PDA

View Full Version : Three draft prospects visit Steelers

PSU_dropout43
04-01-2011, 11:35 AM
Three draft prospects visit Steelers
Friday, April 01, 2011
Ed Bouchette

Three offensive tackles are visiting the Steelers today -- Jarriel King of South Carolina, James Carpenter of Alabama and Marcus Gilbert of Florida.

Each NFL team is permitted to entertain 30 college prospects before the draft, which begins April 28.

Read more: http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11091/11 ... z1IHnmD2uc (http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/11091/1136265-100.stm#ixzz1IHnmD2uc)

Chadman
04-01-2011, 11:36 AM
Marcus Gilbert again....smoke..fire...Chadman's mock...

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
04-01-2011, 12:07 PM
I am Extremely surprised they are interested in King. But if you can ever put the words "Raw, Talented, Specimen, Sleeper, and RED FLAGS" in the same description...He's the guy. Has a heart condition but is cleared to play. He is a Steeler fan and so is his family. If he has his life tuned around...Sky is the limit.

Oviedo
04-01-2011, 12:58 PM
I am Extremely surprised they are interested in King. But if you can ever put the words "Raw, Talented, Specimen, Sleeper, and RED FLAGS" in the same description...He's the guy. Has a heart condition but is cleared to play. He is a Steeler fan and so is his family. If he has his life tuned around...Sky is the limit.

Nothing to lose if they are looking at him as a potential 7th Rounder or a priority UDFA.

Carpenter is the gut that interests me. Seems to have his stock rising.

steelerkeylargo
04-01-2011, 01:36 PM
Carpenter was a very solid player this year. I would love to get him in the 2nd.

Oviedo
04-01-2011, 02:48 PM
Carpenter was a very solid player this year. I would love to get him in the 2nd.

Do you like him as a Guard or OT--Right or Left??????

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2011, 03:37 PM
Looks like if we wanted Carpenter, we'd have to get him at #63. If we wanted Gilbert, we'd have to get him at #95. If we wanted King, we could wait until late in the draft.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2011, 06:01 PM
Looks like if we wanted Carpenter, we'd have to get him at #63. If we wanted Gilbert, we'd have to get him at #95. If we wanted King, we could wait until late in the draft.

looks like we'll have to draft King later in the draft then because we've already decided that the Steelers are going to draft Ras-I Dowling or Brandon Burton in the 2nd round and Kenrick Ellis in the 3rd... :Cheers

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2011, 06:18 PM

looks like we'll have to draft King later in the draft then because we've already decided that the Steelers are going to draft Ras-I Dowling or Brandon Burton in the 2nd round and Kenrick Ellis in the 3rd... :Cheers

Just imagine...with us two fools calling the shots, we could turn the Steelers into the Lions in no time!!! :wink:

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2011, 06:25 PM

Just imagine...with us two fools calling the shots, we could turn the Steelers into the Lions in no time!!! :wink:

nah, you can be the GM...I wanna be the OC. after all, anyone can do a better job of calling the plays than Bruce Arians. :stirpot

Shawn
04-01-2011, 07:13 PM

As talented as Ellis is, he has off field issues that I don't think the FO will look past.

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2011, 07:40 PM

As talented as Ellis is, he has off field issues that I don't think the FO will look past.

Kenrick Ellis was the first of 30 official visits of the Pittsburgh Steelers, I think we are very interested in him as Ellis has taken responsibility for his past actions and has seemingly emerged as a better man.

don't be surprised if the Steelers take him in Round 2, I'm hoping his past actions are what cause Ellis to drop to us in Round 3.

Sources: Kenrick Ellis on radar of five teams

3/16/2011

Aaron Wilson of the National Football Post reports Hampton defensive lineman Kenric Ellis is drawing serious interest from several NFL teams, including the Pittsburgh Steelers, Philadelphia Eagles, Denver Broncos, New England Patriots and the Green Bay Packers, according to league sources with knowledge of the situation.

The 6-foot-5, 346-pounder has drawn second-round grades from several draft analysts.

Per a source, Ellis interviewed well at the NFL scouting combine and was accountable for past transgressions that got him dismissed from South Carolina (reportedly failed drug tests) before transferring to Hampton and being suspended for one game.

"We like the kid," an NFL source said. "We were impressed with him."

Ellis addressed the off-field problems at the NFL scouting combine during an interview with a crowd of media.

"I had character issues," he acknowledged. "I had disciplinary problems. They did everything they could. It just didn't work out for me. I had to get out of there.

"I had to look within myself and change a lot of things within myself and around me. And after I changed those things, it was pretty much easy after that. I had to realize that I had a problem, and I confronted it and overcame it."

http://www.theredzone.org/BlogDescripti ... fault.aspx

focosteeler
04-01-2011, 08:10 PM

Didn't they bring him in for a visit?

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2011, 10:27 PM

Didn't they bring him in for a visit?

yup, Kenrick Ellis was the first of our 30 official visits and I've read several places where the Steelers are very interested in him.

fordfixer
04-01-2011, 11:49 PM

nah, you can be the GM...I wanna be the OC. after all, anyone can do a better job of calling the plays than Bruce Arians. :stirpot

I can see the web site now..... www.firehawaiiansteel.com (http://www.firehawaiiansteel.com) :lol: :lol:

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2011, 02:14 AM

I can see the web site now..... http://www.firehawaiiansteel.com :lol: :lol:

my mantra will be:

"There's a fullback in my offense, there's always going to be one on short-yardage plays".

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2011, 09:54 PM
Steelers Bring In Tackles Gilbert, Carpenter & King For Pre Draft Visits Today

The Steelers are ramping up their pre draft visits today as Florida tackle Marcus Gilbert, Alabama tackle James Carpenter Jr. and South Carolina tackle Jarriel King are all visiting with staff today at the Steelers South Side headquarters. The Steelers are allowed to visit with 30 non-local draft prospects prior to the NFL Draft and have already visited with the local University of Pittsburgh draft eligible players a few weeks ago.

PLAYER POS COLLEGE HGT WGT ARMS HANDS 40 TIME 225 REPS VERT JUMP 20 S 3 CONE
James Carpenter Jr. OT Alabama 6043 321 34 9 3/4 5.28 23 DNP DNP DNP DNP

Marcus Gilbert OT Florida 6061 330 33 1/2 9 3/4 5.46 30 DNP DNP DNP DNP

Jarriel King OT S.Carolina 6050 317 36 3/8 10 3/4 5.09 23 30.0 9'6" 4.77 7.60

POSTED BY DAVE BRYAN ON FRIDAY, APRIL 1, 2011

http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/st ... its-today/ (http://www.steelersdepot.com/2011/04/steelers-bring-in-tackles-gilbert-carpenter-king-for-pre-draft-visits-today/)

Shawn
04-04-2011, 12:48 PM
Just because the Steelers bring him in for a visit doesn't mean they will look past off the field issues. With that said, they probably brought him in for the interview more than any other aspect. Ellis has talent, no doubt about it. If he has truly changed and the Steelers believe it...then he will certainly be on our radar. He was one of my picks in my first mock. I took him off because of what some scouts deemed some serious off the field issues. I like that he takes responsibility for his actions and had stayed clean. For a 3rd rounder I think he is worth the risk.

hawaiiansteel
04-05-2011, 08:27 PM

Mike Mayock: "Marcus Gilbert has been steadily been moving up draft boards. He's a 2nd-round pick with starter potential."

http://walterfootball.com/pathtothedraft2011_0405.php

Chadman
04-05-2011, 08:38 PM

Mike Mayock: "Marcus Gilbert has been steadily been moving up draft boards. He's a 2nd-round pick with starter potential."

http://walterfootball.com/pathtothedraft2011_0405.php

Who'd have thunk it??

Oh- that's right! Chadman!

:D

hawaiiansteel
04-08-2011, 06:51 PM
Jarriel King. OT, South Carolina

http://cdn3.sbnation.com/imported_assets/693228/7da88173-ff27-51be-876b-8636e7db11d6.image_medium.jpg

6’5", 317 lbs
5.09 40, 23 bench, 30 vert, 36 3/8" arms

OK, so the picture isn't of him playing OL, but any LT that can chase down a safety and make this tackle deserves kudos for athleticism. 3 year starting LT at South Carolina for the Ole Ball Coach. Can pass block with the best of them. Needs to work some on his upper and lower body strength, but this kid can flat out play. If not for a heart issue, he wouldn’t make it out of the 3rd round. His heart has been fine since he was in high school, and they brought him in for a visit, so there is obvious interest.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... nd-my-mock (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/4/8/2098019/behind-the-steelcage-why-i-dislike-brandon-harris-and-my-mock)