PDA

View Full Version : SMASH'S 1.0 MOCK...Eat this up!

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
03-31-2011, 07:56 AM
I need to put a little more time on this but wanted to put my first mock up for debate, so here goes:

1--A. Williams S/CB Eventual successor to R. Clark BPA!!!
2--P. Taylor DT Baylor Successor to C. Hampton
3--J. Todman RB UConn Gives our offense a great 1-2 punch with Mendy
4--C. Chekwa CB OSU May not be here...also wouldn't mind House NM St.
5--V. Green TE Nevada We need another option besides "no hands Spaeth"
6--D. Sazenbauker WR OSU Good slot receiver
7--A. Wujciak ILB Maryland Farrior Successor---why not Sylvestor though. People dont seem to think he (SS) can do it but the guy looks like a stud.

Couple of points I know will get listed here: NO OL---I just believe we have won before without a great OL and Ben gets away with what he has. Also we found some decent players in Legursky amd Foster. Starks and Colon should be healhy also.

Thoughts welcomed!

ramblinjim
03-31-2011, 08:26 AM
I think Taylor in the second probably isn't going to happen. I like your reasoning with the kid from UT in the first.

Oviedo
03-31-2011, 08:37 AM
Phil Taylor won't last until our pick in Round 2. He's probably the first NT off the board.

We don't need another slot receiver. We are loaded with them with Hines, Sanders and Brown. We need someone on the outside who can take the over the top coverage off of Wallace.

Can't see how we go past Round 3 or 4 and not take an OL.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-31-2011, 09:34 AM
I need to put a little more time on this but wanted to put my first mock up for debate, so here goes:

7--A. Wujciak ILB Maryland Farrior Successor---why not Sylvestor though. People dont seem to think he (SS) can do it but the guy looks like a stud.

Couple of points I know will get listed here: NO OL---I just believe we have won before without a great OL and Ben gets away with what he has. Also we found some decent players in Legursky amd Foster. Starks and Colon should be healhy also.

Thoughts welcomed!
Phil Taylor will be gone before the Steelers pick at #31. If not, the Steelers should have the card made out right after the 30th pick is announced. Williams could be gone as well. For the simple fact that nobody knows where he will fit best, I wouldn't take him in the 1st. I heard him on Sirius and he really doesn't want to play safety. You could hear it and after that interview, I clearly don't want him at all. I not to confident on Harris as being a solid #1 or #2 because of his size but he plays bigger and I would think about him at #31. I get the feeling he will now go before Williams.

This draft is loaded in the 2nd-4th range of CBs where there really isn't as big as of drop off as there is after the Top 3 go off the baord. That's my take on the CB. I would rather have a C Brown, House, Dowlin, or Burton in round 2 and add a J Brown, Marsh, Skrine, or Allen later then gamble on Williams.

I still am a firm believer that they should go into this draft as an "Up or Out" goal in the 1st. Trade up for Pouncey If he makes into the early 20's. Give up no more than a 3rd & 5th (23-24). If you can't move up, try to get out into the early 2nd.

If you are stuck picking at #31 BPA of course. But if Harris, Taylor, Hayward, Sherrod, and Wilkerson are all gone...I really feel you need to look at 3 guys instead of reaching on Williams. Two players rated #1 at their position in Wilson ILB and Rudolph TE. That's value at this point. If Wilson is medically cleared by Pittsburgh doctors, he should be considered. Rudolph isn't a sexy pick, but he would have an impact in BA offense year 1 and would give them good value. All that being said, if it comes down to this I have a favorite at #31. Small school sleeper who if wasn't dealing with a sports hernia would be talk about as 1st round talent. Actually would fill a need and I can't wait to see what Koogs could do with him. Has the make-up to be something special. Like him better than Watkins (who could also be considered) because I think the ceiling is higher. This is a "scouting department" pick and I'm sure he is on the radar. His name will start creeping up as we get closer. So if the Steelers are stuck at @ #31 in this scenario, my pick would be:

#31 Benjamin Ijalana

Could push for starting at G early and under Koogs could become a special OT.

Oviedo
03-31-2011, 09:55 AM

Thoughts welcomed!
Phil Taylor will be gone before the Steelers pick at #31. If not, the Steelers should have the card made out right after the 30th pick is announced. Williams could be gone as well. For the simple fact that nobody knows where he will fit best, I wouldn't take him in the 1st. I heard him on Sirius and he really doesn't want to play safety. You could hear it and after that interview, I clearly don't want him at all. I not to confident on Harris as being a solid #1 or #2 because of his size but he plays bigger and I would think about him at #31. I get the feeling he will now go before Williams.

This draft is loaded in the 2nd-4th range of CBs where there really isn't as big as of drop off as there is after the Top 3 go off the baord. That's my take on the CB. I would rather have a C Brown, House, Dowlin, or Burton in round 2 and add a J Brown, Marsh, Skrine, or Allen later then gamble on Williams.

I still am a firm believer that they should go into this draft as an "Up or Out" goal in the 1st. Trade up for Pouncey If he makes into the early 20's. Give up no more than a 3rd & 5th (23-24). If you can't move up, try to get out into the early 2nd.

If you are stuck picking at #31 BPA of course. But if Harris, Taylor, Hayward, Sherrod, and Wilkerson are all gone...I really feel you need to look at 3 guys instead of reaching on Williams. Two players rated #1 at their position in Wilson ILB and Rudolph TE. That's value at this point. If Wilson is medically cleared by Pittsburgh doctors, he should be considered. Rudolph isn't a sexy pick, but he would have an impact in BA offense year 1 and would give them good value. All that being said, if it comes down to this I have a favorite at #31. Small school sleeper who if wasn't dealing with a sports hernia would be talk about as 1st round talent. Actually would fill a need and I can't wait to see what Koogs could do with him. Has the make-up to be something special. Like him better than Watkins (who could also be considered) because I think the ceiling is higher. This is a "scouting department" pick and I'm sure he is on the radar. His name will start creeping up as we get closer. So if the Steelers are stuck at @ #31 in this scenario, my pick would be:

#31 Benjamin Ijalana

I would take Marcus Cannon at #31 over Ijalana. IMO Cannon would be better sooner and has more upside

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-31-2011, 10:22 AM

Thoughts welcomed!

#31 Benjamin Ijalana

I would take Marcus Cannon at #31 over Ijalana. IMO Cannon would be better sooner and has more upside

Don't agree O. Cannon is nothing more than 2nd round talent that his ceiling is RT. Cannon will be very much like Foster at G because he lumbers and can't change direction well. If Ijalana was working out he would be shooting up the boards. Kid with a wrestling background and very good on his feet. He understands leverage and keeping his feet wide with his wrestling background. Good knee bender and can really sink his hips in the run game. 36" arms adds a tremendous asset in his pass blocking. When I watch him run block, I see Carlton Haselrig. Needs work on his footwork for his kickslide at the next level and Koogs will fix that. Didn't have to have a great kickslide in college because he has quick enough feet and long arms to dominate. Very agile big man. His ceiling is a special LT but right now I would say he has to be right there as the #2 G with Watkins...Just younger with a higher ceiling. Don't like what is on paper O. Don't fall in love with a player because the 6'5" 358 seems like an advantage to a guy 6'4" 317. Watch some highlights and listen to him talk. Tape is there and he sounds like a Steelers. I like the kid and would take him at #31 over A Williams or Watkins without hesitation.

StarSpangledSteeler
03-31-2011, 12:18 PM

#31 Benjamin Ijalana

That post sums up my thoughts almost perfectly. I agree with literally everything you said in there. Especially the part about this being a "trade up/down" year. I know we fans aren't experts but take a look on some different forums and you'll see complete confusion/skepticism on who the BPA will be. That tells you something. There is no clear BPA. Not even a debate between 2 clear BPA's. It's like 6 different guys, all about the same talent level. Each one with his own deficiencies. None of them a "can't miss" prospect.

I remember Kiper's early evaluation of Ijalana in which he said (paraphrasing) "Watch the film on Ijalana and you'll see that he rarely gets beat in pass protection. His man just doesn't get to the QB. Ever." Now granted his level of competition was lower, but the technique and foot speed are there (and that was at left tackle). Now we might play him at guard but he strikes me as a guy who could literally play any one of four positions (if he had to). That is as good of value as you can hope for at 1.31. I just think despite all our "needs" at the end of the day our top-top-TOP priority is protecting Ben on passing downs. We need at least one high quality pass blocking OL, and to me, Ijalana fits the bill.

I'm a little hesitant to draft a TE in the 1st, not because I doubt his talent, or how well he will "fit" in Arians system, but because BEN WON'T THROW TO HIM. He just doesn't like the short dump off pass. On average, Miller currently gets "thrown at" four times a game. Let me repeat that. Ben throws to our Pro-Bowl tight end FOUR (4) times a game. If we draft Rudolph and go double TE sets, how many passes do you think are going his way? 2 per game? 3 per game? Is that including Miller's 4? Or does Miller get less to compensate? How is that the best value at 1.31? (not arguing, I'm just agreeing with your other statements). Like you, I also would rather draft OL and give Ben a few extra seconds to find the SIX weapons he already has (Wallace-Ward-Sanders-Brown-Miller-Mendenhall).

I can't argue with Wilson's speed or even his size, but I have not heard any of the scouts praise his instincts. In our scheme, we need that ILB to be the captain of our D, recognize plays pre-snap, get everybody into position, then be able to react instantly to either the pass or run, shed the block and tackle, or run with the TE (or crossing route WR) in coverage. I just don't think this is a good year to get "that" guy.

If we stick at 1.31 the pure BPA (from a talent stand point) could very likely be a defensive lineman. I wouldn't hate the pick but he better be a pass rushing DL (not a run clogger). We need someone who can take some pressure off our piss poor secondary when we play Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc.

I hate the idea of drafting a CB at 1.31 with only average speed/quickness and very poor INT numbers (which sums up both Williams and Harris). I would much rather double dip in rounds 2 and 4 as you suggested.

Now if I can just get Colbert, Tomlin, and the Rooneys to agree with me, we should be fine. LOL.

Oviedo
03-31-2011, 12:49 PM

#31 Benjamin Ijalana

That post sums up my thoughts almost perfectly. I agree with literally everything you said in there. Especially the part about this being a "trade up/down" year. I know we fans aren't experts but take a look on some different forums and you'll see complete confusion/skepticism on who the BPA will be. That tells you something. There is no clear BPA. Not even a debate between 2 clear BPA's. It's like 6 different guys, all about the same talent level. Each one with his own deficiencies. None of them a "can't miss" prospect.

I remember Kiper's early evaluation of Ijalana in which he said (paraphrasing) "Watch the film on Ijalana and you'll see that he rarely gets beat in pass protection. His man just doesn't get to the QB. Ever." Now granted his level of competition was lower, but the technique and foot speed are there (and that was at left tackle). Now we might play him at guard but he strikes me as a guy who could literally play any one of four positions (if he had to). That is as good of value as you can hope for at 1.31. I just think despite all our "needs" at the end of the day our top-top-TOP priority is protecting Ben on passing downs. We need at least one high quality pass blocking OL, and to me, Ijalana fits the bill.

I'm a little hesitant to draft a TE in the 1st, not because I doubt his talent, or how well he will "fit" in Arians system, but because BEN WON'T THROW TO HIM. He just doesn't like the short dump off pass. On average, Miller currently gets "thrown at" four times a game. Let me repeat that. Ben throws to our Pro-Bowl tight end FOUR (4) times a game. If we draft Rudolph and go double TE sets, how many passes do you think are going his way? 2 per game? 3 per game? Is that including Miller's 4? Or does Miller get less to compensate? How is that the best value at 1.31? (not arguing, I'm just agreeing with your other statements). Like you, I also would rather draft OL and give Ben a few extra seconds to find the SIX weapons he already has (Wallace-Ward-Sanders-Brown-Miller-Mendenhall).

I can't argue with Wilson's speed or even his size, but I have not heard any of the scouts praise his instincts. In our scheme, we need that ILB to be the captain of our D, recognize plays pre-snap, get everybody into position, then be able to react instantly to either the pass or run, shed the block and tackle, or run with the TE (or crossing route WR) in coverage. I just don't think this is a good year to get "that" guy.

If we stick at 1.31 the pure BPA (from a talent stand point) could very likely be a defensive lineman. I wouldn't hate the pick but he better be a pass rushing DL (not a run clogger). We need someone who can take some pressure off our piss poor secondary when we play Brady, Manning, Brees, Rodgers, etc.

I hate the idea of drafting a CB at 1.31 with only average speed/quickness and very poor INT numbers (which sums up both Williams and Harris). I would much rather double dip in rounds 2 and 4 as you suggested.

Now if I can just get Colbert, Tomlin, and the Rooneys to agree with me, we should be fine. LOL.

I totally agree that if we go DL and it is a DE I do not want a run clogger. I want someone who can play the run well and has the ability to penetrate and attack the passer. Teams did not beat us by running the ball and they won't. Teams beat us by the QB having too much time to pick our substandard secondary apart.

I will disagree with those who don't like Cannon. He has shown outstanding athleticism through the process. I'd be Ok with Ijalana but I don't think he is as starter ready as Cannon is.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-31-2011, 01:07 PM

I understand the TE comment. I don't believe that is as much as Ben won't throw to him as we think. From a blocking standpoint, it is much easier for a TE to pick up a LB at the LOS than a RB to pick him up in the backfield. Anyone will tell you let me get him from the start rather than trying to slow him up with a head of steam. Plus the TEs are usually a little more stout in pass pro. The one advantage having a RB block from the backfield is recognition is easier and can be altered in play. When Pouncey or BB change the blocking presnap, I'm sure they are trying to get it picked up at the LOS but guys will still come free and the RB has to man up. I'm sure the musical chair OL over the last several years had BA under utilizing Miller as a receiver to help in protection. Since Spaeth was a disappointment and the offense is facing 8 man fronts with the more productive run game, the best weapon out of 21 & 22 personnel is a TE who is a mismatch against a LB or S. Having 1 (Miller) creates opportunities. Having (2) creates problems for a team who wants to walk the S up. Have to guess right. Believe it or not, BA's scheme is solid & would work if he had the right personnel. But no team is afraid of Matt Spaeth gettin loose down the seam on the backside out of 22 personnel out of a power even playaction. They are playing over the top of Wallace and letting the LB handle the backside TE running the seam or post. But I understand the opposition based on Miller's production. "If it doesn't taste good, why swallow."

I too am not sold on Wilson. I meantioned looking at Top players at their position because when you get to the end of round 1, sometimes the value lies there instead of taking the 4-5 CB or 4-5 OL, DL, etc. I think his neck is a concern but the doctors will know. His instincts are not elite and makes up for false steps with his athleticism. Not a good year for ILB at the top but he is alone.

Don't like the gap in CBs in 1. I'll pass. OL are grouped close. Don't know if Sherrod makes it or he would be the pick. The DT are grouped close after top 2 and the 3-4 DE in the 1st don't suffer a big drop off. If Heyward drops, he may be considered. However, that was a pretty slow "OSU" proday 40 and that surgery might be a concern. They will do the homework.

As far as Ijalana, you can watch his highlights and Kiper is right. Lesser competition but if the guy stands out, like he does, that is a good sign. The questions is how he then projects. Can't look at his measurables because of his sports hernia but you can gauge him on film. There isn't lighter players getting around him and he is beating them to the corner and staying with them as the try to counter. He looks good getting downfield and looks good changing direction and getting on guys in space. If he gets his footwork/kickslide down because he will need it at this level, you might be looking at a franchise LT. I think at worst is you get a starting G his rookie year and could grow into a ProBowler if he doesn't move back outside. His attitude is one you have to like. He says he loves football and lives to play. He said I'm not 6'5" or 6'6" 350 pounder but when I put on the helmet I am. That's a "heart" I want on my football team. I think he is one of those guys 2-3 years down the line everyone goes, "How did we miss him?" Well, he's under the radar because he's not working out but I'm sure there are many scouts, coaches, & GMs who know who he is from his game tape.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
03-31-2011, 01:41 PM
I totally agree that if we go DL and it is a DE I do not want a run clogger. I want someone who can play the run well and has the ability to penetrate and attack the passer. Teams did not beat us by running the ball and they won't. Teams beat us by the QB having too much time to pick our substandard secondary apart.

I will disagree with those who don't like Cannon. He has shown outstanding athleticism through the process. I'd be Ok with Ijalana but I don't think he is as starter ready as Cannon is.

I don't dislike Cannon O. I would be excited if he made it to our 2nd but that might not happen. I just don't see anything that would give him a first round grade being projected to at best a RT. His ceiling looks to be at best a solid RT but I don't think he would be much of an upgrade to slide in to G for the time being. Everyone said how athletic he was until the combine. His cone times show he struggles with change of direction. Out of the 44 OL at the combine that participated in the 20s & 3 cone Cannon finished 38th. That isn't good. He had a 8.07 3 cone & a 4.97 20s. For comparison, Ramon Foster had a 7.96 3 cone & a 4.98 20s. Cannon is no Ramon Foster on tape though. His 10 yard wasn't that good so he comes out slow. His 40 time was good along with his vertical and broad jump so you have a guy with power in his legs that is a longstrider who will cover ground quickly in a straight line. Put up 33 on the bench so he has good upper body strength and 34" inch arms. SO he is a OT specimen who if has a good kickslide would project strong side because he will probably struggle with smaller OLB/DE on the weakside (LT) because of his lack of ability to change direction. Would he be a road grader at RG, I would say yes. He would be be an upgrade in pass pro over Foster. But does he have the feet to be a complete G...No. Maybe he gets his weight down under 320 and it improves but right now he doesn't. So to me, he is basicly a small upgrade at G with the potential to move to RT. We have several of them on the team now. For a 2nd, Adams or Colon's replacement...Absolutely I'm all over it. For a 1st with a ceiling as a RT only...That is a tough one for me.

Oviedo
03-31-2011, 03:22 PM

I don't dislike Cannon O. I would be excited if he made it to our 2nd but that might not happen. I just don't see anything that would give him a first round grade being projected to at best a RT. His ceiling looks to be at best a solid RT but I don't think he would be much of an upgrade to slide in to G for the time being. Everyone said how athletic he was until the combine. His cone times show he struggles with change of direction. Out of the 44 OL at the combine that participated in the 20s & 3 cone Cannon finished 38th. That isn't good. He had a 8.07 3 cone & a 4.97 20s. For comparison, Ramon Foster had a 7.96 3 cone & a 4.98 20s. Cannon is no Ramon Foster on tape though. His 10 yard wasn't that good so he comes out slow. His 40 time was good along with his vertical and broad jump so you have a guy with power in his legs that is a longstrider who will cover ground quickly in a straight line. Put up 33 on the bench so he has good upper body strength and 34" inch arms. SO he is a OT specimen who if has a good kickslide would project strong side because he will probably struggle with smaller OLB/DE on the weakside (LT) because of his lack of ability to change direction. Would he be a road grader at RG, I would say yes. He would be be an upgrade in pass pro over Foster. But does he have the feet to be a complete G...No. Maybe he gets his weight down under 320 and it improves but right now he doesn't. So to me, he is basicly a small upgrade at G with the potential to move to RT. We have several of them on the team now. For a 2nd, Adams or Colon's replacement...Absolutely I'm all over it. For a 1st with a ceiling as a RT only...That is a tough one for me.

I understand what you are saying and you definitely have more knowledge on OL play than I do. I'm just looking at who we can get at #31 who can contribute immediately and has the upside to be a long term starter.

We all know that if we go defensive side of the ball, the earliest we see the player on the field is maybe December. Ijalana may have more upside but to me it just seems like Cannon could step in and deal with AFC North DL opponents sooner because line play in the AFCN is a power game.

Just where I'm coming from but I don't do this for a living so I accept there are probably flaws in my logic.