PDA

View Full Version : Ed: Williams or Harris Would Fit the Bill for Steelers

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2011, 07:50 PM
Ed: Williams or Harris Would Fit the Bill for Steelers

WEDNESDAY, 30 MARCH 2011 09:01 WRITTEN BY ED BOUCHETTE

Good morning,

Mike Tomlin, Kevin Colbert and some Steelers defensive coaches visited the Texas Longhorns pro workout day in Austin, Tuesday.

Aaron Williams had to be high on their viewing schedule. He and Miami’s Brandon Harris are the most likely corners to be available and worthy of the No. 31 pick.

http://c0020036.cdn1.cloudfiles.rackspacecloud.com/images/stories/D_Gigler/tomlin-texas.jpg

Sam Acho, left, a former Longhorns player, talks to Kevin Colbert of the Pittsburgh Steelers, middle, and Steelers coach Mike Tomlin, right. (Jay Janner/American-Statesman)

At 6 feet, Williams is a couple inches taller than Harris. Both are regarded as good in coverage and good enough against the run. Both are aggressive but scouts say Harris is a little more physical. Either would fit the bill.

Forget about Jimmy Smith of Colorado. He has the talent but character issues and attitude are big questions and he might not even be on the Steelers draft board because of them. Smith, in fact, might be hurting the Steelers because if he drops into the second round, one of those other teams that wanted a cornerback might take Harris or Williams ahead of the Steelers.

--- I once tried to go watch Pitt’s Pro Day and was barred from doing so. They allowed every Tom, Dick & Harry into the indoor field to watch but kept the media out. Maybe they should take a lesson from Texas, where media was not only allowed in, but plenty of photos taken by them. What’s wrong with a little good publicity in March for a college program in a pro town?

--- YOU: In the past you've been right on with your prediction of the Steelers first round draft pick. Do you have enough information yet for this year's selection?

ME: Are the Steelers ready to make their pick? No. Then I’m not either. You do not understand all the time that goes into that, the film study, the reading of reports by all the draftniks and, of course, the many mock drafts that have to be drawn up before just the right scenario occurs. I supposed I could do what many of them do, a different mock each week with a different pick for the Steelers during the two months leading up to the draft. That way, I’d have a better chance of saying I was right.

---- Yes, I’ve been on the money in my past two predictions that the Steelers would take Ziggy Hood and Maurkice Pouncey in the first round. That’s called stretching your luck. If I do it a third time, maybe the boss will let me retire the trophy and move on to something else.

--- The first round of the draft will be held Thursday night April 28 starting at 8 p.m. That will have the Steelers picking after midnight. Remember that the next time Commissioner Roger Goodell says “the fans want it.’’

--- Send Me & You questions to platefloor@aol.com .

--- Follow me (but not too closely) on Twitter @EdBouchette.

http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/inde ... r-steelers (http://plus.sites.post-gazette.com/index.php/pro-sports/steelers/108966-ed-williams-or-harris-would-fit-the-bill-for-steelers)

Chadman
03-30-2011, 08:53 PM
Colbert & Tomlin yacking it up with Acho for 'several minutes' apparently....

Can we have too many OLB's?

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2011, 09:34 PM

Our OLB's are Harrison, Woodley, and Worilds. Is 3 too many?

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2011, 02:33 AM

Our OLB's are Harrison, Woodley, and Worilds. Is 3 too many?

I would say no...

Worilds is no sure thing, Deebo has already mentioned the "Retirement" word and Woodley may be tough to sign to a long-term contract.

but would the Steelers draft back-up OLB projects in the 2nd round in back to back years?

Steel Life
03-31-2011, 02:19 PM
--- I once tried to go watch Pitt’s Pro Day and was barred from doing so. They allowed every Tom, bad word & Harry into the indoor field to watch but kept the media out. Maybe they should take a lesson from Texas, where media was not only allowed in, but plenty of photos taken by them. What’s wrong with a little good publicity in March for a college program in a pro town?

--- YOU: In the past you've been right on with your prediction of the Steelers first round draft pick. Do you have enough information yet for this year's selection?

ME: Are the Steelers ready to make their pick? No. Then I’m not either. You do not understand all the time that goes into that, the film study, the reading of reports by all the draftniks and, of course, the many mock drafts that have to be drawn up before just the right scenario occurs. I supposed I could do what many of them do, a different mock each week with a different pick for the Steelers during the two months leading up to the draft. That way, I’d have a better chance of saying I was right.

---- Yes, I’ve been on the money in my past two predictions that the Steelers would take Ziggy Hood and Maurkice Pouncey in the first round. That’s called stretching your luck. If I do it a third time, maybe the boss will let me retire the trophy and move on to something else.

--- The first round of the draft will be held Thursday night April 28 starting at 8 p.m. That will have the Steelers picking after midnight. Remember that the next time Commissioner Roger Goodell says “the fans want it.’’
Can always count on Ed Douchette to be a downer...wish he would just cover the baseball instead.

Sugar
03-31-2011, 03:04 PM
--- I once tried to go watch Pitt’s Pro Day and was barred from doing so. They allowed every Tom, bad word & Harry into the indoor field to watch but kept the media out. Maybe they should take a lesson from Texas, where media was not only allowed in, but plenty of photos taken by them. What’s wrong with a little good publicity in March for a college program in a pro town?

Can always count on Ed Douchette to be a downer...wish he would just cover the baseball instead.

What's the downer?

Steelers>NFL
03-31-2011, 03:52 PM

What's the downer?

Yeah, and what is there to cover in baseball? The Pirates??? Really...

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2011, 08:50 PM
NFL Draft 2011: Aaron Williams Is Ideal Pick for Pittsburgh Steelers

By Dan Tylicki (Featured Columnist) on March 30, 2011

http://cdn.bleacherreport.net/images_root/images/photos/001/167/401/109698927_crop_340x234.jpg?1301522039

Joe Robbins/Getty Images
NFL Draft 2011 Mocks Have Aaron Williams Going to Pittsburgh Steelers

The Pittsburgh Steelers' biggest need in the draft, aside from perhaps the offensive line, is the cornerback spot. Troy Polamalu can only do so much at the safety position, so the cornerback spot needs to be bolstered up.

One possibility in the first round for them is Texas cornerback Aaron Williams. He had only an okay combine and started to slip in the draft, but after a great pro day where he greatly improved his 40 time, Williams may be able to slide in the back end of the first round.

This actually seems very likely to happen. The Steelers could use some cornerback depth, and Williams does have the ability to be a safety if needed. WalterFootball has the Steelers drafting Williams in the first round, noting:

"The best player who makes sense for the Steelers is Aaron Williams. Williams is a better fit for Pittsburgh's defense than Brandon Harris, and he can play free safety in addition to cornerback. So, if he fails at corner, he could always replace Ryan Clark down the road (think Antrel Rolle)."

At the same time, he will probably be the best remaining player on the board at that point unless someone unexpected falls that far down. There will be plenty of offensive line talent that the Steelers can select in the second round, so they will be able to fill both holes without much trouble.

Even though there may be questions about whether he can be a cornerback full time in the NFL, I can see the Steelers selecting Williams with the 31st pick.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/6499 ... h-steelers (http://bleacherreport.com/articles/649925-nfl-draft-2011-latest-pittsburgh-steelers-rumors-news-and-predictions/entry/57666-nfl-draft-2011-aaron-williams-is-ideal-pick-for-pittsburgh-steelers)