PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin and LeBeau attend Cameron Heyward's make-up workout

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2011, 01:36 PM
Ohio State’s Heyward holds makeup workout
By Steve Wyche
Published: March 30th, 2011

Defensive end Cam Heyward, who had Tommy John surgery in January, had his makeup workout at Ohio State on Wednesday.

A source at the workout said Heyward weighed 295 pounds, ran the 40-yard dash in the 4.95-4.96 range and had a 35-inch vertical jump. He did not bench. He has been cleared for the activity medically, but hasn’t trained for it. Heyward did all the field drills.

Among those in attendance were Chargers general manager A.J. Smith, Steelers coach Mike Tomlin and defensive coordinator Dick LeBeau.

Check back for further updates on NFL.com later in the day.

http://blogs.nfl.com/2011/03/30/ohio-states-heyward-holds-makeup-workout/

PSU_dropout43
03-30-2011, 03:01 PM
Tommy John surgery?

Yikes, knock him down a round.

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2011, 03:04 PM
Tommy John surgery?

He should get an extra couple of miles per hour on his fastball after the Tommy John surgery. :wink:

Steel Life
03-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Its going to come down to either Heyward or Aaron Williams in the first...and I'm okay with that.

isonator07
03-30-2011, 07:01 PM
If we dont get Pouncey and a first round caliber corner isnt available, i would be pumped to pick Cam Heyward.

Oviedo
03-31-2011, 12:55 PM
Heyward is too hot and cold for me. I would not be happy if we took him at 1.31.

Shawn
04-02-2011, 04:58 PM
Heyward certainly runs hot and cold. But, I think some of that is because teams probabaly defense against him. What Heyward is capable of was clearly seen against Alabama. He was manhandling grown men. I don't think there is anyway that the Steelers scouts will be willing to ignore his physical attributes and elite skill. He is certainly on their radar. Heyward and Hood would be a very attractive pair on that DL. And despite Keisel playing well last season he is not getting any younger. I think there is a very strong possibility that the Steelers will take Heyward over a guy like Williams despite need.

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2011, 10:30 PM
STEELERS POSITION REVIEW – DEFENSIVE LINE

For the most part, our review of the defensive line is going to sound like deja vu. The Steelers had the oldest defensive line in the NFL last season. We’ve been talking about the Steelers’ aging defensive line for years now. And yet the team has seemed to be content to stand pat. However, in 2010 fate intervened and forced them to make a change.

Aaron Smith has manned the left defensive end position for the Steelers since 2000 when he became a starter. He’s been as good at that position as anyone in the league. In fact, we’ve often said that Smith has been among the most under-rated players in the NFL. Unfortunately, even the best players age, and Aaron Smith is no exception.

When he’s healthy, Smith is still a great player. Unfortunately, he hasn’t been healthy very often lately. Over the past two seasons, Aaron Smith has played in a total of 11 games (5 in 2009, 6 in 2010). Both seasons were cut short by injuries. In each case, the Steelers held a roster position for him for the entire season in the hopes that he’d make a comeback. And in each case, he was unable to do so.

Smith will be 35 this season, and is scheduled to make $4.5 million. That’s a lot of money to pay a player who hasn’t even played half of the games during each of the past 2 years. Moreover, based on Ziggy Hood’s play last year, Aaron Smith would likely be a backup. If the Steelers can’t work out a new deal with Smith, at a significantly lower price, his days with the Steelers are likely over.

Ziggy Hood is the reason why Smith is expendable. The former first round draft pick stepped in when Smith went down, and the Steelers didn’t miss a beat. In fact, the team was even more effective against the run. And at only 24 years old, I expect to see Hood manning the position for quite some time.

In the middle of the line, we have Casey Hampton. Hampton is one of my favorite players on the Steelers. For a guy who looks big and intimidating, he’s as nice as they come. But like Aaron Smith, age is catching up to Hampton. Hampton will be 34 years old next season.

Hampton is not nearly as dominant as he once was. His days as a Pro Bowl player are behind him, and his production has dropped considerably. Hampton recorded only 10 tackles this season. That’s his lowest total since 2004 when he was injured and played in only 6 games. Moreover, he had his the lowest tackles/game average of his entire career. He averaged fewer tackle per game than he did as a rookie.

Hampton will be back next season, but it’s time for the Steelers to draft his replacement. They can’t afford to go another season without a young player developing behind Hampton.

Hampton’s current backup is Chris Hoke. Hoke has been a solid backup for years now. He’s a good locker room guy, and the team hardly misses a beat when he enters the game. The problem is that Hoke is even older than Hampton. Hoke will be 35 during the upcoming season. It makes no sense to have a 34 year old starter and a 35 year old backup.

Hoke is also an unrestricted free agent. So he will have the freedom to sign with any team that he desires. Even if he is willing to take a significant pay cut, it may be hard for the Steelers to justify bringing him back.

On the right side of the line, we have the man with the beard, Brett Keisel. Keisel has really come on as a player over the last 2 years. He’s probably surpassed Aaron Smith as the Steelers’ most dominant defensive lineman.

Unfortunately, Keisel is also a member of the 30+ club. Keisel will be 33 this upcoming season. So like Smith, Hampton, and Hoke, his playing days are numbered.

Nick Eason is Keisel’s backup. I’d love to say that Eason is 24 years old. Unfortunately, that wouldn’t be true. Eason will be 31 when the 2011 season begins.

Eason has been a solid backup for the Steelers. Moreover, he’s not particularly expensive. However, as with Aaron Smith and Chris Hoke, can the Steelers continue to invest in backup players who are in their 30?s? Eason’s inexpensive contract will probably buy him another year with the Steelers. But eventually, they have to begin grooming backup players who are in their 20?s, rather than in their 30?s.

Sunny Harris is a player who could potentially fill that role someday. However, I’m not optimistic. I’ve attended every day of Steelers Training Camp for the past 3 years, and I have yet to see Sunny Harris do a single thing that impressed me. He makes as many memorable plays as Tony Hills (and that’s not good). Harris’ age (24 years old) is a positive, but his playing ability is a negative. Nevertheless, unless the Steelers draft a few young defensive linemen, Sunny Harris will probably continue to waste space on the Steelers’ practice field.

I have a suggestion for you, Sunny; steroids.

Steve McClendon is an undersized 3rd string nose tackle who was brought up to the active roster due to injuries. Need I say any more about him?

So, let’s summarize. The Steelers have a bunch of 30-something defensive linemen who are nearing the end of their careers. Two thirds of the starters fall into this category, and all of their primary backups. They have only one player under 30 who gets significant playing time, and two other young backups who are not likely to make an impact in the near future. Do you think we might see the Steelers take a defensive lineman or two in the upcoming draft? I certainly hope so.

http://steelerstoday.com/?p=8408

Shawn
04-03-2011, 12:12 AM
Tommy John surgery?

The great majority have a full recovery.

Chadman
04-03-2011, 09:36 AM
DL is probably the most overlooked need for the Steelers on this site.

Cam Heyward or Phil Taylor in Round 1 is very palatable.

Ballard or Paea in Round 2 would be fine too.

Dip into the DL well while the depth & talent is strong. Can anyone guarentee it'll be this strong next season?

Oviedo
04-03-2011, 09:46 AM

Dip into the DL well while the depth & talent is strong. Can anyone guarentee it'll be this strong next season?

I would love Phil Taylor.

Everyone has been all over trading up to get Pouncey II, but what about a trade up to get Phil Taylor????? You would get the dominant NT in this draft and that position is harder to get than a Guard.

Shawn
04-03-2011, 10:37 AM

I would literally jump for joy if we landed both Taylor and Ballard. Can you imagine that DL? It won't happen, but fun to think about. I agree, we underestimate the amount of need we have on the DL. We are one injury away from being a very average DL.

Shawn
04-03-2011, 10:39 AM

I would love Phil Taylor.

Everyone has been all over trading up to get Pouncey II, but what about a trade up to get Phil Taylor????? You would get the dominant NT in this draft and that position is harder to get than a Guard.

I'm as high on Taylor as I am on Pouncey. I have no idea who I would pick to be honest with you. From a pure talent perspective Taylor may have Pouncey by a hair. But, having twin brothers side by side should solidify the interior OL for years. But, I agree...moving up for Pouncey or Taylor is cool by me.

RuthlessBurgher
04-03-2011, 11:51 AM

I would literally jump for joy if we landed both Taylor and Ballard. Can you imagine that DL? It won't happen, but fun to think about. I agree, we underestimate the amount of need we have on the DL. We are one injury away from being a very average DL.

I agree that DL should be a priority in terms of being one of our top 3 picks in the draft so that we can inject some more youth into an aging position, but how are we one injury away from being a very average d-line? We were supposedly one injury away from being an average d-line last year, and the man who was seemingly our most valuable d-lineman (Aaron Smith) did get hurt, and the DL didn't miss a beat.

If Hampton gets hurt, our starting DL would be Hood-Hoke-Keisel. That's not a very average DL.

If Keisel gets hurt, our starting DL would be Hood-Hampton-Smith. That's not a very average DL.

If Hood gets hurt, our starting DL would be Smith-Hampton-Keisel. That's not a very average DL.

If Smith gets hurt again, our starting DL would be Hood-Hampton-Keisel. That's not a very average DL.

A DL pick would be a pick for the future. If we didn't get one, though, it wouldn't be a disaster in 2011. We could simply re-sign Nick Eason for some additional depth (at 30, he's not young anymore, but he's not old either) and young Steve McLendon was no slouch this past year when we needed him to join the rotation.

Shawn
04-03-2011, 07:25 PM

I agree that DL should be a priority in terms of being one of our top 3 picks in the draft so that we can inject some more youth into an aging position, but how are we one injury away from being a very average d-line? We were supposedly one injury away from being an average d-line last year, and the man who was seemingly our most valuable d-lineman (Aaron Smith) did get hurt, and the DL didn't miss a beat.

If Hampton gets hurt, our starting DL would be Hood-Hoke-Keisel. That's not a very average DL.

If Keisel gets hurt, our starting DL would be Hood-Hampton-Smith. That's not a very average DL.

If Hood gets hurt, our starting DL would be Smith-Hampton-Keisel. That's not a very average DL.

If Smith gets hurt again, our starting DL would be Hood-Hampton-Keisel. That's not a very average DL.

A DL pick would be a pick for the future. If we didn't get one, though, it wouldn't be a disaster in 2011. We could simply re-sign Nick Eason for some additional depth (at 30, he's not young anymore, but he's not old either) and young Steve McLendon was no slouch this past year when we needed him to join the rotation.

If Keisel or Hood is injured we become very average overnight. Hampton has lost more than a step. We have no real legit back ups. Unless Smith signs for pennies on the dollar he won't be back. No way do the Steelers pay him 4.5 million this season.

focosteeler
04-03-2011, 08:01 PM

If Keisel or Hood is injured we become very average overnight. Hampton has lost more than a step. We have no real legit back ups. Unless Smith signs for pennies on the dollar he won't be back. No way do the Steelers pay him 4.5 million this season.

i know im guessing, but i dont think smith would make a scene if they asked him to play for less, considering he wont be starting

NJ-STEELER
04-03-2011, 09:57 PM
casey was throwing around the best center in the league in the AFCC

Chadman
04-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Some of the arguments made 'against' drafting DL are missing the point some are making- right NOW the DL is pretty good. Better than that perhaps.

BUT.

Casey Hampton will be 34 this season. His back-up, Chris Hoke, not only isn't signed, but will be 36. Now, if we are slightly worried about Hampton's age resulting in the more likely occurance of injury- surely we are even more worried about Chris Hoke? Not to mention, as someone stated earlier- Hampton is NOT the lpayer he was 4 years ago- age decreases the players skills. If Hampton regresses again- how far has Hoke regressed? Hoke has been a wonderful Steeler- a real good back-up. But the time to upgrade has arrived. What if...both Hoke & Hampton retire after the season? Do we just draft 2 rookies to fill the hole left by them? No- you have to prepare in advance. Like, this year for example- when you have NT options throughout the first 3 rounds. Phil Taylor- even if he doesn't see the field- is a smart investment to ensure the DL doesn't lose ground in the next couple of seasons.

Aaron Smith is 35. And injuries are hitting him hard. And he costs way above what a back-up should earn. Could he take a cut? Yeah- possibly. But that only gives a band-aid solution- the Steelers DE's are all over 30, except for Hood. If Hampton/Hole's skills are diminishing, it's safe to assume Smith & Keisel will be right there alongside them in that department. Eason is nothing more than a ack-up. And he's over 30 too. Harris & McLendon are average at best.

In the Steelers 3-4, the DL is almost the most important position on the field- they must stop the running game & provide enough pressure to release the OLB's to do their thing. If they don't- the whole defense runs the risk of imploding.

at some point- and Chadman thinks that time was quite possibly LAST season, the Steelers need to get new bodies. And talented ones- not future back-ups, future starters. Phil Taylor is the best NT in the draft. Will there be a better option next season? Do you want to run the risk of missing out? For Chadman NT is the more pressing need as the alternative to Hampton is the unsigned & old Hoke. There is NO depth at the position. Taylor is a very attractive target at #31. But that doesn't discount the need for a 3-4 DE at all. Lawrence Guy has the body for it.

Oviedo
04-04-2011, 09:48 AM
I'd prefer Cameron Jordan or JJ Watt or Phil Taylor over Cameron Heyward

RuthlessBurgher
04-04-2011, 10:12 AM

I do too, but I think Jordan and Watt will both come off the board in the teens (if not earlier).

Chadman
04-04-2011, 10:32 AM
Chadman would prefer Prince Amukemara over Brandon Harris- but sometimes you just have to play the cards dealt...

:D

Shawn
04-04-2011, 11:03 AM

I think everyone would agree with you. But Heyward is actually projected to fall to us.

steelblood
04-04-2011, 11:37 AM
phil taylor runs hot and cold like heyward. Before this past season, I'd say that Taylor was cold more often than hot. Heyward gives great effort and is a leader. He plays hurt and is big in big games. I want players like that. Heyward doesn't get many sacks, but he gets a lot of QB pressures.

The thing about Heyward is that he can (with some coaching) be a force as an interior pass rusher in nickel situations. When we play teams like the colts and pats, heyward could be very helpful.

NorthCoast
02-22-2022, 09:37 AM
Reading these posts was a fun look back.... Shawn and NJS got it right. Ovi.. not so much.

Love me some Cam. A true beast and bright spot this season (check out @ 7:16....I mean what DL does that?!?);

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEqWj9WnLYY

SteelerOfDeVille
02-22-2022, 11:08 AM
Reading these posts was a fun look back.... Shawn and NJS got it right. Ovi.. not so much.

Love me some Cam. A true beast and bright spot this season (check out @ 7:16....I mean what DL does that?!?);

ya gotta trust Shawn with OSU players... I honestly trust him more than the scouts with OSU players... He's likely watched every game and understands what's around them and how it may impact their play

(similarly, I've nailed some Louisville players more accurately than scouts - Will Gay made me look like a genius in some circles - hahaha)

flippy
02-22-2022, 11:17 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEqWj9WnLYY

Its like Ovi always tells us, it’s good fans don’t get to make decisions for the team.

The only caveat is we all post so much, odds are we’ll get one thing right amongst the thousands we get wrong. :)

flippy
02-22-2022, 11:19 AM
ya gotta trust Shawn with OSU players... I honestly trust him more than the scouts with OSU players... He's likely watched every game and understands what's around them and how it may impact their play

(similarly, I've nailed some Louisville players more accurately than scouts - Will Gay made me look like a genius in some circles - hahaha)

Yup. Someone should go pull up these old threads pre draft on every starter we have. Would be interesting to see how right/wrong we all were.

SteelerOfDeVille
02-22-2022, 11:19 AM
Its like Ovi always tells us, it’s good fans don’t get to make decisions for the team.

The only caveat is we all post so much, odds are we’ll get one thing right amongst the thousands we get wrong. :)
during most offseasons, you could also find most of us posting one way, then later changing our minds to go another way. My present sig has Sam Howell, but that's mostly cuz I believed the team would just take a QB i can't say that i want him - hahaha

NorthCoast
02-24-2022, 04:10 PM
during most offseasons, you could also find most of us posting one way, then later changing our minds to go another way. My present sig has Sam Howell, but that's mostly cuz I believed the team would just take a QB i can't say that i want him - hahahaI can honestly say I never changed my opinion on Limas Sweed. Go check it if you don't believe me...:D

Northern_Blitz
02-24-2022, 05:38 PM
I can honestly say I never changed my opinion on Limas Sweed. Go check it if you don't believe me...:D

I assume this means you still think he's a sure fire hall of famer? :p