PDA

View Full Version : Tomlin, Colbert & gang attend Texas pro-day

PSU_dropout43
03-29-2011, 12:39 PM
http://blogs.nfl.com/category/pro-days/

AUSTIN, Texas ó Texasí pro day is under way and it didnít take me long to figure out the Pittsburgh Steelersí top draft needs.

The Super Bowl team sent its head coach, GM, and entire defensive staff to take a look at defensive backs Aaron Williams, Curtis Brown and Chykie Brown, as well as pass-rusher Sam Acho. They arenít alone.

Among the 53 coaches, scouts and personnel men here, all 32 teams are represented. The contingent includes two head coaches, Pittsburghís Mike Tomlin and Detroitís Jim Schwartz, and about 30 assistant coaches, which tells me their teamís scouts gave the Texas players high grades and they are here to verify the reports and poke around some more.

Others here include Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer, Cowboys director of scouting Tom Ciskowski, Jets defensive backs coach Dennis Thurman, and Broncos scout Cornell Green (a basketball player from Utah State I signed as an undrafted free agent in 1962).

Iíll check in later with results.

Gil Brandt

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2011, 12:52 PM
Perhaps the reason that they have shown so much interest in Brandon Burton up to this point is because they knew that they would not be able to make it to Utah's Pro Day today, because they already knew that they would be sending their entire defensive staff to the Texas Pro Day that was taking place at the same time.

flippy
03-29-2011, 01:33 PM
I wonder who the Steelers are most interested in seeing?

Mike Tomlin always seems to like the athletes and I wouldn't be surprised if he really is interested in Curtis Brown.

All 3 corners are interesting prospects.

D Rock
03-29-2011, 01:34 PM
Perhaps the reason that they have shown so much interest in Brandon Burton up to this point is because they knew that they would not be able to make it to Utah's Pro Day today, because they already knew that they would be sending their entire defensive staff to the Texas Pro Day that was taking place at the same time.

That makes good logistical sense. There are 2 top CBs and a handful of other players all at the same place. Might as well send your entire contingent there. Bang for the buck.

Then just fly in one player at a convenient time to meet with the entire staff again.

I know the Steelers like to put up smoke screens and keep their intentions hidden, but this much attention to CBs means something. It's too expensive, both in time and money, not to mean something.

And it is all fringe 2nd round CBs so far. Is it because they are anticipating giving up their 3rd and 4th if need be to get Pouncey 2.0, and having to take a CB in the 2nd out of necessity with out any other useful picks left???

Oviedo
03-29-2011, 02:09 PM
I wonder who the Steelers are most interested in seeing?

Mike Tomlin always seems to like the athletes and I wouldn't be surprised if he really is interested in Curtis Brown.

All 3 corners are interesting prospects.

I think it could be Brown too. I really can't see how Acho fits.

RuthlessBurgher
03-29-2011, 02:39 PM
I don't think Curtis Brown or Davon House will fall to #63 (I think both are mid-2 prospects at this point). I'm hoping that Ras-I Dowling's health question marks make him available to us in round 2. If not, Brandon Burton may be the best available CB for us at the end of round 2.

NJ-STEELER
03-29-2011, 02:50 PM
Last heat both Kareem Jackson and Kyle wison shot up draft boards after the combine and pro days

I wOuldnt be surprised if the same thing happens this year with one or more of the corners this year

focosteeler
03-29-2011, 03:13 PM
Last heat both Kareem Jackson and Kyle wison shot up draft boards after the combine and pro days

I wOuldnt be surprised if the same thing happens this year with one or more of the corners this year

And how did both those corners do last year after shooting up the boards?

NJ-STEELER
03-29-2011, 04:48 PM
jackson started...dont know how he did

wilson was behind revis and cromo. started a few games when revis was out

they certainly didnt take the '2 years on the sidelines learning the defense to see the field' our draft picks have to go through

Eddie Spaghetti
03-29-2011, 05:31 PM
starting in houston is a hell of a lot different than starting in pittsburgh.

lol.

Oviedo
03-29-2011, 05:36 PM

lol.

Did you watch Bmac, Gay and worse of all Madison. Do you really think Jackson would be worse?

He had 65 tackles and 2 INTs.

Chadman
03-29-2011, 05:36 PM
Sounds a lot like we are trying to talk ourselves out of what looks increasingly obvious- Aaron Williams at #31.

Big- Steelers like big CB's.

Athletic- as athletic as Brown.

Young- Junior- a la Mendy & Timmons before him.

Competition- Texas obviously doesn't play against the dregs.

Need- Steelers need a CB or 2.

Colbert & Tomlin were this obvious back in Tomlin's first draft- heavily attended Lawrence Timmons pro day, never hid the fact. Aaron Williams...

Eddie Spaghetti
03-29-2011, 05:41 PM

lol.

Did you watch Bmac, Gay and worse of all Madison. Do you really think Jackson would be worse?

i watched one team play in the Super Bowl chief.

hint- it wasn't houston. teams threw all day on that bunch. your lebeau hatred is showing again.

Oviedo
03-29-2011, 05:53 PM
[quote="Eddie Spaghetti":11lz820t]starting in houston is a hell of a lot different than starting in pittsburgh.

lol.

i watched one team play in the Super Bowl chief.

hint- it wasn't houston. teams threw all day on that bunch. your lebeau hatred is showing again.[/quote:11lz820t]

teams threw all day on that bunch

Sorta like Green Bay did on us in the Super Bowl...right!!

You keep defaulting back to the weak argument that recognizing faults on defense equates to hating LeBeau. I don't but I do recognize we can improve and not just "trust the genius"

Eddie Spaghetti
03-29-2011, 05:57 PM
houston got lit up time and time again last season.

you fail to recognize that Green Bay has the best receiving corp in the league and a QB that was hot as hell on that particular day. and we still had the ball with a chance to take the lead. our defense didn't lose us that game, i wonder if you can watch any game objectively without your anti-lebeau agenda shining through.

keep on hating brother!!!!

Oviedo
03-29-2011, 06:02 PM
houston got lit up time and time again last season.

you fail to recognize that Green Bay has the best receiving corp in the league and a QB that was hot as hell on that particular day. and we still had the ball with a chance to take the lead. our defense didn't lose us that game, i wonder if you can watch any game objectively without your anti-lebeau agenda shining through.

keep on hating brother!!!!

I'll just assume that someone ruined your marinara since you aren't reading what I'm typing :wink:

Eddie Spaghetti
03-29-2011, 06:05 PM
oh, i'm reading it.

it's basically the same thing you type over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.

i suppose a drunken burnett would have had 4 picks that day.

LOL.

NJ-STEELER
03-29-2011, 06:22 PM

lol.

you dont think he would have started over Bmac or gay???

because Bmac and gay have the best front 7 in football playing in front of them means they're both better then jackson??

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
03-29-2011, 06:23 PM
Sounds a lot like we are trying to talk ourselves out of what looks increasingly obvious- Aaron Williams at #31.

Colbert & Tomlin were this obvious back in Tomlin's first draft- heavily attended Lawrence Timmons pro day, never hid the fact. Aaron Williams...

I can't believe that it took someone this long to state this obvious fact. There are 5 top CBs in the draft. Two have no chance of falling anywhere near us and the other three have been interchangeable in many mocks.

Eddie Spaghetti
03-29-2011, 06:24 PM
is that what i said?

i am fine with our 1st round pick last year.

cue the obligatory post from ovi about the lebeau 2 year plan. :HeadBanger

birtikidis
03-29-2011, 06:26 PM
I can't remember ANYONE who didn't throw all over Houston last year.. us on the other hand... I also can't remember any teams that didn't rough up our qb.. just saying.

birtikidis
03-29-2011, 06:27 PM
Saying that... I think BMac could possibly be one of the worst corners in the NFL (though, when a team can't run on you, they're gonna throw.. just the way the world works... can't stop everyone). I'd kinda like to see what our young guys have to offer before I panic though.

Chadman
03-29-2011, 09:33 PM
The reality of things is- under a roster restriction/salary cap restriction competition- there are always going to be 'weaknesses' in the roster somewhere.

You simply can't stockpile too much talent in any one area without another suffering.

It would seem the Steelers have decided that-

1. By investing heavily in elite pass rushers at LB & elite run stoppers on the DL, that they felt that the DB position could be 'masked' by the strengths elsewhere. Now, some coaches have found ways to combat the Steelers D, and the DB's get exposed for what they are. Does that make the Steelers DB's bad? Not necessarily. It makes them the weak link on the D though- so the most likely to be targetted. That our #2 & #3 CB's get beaten is not THAT surprising. If our LB's couldn't tackle- that would be surprising.

2. By surrounding Ben with multiple weapons & refreshing his weapons regularly through the draft, the focus of cash/player resources is channelled towards skill players, and not big ugly fat dudes to sit in front of Ben. The thinking seems to be that Ben's ability to move around so well limits the need to invest heavily in the OL players. If the OL couldn't run block as well, the Steelers might be in a huge mess. But they can. They couldn't a year or two ago- but enter Maurkice Pouncey & the problem seems to be rectified. The question you have to ask- do you sacrifice skill players to perhaps improve Ben's protection? Is OL protection of Ben restricting the success of the Steelers passing game? It could be argued that now, more than ever, the Steelers passing game is at it's peak. Does the addition of a more 'elite' OL player improve that at all?

As Chadman said- in the age of salary caps & roster limits, there will always be...insufficiant...areas on the roster. The question is- what needs the most strengthening in order to remain competitive? And what can they do without?

Eddie Spaghetti
03-29-2011, 10:09 PM
stop making sense chadman.

our 4th string CB should be a Pro-Bowler!!!!!

Chadman
03-29-2011, 10:33 PM
:D

The Steelers will now find themselves in the position to do one of a few things-

1. Use the #31 pick to strengthen the OL.
2. Use the #31 pick to strengthen the CB's or Safeties.
3. Use the #31 pick to strengthen other 'positions of strength'- such as the DL, Recievers or LB's.

It's unlikely they will attempt to upgrade the QB's or RB's at #31.

The WR's are pretty young across the board, and not really lacking in skill. It would be unlikely they'll draft WR.

TE seems to be on the radar, but #31 doesn't seem likely.

They invested in 2 LB's last season, so further investment seems like overkill at this point- but not necessarily stricken from the list of possibilities. Just unlikely. If judged physically sound, Martez Wilson is a fine football player.

The DL is not currently a weakness, but with 95% of the DL population at the Steelers over 30 years old, it's a 'pressing' future need. Particularly when the defense is so heavily reliant on the front 3 being above just 'sound'. They need to be 'Good'. Getting a premier DE or NT is a good investment- not so much for 2011/12, but for the continuing success of the Steelers. The drop-off of quality in the DL prospects after the 2nd round is somewhat concerning.

Safety is like DL- not an 'immediate' need, but certainly a 'pressing' need for the future. rahim Moore has gotten some love here as a potential #31 pick. Chadman thinks that Quinton Carter in Round 2/3 might provide better value- and might be able to help with the immediate needs in the nickle/dime packages also. If CB is not selected at #31, and no good 'value' CB is available in the 2nd- Chadman is VERY comfortable with Carter at the end of the 2nd.

Here's the interesting thing about the 2 biggest 'needs' for the Steelers- both the OL & CB depth charts are filled with young emerging talents. Drafting a high round pick to those two roster positions will either result in giving up on one of these emerging players, or retarding their development as they fall behind the higher draft pick/quality player. Now, certainly, there are better prospects available in the draft than current players like Crezdon Butler, Keenan Lewis, Ramon Foster or Chris Scott. That is a given. But is it more 'prudent' for the Steelers to allow these younger players to show their worth while stocking up on obvious future needs (DL + Safety) where there are no emerging talents? It's a quandry with no easy answer.

Thankfully, much to the fans chagrin quite often, the Steelers coaches etc seem to be pretty good at restocking & keeping the team competitive. It just isn't always by the means we feel are most obvious...

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Morning take: Steelers in Texas

March, 30, 2011
By James Walker

Here are the most interesting stories Wednesday in the AFC North:

Several members of the Pittsburgh Steelers, including coach Mike Tomlin, were on hand for the University of Texas pro day this week.

Morning take: Texas cornerback Aaron Williams is the one prospect I keep hearing with Pittsburgh. He's physical and aggressive, which fits in well with the Steelers' defense. Cornerback also is a huge need for Pittsburgh.

The Cleveland Browns held a private workout for Nevada quarterback Colin Kaepernick.
Morning take: The Browns continue to show interest in quarterbacks. I'm convinced they will take one at some point in the draft to try to develop, despite their confidence in starter Colt McCoy.

The Baltimore Ravens also have taken a closer look at Iowa quarterback Ricky Stanzi.
Morning take: The Ravens do not have a backup quarterbacks under contract and could take one in the middle or later rounds. Baltimore also needs to sign a veteran, which is what it did last year with Marc Bulger.

Cincinnati Bengals linebacker Dhani Jones is auditioning to become the voice of the Aflac duck.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_ ... s-in-texas (http://espn.go.com/blog/afcnorth/post/_/id/26012/morning-take-steelers-in-texas)

StarSpangledSteeler
03-30-2011, 06:44 PM
:D

Here's the interesting thing about the 2 biggest 'needs' for the Steelers- both the OL & CB depth charts are filled with young emerging talents. Drafting a high round pick to those two roster positions will either result in giving up on one of these emerging players, or retarding their development as they fall behind the higher draft pick/quality player. Now, certainly, there are better prospects available in the draft than current players like Crezdon Butler, Keenan Lewis, Ramon Foster or Chris Scott. That is a given. But is it more 'prudent' for the Steelers to allow these younger players to show their worth while stocking up on obvious future needs (DL + Safety) where there are no emerging talents? It's a quandry with no easy answer.

I think a lot of that "emerging young talent" is still destined to be "journeyman" type talent. I don't care so much what round they were selected in, I'm talking about the skill sets they possess. Are they able compete against top talent. I don't see much sense in us drafting more 4th-6th round talent at CB. We've got enough of that already. Same thing applies to OT and OG. We need Pouncey, Carimi, even Ijalana type talent to UPGRADE our current OL. There are a slew of corners in rounds 1-3 who could very quickly replace and UPGRADE the talent in our current secondary.

BTW - How much of an upgrade do you think Carter would be over Clark or Mundy?

steelz09
03-30-2011, 06:48 PM

I can't believe that it took someone this long to state this obvious fact. There are 5 top CBs in the draft. Two have no chance of falling anywhere near us and the other three have been interchangeable in many mocks.

Williams is not my #1 pick but I wouldn't be upset if that's the route they went. I also wouldn't mind Brandon Harris.

If we draft a CB in round 1 then we better plan to play for man-to-man on the outside. There is no point of drafting a CB in the 1st round if your playing 15 yards off the receiver. The Brady, Brees, Rodgers of the world will continuously pick that type of cushion apart.

steelz09
03-30-2011, 06:49 PM
Saying that... I think BMac could possibly be one of the worst corners in the NFL (though, when a team can't run on you, they're gonna throw.. just the way the world works... can't stop everyone). I'd kinda like to see what our young guys have to offer before I panic though.

I think Gay is worse than bmac by far.

Chadman
03-30-2011, 06:55 PM
BTW - How much of an upgrade do you think Carter would be over Clark or Mundy?

Over Mundy? Probably reasonably significant. Carter is described as a hybrid FS/CB type who is very good in coverage but is also a good hitter. Mundy can hit.

Over Clark? At this point- probably none. But remember, it's about future need- not immediate. Clark is aging, not improving.

Chadman
03-30-2011, 07:04 PM

Gay simply can't play man-to-man at all. He's ok in Zone- that's it.

RuthlessBurgher
03-30-2011, 07:52 PM

Gay is reasonably solid in the nickel back role, except when he is trying to cover 6'6" tight ends or trying to tackle Adrian Peterson. He has even shown to be an accomplished blitzer from the nickel slot. Just don't put him outside of the numbers on an island. He sucks there.

hawaiiansteel
03-30-2011, 07:56 PM
Williams, Acho, Huey fare well at Horns' NFL pro day

Jay Janner /AMERICAN-STATESMAN

http://www.statesman.com/multimedia/dynamic/00804/jwj-NFL-Pro-Timing-_804984k.jpg

Former Texas defensive back Aaron Williams stretches to make a catch on Tuesday.

Aaron Williams had two goals for Tuesday's pro timing day.

The Longhorns' former defensive back wanted to prove to representatives of all 32 NFL teams that he possesses the quickness to be a cornerback at the next level.

That, he did.

He also wanted to prove he had the hands to convert his quickness and size into interceptions.

He did that, too.

All in all, it was a good day at the office for Williams, who might have taken a step in ensuring he'll be a first-round pick when the three-day NFL draft begins April 28.

"I definitely accomplished my goals today," Williams said. "I felt really strong."

Williams, a former McNeil star who is leaving for the NFL after his junior season at Texas, got his day off to a great start when he ran the 40-yard dash.

Weighing in at 201 pounds on a 6-foot frame - three pounds less than he weighed at the NFL scouting combine in early March - Williams tore through the 40 in an official time of 4.44 seconds.

That was considerably faster than his combine times of 4.53 and 4.52. His time Tuesday was unofficially listed initially at 4.36, but his representatives from CAA Sports said it was adjusted to 4.44.

"That was a little relieving to me," Williams said of his 40 clocking. "It definitely boosted my confidence and made me relax more going into the position drills."

Later in the Denius Field practice bubble, Williams, unlike at the combine, caught most of the balls thrown his way. He ended the position drills by backpedaling on a deep route, breaking on the ball and making a leaping, two-handed catch.

"That was actually very pleasing to me," Williams said. "That's one of the great things I do - go up for the ball and get it. Probably about 85 or 90 percent of the time I come down with it. I had to show them I have the ability to do that."

Many draft analysts see Williams as a late-first, early-second pick. His agent, Ben Dogra, said Williams' 4.4 clocking provides "a comfort zone" for teams needing a cornerback.

"I don't know if it (4.4) makes a huge difference," Dogra said. "I think it's important from the standpoint that when teams are trying to make an evaluation as to whether he's a corner or safety because of his size, 4.4 is a measuring stick.

"No one, single component is going to dictate where Aaron gets drafted," Dogra added. "But bigger and faster is better than smaller and slower."

Several other Longhorns among the 13 who worked out - there were two NFL head coaches present, Mike Tomlin of Pittsburgh and Jim Schwartz of Detroit - also helped themselves Tuesday.

Sam Acho, who might make the transition to outside linebacker from defensive end if he gets drafted by a team that plays a 3-4, participated only in the position drills to demonstrate he can drop into coverage. He rarely did that at Texas.

"I was very pleased," said Acho, who weighed 259 pounds, three less than at the combine. "I thought it went real well."

Acho, who said he has visits planned with the New York Jets and Baltimore Ravens, spent several minutes after pro day visiting with Tomlin and Kevin Colbert, the Steelers' director of football operations.

Offensive lineman Michael Huey, whose 2010 season ended in the Oct. 30 game with Baylor when he tore the medial collateral ligament and meniscus in his right knee, also did well.

Huey officially benched 225 pounds 36 times, although one was discounted because he didn't complete it; the most any offensive linemen did at the combine was 34 times. The 304-pound Huey also ran the 40 in 5.1 seconds, had a 33-inch vertical jump and a 9.5-foot standing broad jump.

"I definitely feel I opened some eyes," said Huey, who wasn't invited to the combine. "Hopefully I'll get a little bit of attention."

Cornerback Curtis Brown, who did the combine and is projected to go as high as late in the second round, tried to work in the drills Tuesday, but had to pull out because he was weak after spending the past four days in bed with the flu.

"All of them saw enough of Curtis at the combine that he's helped himself," Texas coach Mack Brown said. "They were appreciative that even though he had the flu he came out and tried to work."

Helping themselves

Some Longhorns who may have helped themselves in Tuesday's pro day:

Aaron Williams, DB: Made up for a sub-par NFL combine by running a 4.4 and handling position drills.

Michael Huey, OL: He wasn't a combine invitee, but had one more bench press than the top offensive lineman did at the combine; plus he showed that he's successfully rehabbed from a serious knee injury in late October.

Sam Acho, DE/LB: Coming off an impressive scouting combine, Acho may have endeared himself even more Tuesday by showing he can drop back into coverage if needed.

http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhor ... 59783.html (http://www.statesman.com/sports/longhorns/williams-acho-huey-fare-well-at-horns-nfl-1359783.html)

Chadman
03-30-2011, 08:49 PM
Back-to-back Longhorns this year?

Williams in Round 1, Acho in Round 2?

Wouldn't be the worst result....

PSU_dropout43
03-30-2011, 10:36 PM
Beware of skill players from the Big Twelve (Texas and Oklahoma).

D Rock
03-31-2011, 08:17 AM
yeah those guys suck. What are their names...they're so bad I can't even remember...something along the lines of Adrian Masterson and Tim Bradford I think.

RuthlessBurgher
03-31-2011, 09:07 AM

I'll take all Badgers...J.J. Watt, Gabe Carimi, Lance Kendricks, John Moffitt...

Oviedo
03-31-2011, 09:52 AM

I'll take all Badgers...J.J. Watt, Gabe Carimi, Lance Kendricks, John Moffitt...

How about all Panthers:

Jon Baldwin, WR
Jabaal Sheard, DL
Jason Pinkston, OL
Dion Lewis, RB
Greg Romeus, DL
Henry Hynoski, FB/TE
Dom De Cicco, S

Oviedo
04-04-2011, 07:31 AM

Gay simply can't play man-to-man at all. He's ok in Zone- that's it.

Other than Ike NONE of our DBs can play man to man. Therein lies the problem. We have drafted zone cover guys to fit LeBeau's scheme but the league has evolved past the scheme putting 3 and 4 receivers on the field which requires either you get to the QB really quick or you have to cover man to man.