PDA

View Full Version : Ben Talks About His Wedding, Fiancee

JAR
04-06-2011, 04:38 PM
those terrible parents! Letting their daughter marry a rapist!! :)

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... ing-fiance (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/109132-ed-ben-talks-about-his-wedding-fiance)

Spent part of this afternoon interviewing Ben Roethlisberger at his home near North Park in Allegheny County. It’s his first interview of any kind since the Super Bowl.

We talked about many subjects but, of course, what made almost as much news as the Super Bowl was his engagement to Ashley Harlan of New Castle. They were engaged over Christmas but have neither spoken about it nor confirmed it – until now.

“I was surprised at how much media attention it was getting – it’s just an engagement,’’ Roethlisberger said. “I never expected it to be on the front pages of all the papers and websites. There was speculation what our invitations would look like and who is coming! It almost seemed surreal, it was like a movie or something, it was weird.”

Some of those stories that appeared detailed what was reported as a wedding registry at various department stories. It actually was a registry for Ashley’s shower and because of the publicity, she has been receiving gifts from unknown people who have gone to the registry and bought gifts for a shower they will not attend and a woman they do not know.

“We’ve gotten a lot of gifts from people we don’t know,’’ Roethlisberger told me.

The wedding will be July 23 and it will be huge, more than 500 people, at a location in the Pittsburgh area. All of Roethlisberger’s teammates have been invited, as have coaches and people from the front office, one reason it is so large.

They tried to reserve the Consol Energy Center for the reception but there is a WWE wrestling show going on. They’re still looking for a spot.

Instead of wedding gifts, they’re asking their guests to make a donation to the quarterback’s foundation and he will then turn it over to Ronald McDonald House and Children’s Hospital in Pittsburgh.

“I don’t know if it’s ever been done before but it’s something I wanted to do and she’s on board. We’re just hoping that people who come to the wedding give a dollar or a thousand dollars or whatever it is, and at the end we’ll put it all together and write a big check to Ronald McDonald house and Children’s Hospital and put everyone’s name who donated.”

The wedding will occur about one week before training camp opens, if the current labor strife does not delay the start of football this summer.

“I think a small part of her is hoping we hold out for a week so we can honeymoon,’’ Roethlisberger said. “I told her I was laughing with Coach Tomlin, he said ‘You guys might have to have the honeymoon suite at Saint Vincent.’”

Coincidentally, Roethlisberger met Ms. Harlan at training camp in 2005, quite innocently bumping into her and her brother at Saint Vincent. They began dating and while that did not continue, they remained friends and kept in contact since. They resumed dating last summer.

I’ll have much more on this and some other things – even related to football – from Roethlisberger’s first interview since the Steelers lost the Super Bowl starting tomorrow in the Post-Gazette.

Oviedo
04-06-2011, 04:44 PM
I'm happy for him.

Eddie Spaghetti
04-06-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm happy for him.

X2

siss
04-06-2011, 05:17 PM
Lucky Bitch!

I will gladly step in for her!

Chadman
04-06-2011, 06:08 PM
she has been receiving gifts from unknown people who have gone to the registry and bought gifts for a shower they will not attend and a woman they do not know.

“We’ve gotten a lot of gifts from people we don’t know,’’ Roethlisberger told me.

Are you Americans mad?

Strangers buying gifts for a girl you don't know, who is marrying a guy that can buy her 150 + of the houses 'normal' people struggle to buy their whole lives...

Happy to see things are getting sorted for Ben- but laughing at you wacky Yanks...

Chadman
04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
What's the bet Crash bought up & sent about a million presents himself?

steelblood
04-06-2011, 06:09 PM
I can't help but feel like there was a bit of a rush to become engaged. Like it was a bit of a reaction to what happened last spring. I hope he is really in love and that it works out. Being married isn't easy. When you add in the complications of being a celebrity, it can get very trying. Hopefully, it works out.

hawaiiansteel
04-07-2011, 03:33 PM
Religious Roethlisberger won’t live with fiancee before marriage

Posted by Michael David Smith on April 7, 2011

In one of the clearest signs yet of Ben Roethlisberger laboring to change his reputation, the Steelers quarterback has told a Pittsburgh newspaper that his religious beliefs preclude him from living with his fiancee.

Roethlisberger told Ed Bouchette of the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette that his fiancee, Ashley Harlan, lives at home with her parents, and that the couple’s religious faith and beliefs are the reasons for not living together until marriage.

That’s quite a change for Roethlisberger, who developed a reputation as a womanizer over the first six seasons of his NFL career and who has twice been accused of sexual assault.

Now Roethlisberger says he’s a changed man, although he knows some people are skeptical of how much he has really changed.

“People will always have opinions of everybody and me, and that’s fine, they’re entitled,” Roethlisberger said. “But people who know her, know me, know us . . . people can say that it is whatever, but people who know and can see and are around us and know me, know that it’s something special when you find that person, and I’m extremely lucky.”

Roethlisberger’s wedding is scheduled for July 23. He says Harlan hopes the lockout will delay the start of training camp just long enough for a honeymoon.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/20 ... -marriage/ (http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/07/religious-roethlisberger-wont-live-with-fiancee-before-marriage/)

grotonsteel
04-07-2011, 05:45 PM
Not sure why he wants to get married so early. He was having a great life as a single guy.
Hopefully married life does not become an hindrance in winning 5 SB for Steelers :wink:

Congratulations Ben...!!!!

hawaiiansteel
04-08-2011, 10:11 PM
Todd Herremans tweet tweaks Big Ben

Posted by Mike Florio on April 8, 2011

On Thursday, word emerged that Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won’t be living with his future wife until she’s his current wife, due to the couple’s religious beliefs.

The disclosure prompted the following tweet from Eagles guard Todd Herremans: “What a turnaround … Rapistberger to Religiousberger … Good for him!”

Word of the Herremans tweet eventually got around, apparently resulting in folks giving him a hard time via Twitter. He eventually posted another message acknowledging the backlash — and arguing that he meant no harm: “Funny how it takes all day to get negative feedback from a tweet … If u read it correctly… It reads ‘good for him.’”

Fine, but the use of “Rapistberger” could cause a reasonable person to think that Herremans was clubbing Ben over the head with his past. If, for example, someone were to say as to Herremans’ quarterback, “From vicious, cold-blooded, methodical, calculating dog drowner/electrocuter/slam-to-the-ground-until-deader to Comeback Player of the Year . . . Good for him!,” that could be viewed as a slap against Mike Vick.

Indeed, “good for him!” could become the new caveat for any criticism of anyone. The formula would be to say the bad thing, throw in a good thing, and then tack “good for him!” onto the end of it.

If it catches on, we’ll need to name the tactic after Todd.

Good for him.

UPDATE: Eagles tight end Brent Celek has chimed in on the situation, in hilarious fashion. “I see [Todd Herremans] made [ProFootballTalk],” Celek tweeted. “Good for him!“

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/

Chadman
04-09-2011, 09:56 AM
Todd Herremenn's is in line to be the Face of Madden 2012.

Good for him!

Flasteel
04-09-2011, 11:13 AM
What's the bet Crash bought up & sent about a million presents himself?

I think Crash is planning on living up to his screen name. I could see him sleuthing to find the name of the catering company Roethlisberger hires, then going "Gillooly" on one of the waiter's knees - so he can be hired to take his place at the wedding.

The safe bet is that he will involve himself somehow. :D