PDA

View Full Version : Report: expect a lot of trades at the end of round 1 for QBs

D Rock
04-06-2011, 12:41 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post ... nfl-340738 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/rumors/post/Late-first-round-QB-trades-coming-;_ylt=AnE81UB2k28CB5bpsbOupYlDubYF?urn=nfl-340738)

Report: Expect a lot of late first-round QB trades in draft
By Mark J. Miller

On the evening of April 28, a representative of the Carolina Panthers will state the name of the first overall pick in this year's NFL draft. Some say it will be quarterback Blaine Gabbert out of Missouri and others think it could be Auburn QB Cam Newton, but whoever it is, the NFL Network reports hearing that there'll be a ton of trade action for QBs at the bottom of Round 1.
Other possible quarterbacks that could be selected in the first round include Florida State's Christian Ponder, Texas Christian University's Andy Dalton, the University of Washington's Jake Locker, the University of Nevada's Colin Kaepernick, and Ryan Mallett of the Arkansas Razorbacks.
NFL Network compares what could happen on draft day to a giant game of leapfrog.

Awesome for the Steelers if it happens. They are in a great spot to have a team come up and get their guy. They could also demand a premium above the trade value chart if teams get desperate enough for a top QB.

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2011, 01:32 AM
in my sig mock draft I have us trading down with Minnesota and picking up extra 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th round picks. the Vikings might be very interested in trading up with us and getting one of the QBs that will still be available at #31. you can't really expect to have success with the likes of Tarvaris Jackson, Joe Webb, Patrick Ramsey and Rhett Bomar.

if there's no player we absolutely love, I do hope we trade down...

focosteeler
04-06-2011, 01:46 AM
in my sig mock draft I have us trading down with Minnesota and picking up extra 2nd, 4th, 5th and 7th round picks. the Vikings might be very interested in trading up with us and getting one of the QBs that will still be available at #31. you can't really expect to have success with the likes of Tarvaris Jackson, Joe Webb, Patrick Ramsey and Rhett Bomar.

if there's no player we absolutely love, I do hope we trade down...

:Agree

D Rock
04-06-2011, 10:46 AM
there are a bunch of teams that could trade up to get a QB.

You have to assume that with Buffalo (3), Cinci (4), and Arizona (5) at the top of the draft, Gabbert and Newton should go to them in some order.

If not, there are still San Fran (7...and with a new coach. New coach=new QB a lot of the time), Tennessee (8), and Washington (10) that could definitely be in the market.

That's 6 teams in the top 10 needing a QB, with 2 real options to do so in Newton and Gabbert.

Lets say that Buffalo and Arizona get them. That leaves a handful of teams in the top half of round 2 looking to pick between Locker, Ponder, Kaepenick, Dalton, and Mallett.

those teams would be Cinci (2.35), Tenn (2.39), Wash (2.41), Minnesota (2.43), San Fran (2.45), Oakland (2.48), and Jax (2.49).

Locker and Ponder are probably the 2 most likely to be chased up to the top of the draft order.

Cinci will probably sit tight at first and see what happens since they would have first dibs if no one moves up. Tennessee could move up if they are particularly interested in any of those guys, but the trade value of their picks would be about their 2nd and 4th, which might not be as atractive to the Steelers as other options. Washington doesn't have the firepower to move up (no 3rd or 4th round picks). Minnesota is lacking a 3rd rounder. Oakland has Campbell and Gradkowski who they might be content with, but they have the needed picks to move up.

I think that leaves San Fran and Jacksonville as the most likely trading partners, particularly San Fran.

Like I said above, new coach usually means a new QB, and if they don't get one of the top 2 then I suspect they will want their choice of the rest, and could do so for only a 2nd and 3rd, which they have to trade. This is the scenario I used to set the trade posted in my mock thread, and the one that I think is most likely to occur.

birtikidis
04-06-2011, 11:38 AM
I could also see a team that picks in the late teens or mid 20's wanting to trade back with a team so that they can get an extra pick somewhere and still get that qb they want. perhaps a team like Miami, Seatle, or jacksonville.

Shawn
04-06-2011, 12:37 PM
I think the best chance for the Steelers to get quality players who can start on the OL and in the secondary is to acquire as many early 2nd-early 4th round picks as they can obtain.

If we can land guys like Cannon, Burton, and Ellis, and Chekwa we have solidified some obvious weaknesses.

I believe Burton can be a solid #2 starter in this league. I think Chekwa's skill set especially in view of some of his weaknesses is best geared in the nickle role. But, I believe he could be a spectacule nickle back. I think Cannon starts day 1 at RG. With a year to adjust to the league, Ellis should have the skills to step into Hamptons role in 2012. Anything beyond those 4 would just be icing on the cake.

RuthlessBurgher
04-06-2011, 12:39 PM
I could also see a team that picks in the late teens or mid 20's wanting to trade back with a team so that they can get an extra pick somewhere and still get that qb they want. perhaps a team like Miami, Seatle, or jacksonville.

Plus, consider that Miami has no 2nd round pick, and Seattle has no 3rd round pick, so they would have extra impetus to move back to re-obtained another day 2 selection that they had previously traded away.

D Rock
04-06-2011, 12:56 PM
There are options for a Steelers move up, but I think there are more holes on the team than some want to admit to, both now and in the future. There are quite a few big players coming up for new contracts in the next 2 or 3 years, and the Steelers wont be able to retain them all.

They need to get quality and quantity this year. A trade down achieves that, a trade up leaves them in a bigger hole in future years.

Oviedo
04-06-2011, 02:26 PM
I think the best chance for the Steelers to get quality players who can start on the OL and in the secondary is to acquire as many early 2nd-early 4th round picks as they can obtain.

If we can land guys like Cannon, Burton, and Ellis, and Chekwa we have solidified some obvious weaknesses.

I believe Burton can be a solid #2 starter in this league. I think Chekwa's skill set especially in view of some of his weaknesses is best geared in the nickle role. But, I believe he could be a spectacule nickle back. I think Cannon starts day 1 at RG. With a year to adjust to the league, Ellis should have the skills to step into Hamptons role in 2012. Anything beyond those 4 would just be icing on the cake.

I would be totally thrilled to get the 4 players you listed.

I agree that Cannon starts Day 1 at RG and eventually becomes the long term starter at RT.

hawaiiansteel
04-06-2011, 02:34 PM

I believe Burton can be a solid #2 starter in this league.

I love Cannon, Ellis and Chekwa but Brandon Burton's stock is sliding big-time...

Pro Day Sliders

Utah CB Brandon Burton — Chose to run the 40 at his pro day but fared worse than he did at the Combine, clocking in the mid-4.5s. He did not show much suddenness or twitch, slowed to change direction and struggled to flip his hips and come out of breaks. Coupled with his lack of physicality, a number of evaluators left the workout believing their fourth- and fifth-round grades were too high.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/0 ... it-wrap-up

Shawn
04-06-2011, 02:49 PM

I believe Burton can be a solid #2 starter in this league.

I love Cannon, Ellis and Chekwa but Brandon Burton's stock is sliding big-time...

Pro Day Sliders

Utah CB Brandon Burton — Chose to run the 40 at his pro day but fared worse than he did at the Combine, clocking in the mid-4.5s. He did not show much suddenness or twitch, slowed to change direction and struggled to flip his hips and come out of breaks. Coupled with his lack of physicality, a number of evaluators left the workout believing their fourth- and fifth-round grades were too high.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/2011/0 ... it-wrap-up

ouch...everything i had read about the guy before that indicated just the opposite.

steeler_george
04-06-2011, 03:22 PM
I agree, trading back this year is the best move. Unless Pouncey miraculously falls to us, or if one of the top 4 OT are there at pick 31. But if none slip to us I, don't see any player there that will have a higher grade than players in the second.

I also see it possible, that Williams might slip into the mid-second if Harrison, Smith and him are still there at 31, and we pass on each one in round 1.

Like someone said there is both quantity and quality in rd2.

Would anyone be upset with a selecting 2 picks from this list of players who would start or contribute day 1 in addition of getting another extra pick to trade up in the 3rd for talent that might slip in the "meaty" part of the draft ( I stole meaty from someone on here)

Brandon Harris
Marcus Cannon
Rahim Morre
Benjamin Ijalana,
Rodney Hudson
Martez Wilson
Kyle Rudolph,
Stephen Paea
Stefen Wisniewski,
Jon Baldwin
Sam Acho
Davon House