PDA

View Full Version : Who do you THINK the Steelers will pick?

steelz09
04-05-2011, 01:42 PM
Ok, set your preferences, homerisms, etc aside and tell me who do you THINK the Steelers will pick with their first selection in the 2011 NFL Draft?

This list is intended to being realistic with pick #31 and within reach such as a possible trade up or trade down.

steelz09
04-05-2011, 01:54 PM
I'll start things off and say that this is a really tough one. I THINK the Steelers want Pouncey but I don't know if he'll make it to the 20's and allow us to to trade up.

I have a suspicion that it's going to be a CB, DL or OT.

I have no idea which OT or DL will be there at #31. I really think it would be wise to pull the trigger on Phil Taylor if he's there but I doubt that's going to happen. It could also be Cameron Heyward. As far as OT, possibly Sherrod but I don't know anything about him.

So my choice is CB and the pick is Aaron Williams. It just seems like a Tomlin/Colbert pick.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2011, 03:39 PM
BPA

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2011, 03:57 PM
I think if Pouncey falls to the mid-20's, we try to do what it takes to go get him.

If not...

If one of the top 5 OT's happens to fall (Smith, Costanzo, Carimi, Solder, Sherrod), then he'd be the pick at #31.

If not...

Then we'll likely take the best available d-lineman in a extraordinarily strong DL draft. J.J. Watt and Cam Jordan should be long gone in the teens, and I suspect Phil Taylor to be gone by the mid-20's. I have a hunch that the team like Temple's Wilkinson, but he might be off the board as well. I think the most likely target is Cam Heyward right now.

I don't think that the team is enamoured with any of the 2nd tier of DB's after Peterson and Prince. Jimmy Smith has too many red flags (and may have been removed from our draft board entirely), Brandon Harris doesn't seem to fit the physical profile for what our team tends to look for in a top CB, and more and more people are talking about Aaron Williams being a better FS in this league as opposed to CB. I think the team prefers the depth of CB's who may be available in the 2nd round (Ras-I Dowling, Curtis Brown, Davon House, Brandon Burton), and we may even address this spot a second time later with someone like Chimdi Chekwa, Curtis Marsh, Buster Skrine, or Cortez Allen.

birtikidis
04-05-2011, 05:15 PM
I think if Pouncey makes it to about the 22 spot we start working to move up. If we can't.. we sit tight and look at either Aaron Williams or Sherrod.

Chadman
04-05-2011, 08:10 PM
Well, the 'realistic' targets would include Pouncey, Sherrod, Carimi, Solder, Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris, Jimmy Smith, Martez Wilson, Rahim Moore, Rodney Hudson, Cam Heyward, Phil Taylor & Chadman's sneaky possible option (If Wilkerson gets picked by the Rams or Saints ahead of..) Corey Luiget.

Now, from that list history will tell Chadman that Jimmy Smith & Phil Taylor can be scratched for personality/character concerns.

Martez Wilson's injury is the big ? in the whole shebang. If he checks out medically, he's a chance. That said, the Steelers have no reported interest in him yet, so let's scratch him too.

Hudson would be overdrafted at #31. And Pouncey will most likely be gone by early 20's simply because people will expect him to be as good as Maurkice. Steelers don't overdraft- scratch both.

Solder, Carimi & Sherrod- only 1 of these guys would be likely to fall to #31. Carimi is most likely to be gone by #31- he's got the fewest spiders on him out of the 3. Solder is dropping, and in Chadman's opinion, will fall past Sherrod on draft day. Solder is the one likely to be available at #31.

Heyward has the physical & mental characteristics to be a Tomlin/Colbert pick. He's a solid chance.

Rahim Moore, despite having no reported interest from the Steelers at this point, has Carnell Lake as his link to the Steelers. He's a junior, the #1 Safety & has high upside. He's a possiblilty. He may not be BPA however.

Of the CB's left- Harris & Williams- it seems Harris has moved ahead of Williams on the draft boards. He'll likely be gone by #31. So Williams seems the logical option here.

Luiget is only a possibility if he goes past the Rams & Saints. At least 1 of those 2 teams will pick a DT- if either prefers Wilkerson, there is a chance Luiget falls to the bottom of the round. that said, it's unlikely, so Chadman will scratch him from the list.

So- we are left with Solder, Heyward & Aaron Williams with Rahim Moore on the list as well.

Steelers have shown zero interest in any Safety at this point, so we'll remove Moore. They have shown interest in several Round 2/3 CB types, so lets speculate that they won't 'reach' for Williams.

Solder or Heyward.

Heyward or Solder.

Just Chadman's opinion, but given the option, given that Solder is falling on most draft boards, given that the Steelers have looked at several 2-4th round type OT's, Chadman will suggest that Cam Heyward is the pick.

There you go- Cam Heyward at #31.

flippy
04-05-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm betting on Wilson.

Chadman
04-06-2011, 12:13 AM
Upon further review- Aaron Williams really should be 1 of the final 3 options- Williams, Solder, Heyward.

Williams fits in so many ways- he's the typical Steelers CB build & style, played for a good college against good competition..junior, with time to develop, productive, no character concerns...

Changing Chadman's pick- Aaron Williams at #31. That way they can take an OT or OG in the 2nd round.

Sugar
04-06-2011, 12:54 PM
I'm going with Williams as well. In fact I also predict a lot of whining when the Steelers don't take an OL in the first four rounds.

Shawn
04-06-2011, 01:57 PM
Without a trade up or down, I think the Steelers will select one of four players in the order I think is most likely.

Hudson, Williams, Heyward, or Solder.

steelblood
04-06-2011, 03:02 PM
Well, the 'realistic' targets would include Pouncey, Sherrod, Carimi, Solder, Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris, Jimmy Smith, Martez Wilson, Rahim Moore, Rodney Hudson, Cam Heyward, Phil Taylor & Chadman's sneaky possible option (If Wilkerson gets picked by the Rams or Saints ahead of..) Corey Luiget.

Now, from that list history will tell Chadman that Jimmy Smith & Phil Taylor can be scratched for personality/character concerns.

Martez Wilson's injury is the big ? in the whole shebang. If he checks out medically, he's a chance. That said, the Steelers have no reported interest in him yet, so let's scratch him too.

Hudson would be overdrafted at #31. And Pouncey will most likely be gone by early 20's simply because people will expect him to be as good as Maurkice. Steelers don't overdraft- scratch both.

Solder, Carimi & Sherrod- only 1 of these guys would be likely to fall to #31. Carimi is most likely to be gone by #31- he's got the fewest spiders on him out of the 3. Solder is dropping, and in Chadman's opinion, will fall past Sherrod on draft day. Solder is the one likely to be available at #31.

Heyward has the physical & mental characteristics to be a Tomlin/Colbert pick. He's a solid chance.

Rahim Moore, despite having no reported interest from the Steelers at this point, has Carnell Lake as his link to the Steelers. He's a junior, the #1 Safety & has high upside. He's a possiblilty. He may not be BPA however.

Of the CB's left- Harris & Williams- it seems Harris has moved ahead of Williams on the draft boards. He'll likely be gone by #31. So Williams seems the logical option here.

Luiget is only a possibility if he goes past the Rams & Saints. At least 1 of those 2 teams will pick a DT- if either prefers Wilkerson, there is a chance Luiget falls to the bottom of the round. that said, it's unlikely, so Chadman will scratch him from the list.

So- we are left with Solder, Heyward & Aaron Williams with Rahim Moore on the list as well.

Steelers have shown zero interest in any Safety at this point, so we'll remove Moore. They have shown interest in several Round 2/3 CB types, so lets speculate that they won't 'reach' for Williams.

Solder or Heyward.

Heyward or Solder.

Just Chadman's opinion, but given the option, given that Solder is falling on most draft boards, given that the Steelers have looked at several 2-4th round type OT's, Chadman will suggest that Cam Heyward is the pick.

There you go- Cam Heyward at #31.

Luiget is an interesting guy. From a pure size perspective, he isn't really long enough for a DE and he isn't large enough for a NT. However, he is strong and an excellent penetrator. He'd make a fantastic nickel pass rusher and would really improve our pass defense.

steeler_george
04-06-2011, 03:28 PM
It has to be someone from big program, undergrad, and this year on the Defensive side of the ball. ( Since we picked O first last year)

it's.....Williams.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-06-2011, 07:52 PM
I would trade up for Pouncey using as much as our 1st, 3rd, & 5th. He would be my #1.

Phil Taylor would be my 2nd choice in this draft. However, I would not trade up for him. I do believe both Taylor & Wilkerson will be gone.

I do not want Williams at #31. I don't think he is 1st round talent at any position. I did not like his answer on Sirius about playing S. That was not an answer you want to hear from a player who doesn't have a position. I will pass on him.

I also don't like Harris at #31. I think he will be a great cover guy in the slot but I didn't like his match-ups against bigger WRs. I think both Harris & Williams are both early 2nd round grades.

I not 100% sold on Heyward. He isn't "great" in any area and seems more of a project than Hood was. That being said, his upside definately gets him consideration.

That all being said, if the Steelers stay put at #31 because they can't trade up or down, my pick would be:

Benjamin Ijalana - OL

FYI
Mayock now has Ijalana & Sherrod tied for the 5th OT.
Mayock now has Dowling rated as the 4th rated CB ahead of Harris.
Mayock now has Williams rated as the 1st S.

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
04-06-2011, 09:50 PM
Im feeling Williams S Texas...Pouncey G Florida.... R. Moore S ...or Ras 1-Dowling CB

SteelBucks
04-06-2011, 10:09 PM
Sherrod or Heyward. If both are gone, trade down.

williar
04-09-2011, 03:19 PM
It would be idea if we drafted a cb who can come in and replace B-mac and play like a number one corner. If that's not a possibility, than take the BPA. Someone who can come in and make an impact ala Markice Pouncey. Whoever they draft in the first round I hope he shows the ability to be a first day starter.

RuthlessBurgher
04-09-2011, 05:34 PM
It would be idea if we drafted a cb who can come in and replace B-mac and play like a number one corner. If that's not a possibility, than take the BPA. Someone who can come in and make an impact ala Markice Pouncey. Whoever they draft in the first round I hope he shows the ability to be a first day starter.

I think, because of this lockout situation, that there will be very few first day starters among rookies league-wide. It is difficult enough as it is for rookies to be major contributors in their first season in the league under normal circumstances, but in this year in particular, without any minicamps or OTA's, not getting introduced to their coaches or receiving their new playbooks until this is all settled, and possibly having an abbreviated training camp if the lockout is extended into the summer, I expect most rookies to have someone of a redshirt season this year. Veteran-laden teams with established coaching staffs (like ours) will have exceptional advantages over teams installing a new offense or new defense and are relying on rookies to play major roles.

pfelix73
04-10-2011, 09:57 PM
I'll say Hayward, if there, Williams- CB, or Akeem Ayers.

:tt1