PDA

View Full Version : Mike Pouncey Predicts He Will Be A Cowboy

SteelCrazy
04-06-2011, 07:09 PM
Mike Pouncey, top-ranked Florida guard and brother of current Pittsburgh Steelers center Maurkice, wrapped up his visit to Valley Ranch today and wound up leaving with a bold prediction.

"Headed back to pittsburgh…. would be shocked if i wasnt in a dallas uniform nxt year! The draft is april 28th so we will see…. To all the steelers fans i would love to be playing for the steelers and if i had a choice i would but it isnt my choice…."

For the Cowboys to draft Pouncey at 9th overall would be a slight reach, but if the organization gave the center/guard combo that he would be their selection it is possible that the team is strongly considering a trade back into the mid-first round.

One thing is clear, the closer we get to the draft, the more it seems like Dallas will be selecting an offensive lineman when they are on the clock.

http://thelandryhat.com/2011/04/06/mike ... -a-cowboy/ (http://thelandryhat.com/2011/04/06/mike-pouncey-predicts-hes-going-to-be-a-cowboy/)

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2011, 07:17 PM
the Cowgirls are in dire need of an OT, I think they will choose to go in that direction and Mike Pouncey will end up being drafted by Seattle at #25.

Chadman
04-07-2011, 12:00 AM
Not so sure Chadman's all that keen on Pouncey's bravado. Confidence is one thing- but his brother didn't feel the need to give away bold predictions. In fact, if it's true that Dallas wants him- a pretty boneheaded move by Mike to announce it like that- tipping off his future employer's plans to the competitors is sure to go down well.

SteelCrazy
04-07-2011, 12:47 AM
Not so sure Chadman's all that keen on Pouncey's bravado. Confidence is one thing- but his brother didn't feel the need to give away bold predictions. In fact, if it's true that Dallas wants him- a pretty boneheaded move by Mike to announce it like that- tipping off his future employer's plans to the competitors is sure to go down well.

Maybe thats his way to ensure a pick at #31.......(the number 31 still makes me sick)

NJ-STEELER
04-07-2011, 01:31 AM
My buddy who's a cowboy fan was upset (along with others) when we selected Pouncey last year because they were hoping to draft him.

That's a bit high for him though. If they do take him, hope he snaps the ball 10 feet over romo head at a critical time

Steelers>NFL
04-07-2011, 07:58 AM

Maybe thats his way to ensure a pick at #31.......(the number 31 still makes me sick)[/quote]

Yeah, it is like being the first loser.

steelblood
04-07-2011, 08:09 AM
Mike needs to stfu.

RuthlessBurgher
04-07-2011, 09:15 AM
The team I worry about surprising everyone by taking Pouncey is Miami. Everyone and their mother has projected Mark Ingram to go there forever (after all, they need a RB with both Ronnie and Ricky being questionnable to return, and the Fins did employ Mark Ingram Sr. for a couple of seasons in the mid-90's). Now Ingram's dealing with a knee injury, and his stock is falling a bit (some have said he may even fall out of the first round altogether). I think Miami could decide to take Pouncey at #15 (if they aren't able to trade the pick) and then maybe go after someone like DeAngelo Williams in free agency (whenever that happens). I think that Ingram could then fall to the Saints, who could be interested in making him another Deuce McAllister type.

Oviedo
04-07-2011, 09:28 AM
We aren't getting Pouncey II so everyone needs to internalize that and focus on the players we can get.

We already got the better of the twins so lets be happy with that. Pouncey II is not as good as his brother and he should give Maurkice a portion of his first year salary and bonus for driving up his value higher than it probabaly deserves to be.

SteelBucks
04-07-2011, 09:37 AM
We aren't getting Pouncey II so everyone needs to internalize that and focus on the players we can get.

:Agree

steelblood
04-07-2011, 11:59 AM
Sometimes it is best to have offensive linemen who complement each other more than a pair who are mirror images. I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to have two mobile, flexible, tough interior linemen with big frames next to each other. But, perhaps more of a road grader like Cannon next to Pouncey would provide us with a better push in the run game and make the pair more effective against large nose tackles.

Oviedo
04-07-2011, 12:05 PM
Sometimes it is best to have offensive linemen who complement each other more than a pair who are mirror images. I'm not saying it wouldn't be great to have two mobile, flexible, tough interior linemen with big frames next to each other. But, perhaps more of a road grader like Cannon next to Pouncey would provide us with a better push in the run game and make the pair more effective against large nose tackles.

I'd take Cannon over Pouncey II. Cannon has OT potential where Pouncey does not plus as you atate he offers a different dimension.

The Sodfather
04-07-2011, 01:14 PM
I'm sure it's happened but off the top of my head I don't recall a C/G going in the top 10.

Little chance he gets to #31 but he's not a good enough prospect to go top 10, IMO.

RuthlessBurgher
04-07-2011, 01:18 PM
I'm sure it's happened but off the top of my head I don't recall a C/G going in the top 10.

Little chance he gets to #31 but he's not a good enough prospect to go top 10, IMO.

Bruce Matthews was a top 10 pick back in the early 80's. Although he played every position along the line at one time or another, he made the Pro Bowl as both a guard and also as a center.

PSU_dropout43
04-07-2011, 01:31 PM
John Hannah was a fourth overall pick in 1973.

And our own John Rienstra was a ninth overall pick in 1986.

The Sodfather
04-07-2011, 02:15 PM
And our own John Rienstra was a ninth overall pick in 1986.

How could I forget that? :HeadBanger

Actually I thought of him but thought he was picked like 13th.

SteelCrazy
04-07-2011, 06:07 PM
Cowboys or Steelers for Mike Pouncey?

University of Florida's Mike Pouncey is the top-rated interior lineman in this year's NFL draft. He's also one of the hottest names during this pre-draft period following solid workouts and the success of his twin brother -- Maurkice Pouncey of the Pittsburgh Steelers.

But Mike Pouncey has a hunch that he will not join his twin in Pittsburgh next season. After making the rounds and meeting with teams, Pouncey tweeted this week that he believes he will play for the Dallas Cowboys.

"Headed back to Pittsburgh ... would be shocked if i wasn't in a dallas uniform nxt year! The draft is april 28th so we will see ... To all the steelers fans i would love to be playing for the steelers and if i had a choice i would but it isnt my choice," Mike Pouncey tweeted.

Both teams need youth and depth on the offensive line. But the biggest difference is the Cowboys own the No. 9 overall pick, which is a spot Mike Pouncey should be available. Barring a draft-day trade, he's probably out of reach for Pittsburgh at No. 31.

An educated guess is Mike Pouncey doesn't land with either team. There is a lot for the Cowboys to like, but No. 9 seems a bit high for a center/guard. I also expect Mike Pouncey to be off the board by the end of the first round.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... ke-pouncey (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/26282/cowboys-or-steelers-for-mike-pouncey)

SteelCrazy
04-09-2011, 07:20 PM
Could Mike Pouncey Fall to the New York Giants at Pick 19?
April 9th, 2011 at 2:59 PM
By Serena Sanderson

We are just nineteen short days away from the 2011 NFL Draft and, perhaps not so ironically, the New York Giants have the 19th overall pick. I think we've all pretty much decided that the Giants should go for an offensive lineman with that pick, and as I was perusing the web today I found that more and more mock drafts are showing Mike Pouncey heading to the big apple.

Mike Pouncey was a guard who switched to center for his final season as a Florida Gator after his brother, Maurkice Pouncey who was drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers last season. Maurkice was the 18th pick overall and ended up at the Pro Bowl his rookie season with the Steelers. Now it's possible that Mike Pouncey will be drafted in the same area as his brother. Although Pouncey visited with the Dallas Cowboys this week and fully expects them to draft him with the ninth pick, it's unlikely that they'll do so as their needs at tackle are greater than center and guard.

The next team in line to draft someone like Pouncey is the Miami Dolphins, with the 15th pick, or even to the New Englad Patriots with the 17th pick. All of the above teams need help on the offensive line, but it's hard to say whether they think Pouncey will fit the bill or not. If he does fall to the 19th spot, the Giants should pick him up faster than Usain Bolt runs the 100-meter dash. Okay, that may be a bit too fast, but he's definitely someone that should be a top prospect.

At 6'5 andd 303 pounds, Pouncey is a big body to put in front of a quarterback. He's also versatile, athletic and good at what he does. When he didn't measure up to the player he knew he was before last year's draft, he decided to return to Florida for his senior season. It was the first time he and his twin had been on separate teams. Pouncey made the adjustment to slide over to center from guard. He helped Florida achieve four 300-yard rushing games in 2010, a feat only accomplished by five other BCS teams. His versatility goes farther than that, during his freshman season at Florida, Pouncey impressed his coaches by moving from offensive line to defensive line. He registered eight tackles, including one for a loss and an interception. He moved back to the offensive side of the ball in 2008 at starting right guard for 28 games. Then he changed his position again, to center, when his brother left Florida for the NFL.

This is exactly the kind of guy the Giants need. He will be more of a guard than a center in the NFL, but his versatility alone makes it hard to pass on him. The Giants have two centers and a guard that are aging and underwent surgeries this off season. If one of them goes down, Pouncey can fill in at either position and make an impact. He's fast off the snap, even when he's snapping the ball. He's strong, he doesn't let his man out of his sight and he adjusts to block different players as the play on the field changes. He has good vision and the strength and agility to make plays happen.

There's not a lot of downside to Mike Pouncey, in fact, the only downside I can see or that I have seen reported is that he can be overpowered by big defensive linemen. Okay, so he needs to hit the weight room and make sure he keeps his strength up to avoid that. I'm sure some coaching will come into play as well when he hits the NFL as to how to block guys bigger than him. There's always a learning curve and adjustment period, but for Pouncey, it will be minimal.

Although many draft boards think it's unlikely that Pouncey will go as high as the ninth pick to Dallas, Pouncey feels otherwise:

"Headed back to Pittsburgh … would be shocked if it wasn't in a dallas uniform nxt year!" (from his Twitter account, @MikePouncey)

That was tweeted shortly after he left Dallas. The Cowboys could be filling his head with air, or they could be serious. If they're not serious, shame on them for filling this guy's head. If they are serious, it's a huge bummer for the New York Giants. Pouncey would be a great fit in New York. He'd be someone the Giants could rely on in a pinch. With the draft being so close and all the players stock changing daily, it's impossible to say what will happen between now and then. Mock draft boards are all over the place with this guy, but I'm seeing more and more that put him at 19. Just keep your fingers crossed that Pouncey falls past Dallas, Miami and New England so that the Giants can pick him up.

http://www.giants101.com/2011/04/09/cou ... t-pick-19/ (http://www.giants101.com/2011/04/09/could-mike-pouncey-fall-to-the-new-york-giants-at-pick-19/)

hawaiiansteel
04-09-2011, 08:08 PM
I have seen several mocks that have Mike Pouncey being selected by the NY Giants @ #19.

SteelCrazy
04-09-2011, 08:54 PM
I have seen several mocks that have Mike Pouncey being selected by the NY Giants @ #19.

It wouldnt suprise me if he did and I'm feeling he may go to the Pats*

hawaiiansteel
04-09-2011, 09:23 PM

if Pouncey gets past the Giants then I'm thinking the Seahawks @ #25...and hopefully the Steelers are trying to trade up for him if he gets within this range.

SteelCrazy
04-09-2011, 09:37 PM

if Pouncey gets past the Giants then I'm thinking the Seahawks @ #25...and hopefully the Steelers are trying to trade up for him if he gets within this range.

Wouldnt it break the Giants hearts if we traded up to 18 and snagged him, oh the irony

hawaiiansteel
04-09-2011, 11:18 PM

Wouldnt it break the Giants hearts if we traded up to 18 and snagged him, oh the irony

it would require offering San Diego at #18 our 1st and 2nd round draft choices...would you do it?

SteelCrazy
04-11-2011, 04:19 PM
No I wouldn't....well if it were the ratbirds at 19, yeah.

hawaiiansteel
04-12-2011, 09:55 PM
the Pouncey brothers are celebrating their birthdays in Miami, maybe in preparation of Mike being drafted by the Dolphins at #15?

http://www.steelersdepot.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/pounceyparty.jpg

NJ-STEELER
04-12-2011, 10:05 PM
jeez

hanging out with brandon spikes?

better wear a bullet proof vest

The Sodfather
04-13-2011, 06:36 AM
He's not going to go as high as people think, IMO.