PDA

View Full Version : Southern Miss DT Anthony Gray Works Out For Steelers

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2011, 04:00 AM
Report: Southern Mississippi DT Anthony Gray Works Out For Steelers

Shawn Zobel from DraftHeadquarters.com reported via Twitter that Southern Mississippi defensive tackle Anthony Gray recently worked out for the Steelers and is scheduled to visit the Packers next week as well. It is unclear if the workout was regarded as a pre draft visit at this time. Gray measured in at 5-foot-11 3/4, 330 pounds at his Pro Day on March 11th according to Gil Brandt, of NFL.com. He also reportedly ran the 40-yard dash in 5.19 seconds and 5.17 seconds, the short shuttle in 4.61 seconds and the three-cone drill in 7.93 seconds. He registered a 31 1/2-inch vertical jump, a 9-foot-4 broad jump and completed 39 repetitions on the 225-pound bench press.

Gray is a bit short for a nose tackle, but is thick in stature. He is currently regarded as a late round draft prospect. While at Southern Miss Gray registered 76 tackles (35 solos) to go along with 17.5 tackles for loss, he had 8.5 sacks, three forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries.

POSTED BY DAVE BRYAN ON TUESDAY, APRIL 5, 2011

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/re ... -steelers/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/report-southern-mississippi-dt-anthony-gray-works-out-for-steelers/)

ramblinjim
04-06-2011, 08:29 AM
that's an awfully big boy, maybe a mid-round pick to groom for Casey's replacement in a couple of years?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
04-06-2011, 09:23 AM
Gray measured in at 5-foot-11 3/4..............

Gray is a bit short for a nose tackle

No, Casey at 6-1 is a bit short for a nose tackle. Gray is a munchkin. :lol:

Chadman
04-06-2011, 09:48 AM
Arm length, more than height, will be the biggest issue. If he has AQ Shipley- T-Rex style arms, he'll be getting caught up by one blocker pretty consistantly. Long arms mean longer reach, more initial contact & ability to 'shove off'.

Not confident with this one at all.

Steel Life
04-08-2011, 08:15 PM
Arm length, more than height, will be the biggest issue. If he has AQ Shipley- T-Rex style arms, he'll be getting caught up by one blocker pretty consistantly. Long arms mean longer reach, more initial contact & ability to 'shove off'.

Not confident with this one at all.
I had Gray in my mock as an UDFA & wavered whether to put him as a 7th round selection. I like him as prospect for this reason - his motor & his overall strength...especially in the lower body. It takes a lot of leg & core strength to get a body like his (a bulky 330 lbs.) up off the ground - 31.5" vert, 9'-4" broad - that's better than Frank Kearse who they also brought in...& he's dramatically better in the bench press with 39 reps to Kearse's 22. Plus his 10-yard split & short shuttle times were as good as some of the better prospects at the position. I'm not saying he'll be a star, I'm saying he has the basic skill-set to be a good back-up for our team.

Chadman
04-09-2011, 10:03 AM
You may be right Steel Life- but Chadman prefers Kearse at this point.

Isn't there a theory/belief that longer arms makes doing bench press harder & shorter arms make it easier?

Kearse's arms are 35" from memory- pretty long. Might be harder for him to lift the weight..

Regardless- Kearse or Gray- if they are indeed drafted, they are more likely the future Chris Hoke than Casey Hampton. Unless Phil Taylor is selected in Round 1, chances are NT will be on the draft list next season too.