PDA

View Full Version : Trade up for Pouncey scenario

D Rock
03-29-2011, 01:48 PM
Here's a draft day deal that could happen if Pouncey makes it to New Orleans at 24, just ahead of Seattle (25) and Baltimore (26) who could both likely take him.

Steelers give 1.31 (600 pts), 2.63 (276 pts), and 3.95 (120 pts) - 996 total pts

New Orleans gives 1.24 (740 pts), 3.72 (230 pts) - 970 total pts

NO has traded a lot of late picks away (don't have a 4th, 5th or 6th) and may want to pick some extras up this year.

Steelers could get Pouncey and maybe Dowling, Burton, Brown, or House with the 8th pick of round 3.

Oviedo
03-29-2011, 02:01 PM
Still not buying.

I'll take Marcus Cannon at #31 or trade back into the top of Round 2 and get him there plus get an extra pick in the process.

Still not interested in giving up a pick to get Pouncey II. If he falls to #31 then I'm totally OK with getting him but I wouldn't give up a pick with the needs we have in the secondary and the need to add another young player on the DL

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2011, 02:03 PM
Trading our 1st and 3rd, plus moving our second pick back 9 spots from the late 2nd round to the early 3rd round? Yeah, I could stomach that.

But with the Saints having a first, a second, 2 thirds, and 2 sevenths, they may want something in the middle to break up the monotony of waiting from the 3rd round to the 7th round. This scenario is actually closer in points (we'd only be giving them an extra 6.6 points worth of value instead of giving them 26 points as you suggest).

1.31 = 600
3.95 = 120
5.162 = 26.6

Total = 746.6

1.24 = 740

flippy
03-29-2011, 04:17 PM
I wasn't big on taking Pouncey I so early in last years draft. If we trade up for a guard this year, I'm gonna feel ill.

D Rock
03-29-2011, 04:42 PM
Trading our 1st and 3rd, plus moving our second pick back 9 spots from the late 2nd round to the early 3rd round? Yeah, I could stomach that.

But with the Saints having a first, a second, 2 thirds, and 2 sevenths, they may want something in the middle to break up the monotony of waiting from the 3rd round to the 7th round. This scenario is actually closer in points (we'd only be giving them an extra 6.6 points worth of value instead of giving them 26 points as you suggest).

1.31 = 600
3.95 = 120
5.162 = 26.6

Total = 746.6

1.24 = 740

New Orleans has the power in this situation. I've looked back over recent trades in the last 1/3 of the first round and almost all have the team moving up taking a loss according to the draft value chart. Often times it was between 20 and 60 pts differential.

And I don't think New Orleans would be too worried about monotony or waiting around if they were able to have a late 1st, mid/late 2nd, late 2nd, mid/late 3rd, and late 3rd round picks. I suspect that a team that is close to the top like they are would welcome the opportunity to get 5 picks in the first 3 rounds and set themselves up for more championship runs in the near future, while they still have Brees at the top of his game.

It also keeps an extra pick for the Steelers over the alternative situation. It may not be a top pick, but you can still hit it big on any player or at least get a solid contributor at that stage of the draft.

Shawn
03-29-2011, 07:46 PM
I wouldn't do that because the second round is thick with good DBs. I don't want to give up a second round pick even for Pouncey.

Sugar
03-29-2011, 09:06 PM
I wasn't big on taking Pouncey I so early in last years draft. If we trade up for a guard this year, I'm gonna feel ill.

:Agree

If the guy falls to us and he's BPA, fine. No way I'd ever trade up for him or any other OL. Now if a top CB happened to fall like that and we could get him, I'd consider it.

Chadman
03-29-2011, 09:18 PM
Just curious how you guys feel about something..

Nearly every article written about Mike Pouncey either compares him to Maurkice, or actually describes Maurkice's success instead of Mike's at some point.

Now, it's generally accepted that Mike is not as good as Maurkice.

But how good, in fact, is Mike?

Are comparison's to his brother actually blurring his ability- either positively or negatively?

Can he be graded as simply MIKE POUNCEY, and not Maurkice's brother?

If you took Maurkice COMPLETELY out of the equation- if he wasn't related at all- is Mike Pouncey a mid-1st round draft pick? Is he a 1st round draft pick at all?

Not saying Mike isn't a good player- he could very well be the best interior OL in the draft- but is his draft status elevated simply because of his twin brother?

Here's just a few things that keep bugging Chadman when he reads up on Mike-

Struggled early in the year snapping the ball with accuracy out of the shotgun and getting his hands up quickly in pass protection

Effort isn't always consistent sustaining blocks at the second level

This- under Mike's "Intangibles"-
Intangibles: Nearly identical twin brother Maurkice was Florida's starting center each of the past three seasons and was selected No. 18 overall pick of the 2010 NFL Draft by the Pittsburgh Steelers. Prior to Maurkice leaving Florida early for the NFL, the twins made most of their decisions together. Maurkice wasn't willing to sign with Florida until they offered Mike a scholarship, for example. The twins selected Florida over Florida State, Clemson, Miami (Fla.) and Michigan. - no actual intangibles for Mike alone?

Weaknesses:
Bull rushers give him problems
Needs to finish better
Inconsistent Can be beaten by quick rusher
Lunges at times
Struggled with snaps when moved to center

Summary: Mike Pouncey is obviously going to be compared to his twin brother Maurkice who left Florida a year ago, and as a rookie became one of the NFL's best centers.

It might be unfair to hold Maurkice's success AGAINST Mike, but Chadman just has concerns that...well...maybe Mike is being graded too high simply because he's Maurkice's brother.

Take him at #31? Quite possibly.

TRADE UP for him?

He isn't Maurkice...

Chadman
03-29-2011, 09:20 PM
If Mike wasn't Maurkice's brother-

How do you compare Mike Pouncey to, say, Mike Iupati coming out of college?

NJ-STEELER
03-30-2011, 01:05 AM
if he gets drated before 31

in 4 years he can come to us as a free agent :tt1

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2011, 01:19 AM
It might be unfair to hold Maurkice's success AGAINST Mike, but Chadman just has concerns that...well...maybe Mike is being graded too high simply because he's Maurkice's brother.

for 31 out of 32 NFL teams what you are saying is very true...but for the Pittsburgh Steelers Mike does have added value because he is Maurkice's twin brother.

I watched Mike play in a couple of games this season and although he can't shotgun snap for the life of him, with us he wouldn't be asked to. I thought Mike was very good pulling and blocking people in space and he has a much nastier disposition than Maurkice...Mike is a tough SOB and an instant upgrade over both Kemo and Foster.

flippy
03-30-2011, 08:37 AM
Same DNA does not always equal the same performance. Jose Canseco has a twin brother who never hit a boatload of homeruns in MLB.

I do think Mike is overrated because of his brother.

But if drafting him makes Maurkice happy, there's some potential benefit in that if Mike is at least good.

Oviedo
03-30-2011, 09:41 AM

:Agree

If the guy falls to us and he's BPA, fine. No way I'd ever trade up for him or any other OL. Now if a top CB happened to fall like that and we could get him, I'd consider it.

:Agree :Agree :Agree You don't give away a 3rd round pick to get a Guard.

He is overhyped because of his brothers success. If he falls to #31 consider him but no way trade up to get a Guard.

steelblood
03-30-2011, 10:02 AM
I love Maurkice, but I'm really not that interested in trading up for his brother. He is a nasty player, but he is a guard only and not as good as his brother. Finally, even though he and his brother are on the same wavelength, I'm not sure they complement each other that well. I watched both try to block Cody in college, and I didn't think either anchored really well. Cody was able to occupy both of them very successfully. Maybe an athletic, larger guard is what we need -- like Cannon.

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2011, 10:19 AM

On the other hand, Maurkice will be a free agent first.

He could leave us at that point to sign with Mike's team.

Oviedo
03-30-2011, 10:26 AM
I love Maurkice, but I'm really not that interested in trading up for his brother. He is a nasty player, but he is a guard only and not as good as his brother. Finally, even though he and his brother are on the same wavelength, I'm not sure they complement each other that well. I watched both try to block Cody in college, and I didn't think either anchored really well. Cody was able to occupy both of them very successfully. Maybe an athletic, larger guard is what we need -- like Cannon.

As my mock indicates I think Cannon would be a great #31 for us. He can play Guard to start and he has the potential to move outside to RT and be very good. That is the type of position flexibility Tomlin looks for. I don't think you could ever move Pouncey II outside to RT.

I agree that I want a big athletic bulldozer. I look at Cannon and see the potential to be a tough Flozell Adams type player at RT in the future.

focosteeler
03-30-2011, 11:09 AM

for 31 out of 32 NFL teams what you are saying is very true...but for the Pittsburgh Steelers Mike does have added value because he is Maurkice's twin brother.

I watched Mike play in a couple of games this season and although he can't shotgun snap for the life of him, with us he wouldn't be asked to. I thought Mike was very good pulling and blocking people in space and he has a much nastier disposition than Maurkice...Mike is a tough SOB and an instant upgrade over both Kemo and Foster.

this right here is huge for me personally....one thing i saw with maurkice that i loved. his blocking down the field and his hustle. i saw it with mike the few times i watched florida play this year and thats big for me

NJ-STEELER
03-30-2011, 01:04 PM

:wft

ban this poster

:)

back to the topic, if Mo plays at the level he did as a rookie, he's extended way before he becomes an UFA

birtikidis
03-30-2011, 02:03 PM

this right here is huge for me personally....one thing i saw with maurkice that i loved. his blocking down the field and his hustle. i saw it with mike the few times i watched florida play this year and thats big for me
I've only been saying that for how many months?

focosteeler
03-30-2011, 02:33 PM

I've only been saying that for how many months?

Yes yes :Bow :Bow

Sugar
03-30-2011, 02:38 PM
I'm not saying that Mike Pouncey isn't good or anything. I'm sure he's very good. But he's a guard, for pity's sake. I would rather not spend a first round pick on a guard unless he's BPA. Despite the injuries last year, we did fine on the OL for the most part. I'd rather help the D get younger and better or give Ben another weapon.

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2011, 03:24 PM
[quote="NJ-STEELER":2z851ar5]if he gets drated before 31

:wft

ban this poster

:)

back to the topic, if Mo plays at the level he did as a rookie, he's extended way before he becomes an UFA[/quote:2z851ar5]

:mrgreen:

Just saying that getting in a position to draft Mike would be a virtual guarantee that Maurkice would re-sign, and the brothers would be here together for a long, long time.

birtikidis
03-30-2011, 04:37 PM
I'm not saying that Mike Pouncey isn't good or anything. I'm sure he's very good. But he's a guard, for pity's sake. I would rather not spend a first round pick on a guard unless he's BPA. Despite the injuries last year, we did fine on the OL for the most part. I'd rather help the D get younger and better or give Ben another weapon.
So you don't mind our qb getting pounded into the dirt against nearly every team in the NFL. or the fact that he's the most sacked qb in the league? I guess drafting Faneca in the first round wasn't a good idea when we could have had such quality line play from the likes of brendan stai and kemo all those years (or similar quality guys). add to that the defensive line play we see from teams like the Ravens, the interior of our offensive line may be the weakest of any in the AFC.

hawaiiansteel
03-31-2011, 11:19 PM
Pouncey could be good draft fit for Bears

Brother of Steelers' Pro Bowl center would help at guard and eventually center

http://www.chicagotribune.com/media/photo/2011-03/60532709.jpg

Florida's Mike Pouncey leads the team onto the field during warm-ups prior to action against Alabama. (Gary W. Green, McClatchy-Tribune / October 2, 2010)

By Vaughn McClure, Tribune Reporter
March 30, 2011

Maybe Mike Tice had a hint of humor in his tone when he huddled with top offensive line prospect Mike Pouncey at Florida's Pro Day, but the Bears line coach's parting words gave Pouncey every indication he aced the interview.

"Coach Tice told me he'd see me at training camp,'' Pouncey said with a laugh. "Well, we'll see what happens.''

Pouncey, if available, would be a viable option for the Bears with the 29th overall pick April 28 in the NFL draft. The 6-foot-5-inch, 303-pounder is capable of starting at guard initially then eventually filling 33-year-old Olin Kreutz's shoes at center. And Pouncey has bloodlines in his favor, being the twin brother of Steelers Pro Bowl rookie center Maurkice Pouncey.

Mike Pouncey firmly believes he will have an immediate impact.

"We know his history,'' Bears coach Lovie Smith said.

Pouncey, who started 41 games at Florida and has been lauded for his footwork and work ethic, would seem like a safe bet to enhance a still-suspect offensive line. That's why Smith and Tice had a private meeting with him at the NFL scouting combine. That's why Tice dissected plays on a blackboard with Pouncey after Florida's Pro Day.

"I think he was very impressed with my football smarts,'' Pouncey.

Good thing, because Tice has 37 protection schemes to absorb.

"We just had an exceptional time together." Pouncey said. "I felt like we had a special bond, and that's something I'm looking forward to on draft day.''

But here's a catch: the ultra-competitive Pouncey has vowed to be selected higher than his brother, who the Steelers picked 18th in 2010.

"If I'm there at 29, I'll never hear the end of it from my brother,'' Pouncey said. "I'm shooting for 18 or higher. So, yeah, I guess the Bears would have to trade up.''

Of course, Pouncey was joking about the latter because there is no telling how the draft will unfold. Teams usually prioritize tackles, so players such as USC's Tyron Smith, Boston College's Anthony Castonzo and Wisconsin's Gabe Carimi might push Pouncey down the draft board. Then again, there is something to be said about Pouncey's versatility.

"I want to accomplish all the stuff my brother has so if that means going to the Pro Bowl playing guard my first year, then I'm perfectly fine with it,'' said Pouncey, who initially declared himself a center. "I can play any position on the line.''

Even tackle?

"Most definitely, he said. "It doesn't matter where they put me.''

Whatever position he plays, he wouldn't mind being in the Chicago-area for the start of training camp, as Tice suggested.

"I felt like I did everything I could to impress them at the combine and at Pro Day,'' Pouncey said of the Bears. "It would be a great place to play. But if it doesn't work out, I'll just have to live with it.''

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/fo ... 7616.story (http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-0331-mike-pouncey-bears-chicag20110330,0,1557616.story)

Oviedo
04-01-2011, 10:05 AM
So you don't mind our qb getting pounded into the dirt against nearly every team in the NFL. or the fact that he's the most sacked qb in the league? I guess drafting Faneca in the first round wasn't a good idea when we could have had such quality line play from the likes of brendan stai and kemo all those years (or similar quality guys). add to that the defensive line play we see from teams like the Ravens, the interior of our offensive line may be the weakest of any in the AFC.

Our QB can greatly help solve that problem by better utilizing hot reads and getting rid of the ball. He has to quit always looking for the big play. I've said for years that if Ben would dink and dunk alot more he would be unstoppable with a 70% completion rate. He would also open up the deeper routes he loves to throw but he would have the defense on their heels versus the attack mode.

birtikidis
04-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I can't understand how you guys can rest on the laurels of an undrafted free agent guard on one side and an erratic oft times stupid guard on the other. I just don't get it. Blame it on the qb. sure he can fix some aspects of his game, but the reality is our offensive line is still our weakest unit. It's MUCH more of a need then any other.
y'all make it sound like our defense should be able to hold teams under 100 yards passing and under 50 yards rushing EVERY GAME. But the fact that our 3rd and short offense, goal line offense and red zone offense is pathetic doesn't seem to bother you. Our offensive line has been terrible for at least five years.

Oviedo
04-01-2011, 01:04 PM
I can't understand how you guys can rest on the laurels of an undrafted free agent guard on one side and an erratic oft times stupid guard on the other. I just don't get it. Blame it on the qb. sure he can fix some aspects of his game, but the reality is our offensive line is still our weakest unit. It's MUCH more of a need then any other.
y'all make it sound like our defense should be able to hold teams under 100 yards passing and under 50 yards rushing EVERY GAME. But the fact that our 3rd and short offense, goal line offense and red zone offense is pathetic doesn't seem to bother you. Our offensive line has been terrible for at least five years.

Speaking for myself I don't particularly like either Foster or Kemo. It just comes down to what do you think the bigger problems are on the team. The Steelers are not going to load up their OL with 1st and 2nd Round picks. It will throw the salary cap structure out of whack. They are clearly committed to getting mid round guys and trying to develop them. Personally, I advocate getting Marcus cannon at #31 or trading back into Round 2 and taking him because I don't like Foster or Kemo.

That being said if we do have a average OL then Ben can do alot to compenstate for that by modifying, just slightly, his style of play. The offense is a unit. It's not static and you have to be flexible enough not just to take advanatage of your strengths, but also compensate for your weaknesses.

birtikidis
04-01-2011, 01:28 PM
IMO Guard should be our #1 pick.. though I would only really want Pouncey... I like Cannon too, just in a trade back scenario... I actually like Foster.. just not as a guard. Having said that, I'd much rather trade up for Pouncey. I don't see a whole lot of areas of need on this team. They're doing something right to be in 3 of the last 6 superbowls... we have talent, just not depth. I really don't want to reach for any of the corners that will be available in the first.. Dowling is intriguing in the second..
and actually, IMO taking a guard is less of a salary cap risk then taking a corner. Guards generally make much less money then a corner...

Sugar
04-01-2011, 05:13 PM

While I wish Ben got sacked less, we did alright last year even with all the injuries. If we could get any consistency in the lineup, we'd have an upper mid-grade line, which is fine by me. In the past we had to have top talent on the line to compensate for the poor players that were taking snaps.

Hopefully, Pouncey comes back healthy and stronger than last year and the rest of the line heals up as well. I'd be happy with that if we can add weapons on either side of the ball.

hawaiiansteel
04-02-2011, 05:27 PM
Expecting the Unexpected: What if the Steelers trade up for someone not named Pouncey?

by big_jay71 on Mar 26, 2011

The general consensus is that the most desired player in the 2011 NFL draft for most fans is Florida Offensive Guard Mike Pouncey, twin brother of current Steelers Offensive Center Maurkice Pouncey. And why shouldnít he be? Maurkice Pouncey was named to the Pro-Bowl in his first year and the Steelers have a huge hole at Right Guard, so why not get a carbon copy of a current Pro-Bowler to fill that need? Mike Pouncey has become a hot commodity and itís become highly unlikely that heíll be available when the Steelers make their selection at pick 31, so if the Steelers want him bad enough theyíll have to trade up to get him.

But what if the Steelers front office doesnít like him as much as the Steelers faithful? Just because his brother became an instant success doesnít mean that Mike Pouncey will too. And the Steelers have other needs besides just at Offensive Guard, some would say that Cornerback is a much bigger need. And what about Offensive Tackle? Eventually when a new CBA is reached Willie Colon will probably be an unrestricted free agent. Will the Steelers be able to afford him then? If not thatíll leave soon-to-be 36 year old Flozell Adams to man the right side of our O-line. He filled in relatively well last season but heís not a permanent solution.

And what about the age concerns of our defensive line? With the exception of Ziggy Hood the youngest defensive linemen is Nick Eason at 30 years old. Aaron Smith has missed a significant portion of two out of the last three seasons. Brett Keisel has even missed a little time as well. And while Casey Hampton is still able to occupy multiple blockers heís no longer getting the same kind of push that weíre used to of him.

Itís with all of these questions that I ask you readers "What if the Steelers traded up in the 2011 NFL draft for someone other than Florida Offensive Guard Mike Pouncey?" Well for this article Iím going to pick a player or two at each position that makes any kind of sense and give my reasoning why I feel the Steelers should pull the trigger on them.

Cornerback:

Perhaps the Steelers direst need is for help at Cornerback. Ike Taylor, whoís the only Cornerback on the roster whoís even close to Pro-Bowl caliber, is a 30 year old free agent. While itís likely that heíll resign with the Steelers at some point his pending free agency is not the only issue at the position. During the 2010 NFL draft the Steelers traded a 5th round pick to the Arizona Cardinals to retain Bryant McFadden. Unfortunately he did not regain the promise he was showing during the 2009 season and spent most of this past season injured. Willie GayÖ..nothing needs to be said. Everyone already knows about how badly he needs to be replaced, and given that heís a free agent as well heíll need to be replaced right away. Whatís left are special teamers (Anthony Madison) and previous late-round picks (Keenan Lewis, Crezdon Butler) that havenít shown anything worth getting excited about, although Iím still hopeful that Butler will shine in his second season. Itís very possible that the Steelers indeed take two Cornerbacks in the upcoming draft to cover the deficiencies. Focusing on the first round though there will probably be four Cornerbacks chosen. The prize is LSUís Patrick Peterson. I know everyone salivates at the idea of having him on the Steelers, as do I, but I can say with absolute certainty that itís not going to happen. In my own personal mock draft I have him going to the San Francisco 49ers with the seventh overall pick and I see no way he makes it past there. It would probably take two first rounds picks plus more to move ahead of them, and thatís not counting the fact that the team who holds the pick in front of the 49ers is the Cleveland Browns, and I have a hard time seeing a deal get done between two hated rivals. On our end of the first round spectrum there is Coloradoís Jimmy Smith and Miamiís Brandon Harris. Iím a big fan of Jimmy Smith but given his attitude and past issues with the law I donít think the Steelers will give him much consideration. Brandon Harris is a Steelers fan favorite and may even be available with the Steelers select at 31. But for the purposes of this article Iím going to focus on Nebraskaís Prince Amukamara.

Prince Amukamara

Height: 6í0"
Weight: 206lbs.
40 Time: 4.37secs
Bench: 16reps
Vertical: 38in

Analysis:
If Patrick Peterson is number 1 then Amukamara is 1a. Just about the only thing that separates the two is that Peterson has out of this world return ability. Amukamara is actually a little better at run support. He has elite size, strength, speed, and coverage ability and would be the perfect fit in the Steelers defense. Of course the biggest issue is cost. The most likely landing spot for Amukamara is at the ninth pick to the Dallas Cowboys, and they could really use his services so it would be hard to get them to trade back if heís available. A good trade partner would be the Tennessee Titans at pick 8. They really need a Quarterback in light of the eventual releasing of Vince Young and the age of Kerry Collins and both Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton should be gone by then. Their best option would be trading back to the end of the first round to take Ryan Mallett or Chris Ponder. It would take our 1st, 2nd, and probably 4th or 5th round picks to get him. While I really think it would be worth it to get someone of his caliber it may be too costly to the Steelers front office.

Offensive Tackle:

While on the surface Offensive Tackle doesnít seem to be as big of a need as Offensive Guard it is still a need none the less. Currently starting Left Tackle Max Starks ended the season on I.R. Even when healthy he struggles against speed rushers. Heís a much better fit on the right side of the line. As previously stated Willie Colon also ended the season on I.R. Heíll be a free agent when a new CBA is reached and is not likely to give the Steelers a discount to retain his services. He already has a Super Bowl ring and is now looking to get paid. Itís probable that if his salary demands are too high the Steelers will just let him walk. After Colon was sidelined with a ruptured Achilles tendon the Steelers went out and signed former Dallas Cowboys Pro-Bowl tackle Flozell "Hotel" Adams to fill in, and fill in well he did. But heís currently 35 years old (turns 36 in May) and can be considered nothing more than insurance in the instance that Willie Colon is not resigned. If Colon leaves Adams will be a stop-gap for the coming season until the Steelers find a long-term solution. That solution may come in the 2011 draft. Currently there are five Offensive Tackles slated to go in the first round of the 2011 NFL draft. For this article I will focus on just one, Wisconsinís Gabe Carimi.

Gabe Carimi

Height: 6í7"
Weight: 314lbs.
40 Time: 5.12secs
Bench: 29reps
Arms: 35in

Analysis:
Gabe Carimi is the embodiment of what a Pittsburgh Steelers player should be. Heís a big, strong, nasty, blue collar-type that would be a welcome addition to the O-line. While a lot of people may consider him a Right Tackle only, which he may indeed be in the NFL, he has proven capable of protecting a QBís blindside against some of the best pass-rushers the coming draft offers such as OSUís Cameron Heyward and Iowaís Adrian Clayborn. Heís also a devout Jew who even fasts on Yom Kippur so I wouldnít expect a lot of behavioral problems from him. Because of the lack of consensus on the order of which the 5 Offensive Tackles will be chosen it makes pin-pointing where heíll go a little more difficult. Carimi could go as early as to the Patriots at 17, the Chargers at 18, the Giants at 19, the Colts at 22, the Eagles at 23, or even the Ravens at 26. The most likely candidates though are the Colts and Eagles. That would mean that the Steelers would need to trade up with the Chiefs at 21 or the Bucs at 20. The Chiefs really need a WR, NT, and a pass-rushing OLB to compliment Tamba Hali. With Julio Jones already gone by then and the lack of depth at 3-4 OLB the Chiefs could be persuaded to trade back and acquire more picks, which would be the M.O. of Chiefs GM Scott Pioli during his time with the Patriots. As for the Bucs, maybe the Mike Tomlin-Raheem Morris connection could bear a little fruit. Tampaís biggest need is for a 4-3 Defensive End of which there are plenty in this draft. In either event the Steelers should be able to trade up for the slight cost of our 1st, 3rd, and maybe a late round pick. If the Front Office thinks that Carimi can anchor either the left or right side of our line for the next decade+ then I think that it would be well worth it.

Defensive Lineman:

Now of the three areas of need for the Steelers this might be the easiest one to forgo at first glance. While Cornerback and Offensive line are positions where the Steelers need someone to step in fairly quickly the defensive line is all set. Like Ziggy Hood anyone drafted will not need to step in right away. However that doesnít mean the Steelers should hold off until the issue becomes a dire one. Brett Keisel (32), Casey Hampton (33), Aaron Smith (34), Chris Hoke (34), and Nick Eason (30) are all getting up there in age and they play an essential role for our defense. Without them being able to occupy blockers the Linebackers wonít be free to apply pressure on the QB, and without that pressure the philosophy on which the defense is predicated on will fall apart. Because this need encompasses two positions Iíve selected both Cal DE Cameron Jordan and Baylor NT Phil Taylor.

Cameron Jordan

Height: 6í4"
Weight: 287lbs.
40 Time: 4.71secs
Bench: 25reps
Vertical: 31in

Phil Taylor

Height: 6í3"
Weight: 334lbs.
40 Time: 5.18secs
Bench: 31reps
Vertical: 29in

Analysis:
Cameron Jordan has been a hot prospect since the end of the regular season. At the Senior Bowl he put on a clinic, beating all of the so-called "elite" O-line talent currently sitting atop the 2011 NFL draft. Not counting Marcell Dareus and Nick Fairly, would be better off in a 4-3 defense anyway, Jordan is the top prospect for 3-4 Defensive Ends. Playing at Cal he also has experience playing in a 3-4 defense and during the combine and pro day he showed his ability to drop back in coverage, something that Steelers Defensive Ends are asked to do from time to time. He could go as early at the 12th pick to Minnesota but will not make it past the Patriots at 17. The prime spots for a trade up would be the Rams at pick 14 and the Dolphins at pick 15. The Rams really covet Alabama WR Julio Jones but itís likely that heíll be selected by Washington at 10. WR is their biggest need so they would be a good team to trade with, allowing them to take the top WR of the next tier such as Pittís Jon Baldwin or Marylandís Torrey Smith. The Dolphins biggest needs are at Quarterback and Running back. Unfortunately for them both Blaine Gabbert and Cam Newton will be long gone, and they could easily trade back and still get the top Running back in the draft in Alabamaís Mark Ingram. In either case it would cost the Steelers their 1st round pick in addition to their 2nd and 5th, or their 3rd and 4th.

Like with Cameron Jordan, Phil Taylor really made a name for himself at the Senior Bowl. Heís the consensus top NT for the 2011 NFL draft. I even wrote a player profile for him which you can read here. Quality NTís are hard to find, especially with so many teams in the NFL now employing some version of the 3-4 defense. While Casey Hampton probably has another year or two in him of quality play taking Taylor would be a sound investment in the future as NTís are tough to find. And because of his size and athletic ability he could even play Defensive End if needed much like Haloti Ngata does for the Baltimore Ravens. The earliest and most likely destination for Phil Taylor is to Kansas City at 21. Ron Edwards is a free agent and needed to be replaced anyway. If the Chiefs bypass him he could go to the Ravens at 26 or the Jets at 30. To out maneuver the Chiefs the Steelers could trade up with the Bucs at pick 20. As previously stated in the analysis for Gabe Carimi it should cost us our 1st, 3rd, and maybe a late round pick. If however he were to make it past the Chiefs then it wouldnít take much to trade in front of the Ravens. A team like the Saints, with seemingly few needs could be persuaded to trade back and it would only cost us a 3rd rounder at most.

Final Word:

As far as all of these prospects are concerned I wouldnít mind if the Steelers front office made a play for any of them. They all have something to contribute to the team. Prince Amukamara is basically a pipe dream. The cost involved in trading into the top ten would be too much for the Steelers to consider no matter how good he is or how dire the need. Of all the Offensive Tackle prospects with a first round grade Gabe Carimi fits the style of lineman the Steelers seem to prefer. If Willie Colon isnít resigned the position does become a more important need. He could start right away on the right side, leaving Flozell Adams as the top back-up, and could possibly play on the left side depending on how quickly he develops.

When people think of the Steelers they think of defense. Thatís just the way itís always been and always will be. If the Steelers do make a big trade to move up the draft board itís more likely going to be for a defensive stud, and not necessarily for a Cornerback. While I agree that the position does need to be addressed that fact remains that in the Steelers 3-4 zone defense a Cornerback just isnít as important. As long as Ike Taylor resigns I would be fine with the Steelers waiting until the second or third round to address the position as long as the players they took first were worth it.

The defense is predicated on pressure and as such trading up for Cameron Jordan or Phil Taylor makes a potential trade-up more valuable even though both players may not make an immediate impact. I believe Cameron Jordan is going to be a very good player, as does most everyone else, and with so many teams needing a 3-4 Defensive End itís going to be tough to get him. As with Prince Amukamara the price may be too much, although in the long run it could be worth it.

As stated in my player profile Iím also a big fan of Phil Taylorís. I think that with the athletic ability he possesses in addition to his mammoth size he could give the Steelers a big (both literally and figuratively) weapon to use. If he makes it past Kansas City the price may be right to trade up without mortgaging the rest of the draft to do so.

Having said all of that I still would be happy if the Steelers traded up for Mike Pouncey. Unlike most Iíve tried to keep my expectations realistic about his potential. Just because his twin brother was able to start right away and earn a Pro-bowl invite in his first year doesnít mean that he will, of course he could too. At this point itís all speculation. All I know is that the Steelers have been pretty good at picking good talent in the first round and theyíre not going to be slaves to need. So come draft day it could be anyone of the playerís mentioned above or someone else entirely.

http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/20 ... or-someone (http://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2011/3/26/2072238/expecting-the-unexpected-what-if-the-steelers-trade-up-for-someone)