PDA

View Full Version : Hines is a contender off the field

NC Steeler Fan
04-05-2011, 09:03 AM
Just watched Hines in his third outing on Dancing With The Stars last night and
he received the first "9" score of the season. I was hoping it was going to be the top score of the night, but the model dancer also pulled down two 8's and a 9 to tie Hines. I didn't see how the karate kid scored, but I'm hoping Hines was tied for first again this week! :tt1

Last night's dances were all supposed to reflect some strong feelings or sentiments from each of the "stars". Hines chose to dance for his mother in a celebration of how hard she worked to keep him as a child and the good things he is now able to share with her because of his NFL success. She was in the audience last night too so it was pretty neat.

After only three dances, I really think he has legitimate shot to win this. He certainly won't be slacking in the fan vote that's for sure. There were multiple Terrible Towels in the audience last night and he whipped one out and twirled it around at the end of his dance.

GO HINES!!! :Boobs

drprwnap
04-05-2011, 10:13 AM
I'm only watching the show because of Hines. He has some good moves and seems very light on his feet. I think he has a good shot to win. I don't mind watching his partner, either. :Boobs

RuthlessBurgher
04-05-2011, 04:04 PM
Just watched his routine online (it's a pain trying to skip through to his part, but still having to watch the commercials at regular intervals online). Looked good again. I wonder if he chose his costume this week to tell the Karate Kid that he is gunning his top spot (his get-up looked an awful lot like a Cobra Kai gi).

http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/images/image-util/624x351/0ee759e2f56bb8e2cae6710e8ba6cea1.jpg

http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/images/image-util/624x351/edbe0f7ed60efde0b2a67d14d1e05ab5.jpg

http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/images/image-util/624x351/a86086fa4a53972a782bec9f507185a2.jpg

http://cdn.media.abc.go.com/m/images/image-util/624x351/6ab5e2748ccb69327d5cf388fa059812.jpg

http://www.internetclub91.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/cobrakai.jpg

feltdizz
04-05-2011, 05:13 PM
I wonder what Jack Lambert thinks of Hines performance. I can't knock his hustle, its a great way to get his foot in the door in TV after football but I refuse to watch this. Its very unsteeler.

Next thing you know the Steelers will have a mascot and cheerleaders?

NC Steeler Fan
04-05-2011, 05:38 PM
I just noticed that they covered his Mickey Mouse tattoo. I didn't know they
did that to the dancers, but come to think of it, I don't recall any of the guys
EVER having a tattoo on this show, so maybe they are all covered.

And, feltdizz, don't be too hard on Hines. If you gave it half a chance, you'd
come to appreciate all the really hard work and mental commitment that these
people put into this.

Is the show sometimes a bit campy? Yes, but it's all in fun and Tom Bergeron is the
perfect host to keep the entertainment going. The competition piece is very real
and the judges can be quite blunt when someone is just not showing any improvement.

Besides, if being a Steeler is about being a tough-nosed, man's man then I don't see
how getting next to some of those (as my buddy in da burgh calls them) "smokin' hot
bods" is a sign of weakness!! :wink:

feltdizz
04-05-2011, 05:49 PM
My wife is a dance choreographer who teaches ballet and modern.

Unfortunately I see more dance than I prefer but she also watches more sports then she prefers.

I have no desire to watch Hines dance unless its in the endzone

flippy
04-05-2011, 05:55 PM
Great call on the Cobra Kai outfit RB!!!! "Mercy is for the weak!!!!"

The whole dancing thing seemed to work out well for Lynn Swann and it's helped Mendy, so it seems like it should work out for Hines too.

Snatch98
04-05-2011, 06:16 PM

Unfortunately I see more dance than I prefer but she also watches more sports then she prefers.

In the Pittsburgh area? I ask because my gf is a Ex Ballet Dancer. She was on a scholarship to Mercyhurst College but eventually transferred and changed gears. She still regrets the change. She took a few classes to refresh things towards the end of college but hasn't done any sort of structured dance in a couple years now. I ask because once she completes her move from Columbus to me in Pittsburgh I imagine she'll want to get back in to it. Just looking for solid dance studios that take on adult students just looking to do their thing. I haven't watched Hines at all. I hear about it from my mom tho. lol

kindlecatsb'ng
04-05-2011, 07:25 PM
Hines did really well last night. Just loved it when the TT came out at the end and all his family/friends had them twirling in the audience.

Also noticed that Hines/Kim costumes thus far have had the theme of black and gold of some sort.

Never watched this program until this year because of Hines. After all, he is the "new twinkle toes" and certainly looks light on his feet.
don't care for it being on two nights in a row, though.

As an aside, I hope that Wendy chick gets booted off sooner than later. Gawd, she is awful. Looks like a tall broom with a bobbing boobs :Boobs

Go Hines!
Kindle

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2011, 07:26 PM
did you see Maks drop Kirstie Alley last night? who said dancing is not a contact sport? :)

http://cdn04.cdn.thesuperficial.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/0405-kirstie-alley-dropped-dwts-01-480x274.jpg

kindlecatsb'ng
04-05-2011, 07:29 PM
Felt bad for him and wonder how it will affect him going forward. He did a valiant job trying to shake it off and I give him credit for even being able to finish.

They both seem like they are having fun up to that point.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2011, 07:34 PM
Felt bad for him and wonder how it will affect him going forward. He did a valiant job trying to shake it off and I give him credit for even being able to finish.

They both seem like they are having fun up to that point.

Maks is arrogant, I didn't feel sorry for him at all. who I felt sorry for was Kirstie, with all the weight issues she's gone through in her life this has to be her worst nightmare realized...

flippy
04-05-2011, 08:12 PM
Max has turned into the Jay Culter of the ballroom. None of his teammates seem to be sticking up for him either. He must be a jerk ;)

BradshawsHairdresser
04-05-2011, 08:59 PM
If he learns a few new moves, maybe Hiney can prolong his career a couple of years.

focosteeler
04-05-2011, 09:43 PM
I'm interested in what his first TD dance of the season will be.... :tt2

feltdizz
04-06-2011, 09:42 AM

In the Pittsburgh area? I ask because my gf is a Ex Ballet Dancer. She was on a scholarship to Mercyhurst College but eventually transferred and changed gears. She still regrets the change. She took a few classes to refresh things towards the end of college but hasn't done any sort of structured dance in a couple years now. I ask because once she completes her move from Columbus to me in Pittsburgh I imagine she'll want to get back in to it. Just looking for solid dance studios that take on adult students just looking to do their thing. I haven't watched Hines at all. I hear about it from my mom tho. lol

Nope, we live in Charlotte. She teaches young kids and teenagers and 2 of their students just got accepted to Juilliard in NY.

I know my said she considered Pittsburgh because Point Park College had a top notch program. I bet they have boards posted with studio info on them.

My wife tends to find all type of info online about studios, festivals, grants, etc.

hawaiiansteel
04-08-2011, 10:08 PM
For Ward, it's eat, sleep, dance

By Pittsburgh Tribune-Review
Friday, April 8, 2011

http://files.pittsburghlive.com/photos/2011-04-08/2warddance0410-a.jpg

Ward and Johnson with Art Rooney
Mike Mancini | For the Tribune-Review

Hines Ward took a break from a different kind of practice to which he is accustomed, tugged at his pant leg and revealed a white sock with black rings that he bought recently while celebrating his and former Steeler Jerome Bettis' birthdays in Las Vegas.

Words on the sock carried Ward's current mantra: Eat. Sleep. Dance.

"That's really all we have time for," the Steelers receiver said Friday morning, about 12 hours after he was presented with the Art Rooney Award at the Westin, Downtown.

Ward and professional partner Kym Johnson spent much of the rainy day inside Art & Style Dance Studio on the South Side working on the paso doble, a lively dance step modeled after the drama of Spanish bullfights that they will perform Monday night on "Dancing With the Stars."

The pair have emerged as early favorites to win the competition. Since the premiere, they have inspired judges to wave Terrible Towels. They have also prompted past and current Steelers such as Franco Harris, Jerome Bettis, Rashard Mendenhall, Antwaan Randle El and Larry Foote to fly to Los Angeles for a live viewing.

Linebackers James Farrior and James Harrison and offensive tackle Max Starks are expected to be in the audience Monday.

"For them to come out and show their support," Ward said, "I guess they're impressed."

The support Ward has received from fans, he said, rivals what he has gotten during a decorated playing career.

"We're getting lots of e-mails and messages about how great he is doing, so there's no question Steelers Nation is paying attention," Steelers president Art Rooney II said. "It's fun to watch. I haven't watched that many dance shows, so it's a little different for me."

Ward's performing on "Dancing With the Stars" was almost a year in the making -- his business manager gauged his interest prior to the start of the 2010 football season -- but before last month, Ward said, he hadn't danced since college.

"I had never done a dance routine before. I was surprised at how quick I could pick it up," Ward said. "Sometimes (Johnson) thinks I've taken some lessons somewhere because I just react to it."

"You're an athlete, and you're really agile and smart," Johnson said while sitting next to Ward at the South Side studio. "You pick things up quick."

Watching the two off the dance floor makes it easy to see why they have so much chemistry on it. They have known each other less than a month but have the same give-and-take in conversation as they do while dancing.

Johnson throws back her head and laughs when Ward explains how his frequent use of slang confuses the Australian dancer, and it is not uncommon for the two to finish each other's sentences during an interview.

Johnson said she didn't know Hines Ward from Ward Cleaver when she learned she had been paired with him. She used Google to research Ward, who holds just about every major receiving record in Steelers history.

Ward, though, felt compelled to show her another side of him on the football field, one in which he plays to the whistle. That is how Johnson ended up watching a video of Ward flattening Ravens safety Ed Reed with a block in a 2007 game.

"I said, 'I can't imagine you being so aggressive on the field' because he's so sweet and gentle and really humble," said Johnson, who danced with former NFL defensive tackle Warren Sapp in 2008.

As much as Johnson has gotten to know Ward -- the two are together almost every day for at least five hours of practice -- she didn't understand why he wanted to incorporate a Terrible Towel into their routine last week.

"I was worried people would think you were off to clean some tables," Johnson said in her distinctive accent. "Now being in Pittsburgh I see how important the football team is to the city and how much they love Hines."

Johnson accompanied Ward for his two-day trip to Pittsburgh so they could practice before returning to Los Angeles today. All went well, though Johnson nearly got Ward's man card revoked Thursday night while they were at a South Side bar.

"There was a jukebox and all of the songs were cool, and the next thing I know Barry Manilow (starts playing)," Ward said with a laugh. "I kind of put my head down."

That is one of his few complaints about Johnson, who is as meticulous as any coach Ward has had. In addition to guiding him through practice and different dance steps, Johnson choreographs their routines.

Their attention to detail is one reason Ward and Johnson have enjoyed success on the show.

Johnson said she has trouble sleeping because she is always thinking about the next dance she has to choreograph. And Ward said he frustrates Johnson, at times, with his need for perfection.

Earlier this week, Ward refused to move to another part of their routine until he mastered a step that had been giving him trouble.

Eat, sleep and dance, indeed.

As his confidence grows, Ward said he would like for Lynn Swann to catch his act in Los Angeles. After all, they now have more in common than excelling at receiver for the Steelers.

"I see why Lynn Swann did ballet because it definitely helps your footwork," Ward said. "I'm trying to reach out to Lynn. I would love for him to come out there."

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... z1IyojB3p9 (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_731329.html#ixzz1IyojB3p9)

NC Steeler Fan
04-11-2011, 01:10 PM
Great article! Thanks for posting it! :D

kindlecatsb'ng
04-11-2011, 09:45 PM
Hines looking good! Great to see his teammates there cheering him on and waving the terrible towels!

My niece bought me a Hines t-shirt in the 'Burgh for Hines and DWTS. Am coming into the 'burgh next weekend and will wear it well.

Go Hines! :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

Kindle

NC Steeler Fan
04-19-2011, 11:11 AM
Wow! Hines received the highest scores of the season last night, picking
up "9s" from all three judges. He now sits at the top of the leader board
with no ties for first place this week!

I even heard our local ABC affiliate weather man say this morning: "I'm putting
my money on Hines Ward to win it this season!"

It's a small consolation coming off last season's disappointment, but just like
Steeler fans got to watch their team longer than nearly everyone else this year;
at least we also get to watch a Steeler compete in front of a national audience
long after the 2010 season was over!

GO HINES!!! :tt1

flippy
04-19-2011, 11:25 AM
I heard that the tweet trend shows Chris Jericho in the lead, followed by Kirstie Ally, and then Hines. If twitter is an indicator, Chris should end up winning.

Disney girl looks by far to be the best dancer, but I have no idea what her name is and she may lose out on popularity - unfortunately for her.

RuthlessBurgher
04-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Wow! Hines received the highest scores of the season last night, picking
up "9s" from all three judges. He now sits at the top of the leader board
with no ties for first place this week!

I even heard our local ABC affiliate weather man say this morning: "I'm putting
my money on Hines Ward to win it this season!"

It's a small consolation coming off last season's disappointment, but just like
Steeler fans got to watch their team longer than nearly everyone else this year;
at least we also get to watch a Steeler compete in front of a national audience
long after the 2010 season was over!

GO HINES!!! :tt1

That's a bad sign. Weathermen couldn't predict the results of an Iraqi election. :wink: