.

Williams is a very strong possibility- he fits too many catagories. This fear he can't play CB is based on what? Combine measurables? The dude can play- otherwise why is he considered such a high draft option? And it'll be at CB- not FS.

Ijalana doesn't fit- level of competition will go against him if history is any guide. Rodney Hudson makes more sense. Marcus Gilbert makes more sense. Put that name in your little black & gold book.

Stocker is fine, but Arians loves Kendricks. DJ Williams might fit there too. Pettis looks a player & a fine selection. After the first 2 rounds it becomes about value and potential. Very hard to predict how things go from Round 3 onwards as there are so many variables. Just hope the Steelers select quality.

Oviedo
04-07-2011, 11:58 AM

Williams is a very strong possibility- he fits too many catagories. This fear he can't play CB is based on what? Combine measurables? The dude can play- otherwise why is he considered such a high draft option? And it'll be at CB- not FS.

Ijalana doesn't fit- level of competition will go against him if history is any guide. Rodney Hudson makes more sense. Marcus Gilbert makes more sense. Put that name in your little black & gold book.

Stocker is fine, but Arians loves Kendricks. DJ Williams might fit there too. Pettis looks a player & a fine selection. After the first 2 rounds it becomes about value and potential. Very hard to predict how things go from Round 3 onwards as there are so many variables. Just hope the Steelers select quality.

I agree that Williams would be a good pick. maybe not great but definitely good given that we are picking #31. Everyone seems to be concerned he can't play CB. I agree with Chadman...based on what? Could he really be worse than Bmac, Gay, Lewis or Madison (Butler gets a pass since he was in LeBeau mandated rookie detention last year)? I don't think so.

Even if he proves tobe a better FS than CB that's not an issue. Clark is getting old and with him runnimng his mouth he may be out of here faster than we think. Williams would be agreat FS and a huge upgrade over Clark.

steelblood
04-07-2011, 12:02 PM
Either of those drafts would be alright. I don't love Stocker. He is a balanced TE who can do a little of everything. But, he isn't great in any area. We took a TE like that in the third round once before and I still don't get it.

papillon
04-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Who are the best juniors from high profile programs in the draft at positions of need for the Steelers? That's who I believe they will be taking. Tomlin likes young guys with big upside and if they happen to fulfill that upside immediately (Pouncey), so much the better.

Mendenhall
Timmons
Pouncey

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-07-2011, 12:44 PM

Well combine measurables say he can play CB...Has nothing to do with it. He didn't look good in postion drills at the combine and Proday. He has stiff hips and can not turn them coming out of his back pedal. When you watch game tape he doesn't close well when he plays off and gives up many short passes. Not very excited about physical play and that doesn't translate well to moving to S. After hearing his interview on Sirius and pretty much saying he wants to be a CB and a CB only...I will pass. It isn't an opinion by me or anyone in here. It is what everyone says and is talking about. After seeing it, Mayock took him from his 4th best CB to taking him off the CB Top 5 and putting him as the #1 rated S. Williams will be, if he wants it, a solid FS who could drop down in man to man coverage on base.

Ijalana fits. Many agree. Watch him play even though it is against your "lower level". He dominates the lower level and that is what you want to see. Projection is tough because of lower level but if he was working out through this wholes process he would be easily in all converations. Had his proday and still isn't healthy but put up solid numbers. The more his name goes out and the more tape is viewed...He will move up. Already moved up on Mayocks board. He is now rated the 5th best OT tied with Sherrod and Gilbert is close on Mayocks board. Ijalna stature makes him a strong canidate to play G while he waits his turn. He has good feet and agility to be a pulling G and plays with good leverage. He can get to the 2nd level. He has big men arms at 36" and with Koogs perfecting his kickslide...His upside could be a premier OT. Your guide of small school ..Ijalana has been compared to a more athletic Vladimir Ducasse who can play LT at the next level. Ducasse is fairing well wouldn't you say? Hudson makes no sense at #31. He would makes sense in round 2.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-07-2011, 02:11 PM
Rd2: Patrick, CB--hate that. He is another Gay from U of L

Come on Ov.

This kind of homophobia is unacceptable on a forum such as ours. :nono

:lol: :wink:

hawaiiansteel
04-07-2011, 03:10 PM
The Danny Watkins Fascination

Posted on April 6, 2011 by adam

If you’ve been paying attention to the endless stream of mock drafts floating around the Internet over the past couple of months there’s a good chance you’ve stumbled across one that featured the Steelers using their first-round pick on Baylor guard Danny Watkins. We’ve talked about this quite a bit, and as long as it keeps coming up we’ll continue to laugh at it. The latest expert to send Watkins in Pittsburgh’s direction: Mel Kiper’s arch-nemesis at ESPN, Todd McShay.

Said McShay (it’s an Insider article behind their pay wall): What do you think the Las Vegas odds would have been at the start of the 2010 season that Baylor would have back-to-back picks in the first round? In all seriousness, Watkins is solid in pass protection and as a run blocker and brings a nasty disposition to the table. He would be a nice fit next to 2010 first-rounder and Pro Bowler Maurkice Pouncey. The Steelers could also opt for a cornerback like Williams or Harris, but the interior offensive line is Pittsburgh’s top need.

I’m guessing the odds of Baylor players going back-to-back (he has the Jets taking defensive tackle Phil Taylor with the pick just before the Steelers) in the first round are better than that of the Steelers using their top pick on a 26-year-old (who will turn 27 during the season) guard.

For one, here’s a quick look at the age of every Steelers first round draft pick since 2000 during their rookie season:

Maurkice Pouncey (21), Ziggy Hood (22), Rashard Mendenhall (21), Lawrence Timmons (21), Santonio Holmes (22), Heath Miller (22), Ben Roethlisberger (22), Troy Polamalu (22), Kendall Simmons (23), Casey Hampton (23), Plaxico Burress (22).

Since Mike Tomlin has been the Steelers’ head coach the first-round picks have consistently been on the lower side of 22. All young. All athletic. All with rather large upside. I’m not saying that Watkins can’t possibly get any better than he already is — he has, after all, only played football for three years — but how much upside does he really have at this point?

If he were to join the Steelers roster for the 2011 season he would be older than the following the players on the day he arrived, before he suited up for one practice: Dennis Dixon, Jonathan Dwyer, Rashard Mendenhall, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace, David Johnson, Doug Legursky, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster, Chris Scott, Ziggy Hood, Steve McClendon, Stevenson Sylvester, Lawrence Timmons, Jason Worilds, Crezdon Butler, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Ryan Mundy.

He would also be older than Limas Sweed, Ra’shon Harris and Tyler Grisham, and within weeks of Tony Hills and Isaac Redman. Needless to say, that’s a large chunk of the roster and practice squad.

I suppose it’s possible the Steelers could value Watkins and be willing to overlook his age, but it would represent quite a shift in drafting strategy (at least as far as the first round is concerned).

I’m betting against it.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/d ... #more-4768 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/danny-watkins-fascination/#more-4768)

Oviedo
04-07-2011, 04:01 PM
The Danny Watkins Fascination

Posted on April 6, 2011 by adam

If you’ve been paying attention to the endless stream of mock drafts floating around the Internet over the past couple of months there’s a good chance you’ve stumbled across one that featured the Steelers using their first-round pick on Baylor guard Danny Watkins. We’ve talked about this quite a bit, and as long as it keeps coming up we’ll continue to laugh at it. The latest expert to send Watkins in Pittsburgh’s direction: Mel Kiper’s arch-nemesis at ESPN, Todd McShay.

Said McShay (it’s an Insider article behind their pay wall): What do you think the Las Vegas odds would have been at the start of the 2010 season that Baylor would have back-to-back picks in the first round? In all seriousness, Watkins is solid in pass protection and as a run blocker and brings a nasty disposition to the table. He would be a nice fit next to 2010 first-rounder and Pro Bowler Maurkice Pouncey. The Steelers could also opt for a cornerback like Williams or Harris, but the interior offensive line is Pittsburgh’s top need.

I’m guessing the odds of Baylor players going back-to-back (he has the Jets taking defensive tackle Phil Taylor with the pick just before the Steelers) in the first round are better than that of the Steelers using their top pick on a 26-year-old (who will turn 27 during the season) guard.

For one, here’s a quick look at the age of every Steelers first round draft pick since 2000 during their rookie season:

Maurkice Pouncey (21), Ziggy Hood (22), Rashard Mendenhall (21), Lawrence Timmons (21), Santonio Holmes (22), Heath Miller (22), Ben Roethlisberger (22), Troy Polamalu (22), Kendall Simmons (23), Casey Hampton (23), Plaxico Burress (22).

Since Mike Tomlin has been the Steelers’ head coach the first-round picks have consistently been on the lower side of 22. All young. All athletic. All with rather large upside. I’m not saying that Watkins can’t possibly get any better than he already is — he has, after all, only played football for three years — but how much upside does he really have at this point?

If he were to join the Steelers roster for the 2011 season he would be older than the following the players on the day he arrived, before he suited up for one practice: Dennis Dixon, Jonathan Dwyer, Rashard Mendenhall, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Mike Wallace, David Johnson, Doug Legursky, Maurkice Pouncey, Ramon Foster, Chris Scott, Ziggy Hood, Steve McClendon, Stevenson Sylvester, Lawrence Timmons, Jason Worilds, Crezdon Butler, William Gay, Keenan Lewis, Ryan Mundy.

He would also be older than Limas Sweed, Ra’shon Harris and Tyler Grisham, and within weeks of Tony Hills and Isaac Redman. Needless to say, that’s a large chunk of the roster and practice squad.

I suppose it’s possible the Steelers could value Watkins and be willing to overlook his age, but it would represent quite a shift in drafting strategy (at least as far as the first round is concerned).

I’m betting against it.

http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/d ... #more-4768 (http://www.steelerslounge.com/2011/04/danny-watkins-fascination/#more-4768)

I don't see Watkins and I REALLY hope I'm right.

Chadman
04-07-2011, 05:47 PM
Well combine measurables say he can play CB...Has nothing to do with it. He didn't look good in postion drills at the combine and Proday. He has stiff hips and can not turn them coming out of his back pedal. When you watch game tape he doesn't close well when he plays off and gives up many short passes. Not very excited about physical play and that doesn't translate well to moving to S. After hearing his interview on Sirius and pretty much saying he wants to be a CB and a CB only...I will pass. It isn't an opinion by me or anyone in here. It is what everyone says and is talking about. After seeing it, Mayock took him from his 4th best CB to taking him off the CB Top 5 and putting him as the #1 rated S. Williams will be, if he wants it, a solid FS who could drop down in man to man coverage on base.

Mate- think you've got this the wrong way around. He was rated the 4th or 5th best CB before the combine. But because he doesn't run a 4.34 he's suddenly a FS & not a CB. Yet his college career was good enough, as a CB, to have him rated as the 4th or 5th best CB entering the combine. So what is it? Is gameplay or combine results the better indication of his ability? And his Sirius interview (which Chadman has not heard) seems to fly in the face of the interview transcript found in the "Meet Aaron Williams" thread found on this site, where he said he was open to playing CB or FS. And his tackling ability isn't good enough, apparently, to translate to Safety, yet both Mayock & now you say he's the #1 Safety in the draft- ??

Ijalana fits. Many agree. Watch him play even though it is against your "lower level". He dominates the lower level and that is what you want to see. Projection is tough because of lower level but if he was working out through this wholes process he would be easily in all converations. Had his proday and still isn't healthy but put up solid numbers. The more his name goes out and the more tape is viewed...He will move up. Already moved up on Mayocks board. He is now rated the 5th best OT tied with Sherrod and Gilbert is close on Mayocks board. Ijalna stature makes him a strong canidate to play G while he waits his turn. He has good feet and agility to be a pulling G and plays with good leverage. He can get to the 2nd level. He has big men arms at 36" and with Koogs perfecting his kickslide...His upside could be a premier OT. Your guide of small school ..Ijalana has been compared to a more athletic Vladimir Ducasse who can play LT at the next level. Ducasse is fairing well wouldn't you say? Hudson makes no sense at #31. He would makes sense in round 2.

Ijalana doesn't fit at all. Name the last small school prospect, drafted under the Tomlin/Colbert regime, in the 1st or even 2nd round. There isn't one. They don't draft small school players early. Cowher did- yes- but not Tomlin. Not saying Ijalana won't be a good player- he might be- but the current FO for the Steelers don't seem to take those sort of risks. Was Vladimir Ducasse ever considered a potential Steelers pick? No? Why? Timmons, Mendenhall, Pouncey & Hood all came from strong programs & played against strong competition. Woodley, Worilds & Sweed- the 2nd rounders- all big schools/big programs. It's not Chadman's opinion- it's the history of Tomlin/Colbert. That is why Hudson is a better fit- better level of competition. Gilbert is a better fit in Round 2 as well- again, competition.

The Steelers have hit more often than missed in the early rounds under Colbert/Tomlin- and it's quite possible that it's because of this very drafting method/theory- big school, big production. The more battle tested the player- the less likely they are of being a reach-risk.

Chadman
04-07-2011, 05:49 PM
Who are the best juniors from high profile programs in the draft at positions of need for the Steelers? That's who I believe they will be taking. Tomlin likes young guys with big upside and if they happen to fulfill that upside immediately (Pouncey), so much the better.

Mendenhall
Timmons
Pouncey

Pappy

That would be Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris, Martez Wilson, Rahim Moore or Corey Luiget, Pappy.

Take your pick...

grotonsteel
04-07-2011, 05:49 PM
I like Mel Kiper one better.

Aaron Williams
Ben Ijalana
Austin Pettis

Steelers can get Austin Pettis in 4th Rd IMO. I would take a TE like Luke Stocker in 3rd Rd.

The Sodfather
04-08-2011, 06:21 AM
Kiper's is fine

I sure hope McShay is dead wrong. That's just awful, IMO.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Mate- think you've got this the wrong way around. He was rated the 4th or 5th best CB before the combine. But because he doesn't run a 4.34 he's suddenly a FS & not a CB. Yet his college career was good enough, as a CB, to have him rated as the 4th or 5th best CB entering the combine. So what is it? Is gameplay or combine results the better indication of his ability? And his Sirius interview (which Chadman has not heard) seems to fly in the face of the interview transcript found in the "Meet Aaron Williams" thread found on this site, where he said he was open to playing CB or FS. And his tackling ability isn't good enough, apparently, to translate to Safety, yet both Mayock & now you say he's the #1 Safety in the draft- ??

Ijalana doesn't fit at all. Name the last small school prospect, drafted under the Tomlin/Colbert regime, in the 1st or even 2nd round. There isn't one. They don't draft small school players early. Cowher did- yes- but not Tomlin. Not saying Ijalana won't be a good player- he might be- but the current FO for the Steelers don't seem to take those sort of risks. Was Vladimir Ducasse ever considered a potential Steelers pick? No? Why? Timmons, Mendenhall, Pouncey & Hood all came from strong programs & played against strong competition. Woodley, Worilds & Sweed- the 2nd rounders- all big schools/big programs. It's not Chadman's opinion- it's the history of Tomlin/Colbert. That is why Hudson is a better fit- better level of competition. Gilbert is a better fit in Round 2 as well- again, competition.

The Steelers have hit more often than missed in the early rounds under Colbert/Tomlin- and it's quite possible that it's because of this very drafting method/theory- big school, big production. The more battle tested the player- the less likely they are of being a reach-risk.

I agree with many of the talent evaluators on Williams & Ijalana. It seems you are just a measurable guy since who whole theory is just because he didn't run a 4.3. That straight line speed 40 does not identify a CB. Williams combine measurables were better than Prince's but he is far less the player. Run a bad 40, you better put up good shuttle & cones times and show good change of direction and look fluid in position drills. Williams timed drills were good. But the 40, shuttle, and cone times don't show one of the more important apsects of a CB game. The ability to back pedal, REACT, come out of a back pedal, turn the hips and run. That is where Williams struggled at the combine and Prodays. They all picked up on it. That's why Mayock dropped him from a Top 4 CB to the #1 rated S. Has the tools, but more importantly, has to want to play S if that is where he needs to play. Has enough skill to drop down and cover a guy man-to-man in a base D out of a blitz from the S spot. Has good change of direction and range to read a QB in a zone or playing center field to break on a WR. But as far as getting up on a WR, reading the route, and reacting to make a play...The signs are there he will struggle at the next level.

Watch his highlights too. Nothing screams "lock down". He didn't face NFL caliber WRs every game and he didn't dominate any of them. I was high on him until after the combine. I started watching highlights of him and saw what everyone else saw. Then I heard his interview on Sirius and don't want him. Not liking his interview is my opinion. Tim & Pat asked him what his response was to the talent evaluators saying his best position at the next level might be S and what he thought about playing S. His answer was he was a CB and he belived he could play CB at the next level. They asked again how he would feel if he was told he would move to S. His response was he hoped they would give him the opportunity to play CB first. That's where he wants to play. But if the teams that picks him feels he can't play there he would play S. But his last sentence of that answer was to reiterate he felt he could play CB. That was weeks before his Proday and the interview you referenced was after his Proday. I'm sure he got some sound advice after that interview. To me it is obvious since the answer this time was a blount 6 word sentence, "No, it doesn't matter to me." Also don't like where they asked what he worked on and he said his back pedal by repitition. That should be natural coming out of college. My opinion is he sounds like a selfish player who will not give a full effort if he moves to S. To be honest, if he doesn't work at CB I see Limas Sweed. That's my opinion of him and if the Steelers take him....God I hope I'm wrong!

Ijalana play fits. I'm not the one putting him in the conversation. His stock might take a hit because he still hasn't recovered from his sports hernia. There are many who like his talent. Using 4 drafts to make a point about "lower level" players the Steelers didn't consider is weak. You are looking at a ratio of at best 10 of 128 prospects over Tomlin's drafts. Do you even know how many of those players were still on the boards? Those players being rated as 1st & 2nd round talent is rare in contrast to other programs like the ones you mentioned. Vladimir Ducasse was interviewed at the combine by the Steelers and they were at his Proday. What is you defenition of "potential pick" or enough interest? They selected Pouncey in the 1st...Because they didn't select Ducasse with there next pick is evidence the Steelers don't like small school players? Do you want to use the fact that we didn't talk to Joe Flacco in the 2008 draft because he was from Delaware? If you want I could post the 1st rounds of all Tomlin's drafts and you could point out all the "lower level" prospects that Tomlin & Colbert had a shot at and chose to overlook them because they were from smaller schools? The Steelers have experienced dissappointments from the big schools under Colbert in the first two rounds as well as throughout the draft. The schools products didn't change when Tomlin was hired. Where do you put the MAC? Lower Level? Because the highest draft pick the Steelers had in a long period of time came from a "lower level" school in the MAC called Miami (Ohio) and it seemed the Steelers had a little interest in that player. Villanova is still under the MAC but there are many "lower level" players selected high who produce.

I like Gilbert but there is no way I would take him over Ijalana in the 2nd. Ijalana will be gone and Gilbert could still be there. Gilbert ceiling is a RT and Ijalana could play LT. If you are telling me you believe the Steelers are influenced when putting a board together strictly by the college they came out of and not basing on production, evaluation, and workouts that says enough to me.

RuthlessBurgher
04-08-2011, 12:24 PM
While I am not interested in Ijalana in the first round, if he somehow managed to fall to our pick in the second, he would be a no-brainer pick to me at #63 over someone like Marcus Gilbert.

Chadman
04-08-2011, 01:17 PM
If you are telling me you believe the Steelers are influenced when putting a board together strictly by the college they came out of and not basing on production, evaluation, and workouts that says enough to me.

:D

Don't get pissy- we've been on this board long enough to not get upset because we don't agree on something.

Chadman thinks we might be misinterperting our takes on Williams- for Chadman, combine & pro day mean very little outside of who the Steelers send in attendance. From what Tomlin & Colbert say in interviews, the prodays/combine are of more use for one-on-one interviews than any real measurables.

It's gameplay that counts for Chadman. Now, there could very well be technique issues with Williams. He might not be super-duper fast either. Hey- he might not lift 225lbs twice! BUT- he did something for 3 years that has him evaluated as a late 1st or early 2nd round draft pick- play CB. Chadman isn't willing to discount 3 years of work for 1 month of interviews. Now- you might have a different view of what happens on tape- that's cool- but somewhere in there, scouts, football people, thought he was doing something well enough to be a high draft pick. At CB too. This Safety thing has only come post-Combine- all to do with measurables.

As for Ijalana- Chadman will stick by the theory- Big School, Big Production, Good Competition. That's what Tomlin & Colbert look for. It's not an EXACT science- not every player from big schools will be good- but these guys are generally tested against better opposition- a good guide as it's those same guys they'll play against in the NFL. How many regular opponants from his college days will Ijalana face? How can we compare him to say- Gilbert or Rodney Hudson- who have faced more elite competition? Cowher & Colbert combined were more willing to look at small school players early- Ben, Colclough, Scott Shields (urgh)...but Tomlin hasn't shown that willingness yet. It's just an observation, but it's yet to be disproven. Ijalana might end up being a fine player. He might be better than Hudson & Gilbert combined.

BUT- if Chadman was a betting man (well, he IS, but lets just use this as an argument..) he'd follow the form guide- Big 10, Big 12, etc- that sort of level of competition.

Could be wrong- it has been known to happen before! But Timmons, Woodley, Mendy, Hood, Sweed, Pouncey & Worilds suggest that for at least the first 2 rounds, Chadman's theory has some merit.

Shawn
04-08-2011, 01:51 PM
I don't think there will be a DB worth 31. I agree with sentiment about the questions surrounding Williams. He isn't a sure thing.

I personally think the BPA will be on the OL or at DE. Heyward is a strong possibility. He will be a force. Hudson despite what mocks are showing is probably the most technically sound OG in this draft. I wouldn't think twice about taking either Hudson or Heyward at 31.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-08-2011, 03:27 PM
If you are telling me you believe the Steelers are influenced when putting a board together strictly by the college they came out of and not basing on production, evaluation, and workouts that says enough to me.

:D

Don't get pissy- we've been on this board long enough to not get upset because we don't agree on something.

Chadman thinks we might be misinterperting our takes on Williams- for Chadman, combine & pro day mean very little outside of who the Steelers send in attendance. From what Tomlin & Colbert say in interviews, the prodays/combine are of more use for one-on-one interviews than any real measurables.

It's gameplay that counts for Chadman. Now, there could very well be technique issues with Williams. He might not be super-duper fast either. Hey- he might not lift 225lbs twice! BUT- he did something for 3 years that has him evaluated as a late 1st or early 2nd round draft pick- play CB. Chadman isn't willing to discount 3 years of work for 1 month of interviews. Now- you might have a different view of what happens on tape- that's cool- but somewhere in there, scouts, football people, thought he was doing something well enough to be a high draft pick. At CB too. This Safety thing has only come post-Combine- all to do with measurables.

As for Ijalana- Chadman will stick by the theory- Big School, Big Production, Good Competition. That's what Tomlin & Colbert look for. It's not an EXACT science- not every player from big schools will be good- but these guys are generally tested against better opposition- a good guide as it's those same guys they'll play against in the NFL. How many regular opponants from his college days will Ijalana face? How can we compare him to say- Gilbert or Rodney Hudson- who have faced more elite competition? Cowher & Colbert combined were more willing to look at small school players early- Ben, Colclough, Scott Shields (urgh)...but Tomlin hasn't shown that willingness yet. It's just an observation, but it's yet to be disproven. Ijalana might end up being a fine player. He might be better than Hudson & Gilbert combined.

BUT- if Chadman was a betting man (well, he IS, but lets just use this as an argument..) he'd follow the form guide- Big 10, Big 12, etc- that sort of level of competition.

Could be wrong- it has been known to happen before! But Timmons, Woodley, Mendy, Hood, Sweed, Pouncey & Worilds suggest that for at least the first 2 rounds, Chadman's theory has some merit.
Don't see why you interpreted that as being pissy unless your feelings got hurt. :?

I have never heard Tomlin/Colbert say the combine/prodays were more for interviews and discount the workouts. They say It is an "opportunity" to sit down with prospects one-on-one basis and process them. But they have full intentions of having position coaches or coordinators putting them through individual workouts and observing them in positional workouts.

Since Tomlin, Colbert, and the defensive staff were at the Texas Proday, you can assume they are watching defensive players. But there were more players than just Williams they have interest in. So taking your assumption to they were only interested in Williams has no weight.

I'm a firm believer of "tape first" but haven't seen anything on tape that suggest Williams struggles in position drills are nothing to worry about at the next level. In his three years of work, the only reason many of us have even heard of Aaron Williams is because he plays for Texas...Not because of who Aaron Williams is.

Again, Chadman doesn't understand the measurables. Williams measurables are fine. He bettered his 40 at his Proday. The Safety talk came up because of what he showed in position drills. His "measurables" were better than Prince's except for the 40. Haven't heard on report about Prince playing S. Why...He is fluid in his backpedal, reacting, and coming out of his backpedal. Williams was not as good.

You can say all you wany about Ijalana and your view of the "big school big production". But you big school big production gave us the Alonzo Jacksons, Limas Sweeds, etc. too. Tomlin has 4 drafts under his belt and the small school guys at the top were few. Just because one isn't wearing a Steelers uniform today doesn't make your gut feeling that they don't consider them right any more than my thoughts that they do. Time will tell but I fail to believe that any players game tape would not warrant them consideration regardless of the level of competition or small school projects would never make it into the early rounds or even have success. Not playing in any all start games or working out fully hurts his Ijalana's stock but if he is playing against lesser competition and dominating, more evaluation will help project him. The talent evaluators know who he is and if Mayock has him as the 5th rated OT with Sherrod there has to be something there. I see what they see.

Using your theory of "just because" would suggest that Tomlin would not draft a TE, OT, QB, DT, S, and even CB in the 1st or 2nd round. But if you were a betting man, I would put money on the fact that will change this year in both rounds.

Hey, we share different opinions. If the Steelers do take Williams, I hope I am dead wrong on him. I hope what some talent evaluators saw is wrong. I just see better talent and prospects with less questions marks than Williams if they stay put at #31.