PDA

View Full Version : Fan protests of no consequence around NFL

fordfixer
03-31-2011, 06:26 PM
Fan protests of no consequence around NFL

By Michael Silver, Yahoo! Sports
Mar 29, 11:28 am EDT
http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=A ... ers_032911 (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylt=Ai74rsIfaAzQB1.THOEXWFNDubYF?slug=ms-silver_fan_protests_of_no_consequence_to_owners_pl ayers_032911)

They congregated outside Qwest Field on the first Sunday of spring, spurred to action by a state of affairs they regarded as untenable. Standing near the entrance of the Seattle Seahawks’ Pro Shop, the peeved protesters exercised their First Amendment rights by chanting “We Want Football” and voicing their displeasure over the NFL lockout to anyone who’d listen.

Then the angst-ridden agitators peacefully dispersed and headed off into an offseason of uncertainty – all 12 of them.

When word of the Dirty Dozen’s displeasure got back to the owners of the NFL’s 32 franchises last Sunday night – the wealthy individuals whose insistence on extracting financial concessions from players compelled them to shut down their sport – I’m sure they were shaking in their silk pajamas. Similarly, the approximately 1,900 players whose representatives gave up on collective bargaining and instead employed a strategy centered on decertification and litigation undoubtedly broke out in hives and went into panic-stricken convulsions.

Wait, that was convulsive laughter? Of course it was. Put it this way: If at the next NFL owner meeting they were to broadcast video of the Seattle fan protest – and others like it in NFL cities such as Pittsburgh and Baltimore – a whole lot of old guys would be getting their Dr. Evil on.

Whether the owners and players are literally laughing at the fans whose devotion they’re testing isn’t really the point. At the very least, the two factions are taking the paying customers for granted as they steel themselves for a standoff that may or may not be resolved by the start – or finish – of the 2011 season.

Each side has its reasons for going to war, most of them preceded by dollar signs. And certainly, refusing to settle for a collective bargaining agreement they regard as substandard and slugging it out in the courts in an effort to attain leverage is the owners’ and the players’ prerogative.

Yet even as key figures in each camp pay lip service to the fans’ interests, owners and players are basically giving a middle-finger salute to the bakers of their $9.3-billion annual pie. I’m fairly confident that the 12 angry men and women outside Qwest Field aren’t causing them to question that decision.

There’s a lot of talk about the prospect of the NFL’s first work stoppage since 1987 alienating fans in a deep and enduring manner, as prolonged disputes in major league baseball and the NHL appeared to do in the 1990s. Yet neither the owners nor the players seem overly stressed by this possibility. Trust me: If either side believed that there’d be a significant drop-off in devotion and financial commitment from the public at large, we’d have a settlement faster than Charlie Sheen transformed the word winning into a pop-culture phenomenon.

In fact, this may be the only thing on which owners and players are in full agreement right now: No matter how messy things get on the labor front, the fans will come flocking back once football resumes. So, yes, fans are being disrespected by the very people whose lives they enhance. And they absolutely have good reason to feel betrayed, frustrated and powerless.

Being a professional sports fan in the United States is risky business. First, franchises suck you in and project a false sense of collective ownership: Ladies and gentlemen, YOUR Pittsburgh Steelers. You buy into it, and then you buy tickets and jerseys and NFL Sunday Ticket accordingly. Except, when things get tough, you find out the team in question isn’t yours at all.

Just ask Sacramento Kings fans, who are about to lose the only professional sports team in town to Anaheim, which can offer a newer, sleeker arena to the franchise’s actual owners, the Maloofs. Or ask Seattle SuperSonics supporters or Los Angeles Rams loyalists or Montreal Expos enthusiasts how they feel about the teams they once thought were theirs. In the latter case, you might learn some cool new French swear words.

The same disconnect is present during the NFL lockout. The Super Bowl champion Green Bay Packers advertise themselves as the only nonprofit, community-owned franchise in major U.S. professional sports – but if you own stock in the team, try calling a vote to end the lockout, and see what kind of power your shareholder’s agreement grants you.

Obviously, fans ultimately retain the ability to vote with their wallets. If they get disgruntled enough – and right now, with all due respect to the Dirty Dozen and their sparsely gathered counterparts across the country, I’d say they’re only mildly gruntled – they could stage a boycott that would make owners and players sorry they treated their patrons so callously.

It sounds daunting, in theory. And if U.S. District Court judge Susan Nelson declines to grant the players an injunction to stop the lockout next week and the dispute drags into the season, public disapproval will certainly intensify. But a prolonged and sustained abandonment of pro football by a significant slice of the fan base, even after the lockout ends? Sorry, I just can’t see it.

For one thing, merely staying away from stadiums on Sunday isn’t nearly sufficient. If you’re a fan who wants to turn his or her back on the NFL, you need to stop watching the games – all games – on television. That’s not so easy, is it? Last season, more of you watched NFL contests than ever before, and that sweet HDTV in your family room is calling out for Al and Cris and Tirico and Gruden and Jaws.

You also must stop buying merchandise. And give up that fantasy-football juggernaut, complete with the weekend boondoggle in Vegas that you and your boys take every summer in the process of staging a beverage-fueled draft. And, for what it’s worth, stop clicking on NFL.com.

As a matter of fact, you can start your boycott by ignoring next month’s NFL draft and all of the hype leading up to it.

I’m not holding my breath, especially given the way many fans reacted to the mere possibility that the players might consider disrupting (or even not playing along with) the charade likely to play out in a few weeks – the systematic and arguably illegal drafting of players who’ll be locked out shortly after shaking NFL commissioner Roger Goodell’s hand.

The basic message: How dare they mess with our illusion of normalcy?

Most of you, understandably, want this dispute to be settled and for things to go back to the way they were. Eventually, it will be resolved – and I’m betting the vast majority of fans will swallow their pride and come rushing back to rejoin the party. Even if the lockout wipes out the entire 2011 season, I think the lasting damage will be minimal. If anything, I believe a lost season would make most fans that much more fired up about football’s return.

This isn’t the NHL, and this isn’t major league baseball. This is the league that counterprograms the World Series with mildly interesting regular-season matchups and kicks its butt, and it has no realistic competition in terms of captivating the American consumer.

So pardon my skepticism, as well as my instinctive compulsion to roll my eyes when I hear about things like the Facebook campaign initiated by national sports-bar chain Buffalo Wild Wings urging fans to sign a “Save Our Season” petition.

Some questions: Really, a corporate-led protest? This is what we’ve come to in the 21st century? I’m pretty sure Cesar Chavez didn’t see this coming. And what bold act, exactly, can Buffalo Wild Wings conjure to escalate its brave display of civil disobedience – spiking its hot wings with habanero pepper flakes and delivering them to NFL and NFLPA headquarters?

Yes, I know, Derek Anderson(notes) – it’s not funny. I realize that I shouldn’t be goofing on the notion of fan dissatisfaction, given the fact that consumers’ appetite for all things NFL helps justify my professional existence too.

Yet against my better judgment, and until proven otherwise, I’m laughing at the lot of you, with a volume level that would make Dr. Evil proud. Rest assured, I have lots of company.

Flasteel
03-31-2011, 07:53 PM
It's probably akin to mission impossible, but we should dedicate this thread to developing the tenets of the NFL Fan Manifesto. We briefly outline the grievance and then compile a list of practical ways we can collectively return fire. These would need to be things that the vast majority of fans should be able to comply with relatively easily and would have enough detrimental impact, that it turns the heat up. There were a few things mentioned in the article and some others off the top of my head, such as:
1. Stop buying NFL gear. Who needs to do this? Go without you new hat or Jersey until this mess is resolved. Easy.
2. Don't visit NFL.com. Again...pathetically easy.
3. Stop watching NFL Network. Less easy, but get your news somewhere else.
4. Don't tune in to the draft. I realize this is difficult for many of us, but didn't I read that round one starts at 8pm on a Thursday? I won't even be awake for our pick, so I have no problem skipping it.
5. No advance ticket purchases or season ticket packages. Again, I'm sure some folks have been waiting their whole life on a list to get the opportunity. If you can do this...then do it.
6. Boycott all official sponsors of the NFL
7. Do not attend any player or team-related events
8. No subscriptions to NFL broadcast packages
9. Do not attend games if this drags into the season (if there are games to attend).
10. Only watch games at local sports bars or other establishments, where it will already be on (if there are games to watch).

These are just a few. If anyone else wants to add to the manifesto, then copy the above list and add to it. Try to follow the criteria and if there is something added that you believe should be removed, then state your position and leave it to the board to decide.

Stupid idea?

Perhaps.

Waste of time?

In all likelihood.

But what the hell else are we going to do? :D

fordfixer
03-31-2011, 08:55 PM
It's probably akin to mission impossible, but we should dedicate this thread to developing the tenets of the NFL Fan Manifesto. We briefly outline the grievance and then compile a list of practical ways we can collectively return fire. These would need to be things that the vast majority of fans should be able to comply with relatively easily and would have enough detrimental impact, that it turns the heat up. There were a few things mentioned in the article and some others off the top of my head, such as:
1. Stop buying NFL gear. Who needs to do this? Go without you new hat or Jersey until this mess is resolved. Easy.
2. Don't visit NFL.com. Again...pathetically easy.
3. Stop watching NFL Network. Less easy, but get your news somewhere else.
4. Don't tune in to the draft. I realize this is difficult for many of us, but didn't I read that round one starts at 8pm on a Thursday? I won't even be awake for our pick, so I have no problem skipping it.
5. No advance ticket purchases or season ticket packages. Again, I'm sure some folks have been waiting their whole life on a list to get the opportunity. If you can do this...then do it.
6. Boycott all official sponsors of the NFL
7. Do not attend any player or team-related events
8. No subscriptions to NFL broadcast packages
9. Do not attend games if this drags into the season (if there are games to attend).
10. Only watch games at local sports bars or other establishments, where it will already be on (if there are games to watch).

These are just a few. If anyone else wants to add to the manifesto, then copy the above list and add to it. Try to follow the criteria and if there is something added that you believe should be removed, then state your position and leave it to the board to decide.

Stupid idea?

Perhaps.

Waste of time?

In all likelihood.

But what the hell else are we going to do? :D
:Clap :Clap :Clap I'm in

sentinel33
03-31-2011, 10:24 PM
As am I

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2011, 10:43 PM
I'll gladly join in on the boycott, is there a list somewhere of all of the official NFL sponsors?

Flasteel
03-31-2011, 11:19 PM
I'll gladly join in on the boycott, is there a list somewhere of all of the official NFL sponsors?

After a quick Google search, it appears the NFL doesn't release a list of official sponsors. Some of the ones I found were:
Bridgestone
Anheuser-Busch (only Bud Light)
Gatorade
General Motors
IHOP
JC Penney
Mars Snackfood (Snickers)
Procter & Gamble (Old Spice, Gillette, Febreze, Head & Shoulders, Prilosec OTC)
Reebok (Nike will take over in 2012)
Verizon
Motorola
Visa
Pappa Johns
FedEx
Pepsi
Cannon
Campbell's Soup
Castrol Oil

Man...that's a lot of crap and I have a Verizon contract. I will vow to not do business with any of these companies when I have a choice. They need to know this. The Manifesto must be completed and go viral. :Cheers

fordfixer
03-31-2011, 11:31 PM
Ha, I had just found that same list and was just about to post it

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2011, 11:42 PM

After a quick Google search, it appears the NFL doesn't release a list of official sponsors. Some of the ones I found were:

as soon as I finish that twelve-pack I have in the refrigerator I will never buy another Bud Light... :)

snarky
04-01-2011, 09:40 AM
Am I crazy in thinking that getting NFL fans to tune into the MLS games on ESPN would be a great way to rattle the owners a bit?

These games typically get about a half million viewers. Can you imagine if the viewership suddenly jumped to 5 million or even 10 million.

Watching UFL or CFL as a replacement for NFL simply tells the league that you like the sport so much that you will watch an inferior product until the NFL is back in business. But watching MLS would be like saying, "you know, I'm going to give another sport a chance for a while and when you come back and start playing, I'll evaluate my options."

I know the MLS is pretty small-time right now but for a league that is on 16 years old and I would have to think that the MLS being strong enough to move to a fall/winter/spring schedule (like the rest of the world) is viewed by the NFL suits as a long-term threat. Especially given the disparity in participation rates among kids. (3.5:1).

RuthlessBurgher
04-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Am I crazy in thinking that getting NFL fans to tune into the MLS games on ESPN would be a great way to rattle the owners a bit?

These games typically get about a half million viewers. Can you imagine if the viewership suddenly jumped to 5 million or even 10 million.

Watching UFL or CFL as a replacement for NFL simply tells the league that you like the sport so much that you will watch an inferior product until the NFL is back in business. But watching MLS would be like saying, "you know, I'm going to give another sport a chance for a while and when you come back and start playing, I'll evaluate my options."

I know the MLS is pretty small-time right now but for a league that is on 16 years old and I would have to think that the MLS being strong enough to move to a fall/winter/spring schedule (like the rest of the world) is viewed by the NFL suits as a long-term threat. Especially given the disparity in participation rates among kids. (3.5:1).

Isn't soccer a spring/summer sport, while football is a fall/winter sport? That wouldn't hurt the NFL. I think increased viewership during the upcoming hockey playoffs would raise more of an eyebrow at 280 Park Ave. Although hockey is trying to eliminate unnecessary headshots as well right now, they are not pussifying the game like Goodell seems intent to do (after all, teams still employ guys whose sole job is to punch other guys in the face with bare fists, and the only penalty is sitting in a box for 5 minutes). The hockey regular season starts in early October, so three quarters of the football season, plus all of the NFL playoffs occur when hockey season is in full swing.

snarky
04-01-2011, 10:28 AM
^^^^

Isn't soccer a spring/summer sport, while football is a fall/winter sport? That wouldn't hurt the NFL. I think increased viewership during the upcoming hockey playoffs would raise more of an eyebrow at 280 Park Ave. Although hockey is trying to eliminate unnecessary headshots as well right now, they are not pussifying the game like Goodell seems intent to do (after all, teams still employ guys whose sole job is to punch other guys in the face with bare fists, and the only penalty is sitting in a box for 5 minutes). The hockey regular season starts in early October, so three quarters of the football season, plus all of the NFL playoffs occur when hockey season is in full swing.

You might be right about hockey. But you are wrong about soccer's 'seasons'. Most leagues run from late August/Early September through April or May. And I think if the MLS is ever in a position to successfully switch to that schedule they will because the current schedule really messes their teams up in terms of winning the Champions League (and therefore getting to the Club World Cup).

Notleadpoisoned
04-01-2011, 11:13 AM
I haven't watched a Pirates game in years so I think just for this season I'm gonna jump back on their bandwagon and load up on some Pirates gear and maybe even catch a game in person. As pathetic as the Pirates are they are still an upgrade from having to watch MLS.

flippy
04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
You better watch the Pirates today because their season will likely be over at 2:20pm with the throwing of the first pitch of the season.

snarky
04-01-2011, 11:29 AM
You know, I'm not saying you have to actually watch an MLS game - just tune in. But the sport isn't important.

My point is that this is something with a very low viewership that is nationally televised. I'm quite certain that 95% of NFL fans who would currently say they don't like MLS would say the same after watching a few games. But a bunch of fans tuning in to different locally broadcast baseball games won't register as any sort of collective statement.

For me the sport doesn't really matter as long as it has low viewership, is nationally broadcast and is not football. I just see soccer as a more natural competitor to football than, say, lacrosse because of the seasonality of the sports. And baseball is already a known commodity (and has been declining relative to football for sometime). MLS, while still small and with some problem teams, is definitely in the ascendancy. Attendance has been steadily increasing and it now has some recognizable stars. And it isn't plagued with all the scandals that baseball is.

But again, for me (the more I think about it) me the sport wouldn't matter, I would just like to see a game where everyone could tune in and collectively say "we can watch other sports too" -- for some people that sport might be baseball, for others lacrosse, for others soccer or even (gulp) WNBA. Just one game where disgruntled NFL fans could get together and drive ratings through the roof.

flippy
04-01-2011, 01:41 PM
The sports that could benefit imho are hockey, UFC, and WWE along with the UFL.

I always thought with lacrosse being an American sport, it would eventually gain some more popularity. And I see more and more kids in the neighborhood with lacrosse sticks every day.

I really don't care what the sport is either. I've been known to watch bowling, golf, poker, whatever. If there's competition and I'm bored, I'm watching.

Maybe some fans should compile a list of better ways to spend a Sunday afternoon than watching football. Things like spending time with the family/kids.

What would be even better is if no one watched the next time and NFL game is broadcast. Everyone should cancel their DirectTV NFL ticket.

Flasteel
04-01-2011, 03:15 PM
Maybe some fans should compile a list of better ways to spend a Sunday afternoon than watching football. Things like spending time with the family/kids.

I'm thinking that boycots of games won't have to take place unless we are talking about scab games like they had back in '87. However, this would be a nice addendum to the Manifesto regardless. Good idea Flip!

hawaiiansteel
04-01-2011, 06:07 PM
You better watch the Pirates today because their season will likely be over at 2:20pm with the throwing of the first pitch of the season.

are you by any chance talking about the undefeated and in first place Pittsburgh Pirates? :Beer

Flasteel
04-02-2011, 10:44 AM
http://i55.tinypic.com/io0k2b.png
I. Preamble
We the fans of the National Football League (NFL) recognize our lack of voice in the ongoing labor dispute between the players and ownership of the 32 league franchises. Despite the fact that collectively, we are the economic blood which sustains the salaries and profits enjoyed by the aforementioned parties, our interests have been principally ignored. In order to rectify this injustice it is necessary that NFL fans wield our combined economic power and support until a resolution can be reached. Unity amongst our large, diverse, and largely disconnected group is no doubt a difficult task. It is with this understanding that a set of various commitments must be developed, which each fan should adopt to the best of our ability. This narrow focus will allow us to concentrate our collective efforts on a limited number of critical targets with more power. The actions we take are designed to divert our hard-earned incomes away from all NFL entities and their official partners and sponsors, thus playing the only chip that will bring our interests to the negotiating table. Not every fan will be able to take up the activities or boycott the companies found hereafter to an equal degree. With this in mind, we pledge to take on every possible measure found in this proclamation to the best of our ability. We further vow to stand strong in our resolve and continue this course of action until a resolution between the NFL players and ownership has been reached. This oath is taken only upon our decision to forward the Manifesto to other fans through any means possible. Unity and commitment are the hammers which will deliver our message…and it will be heard.

II. Actions We Vow to Take
As committed NFL fans we hereby declare our intentions to take the actions which follow to the best of our ability and where possible. We will not cease in our efforts until a resolution between the NFL players and ownership is reached, or regularly scheduled games commence, complete with existing rosters. We vow to:
1. Stop buying NFL Merchandise.
2. Not visit NFL.com or any other official league, player, or team-related website.
3. Not follow or comment on any official NFL or player-related social media.
4. Stop watching NFL Network.
5. Not watch the 2011 NFL draft.
6. Not purchase advance game tickets or season ticket packages.
7. Boycott all official sponsors of the NFL.
8. Not attend any NFL, player or team-related events
9. Not subscribe to any NFL broadcast packages.
10. Not attend any replacement player games.
11. Not tune in to any replacement player games on television or radio.

III. Official NFL Sponsors to Boycott
The following companies are official sponsors of the NFL. We promise that our money will not be spent on any of these companies, or their subsidiaries if it is at all possible. We recognize that many NFL fans have existing contracts with or extreme loyalty to many of these entities, some of which supersede their dedication to NFL football. The list below may be incomplete and we additionally promise to not do business with any other company we find to be an official sponsor, or major partner with the NFL.
Bridgestone
Gatorade
General Motors
Verizon
Motorola
Visa
Pappa Johns
FedEx
Pepsi
Cannon
Campbell's Soup
Castrol Oil

IV. Suggested Activities to the Fill the Void of Lost Sundays
Spend more quality time with your family and friends. :D

Feel free to make further suggestions my friends.

Eich
04-04-2011, 11:45 AM
What would be even better is if no one watched the next time and NFL game is broadcast. Everyone should cancel their DirectTV NFL ticket.

That would certainly get the owner's attention. But it'll never happen. Could you avoid watching? I can't imagine not watching the Steelers if they're playing. Fans would have to be extremly P-O'd to do something like that. I'm not even sure that 2 years of no football would do it.

feltdizz
04-04-2011, 12:57 PM
I'll watch the NFL regardless... but I don't spend money on tickets, I prefer sports bars or watching at home. I don't buy jerseys and I have more than enough Steeler gear.

I won't watch more college ball (I watch enough already) and baseball bores me so I will find other entertainment if the NFL is gone for a year or 2.

I'll miss the NFL but I won't die or lose sleep over it.

Flasteel
04-04-2011, 06:37 PM
I'll watch the NFL regardless... but I don't spend money on tickets, I prefer sports bars or watching at home. I don't buy jerseys and I have more than enough Steeler gear.

I won't watch more college ball (I watch enough already) and baseball bores me so I will find other entertainment if the NFL is gone for a year or 2.

I'll miss the NFL but I won't die or lose sleep over it.

Then you would have few problems following the tenets of the Manifesto! :-)

The only boycott of games, is if they are replacement games. I personally would not want to watch them anyway.

I don't see any comments on the Manifesto, so I'm assuming everyone finds it to be a lame idea. :-)

feltdizz
04-04-2011, 07:29 PM
IHOP? Not sure about that one.... mmm pancakes.

I actually tried to watch NFLN a few times but it doesn't hold my attention due to the lockout and SB loss.

fordfixer
04-04-2011, 08:28 PM
http://i55.tinypic.com/io0k2b.png
I. Preamble
We the fans of the National Football League (NFL) recognize our lack of voice in the ongoing labor dispute between the players and ownership of the 32 league franchises. Despite the fact that collectively, we are the economic blood which sustains the salaries and profits enjoyed by the aforementioned parties, our interests have been principally ignored. In order to rectify this injustice it is necessary that NFL fans wield our combined economic power and support until a resolution can be reached. Unity amongst our large, diverse, and largely disconnected group is no doubt a difficult task. It is with this understanding that a set of various commitments must be developed, which each fan should adopt to the best of our ability. This narrow focus will allow us to concentrate our collective efforts on a limited number of critical targets with more power. The actions we take are designed to divert our hard-earned incomes away from all NFL entities and their official partners and sponsors, thus playing the only chip that will bring our interests to the negotiating table. Not every fan will be able to take up the activities or boycott the companies found hereafter to an equal degree. With this in mind, we pledge to take on every possible measure found in this proclamation to the best of our ability. We further vow to stand strong in our resolve and continue this course of action until a resolution between the NFL players and ownership has been reached. This oath is taken only upon our decision to forward the Manifesto to other fans through any means possible. Unity and commitment are the hammers which will deliver our message…and it will be heard.

II. Actions We Vow to Take
As committed NFL fans we hereby declare our intentions to take the actions which follow to the best of our ability and where possible. We will not cease in our efforts until a resolution between the NFL players and ownership is reached, or regularly scheduled games commence, complete with existing rosters. We vow to:
1. Stop buying NFL Merchandise.
2. Not visit NFL.com or any other official league, player, or team-related website.
3. Not follow or comment on any official NFL or player-related social media.
4. Stop watching NFL Network.
5. Not watch the 2011 NFL draft.
6. Not purchase advance game tickets or season ticket packages.
7. Boycott all official sponsors of the NFL.
8. Not attend any NFL, player or team-related events
9. Not subscribe to any NFL broadcast packages.
10. Not attend any replacement player games.
11. Not tune in to any replacement player games on television or radio.

III. Official NFL Sponsors to Boycott
The following companies are official sponsors of the NFL. We promise that our money will not be spent on any of these companies, or their subsidiaries if it is at all possible. We recognize that many NFL fans have existing contracts with or extreme loyalty to many of these entities, some of which supersede their dedication to NFL football. The list below may be incomplete and we additionally promise to not do business with any other company we find to be an official sponsor, or major partner with the NFL.
Bridgestone
Gatorade
General Motors
IHOP
JC Penney
Verizon
Motorola
Visa
Pappa Johns
FedEx
Pepsi
Cannon
Campbell's Soup
Castrol Oil

IV. Suggested Activities to the Fill the Void of Lost Sundays
Spend more quality time with your family and friends. :D

Feel free to make further suggestions my friends.
:Clap :Clap :Clap Well said. Have you posted this any where else? Or sent a copy to Rodger?

Flasteel
04-04-2011, 08:30 PM
IHOP? Not sure about that one.... mmm pancakes.

I actually tried to watch NFLN a few times but it doesn't hold my attention due to the lockout and SB loss.

I found it on a list, but it appears you are correct Dizz. They only signed a 3-month deal back in 2009. Pancakes for everyone!!

http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Jour ... -Menu.aspx (http://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2009/06/20090629/This-Weeks-News/NFL-Adding-IHOP-To-2009-Sponsor-Menu.aspx)

Flasteel
04-04-2011, 08:42 PM
:Clap :Clap :Clap Well said. Have you posted this any where else? Or sent a copy to Rodger?

Okay...this is what I'm talking about! This thread is the genesis of the Manifesto and it hasn't been posted anywhere else. I would like for it to pass the test of possibly the most passionate sample population I could find, before we unleash it on the world.

Dizz has already discovered that thankfully IHOP is no longer an official sponsor of the NFL. I'm sure there are other mistakes - or omissions - that could make the Manifesto worthy of adopting and passing along. This thing needs to be picked apart by any Planet member who thinks it's worth their time.

Once there is enough consensus I will spruce it up a bit and turn it into separate .jpg and .pdf files, so it cannot be edited by others. We can send it to people we know, media outlets, facebook, league and team officials...whatever.

Make this thing righteous people!!

flippy
04-04-2011, 11:39 PM
Gotta boycott Direct TV. That one's the most important. If everyone canceled Direct TV tomorrow, the NFL would notice.

Shawn
04-05-2011, 01:21 AM
Well done FLA. I'm on board with all of it. We need to get this out to the masses. Youtube, twitter, facebook, every NFL related message board...etc. A website would be nice where we could get people to sign up and say they will adhere to the manifesto. You never know how big this could get.

Flasteel
04-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Well done FLA. I'm on board with all of it. We need to get this out to the masses. Youtube, twitter, facebook, every NFL related message board...etc. A website would be nice where we could get people to sign up and say they will adhere to the manifesto. You never know how big this could get.

Thanks Shawn...and I agree with you whole-heartedly. No suggestions for change or additions?

I need to take IHOP off of there. :D

drprwnap
04-05-2011, 10:20 AM
I haven't watched a Pirates game in years so I think just for this season I'm gonna jump back on their bandwagon and load up on some Pirates gear and maybe even catch a game in person. As pathetic as the Pirates are they are still an upgrade from having to watch MLS.

Man if you think the NFL owners are greedy, Pirate ownership makes them look generous.
I will not spend on penny on the Pirates until their owners put money into the team instead of their pockets. They are laughing all the way to the bank. What is it, 19 LOSING seasons in a row???? Trading away EVERY good player that comes along and say they are building for the future though the draft?? :wft :wft
If you want to throw your money away, please throw some MY way. :D

feltdizz
04-05-2011, 10:31 AM

Man if you think the NFL owners are greedy, Pirate ownership makes them look generous.
I will not spend on penny on the Pirates until their owners put money into the team instead of their pockets. They are laughing all the way to the bank. What is it, 19 LOSING seasons in a row???? Trading away EVERY good player that comes along and say they are building for the future though the draft?? :wft :wft
If you want to throw your money away, please throw some MY way. :D

Buccos are 3-1. They are WINNING!!!

seriously though... the Bucs have rarely had "good" players... our good players are 8th and 9th on most other teams depth charts. Didn't Jason Bay made the HR derby that one year and couldn't hit one HR. LOL...

The biggest problem with the Pirates is pitching... how does a kid go from good to awful in one year? Well, we find out the pitching coaches kept tweaking with their form to make them "better"

feltdizz
04-05-2011, 10:32 AM

Okay...this is what I'm talking about! This thread is the genesis of the Manifesto and it hasn't been posted anywhere else. I would like for it to pass the test of possibly the most passionate sample population I could find, before we unleash it on the world.

Dizz has already discovered that thankfully IHOP is no longer an official sponsor of the NFL. I'm sure there are other mistakes - or omissions - that could make the Manifesto worthy of adopting and passing along. This thing needs to be picked apart by any Planet member who thinks it's worth their time.

Once there is enough consensus I will spruce it up a bit and turn it into separate .jpg and .pdf files, so it cannot be edited by others. We can send it to people we know, media outlets, facebook, league and team officials...whatever.

Make this thing righteous people!!

I can't take credit for the IHOP thing.... I just like IHOP.

Shawn
04-05-2011, 10:58 AM

Thanks Shawn...and I agree with you whole-heartedly. No suggestions for change or additions?

I need to take IHOP off of there. :D

I think it's perfect as written. It would be nice if we could get people to picket the NL headquarters but that might be asking too much.

flippy
04-05-2011, 08:19 PM
How bout the goal of the manifesto is to create a "No Fan League"?

fordfixer
04-05-2011, 11:02 PM
Isn't EA Sports a sponsor?

Flasteel
04-06-2011, 11:38 AM
How bout the goal of the manifesto is to create a "No Fan League"?

I'm not sure they could ever drive away the core fans. Like another poster stated, I would welcome back the NFL with open arms, no matter how long it would be gone.

It's like crack.

For you, it's more like the McRib. Look how long it stayed away and how quickly you turned to its irresistible deliciousness, once it returned :D

Flasteel
04-06-2011, 11:40 AM
Isn't EA Sports a sponsor?

I looked, but couldn't find anything to verify. They are apparently the official sponsor of the NFL Match Up show on ESPN.

Eich
04-06-2011, 12:02 PM
Gotta boycott Direct TV. That one's the most important. If everyone canceled Direct TV tomorrow, the NFL would notice.

Boycott DirecTV or cancel the NFL Sunday Ticket Package?

Are you asking that people just cancel now to show displeasure or are you asking them to stay canceled once a new season starts?

If you're expecting people to stay canceled, you're asking most people to stop watching their favorite team at home because most people who have Sunday Ticket, have it because they have no other means of watching their team at home.

Also, how is this going to hurt the NFL? The NFL has a deal with DirecTV through 2014 regardless of how many subscribers DirecTV has to the package. So, it would only hurt DirecTV. And once the contract between the NFL and DirecTV is up, it'll go out for the highest bidder again.

Getting people to stop buying merchandise is one thing. Getting them to stop watching something that's in their blood is nearly impossible.

This is a fun discussion but there's next to no chance of doing anything that will seriously affect the NFL.

Shawn
04-06-2011, 12:28 PM
I think it's a request for fans to cancel season ticket as long as there is no agreement. For example, if the NFL decides to use scabs to man our football teams we refuse to watch from a paid vehicle.

flippy
04-06-2011, 01:32 PM
Nice call on the McRib, FLa :Clap

I would go as far as to say cancel the Sunday Ticket and Direct TV for the first week the NFL plays. Just to show the NFL what the fan is capable of doing.

If we took a longer term view and cancelled Direct TV/Sunday ticket permanently, DirectTV wouldn't pay nearly as much for the NFL broadcast rights next time around.

Really they are the only company we could materially impact. We can't impact Fox/CBS in the same way unfortunately or I would say we should boycott them too.

Come to think of it, I wonder if we could get Charlie Sheen on board to lead the public charge to boycott CBS in some meaningful way so their NFL contract loses them some serious money?

Flasteel
04-06-2011, 01:49 PM
I wouldn't worry too much about cancelling subscriptions or boycotting games. I would say that what we are advocating is not purchasing any new packages and if they try to shove scab games down our throats, we don't tune in.

It may hurt the companies we boycott far more than it hurts the league, but I think the idea is having the official sponsors and other businesses put the heat on for us. Combined with lost revenue from merchandise, advance ticket sales, and their current broadcast platforms, it might have a chance of cranking up the negotiations.

I do sincerely doubt it however. :D